Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Amen to that, Terry;
    Thanks.

All too often the message from the pulpit is social platitude or PC rhetoric, with only allusions to God's Word.

One of the marks of a good church, for me, is to hear God's Word being faithfully expounded on. That's what Jesus told Peter to do when He said, "Feed My Sheep".

I also think of Psalm 45:1--My heart is inditing a good matter: I speak of the things which I have made touching the king: my tongue is the pen of a ready writer.
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Great passage, that -

Out in Wyoming's ranching country a severe snowstorm hit the area the Sunday before Christmas. Although the minister felt certain that nobody was going to show up for his church service because of the weather, he opened up the church just in case someone might appear. Sure enough, through the cold and snow, a weather-beaten cowboy appeared in the doorway of the church. The minister did not recognize the man as one of his parishioners, however he invited him in and the cowboy took a seat near the back of the church. After a wait of 20 minutes, it became apparent to the minister that this cowboy was going to be the only person to attend his church that day.
    Approaching the man, the minister asked him if he was expecting a full service. "I've been a cowboy out in this part of the country all my life," the fellow answered. "And all winter long I feed 500 cows every day. And come rain or shine, sleet or snow -- whether one comes or all 500 come -- I feed them every day." Duly inspired, the minister launched into a sermon that lasted the better part of an hour and a half. At the conclusion, the minister walked over to the cowboy and asked him how he enjoyed the service. "Like I said before," the cowboy answered, "I've been feeding 500 cows every day all my life. And come rain or shine, sleet or snow -- whether one comes or all 500 come -- I feed them every day. But if only one cow comes, I don't dump the whole feed load."
    John 21:15-17 (KJV); “So when they had dined, Jesus saith to Simon Peter, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me more than these?
    He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee.
    He saith unto him, Feed my lambs. He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me?
    He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee.
    He saith unto him, Feed my sheep. He saith unto him the third time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me?
    Peter was grieved because he said unto him the third time, Lovest thou me? And he said unto him, Lord, thou knowest all things; thou knowest that I love thee.
    Jesus saith unto him, Feed my sheep."
  3. BlackEagle

Amen.

And I like that story about the Wyoming cowboy. Flexibility. ;):thumbsup:
  4. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

5. ampaterry

Thank you, guys -

On this day we remember with heavy hearts the cowardly attacks on our nation by Muslims who felt it was their duty to kill innocent civilians in their continuing Jihad against every non-Islamic person on the planet. This was not an act of war, but an act of terrorism. They did not stand up and fight like men, but slaughtered men,women and children in order to earn their right to 72 virgins in the next life.

Congress passed the resolution to observe this day each year a mere few weeks after this attack. At 8:46 AM Eastern time, we should all stop whatever we are doing and have a moment of silence in the memory of the 2,977 lives that were brutally ended on this day, starting in explosion, fire and smoke as these cowards crashed commercial airliners full of passengers into the twin towers in New York. That time is selected because it is the time the first plane hit.

I am an old man. There are only a few memories that are burned into my brain.

One was when JFK was assassinated in Dallas in a motorcade.

One was watching the Challenger explode shortly after take-off.

And the worst of all – watching those planes crash into those majestic buildings. They used a technology far beyond their own reach and understanding to destroy buildings the likes of which they were completely incapable of producing, and ended the lives of people any one of which had far greater value than all of theirs combined.

Then the third plane hit the Pentagon.

And a fourth one was crashed into a field by passengers who would not allow them to use it as another weapon of destruction.

As a Christian, we are to forgive those who have injured us.

I know I should.

But I have not succeeded yet.

Lord, comfort today all those that lost loved ones on that terrible day -
    And have mercy on us, Father, that such will never occur again in this beautiful country you have blessed us with -

Amen –
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

yep same here forgiving .. not quite there yet

maybe after we block a few more mosques and get some more jihad screaming clerics locked up or chased off i'll get the hang of it
  7. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think a lot of Christians really do not understand "forgiveness". As a victim of child sexual, physical & emotional abuse, I struggled with the term "forgiveness" well into my adult years.

I personally have learned several things in my struggle over the years. The MOST important one is that "forgiveness" is NOT for the perpetrators! Forgiveness is for our own well-being.

NOTE:
    I feel what I am about to say is important. I really want to be careful of what I write and I ask people reading it to read it with care as well.​

If we can't learn to "forgive" those that sinned against us, we run the risk of allowing HATE & Bitterness to take control of our life. Un-forgiveness will ROT our souls. It can interfere with all aspects of our lives & severely limit our ability to live for GOD.

