Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Thank you, guys!

Mid day in Japan on August 15, 1945, Emperor Hirohito announced Japan's surrender in a radio broadcast to the Japanese people. They also sent a cable to President Harry Truman via the Swiss diplomatic mission in Washington, D.C. A nation-wide broadcast by President Truman was aired at seven o'clock p.m, local time in Washington, D.C. on August 14 which announced this fact.

Since the European Axis Powers had surrendered three months earlier, V-J (Victory in Japan) Day would be the official end of World War II. In Australia and most other allied nations, the name V-P Day was used.

On August 15 and 16 some Japanese soldiers, devastated by the surrender, committed suicide. Well over 100 American prisoners of war also were executed. In addition, many Australian and British prisoners of war were executed in Borneo, at both Ranau and Sandakan, by the Imperial Japanese Army. At Batu Lintang camp, also in Borneo, death orders were found which proposed the execution of some 2,000 POWs and civilian internees on September 15, 1945.

The history revisionists try to make the case that the Atomic bombs we dropped on Japan were not necessary to end the war. The fact is, ending the war sooner in this way saved countless lives on BOTH sides. War is a horrid thing. Often, though, it is better than the alternative.

But there will come a time when all wars will cease:
    Isaiah 2:2-4 (KJV);
    “And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD'S house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it. And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.”

I pray for, and look forward to, that time.

May God bless each one of you -
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

3. skullfr

skullfr New Member

4. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

5. ampaterry

Today is Lailat-al-Qadr.

Maybe.

The exact date of this is rather undecided, but it is felt that it falls sometime during the last ten days of Ramadan. This holiday, called the Night of Power, and the Night of Spiritual Bliss, is to celebrate the night on which Alah revealed the entire Koran to Muhammad.

Does that sound familiar?

Yes, it should.

It was just a few days ago that they celebrated Nuzulul Qur'an, which was also a celebration of the giving of the Koran. The best I can figure, the previous day celebrated the giving of the Koran, while today celebrates the giving of the last book of the Koran, making it complete.

Anyway, like all Islamic holidays, this one can fall on any date, depending on the year it is in, due to the Islamic calendar ignoring the sun and following the moon.
    There are mystical powers associated with this holiday. Sallallaahy Alayhi Wasallam said:
    “Verily this month has come to you; and therein is a night which is better than a thousand Months. Whosoever is deprived of it, is deprived of all good; and none is deprived of its good except a totally unfortunate person”.
    “Whosoever stands up at the Night of Power out of faith and hopeful of reward, all his past sins will be forgiven.”

The Bible tells us what brings forgiveness for sins.

Under the first covenant, it was the repeated sacrifices of animals:
    Hebrews 9:22 (KJV);
    And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

And under the new covenant:
    Colossians 1:12-14 (KJV);
    Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light: Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son: In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

There are no other alternatives, my brothers and sisters -
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

yesterday here , night of power , another made up holiday that dont match the koran or hadiths .. , a excuse to demand we treat muslims fairer and give them a 40% increase in their welfare payments .. , so much for a holiday where a night of prayers can equal 1000 years of salat .. just another excuse to stick it to the kaffirs ..

accept NO Substitute , Redemption through Christ Jesus or bust ..
  7. BlackEagle

Thanks again Terry;

Jack, so true.

God's work of redemption and His Word brings light and life.

Passages in scripture tell how evil is done at night while good is done in the light.

John 1:9-13
  8. ampaterry

Thanks, guys!
    SOO true!

for today:

In 1519, Cortez set foot ashore on the East coast of Mexico with the intent of conquering this new land. The fleet he brought with him carried 700 men on it's 11 ships. What incentive could he use to inspire his party to move forward into an unknown land? What could he say to them to ensure that none would turn back if they encountered hardship? He took the boldest action possible, and one that absolutely guaranteed no one would retreat, no matter what they might encounter: He set fire to all the ships.
    His men watched the ships burn and sink below the waves and they were galvanized to move forward since there was now no other direction to go.
    Each one of us, as we set out on the Christian journey of exploration (of the world) and conquest (of the 'old man'), should use this same method of ensuring we do not turn around and head back to where we once were. This is one of those few times in life when we SHOULD burn our bridges behind us.

Luke 9:62 (KJV);
    “And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plow, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

Luke 14:26-33 (TLB);
    Anyone who wants to be my follower must love me far more than he does his own father, mother, wife, children, brothers, or sisters—yes, more than his own life—otherwise he cannot be my disciple. And no one can be my disciple who does not carry his own cross and follow me.
    “But don’t begin until you count the cost. For who would begin construction of a building without first getting estimates and then checking to see if he has enough money to pay the bills? Otherwise he might complete only the foundation before running out of funds. And then how everyone would laugh!
    “‘See that fellow there?’ they would mock. ‘He started that building and ran out of money before it was finished!’
    “Or what king would ever dream of going to war without first sitting down with his counselors and discussing whether his army of 10,000 is strong enough to defeat the 20,000 men who are marching against him?
    “If the decision is negative, then while the enemy troops are still far away, he will send a truce team to discuss terms of peace. So no one can become my disciple unless he first sits down and counts his blessings—and then renounces them all for me.

Forward, my brothers and sisters -
    Always forward!
  9. BlackEagle

Commitment...sort of like pointing your canoe into the rapids and holding on for dear life until you come out the other side.

Thanks again, Terry.
  10. ampaterry

Indeed, BlackEagle - exactly like that!

For today:

Today, the last day of Ramadan, is Al Qud's day. As with all Islamic holidays, this one comes earlier each year. But even more than that, it seems the Muslims themselves cannot keep track of when this holiday really falls. I have checked dozens of Islamic sites, and virtually none of them agree on what date it falls this year! But whenever it is, this is a day set aside by Muslims to engender Palestinian solidarity against the Jewish People in general and Zionists in particular.

