Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Spot on, Terry. Thanks again.
    Matthew 23:27 is right up that alley also.
    Psalm 15 shows the benefits of being clean from the inside out.
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Thank you, guys!

For today:

Man does not like to admit that his sinfulness and rebellion are at the heart of the problems of society. He's much more comfortable discussing imperfections, weaknesses, mistakes, and errors in judgment. These terms are socially acceptable, and almost everyone identifies with them. But an outright acknowledgment of guilt before a holy God, a 100-percent acceptance of responsibility for wrong- doing, runs against the grain. Yet this kind of honesty is the first step to the freedom from sin and guilt that God longs to give us and has provided in the death of Christ.
    The story is told that one day Frederick the Great, King of Prussia, visited a prison and talked with each of the inmates. There were endless tales of innocence, of misunderstood motives, and of exploitation. Finally the king stopped at the cell of a convict who remained silent. "Well," remarked Frederick, "I suppose you are an innocent victim too?" "No, sir, I'm not," replied the man. "I'm guilty and deserve my punishment." Turning to the warden, the king said, "Here, release this rascal before he corrupts all these fine innocent people in here!"

This is the way it works with ourselves and God; As long as we profess our innocence, or blame our parents, or our environment, or our dis-advantaged situation, or our genetic makeup which caused us to be 'born this way', we will continue to rot in the ruin of our own sinfulness. When we realize and admit, however, that we are SINNERS, and that it is US that is at fault, he lifts us out of the cesspool of our own making!

Proverbs 28:13 (KJV);
    “He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy.”

1 John 1:8-9 (KJV);
    “If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.”

May God bless each one of us with perfect vision for self-examination.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Mainly in others

;)

Cheers Terry
  4. BlackEagle

Maybe the hardest words to say are "I was wrong. I'm sorry. Would you please forgive me?"

As I recall, the Hebrew word for repentance means to turn around and go back.

Amen and thanks, Terry.
  5. skullfr

skullfr New Member

amen great message
  6. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

Great as usual Terry

Isaiah 30:15
    This is what the Sovereign LORD, the Holy One of Israel, says: "In repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength, but you would have none of it.
  7. ampaterry

Thank you, guys!

For today:

In a painfully honest look at his own life, W.E. Sangster wrote in his journal that although he was a minister, the spiritual passion in his private life had languished. He made the following observations.
    * I am irritable and easily put out.
    * I am impatient with my wife and children.
    * I am deceitful in that I often express private annoyance when a caller is announced and simulate pleasure when I actually greet them.
    * From an examination of my heart, I conclude that most of my study has been crudely ambitious; that I wanted degrees more than knowledge and praise rather than equipment for service.
    * Even in my preaching I fear that I am more often wondering what the people think of me, than what they think about my Lord and His word.
    * I have long felt in a vague way that something was hindering the effectiveness of my ministry and I must conclude that the "something" is my failure in living the truly Christian life.
    * I am driven in pain to conclude that the girl who has lived as a maid in my house for more than three years has not felt drawn to the Christian life because of me.
    * I find slight envies in my heart at the greater success of other young ministers. I seem to match myself with them in thought and am vaguely jealous when they attract more notice than I do.
    If you kept a journal of your life, and kept it HONESTLY, how would it read? Would it be as critical of you as this? NOW is the time to change!

2 Corinthians 4:11 (TLB);
    “Yes, we live under constant danger to our lives because we serve the Lord, but this gives us constant opportunities to show forth the power of Jesus Christ within our dying bodies.”
    Gal 2:20 (TLB);
    “I have been crucified with Christ: and I myself no longer live, but Christ lives in me. And the real life I now have within this body is a result of my trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.”

May God bless each one of us with this kind of brutal honesty in self-examination.
  8. skullfr

skullfr New Member

great message.I know I am lacking in the way I live.I tend to find myself letting the world govern my life instead of letting God take control.The right path is so hard to stay on and we all fall short in his desire for us to live right.I tend to get bent when reading these post and the evil comes to the surface.Thanks for reminding me.
  9. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Great message Terry.
    I must confess; Mr. Sangster's self examination exercise sounds very much like mine. It is a struggle for me a lot of times to be more patient & less irritable with those I love.

But, some of the most difficult introspection's come from an honest critique of the carnal man that still prevents me from soaring in the "Spirit".

