Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. HAGEN442

HAGEN442 New Member

Good Job
    Stay Safe On Your Trip

Thanks
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Today is another recognized day. In 1935, the US Congress declared the first Sunday in August, today, as Friendship Day. The celebration of this day has become international now, and in 1997 the United Nations named a world ambassador of Friendship: Winnie the Pooh. I must say that in my opinion this was one of their better actions, but I will add the caveat that the bar on that is not very high to begin with.
    So, is this the day that we join hands with all people of all political, religious, and moral beliefs in a big circle around a campfire and sing Cum-bay-ah?
    Sorry – no sale.
    This is a day to celebrate friendship; true, real friendship. It has been said that a friend will come and visit you when you are in jail, but a TRUE friend will be sitting beside you in the cell saying “Man, that was FUN!!”
    We all have many many acquaintances, but if we have ONE real, true friend, we are very fortunate.
    I have a friend that I have known since we were 12 years old who still lives in IL. We will be visiting him today, in fact. A few years ago, I said to him; “Man, do you realize we have been friends for over FIFTY YEARS??”
    He thought for a moment, then said “It's time to get some new friends!”
    A true friend is one you would trust with your life, and one you would risk your own life for. You may not agree on everything, but you agree to disagree on the things you differ on, and continue a friendship in spite of that.
    A relative can be a friend, but not necessarily:
    Proverbs 17:17 (KJV); “A friend loveth at all times, and a brother is born for adversity.”
    You cannot pick your relatives, but you do pick your friends:
    Proverbs 18:24 (NCV); “Some friends may ruin you, but a real friend will be more loyal than a brother.”

On this day, pick up the phone and call your friend. Tell them you love them, and HANG the current connotation that some perverted people have given that word today.

May God bless each of you with at least one true friend!
  3. skullfr

skullfr New Member

So right.true friends are hard to come by.I have been blessed with 2 true friends and cherish them more than a family member.Thanks for reminding me to make the call today.
  4. ampaterry

Yesterday was a recognized day in two different cultures. I talked about Friendship Day yesterday, and today will talk about the other event that yesterday is recognized for.
    Yesterday, the Muslims celebrate Nuzulul Qur'an. I have searched the internet, and have not found a single site that explains this holiday in anything but the worst sort of pigeon English, but it seems that date in the month of Ramadan was, through some unknown logic, selected as the day to celebrate the giving of the Koran to mankind. The Koran itself, in 2:185, directs to celebrate the giving of the Koran this month, but does not give the day. Since the Koran was given in multiple stages over a long period of time, I have no idea why this date was selected to celebrate it.
    But I did find one very interesting fact from researching this on the internet. Virtually every site that mentions this holiday talks about it as the time that the Koran was handed down from God to Muhammad. But their English is such that they have a difficult time conveying that idea. One sight calls it the Genesis Koran, while several others have difficulty translating the concept of handing the Koran down to their profit – er – I mean prophet. Most of them speak of this as the decline of the Koran.

Applicable scripture:
    Jeremiah 14:14 (KJV);
    “Then the LORD said unto me, The prophets prophesy lies in my name: I sent them not, neither have I commanded them, neither spake unto them: they prophesy unto you a false vision and divination, and a thing of nought, and the deceit of their heart.”

1 John 4:1-3 (KJV);
    “Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world. Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God: And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.”

So today, Brothers and sisters, please join me in working for proper Christian/Islam relations:
    In keeping with their own words, Pray with me for the decline of the Koran.
  5. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

We owe much to the profit er prophet pbuh. He was able to unite many of the worlds insane under one easily identifiable banner.
  6. skullfr

skullfr New Member

7. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks again, Terry;
    I know this is taking time out from your visit with your friend; I hope and pray you and he are getting some good catch up time, and that you'll have a good safe trip home.
  8. ampaterry

Good morning, guys!
    Had a GREAT trip, for the most part.
    One outstanding thing happened the last day, which I will share with you before todays devotional:

I REALLY wanted to eat at a Chick-fil-a while up there, but there weren't any in the area. On the way back, we found one in Paducah, KY, and stopped there for lunch.
    It was 10:15 AM yesterday, a Monday, when we pulled in to their lot. There was a line of cars at the drive-up window that extended clear around the parking lot. We parked and went inside, to find about ten people in line at the counter. We waited our turn, ordered a couple of Chicken Sandwiches and retired to a table where we watched the cluckers POUR out of this place in a constant stream. We were there for 45 minutes and it never let up; I can only imagine what it is like during the lunch rush at noon to 1 PM!
    When we were finished, a distinguished gray haired gentleman took our tray for us and then introduced himself as the manager and asked if we enjoyed the food. We told him it was EXCELLENT, and I commented on the amount of business he had. He said it had been this way for two weeks now; constant from the time they open the doors in the morning until they lock them at night. I asked about the gay protest the media had talked about, and he said there were four or five people showed up there one day holding signs with Bible verses on them concerning love and salvation. He went out to talk to them, and they challenged him for not loving them as a Christian is supposed to do. He told them that they were confusing loving the sinner, which he does, with endorsing their sin, which he does not. After just a few minutes, they took their signs and left - and that was the sum total of any opposition to the brave position taken by this company.
    He also told me he saw this on a McDonalds sign:

We stand with Chick-Fil-A
    Please boycott us, too!

This is VERY cheering to me.
    It is POSSIBLE that this single event will wake some people up and cause businesses to realize that taking a position that caters to the radical minority while insulting the vast majority is NOT good for business!