It can cause strains on our personal relationships because the Bible tells us that bitterness & hate cannot live in the same dwelling as LOVE & forgiveness. The Bible also states that unless we forgive those that have sinned against us, we cannot receive forgiveness from our FATHER.

OK,
    Now that the hardness of REALITY has been spoken,

"What can we do when we see no way possible to "forgive" because the PAIN we feel is just to great?"

The only thing we can do is CONFESS our SIN of UN-forgiveness to the Lord. Then we can ask the Holy Spirit (Our "Comforter"), to help us get to a place where we can TRULY have God's forgiveness in our hearts.

Please note, I say "God's Forgiveness".​

Forgiveness belongs to GOD. It is the gift of Grace & Mercy that HE bestowed upon us even though we are guilty of just as grievous sins against him as we have experienced from others. Really, the only TRUE way to forgive sins is by ALLOWING the Holy Spirit to work in us and asking GOD to forgive through us.

Remember when Jesus was crucified? He said, "Father forgive them. They know NOT what they do."

In this statement lies the other GREAT key to forgiveness- PRAYER!

We need to recognize that the SIN committed against us was NOT done by an enemy of "flesh & blood". The true enemy is Satan. The people satan uses to bring us harm are nothing but pawns in the war between good & evil.

By praying for them and asking God to forgive them we begin to see them more like Christ would/does. "They are lost & dying in their own sins."

"IF", those that crucified Jesus truly knew what they were doing, do you think they still would have crucified HIM?​

The same thing can be said for those that commit sin & harm against us.

"Would they do it if the truly knew/believed there was the danger of living in an eternal Hell?"

NOW! Please do not misunderstand---
    We have an obligation to be our brothers keeper, we are commanded to LOVE, protect & care for others.

This means we MUST be willing to take up arms to defend the defenseless and do what is within our power to see people come to salvation. So, we may not have any choice except to go to war & literally annihilate enemies that would destroy & kill us & our loved ones. But, we must do so at the direction of God. We must also act with forgiveness in our own hearts while having compassion AND "praying for our enemies".

I'm sorry for the long post; and I'm closing even though I want to say so much more. But, I want everyone to realize the importance of forgiveness. Even though one is an enemy and we may have to take action to save others & carry out justice, we also need to have the SPIRIT of Love & Forgiveness in our heart toward our enemies.

This (seemingly impossible) task can ONLY be accomplished by confessing our sin; and completely yielding any bitterness, resentment, hatred & animosity over to the Holy Spirit.

God Bless-

-
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  8. HAGEN442

HAGEN442 New Member

9/11/2001 LET US NOT FORGET

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  9. BlackEagle

Thanks for that, Terry, and tcox.

The Chaplain at the Breendonk POW camp, who had been an inmate there during WW2, told us he could forgive his guards, but we must never forget, lest the same thing be allowed to happen again. His mission was to pass that message on to as many people as he could.

I can forgive a person, but that doesn't mean he won't try to do the same thing again, so I need to be on my guard about that person.

Never forget 9/11.
    Never forget Pearl Harbor.
    Never forget The Alamo.

That's just my opinions, for what it's worth.
  10. tcox4freedom

Plus 1

One thing that kinda ticked me (and the wifey) off today is the complete LACK of care concerning 911.

My wife works for the FG. She usually gets an email stating that all government offices need to recognize a tragic day by lowering the flag to half-staff. Well, I guess the administration doesn't have the time to send send out notices to lower the flag in remembrance today.

Honestly, it's almost like this particular administration want to "forget" what happened and NOT cause any ill feelings with the muslim world.

BTW;
    My wife had a flag lowering ceremony today despite the complete lack of respect & care coming out of DC!

I'll be so happy to see this POSPOTUS & his supporters thrown out on their ^$$ in November, I may even dance a jig. :)

-
  11. ampaterry

Outstanding post, Tim - dead on!!

And I DO continue to work on it.

I WANT to forgive them -

But the blood-lust keeps rising up -
  12. tcox4freedom

Forgiveness doesn't necessarily mean you can no longer be angry. It definitely doesn't mean you need to forget what happened. (Anger can be a righteous thing and remembering helps us understand how God helps us through bad things.)

Don't allow the enemy to lie to you; trying to convince you that "forgiveness" mean forgetting & no longer being angry. ("Be angry; but sin not!")

I wish eternal damnation on NO MAN. But, that doesn't mean "judgment" & "justice" should not be carried out. (That brings me to another lie the enemy tells us an many believe.)

Christians are called to be judges of sinful behavior. We are given the task to judge & pass sentences on illegal & sinful behavior. In fact, one day we will sit in judgement along with Christ has lost souls pass before HIM.