Imam Khomeini once said "If each Muslim were to pour out
    (just) one bucket of water, there would be a flood to wash away Zionism."

I would modify that just a bit, and say “If each Muslim were to hold his head in a bucket of water for 30 minutes, there would be an end to the hatred and murder of Israeli's, Jews, and most other victims of terror in this world.”

But that is not politically correct – even though it is tragically absolutely true. Islam was formed in violence, spread in violence, and maintains it's hold over people and nations through violence. The Koran has plain directives to all Muslims that they must convert, enslave, or kill all people of all other beliefs.

But the President of the United States – more than one of them, actually, has made the statement that Islam is a “religion of peace”. Whether those presidents were ignorant of the truth, or whether they hoped that reality could be changed by their pronouncements, I do not know. But I do know this: They are tragically wrong.
    For the real truth about Islam, do not listen to a Muslim living in a country that is predominantly some other faith, where they are trying to be accepted. Instead, listen to the words of the Muslims that live in Islamic countries. They have no reason to white-wash their faith, and will instead speak the truth about it, like Khomeini did above, or Nasrallah below:

"Israel is our enemy. This is an aggressive, illegal, illegitimate entity that has no future in our land. Its destiny is manifested in our motto – Death to Israel”

May God bless each one of us, and strengthen us to withstand everything the Evil One can send our way - -
  11. BlackEagle

Rev. Bassam M. Madany has been a friend of Dad's since their days in college--around 60 years. Bassam has had a mission work to Muslim countries for years, including radio broadcasts into these countries. Here's one of his articles: Why Islam Is Different from All Other Faiths

Thanks again, Terry
  12. ampaterry

That is an excellent article, and thank you BlackEagle.

That should be REQUIRED READING for anyone that wants to extend religious freedom to Islam just as they do to Baptists or Budhists.
  13. ampaterry

I remember when Jim and Tammy Bakker were exposed for all the funds they were skimming from their ministry. A lot of people at work were talking about it, what a tragedy it was. I responded that I knew there were some bad eggs out there, but people just had to realize that the Devil works OVERTIME on evangelists, and the bigger they are, the harder he works on them! The devil is not stupid; how many Christians did he drive from the kingdom when he took down Jim and Tammy? Then I added that if there was one evangelist I believed did what’s right, it would be Jimmy Swaggart.

This is from a USA Today article from many years ago. Larry King was commenting on the Jimmy Swaggart scandal:
    "Thoughts on the Rev. Jimmy Swaggart, who this writer knows pretty well: I would buy all of the sadness and tears and recriminations if, and this is a big if, Jimmy had come forward with his problem before somebody had pictures proving it. Anybody can be repentant when caught. Also, if he really wanted true forgiveness he could donate his estate and all that property to some worthy charity. Give up all his earthly goods. As Lenny Bruce once told me, "If Jesus Christ came back, he wouldn't own more than one suit as long as somebody in the world had no clothes."

More recently, we find Pat Robertson used the airplanes of Operation Blessing – almost exclusively – to bring mining equipment into Zaire instead of relief supplies, because he is sole owner of a major diamond mine there.

Matthew 19:21-22 (KJV);
    “Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me. But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions.”

Now there is nothing at all wrong with having nice things; but when you see an evangelist pleading for people to give ‘sacrificially’ to their ministry, while they live in a mansion and own a bunch of expensive cars, you should suspect that something is wrong there!

May God bless each one of you -
  14. BlackEagle

Isaiah 53 describes Jesus as a non-ostentatious person who went about getting God's work done. Paul and everyone else was the same.

Someone said God's work done in God's way will not lack God's resources to get it done.

Again, it is all too easy to become distracted from the work God has given us to do.

Thanks, Terry.
  15. ampaterry

Following the last day of Ramadan in the Islamic calendar, the Islamics mark the first day of the month of Shawal. This day is called Id Al-Fitr, which means “The festival of breaking the fast”. or just Id for short. Five of the twelve Islamic holidays are keyed to Ramadan, the other seven are scattered through the rest of the year. The first day after Ramadan is a day of celebration. Since they fasted every day during Ramadan, and also abstained from marital sex for the entire month, this is the day they celebrate the end of that.

Devout Muslims begin this celebration by taking a bath, using deodorant and putting on clean clothes today. Note that these practices are specified for today, which indicates that bathing, deodorant and clean clothes are not the normal daily routine for them.
    Tonight, they will have parties. No drinking and no dancing, but they will have soft drinks, eat sherbet, and hug each other three times as specified in the Koran. During these hugs, I would think that the bath, deodorant and clean clothes are appreciated.

The Koran also specifies they must give alms to the poor today. The gift must be free of liens, and is satisfied with giving 3 ½ pounds of wheat flour, or the value of that. Checking Sam's Club, I find that 25 pounds of wheat flour costs $7.10, which makes this gift less than a dollar. Now it IS specified that this is the minimum they are to give, so they exceed the requirement if they give a whole dollar. But of course, that is from each one, so a family with three kids gives five bucks to the poor per year. It does have to be free and clear, though.

Later tonight, some will go to visit cemeteries, often staying for hours or even camping out overnight there to honor their ancestors. I rather like this particular practice -

Jesus indicates that cleanliness was such a common daily thing that he chastises Simon for not supplying him with water to wash his feet :
    Luke 7:44 (KJV);
    And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon, Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped them with the hairs of her head.

I thought of a dozen pithy ways to end this, but I got control of myself and will simply close it with an appeal to God that he would have mercy on all those that follow a false religion.

And may He bless each one here -