And now, finally, todays devotional:

A huge tree in Colorado fell to the ground with a resounding crash after having stood majestically on a hill for more than 400 years. Just a sapling when Columbus landed in San Salvador, over the centuries it had been struck by lightning 14 times, braved great windstorms, and even defied an earthquake. In the end, however, it was killed by some little beetles. Boring under the bark, they chewed away at its fibers until one day that great king of the forest came thundering down. That’s the way apparently insignificant sins often make their way into our spiritual lives, and if left unchecked may cause our downfall. The idle word spoken, the prayer time omitted, and the occasional fleshly pleasure indulged -- these things "spoil" the vineyard much more than we realize. If Satan gets his toe in the door on inconsistency, he will NOT quit forcing his way on into our lives.

1 Peter 2:11-12 (NRSV);
    “Beloved, I urge you as aliens and exiles to abstain from the desires of the flesh that wage war against the soul. Conduct yourselves honorably among the Gentiles, so that, though they malign you as evildoers, they may see your honorable deeds and glorify God when he comes to judge.”

People can know our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and escape the world’s filth. But if they get involved in this filth again and give in to it, they are worse off than they were before. It would have been better for them never to have known the way of life that God approves of than to know it and turn their backs on the holy life God told them to live. These proverbs have come true for them: “A dog goes back to its vomit,” and “A sow that has been washed goes back to roll around in the mud.””
    One way to avoid this rot from within is to fellowship with other believers. Holding each other up is a great way to assure that any that stumble do not fall; and IF they fall, there are many to pick them back up and place them on their feet again! One way to assure you are rightly envolved in this is to join yourself with a good Bible believing church where you can both receive from and give support to others.

May God bless each and every one of you!!
  9. skullfr

skullfr New Member

I know I am far from where I need to be.Thanks for reminding me and helping to keep me headed in the right direction.
  10. BlackEagle

11. ampaterry

From Sermon Central:
    “As we faithfully serve the Lord through the power of His Spirit, the devil's hosts will begin to attack us with all their might. As a result, we may be called upon to suffer for Christ's sake. The veteran missionary Russell Ebersole was once greatly encouraged by the beloved Bible teacher William Pettingill. After Ebersole told him of the disappointments and trials he had faced on the foreign field, Pettingill exclaimed, 'Brother, that means you're on the right track. If you never experience any opposition or setbacks in the Lord's work, you ought to get down on your knees and ask Him to show you what you're doing wrong!'"

So how are things going with you today? Is everything going well? Why? Now don’t misunderstand; Jesus will give us great times of rest, and he does shower blessings upon us because he loves us! We should not, however, consider this to be the normal situation of a Christian. If the Devil is not after you, it is because you are not doing anything to worry him! I feel sorry for the great evangelists who are leading thousands to the Lord; I know the Devil is working overtime on them, and they remain in my prayers for strength in their work. I encourage you to keep them in your prayers also.

Ephesians 6:12 (KJV);
    “For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.”

Revelation 2:10 (KJV);
    “Fear none of those things which thou shalt suffer: behold, the devil shall cast some of you into prison, that ye may be tried; and ye shall have tribulation ten days: be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life.”

We don’t WANT trials and tribulations, but we can bear them better if we understand them! Rejoice when the Lord is blessing you with good times, and take heart when things are falling apart – for you have made the devil mad, and that is a VERY good thing!

May God richly bless each and every one of you!
  12. skullfr

skullfr New Member

13. BlackEagle

And Jesus always votes for us, regardless of how the rest of the world and the devil is voting. A white stone in a jury trial in New Testament times was a vote in favour of the accused. A black stone was a vote for condemnation.

Revelation 2:17--17 Whoever has ears, let them hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To the one who is victorious, I will give some of the hidden manna. I will also give that person a white stone with a new name written on it, known only to the one who receives it.

Thanks, Terry.
  14. ampaterry

I remember a little independent Baptist church we used to attend many years ago in Illinois. Several of us thought the services were really too dry and formal, and things should be livened up. We talked several folks into joining my family in livening up the service just a bit. We decided that we would ask for a faster hymn, and we would start clapping in time with it. Now don’t get me wrong, these were GOOD people, but they had become a bit set in their ways, and did not think much of change. We were sitting together, and when the hymn started, we started clapping in time – and others in the church did NOT join in. In fact, several of the members kept turning their heads and watching us like they had never heard of clapping to music before. After some time, a few joined us, however, and it became sort of a clapping and nonclapping seating arrangement in that little church! And the services IMPROVED! Even those that would never join us accepted it as a legitimate part of worship.

The Lord led us to leave Illinois, and to re-furbish and open Bethany Church, which I have now pastored for over twenty five years. I have diligently worked not to forget the lessons learned in that little Baptist church in the corn fields of Illinois.

In fact, in the early days I called for a vote, and not one single person voted that they would be offended if anyone clapped or even if they got to shouting during a service. So, clap to any hymn you want to! You can even shout if the spirit moves you!

1 Thessalonians 5:16-19 (KJV);
    16 Rejoice evermore.
    17 Pray without ceasing.
    18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
    19 Quench not the Spirit.

We do not serve a god of bondage -
    We have TRUE freedom!
    We have REAL liberty through Jesus Christ!
    Do not allow anyone to put you into bondage to tradition.
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Amen , Amen , Amen