But, we are supposed to handle this difficult task without hatred or malice. Therein lies the "rub"; and the challenge. The only way possible to forgive, yet judge & pass sentence without any HATE or Malice against our enemies is to do so under complete control & direction of the Holy Spirit. (Otherwise, we judge & pass sentence from a state of SIN.)

It's important to understand, when we do anything from the state of "sin", we run the real risk of stepping out of Gods grace & HIS hand of protection.

Ok,
    Sorry for the preaching.
    God Bless

-

-
  13. ampaterry

Man, this thought just keeps rolling. Everywhere I look, I find something else on it.

Can the gospel really dissolve deep-seated prejudices that have been hardened by centuries of hatred and strife? The experience of Yishael Allon of West Valley City, Utah, gives the answer. Yishael is Jewish. Over 20 years ago, he met his cousins's wife Sandy, who was dying of leukemia. Peace filled her heart and a love radiated from her life that gave her a "special glow." "She was the first real Christian I had ever met," writes Yishael. "She was different. I would question her, and all she'd talk about was Jesus." In 1980, Yishael heard the gospel on the radio and received a Bible. As he read Isaiah 53, the Holy Spirit convinced him that the prophet was speaking about Jesus; the same Jesus that Sandy knew. "I believed in the Lord Jesus and became a 'completed Jew.' A year and a half later, the Lord gave me His love for my enemies; the PLO who murdered 37 of my friends."

Is there a group you hate?

Do you have more reason for hate than Yishael? Is there a group you don’t LOVE?

Do you have less reason to love than yishael?

We need to look at our lives very carefully – look at them in light of these scriptures, then think about Yishael.

Matthew 5:43-44 (KJV);
    Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;"

Luke 6:35 (NCV);
    But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without hoping to get anything back. Then you will have a great reward, and you will be children of the Most High God, because he is kind even to people who are ungrateful and full of sin.

Make a special effort today to think kindly of someone who belongs to a group you don’t like! Reach out to one you don’t WANT to reach out to! You will not only please that person, but you will please Jesus Christ, and improve yourself in the process.

May God bless each one of us with his help in doing this -
  14. BlackEagle

Tcox, God has taught you a lot about forgiveness. He has a way of taking us through fires to refine, melt and mould us to the shape He wants us to have.

Terry, you are right; the subject just goes on and on...because God's forgiveness keeps going on and on...

Romans 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

Psalm 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.

Psalm 5

4 For you are not a God who delights in wickedness;
    evil may not dwell with you.
    5 The boastful shall not stand before your eyes;
    you hate all evildoers.
    6 You destroy those who speak lies;
    the Lord abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful man.

7 But I, through the abundance of your steadfast love,
    will enter your house.
    I will bow down toward your holy temple
    in the fear of you.
    8 Lead me, O Lord, in your righteousness
    because of my enemies;
    make your way straight before me.
    9 For there is no truth in their mouth;
    their inmost self is destruction;
    their throat is an open grave;
    they flatter with their tongue.
    10 Make them bear their guilt, O God;
    let them fall by their own counsels;
    because of the abundance of their transgressions cast them out,
    for they have rebelled against you.

Thanks again, Terry
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  15. ampaterry

Good stuff, BlackEagle -
    It feels a bit like we are a BIG tag team here in the match between good and evil, doesn't it?

For today:

A deplorable incident occurred in the life of Mahatma Ghandi. He said in his autobiography that during his student days he was interested in the Bible. Deeply touched by reading the gospels, he seriously considered becoming a convert. Christianity seemed to offer the real solution to the caste system that was dividing the people of India. One Sunday he went to a church to see the minister and ask for instruction on the way of salvation and other Christian doctrines. But when he entered the sanctuary, the ushers refused him a seat and suggested that he go and worship with his own people. He left and never went back. "If Christians have caste differences also," he said to himself, "I might as well remain a Hindu."

I wonder how many times this has happened in a Christian church? I wonder how many potential brothers and sisters we have driven from our churches by making them feel uncomfortable with the color of their skin, or their last name, or what part of the world their ancestors came from?

Gal 3:26-28 (KJV);
    “For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.”

That is the passage we should keep in our hearts when we have a visitor to our church. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female. There are no blacks, there are no Irish, there are no orientals, there are no Indians, there are no Native Americans when they visit one of our churches. There are no Germans, there are no Mexicans, there are no Spanish when they need a helping hand; they are ALL one in Christ Jesus or at the very least may become such
    -
    -
    if we do not drive them away.

May God bless each one of us with an accepting heart.