-
  10. BlackEagle

The last few days remind me of James 1:22-25.
    The self examination that leads to life change gives freedom and success in God's eyes.

Thanks, Terry.
  11. ampaterry

Thank you, guys!

We will be on the road for the next three days. I will have my notebook with me, but will be depending on other internet connections, so understand if I do not get every days devotional posted - or ANY days, for that matter - between now and Tuesday when we will be back home.

Stanley Jones wrote this about a crucial moment in his life when he found himself on his way to what could have been a spiritual disaster:

For months after my conversion, I was running under cloudless skies. And then suddenly I tripped, almost fell, pulled back this side of the sin, but was shaken and humiliated that I could come that close to sin. I thought I was emancipated and found I wasn't. I went to the class meeting -- I'm grateful that I didn't stay away -- went, but my music had gone. I had hung my harp on a weeping willow tree. As the others spoke of their joys and victories of the week, I sat there with the tears rolling down my cheeks. I was heartbroken. After the others had spoken, John Zink, the class leader, said: "Now, Stanley, tell us what is the matter." I told them I couldn't, but would they please pray for me? Like one man they fell to their knees, and they lifted me back to the bosom of God by faith and love.
    When we got up from our knees, I was reconciled to my heavenly Father, to the group, and to myself. I was reconciled. The universe opened its arms and took me in again. The estrangement was gone. I took my harp from the willow tree and began to sing again -- the Song of Moses and the Lamb, especially the Lamb. The cross was my refuge and my release.
    That was a very crucial moment in my Song of Ascents, the moment when I lost my music. My destiny was in the hands of that group. I was a very bruised reed; suppose they had broken me? I was a smoldering wick; suppose they had snuffed me out? Just a criticism: "I told you so. Too good to be true. He was riding for a fall." But they never uttered a criticism, or even thought of one, as far as I could see. The reaction was nothing but redemptive love. That group became redemptive. I saw and experienced the power of redemptive love incarnate in a group.

Galatians 6:1 (NCV);
    “Brothers and sisters, if someone in your group does something wrong, you who are spiritual should go to that person and gently help make him right again. But be careful, because you might be tempted to sin, too.”

May God bless each one of you!
  12. HAGEN442

HAGEN442 New Member

Very Meaningfull
    Thanks
    HAve a Safe Trip
  13. skullfr

skullfr New Member

great have a safe trip and may God watch over you.
  14. ampaterry

Thank you, guys!
    Here safe in IL, and even have internet at the motel!

For today:

Today is Coast Guard Day. The Coast Guard started on August 4th of 1790, when congress authorized the construction of ten cutters to enforce our tariff and trade laws, and fight smuggling. Back then, it was called the Revenue Cutter Service.
    In 1871, the Life-Saving Service was created. Their goal was to save the lives of shipwrecked people.
    In 1915, by an act of Congress, these two were merged into a single agency named the Coast Guard.
    From their web-site:
    “The Coast Guard is one of the oldest organizations of the federal government and until Congress established the Navy Department in 1798 we served as the nation's only armed force afloat. We protected the nation throughout our long history and served proudly in every one of the nation's conflicts. Our national defense responsibilities remain one of our most important functions even today. In times of peace we operate as part of the Department of Homeland Security, serving as the nation's front-line agency for enforcing the nation's laws at sea, protecting the marine environment and the nation's vast coastline and ports, and saving life. In times of war, or at the direction of the President, we serve under the Navy Department.”

The Word of God tells us:
    Genesis 6:13-14(a) (KJV);
    And God said unto Noah, The end of all flesh is come before me; for the earth is filled with violence through them; and, behold, I will destroy them with the earth. Make thee an ark of gopher wood . . . .

Today, the earth is filled with violence also. And today, just as Noah preserved and protected mankind and beasts through the use of a ship, our coast guard preserves and protects mankind and beasts through the use of many ships.

Lord, put a hedge around all members of the Coast Guard today, and around the members of all our armed services. Protect them in the work they do, Father, and let them know that they are loved and appreciated.

Amen -
  15. skullfr

skullfr New Member

The CG is a great service.Many young men and women have sacrificed thier lives in the preservation of lives.
    Dear Father,please watch over our young men and women and guide them in your service to mankind. Amen