Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Re: Chaplains Corner

AMEN !
    Thanks Terry
    We all have difficult task each and every day, but with God's help we seem to make it through.
    May God Bless.
  2. Just One Shot

Just One Shot Member

3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

My gosh, this is AWESOME!

THANK YOU, Just One Shot!
  4. ampaterry

When we find ourselves among sinful people who respect us, we ought to be particularly careful - even nervous. The hatred of the world, when poured on Christians in the form of persecution, is seldom harmful to our spiritual nature. In fact, it may even be useful at times!
    I once read about a beautiful young woman who had to spend a lot of time traveling for her job. A friend asked her if she ever encountered unwanted advances from men while she was alone on the road. She said she had, but was able to stop them with five simple words: 'Are you a born-again Christian?'.
    For the most part, the world does not want any part of us. But when it DOES, the friendship of the world is always to be suspected. When the servants of the high priest allowed Peter to warm his hands at the fire, had Peter been a wise man, he would have been afraid that evil would come of it. We are disarmed by kindness, but it is never safe to be disarmed in an enemy's country. "Who," says the old proverb, "could live in Rome and yet be at war with the pope?" Who can have much to do with sinners and not have something to do with their sins? All Philistia could not have blinded Samson if Delilah's charms had not deluded him. Our worst foes will be found among our ungodly friends. Those who are false to God are not likely to be true to us.
    Proverbs 12:26 (KJV); "The righteous is more excellent than his neighbour: but the way of the wicked seduceth them."
    There was a couple that contacted me over the internet asking my help in locating a place to live in this area. They said God had directed them specifically to Bethany Church to help them in this quest. Judy located a place for them, and they moved in quite close to us. In the first three days they were here, they asked to borrow money from us, asked us to cash a post-dated check for them, and finally drove here and asked me to hide the truck which the bank was trying to re-possess since they had stopped making payments on it. When I explained that doing that is theft, he argued with me until I threw him out of our home.
    Walk carefully in this world. Not everyone that speaks the name of Jesus is a Christian.

I will talk to you again tomorrow - and may God RICHLY bless you.
  5. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

AMEN !!
    Very True Terry. There are people out there that will try and use Christianity to their advantage and have never met Jesus, and they are very hard to spot until you have dealing with them.
  6. Just One Shot

Just One Shot Member

You are welcome! I found it very inspiring.

The thought that comes to mind as I reflect on this video is, we can't fully recognize Jesus and see His glory until we turn around (repent of our sins) and look up to Him for salvation.
  7. Python

Python Former Guest

Matthew 7:21-23..."Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord', will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles? Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

Matthew 5:20..."Unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and pharisees, you shall in no way enter the kingdom of heaven"

John 3:3...Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God"
  8. Python

Python Former Guest

We have to be Fruit Inspectors.

Matthew 7:20.."Wherefore by their fruits you shall know them"
    Last edited: May 27, 2011
  9. ampaterry

And some who feel it is their duty to cause a Christian to fall, like they view us as a challenge.

Excellent thought, and very true.

I must say, I never thought of it in those words - but so true!!

Devotional for today:

I have always been fascinated by the origins of expressions. Often it is hard to find this, however. The expression “flash in the pan”, for instance, has two very realistic sounding origins.
    The first one goes back to the days of the gold rush. A gold pan is used to test for gold. If it is found there, the larger mining equipment is set up. Sometimes, after the equipment is in, insufficient gold is found to make it worthwhile, and then it was said that this claim was only a “flash in the pan”, without any real deposits to back it up.
    The second one goes back even further, to the days of flintlock firearms. In these arms, the powder and bullet is loaded into the barrel of the weapon, then a small amount of powder was poured into the “pan”, which was located on the outside rear of the barrel. There was a small hole drilled through the barrel from this pan to the inside where the main charge of powder was located. The “hammer” which held the flint was cocked back, and when the trigger was squeezed the hammer fell, striking the flint against a steel plate, and sending a shower of sparks into the pan, igniting the powder in it – and the flash from this went through the hole and into the main powder charge, exploding it and pushing the bullet out of the weapon. Sometimes, the small hole between the pan and the main charge would become clogged, and in those instances the powder in the pan would ignite, but the main charge would not, and the gun would not fire. That was called a “flash in the pan”.
    We don't know which of these explanation is the true origin of this expression. There is no such doubt when we listen to Jesus.
    The Bible speaks often of the importance of truth:
    Psalms 15:1-2 (KJV); "LORD, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill? He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart."
    John 8:32 (KJV); "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
    We will never know the truth about many things, but we do know the truth when it is spoken by the lips of Jesus Christ! There is no doubt, no ambiguity, no wondering, concerning His words, for he cannot lie!

May God bless each one here, help us to receive the truth, and thereby NONE of us be found to be just a flash in the pan.
  10. ampaterry

Today is Rogation Sunday, a day recognized by Roman Catholic, Anglican and some other churches. The recognition of this day dates back to the fifth century, when this was a time for fasting before Ascension Sunday as repentance for sins and supplication for blessing on the crops. Here in the USA this changed very early in the Colonial period. Each Spring on this day, farmers prayed for a good harvest, and the pastor and congregation would walk from the church into the fields to ask God's blessing on the crops planted there. In the evening, each farmer and his family would walk the borders of their property and give thanks for the land. As they walked, a boy in the family would be bumped into the boundary stones, or dunked into the boundary stream, then he was given a small gift. The purpose of this was to make this child remember the boundaries of the land which he would someday inherit. Neighbors would do this at the same time, each on their own side of the property lines.
    Scripture is very clear on the importance of boundaries:
    Proverbs 22:28 (KJV); Remove not the ancient landmark, which thy fathers have set.
    Deuteronomy 19:14 (KJV); Thou shalt not remove thy neighbour's landmark, which they of old time have set in thine inheritance, which thou shalt inherit in the land that the LORD thy God giveth thee to possess it.
    And how does this apply to us, as Jews or Christians in 2011?
    Some of us may not own property which requires the boundary markers to be recognized and remembered, but we do all have boundary markers. God set them in place, and they are the clear directives of the Law which is given to us. Today, the world is working to obliterate these markers. Sinners wish to run wild and free across the fields of immorality unfettered by any limitation on their activities; if it feels good, DO IT! As the people of God, we are obligated to remember the boundaries of God's law, to honor them, and to abide within them not as prisoners, but as free agents who choose morality over lasciviousness.

May God bless and have mercy on each of us -
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Good teaching Terry , Thank you

Cheers
  12. Juker

Juker New Member

Amen, amen!
  13. ampaterry

Today is memorial day.

I love memorial day because it brings to mind the great privilege we have of living in a country where so many were willing to sacrifice themselves for the good of their family, neighbors, and country. I love it because it makes my chest swell with pride. I love it because when a country can produce such fine young people, I know that country is one of the best on the planet. I love it because it clearly shows that our freedom can never be taken from us as long as such people exist here. I love it because the signs of patriotism all around me in the flags and parades show me that America is still young and strong. I love it because it was so honored by my father-in-law Chuck Lewis, one of the finest Americans ever born.

I hate memorial day because it brings to mind the lives of so many fine young people that were much shorter than they should have been. I hate to think that my freedom has cost others so very much. I hate to think that the world is such an evil place that men and women have to die to keep the rest of us safe from being subjected to the whims of an evil dictator. I hate it because so many see it as only a three day weekend. I hate it because so many businesses use it for nothing but their own profit. I hate it because it reminds me of the torture, medical experiments and starvation which Chuck was put through in WWII, which finally took his life after years of suffering.
    I find that I am hot on Memorial day and cold on Memorial day at the same time.
    One thing is for sure, though.
    I will never be indifferent towards it.

Lord, I beseech you that you would comfort all the families and friends of every service member who gave their life for this nation.
    I ask that you would bless each one, and let them know that their loss is grieved by all of us.
    And I ask these things in the Holy name of Jesus the Christ, the Lion of Judah.
    Amen -

May God continue to bless us as he has been doing all along - -
  14. American Leader

American Leader Well-Known Member

Amen Terry! GOD BLESS AMERICA!
  15. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Terry, thank you very much.