Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The cousin of my immediate supervisor dropped dead on the job last Thursday. Stark illustration of what you just said. She is heavily involved with her church and her cousin's 13-year-old son is attending some good ministry in the area. We're talking about it quite a bit at work and I'm providing a few resources for her to pass on.

The Irish have a habit of saying they will do this, or that will happen d.v. (Deo Volente). The Americans have translated and modified it slightly to "Lord willing and the creek don't rise."

I like Psalm 31:14-16, especially 15.
    14 But as for me, I trust in You, O Lord,
    I say, “You are my God.”
    15 My times are in Your hand;
    Deliver me from the hand of my enemies and from those who persecute me.
    16 Make Your face to shine upon Your servant;
    Save me in Your lovingkindness.

Thanks again, Terry.
  2. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

My Dad told me a few things that I think of often.
    1. Worrying about tomorrow is wasting today.
    2. You will never be happy with anyone until you are happy with yourself.
    3. Parents shouldn't raise children, they should raise adults.

He was not overly religous but he believed strongly enough to make sure I was raised in Church.
    God gave him a long healthy life, and a swift quiet end. As far as I know thats all he ever asked him for for.
  3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Thank you, guys!

Today is the Fast of Gedaliah. Nebuchadnezzar, the king of Babylon, came against Judah and conquered it. Most Jews fled to Egypt, but a small number remained, and Nebuchadnezzar appointed a leader over them named Gedaliah. The story is recorded in Jeremiah and 2 Kings. Lets read the last part of the narrative:

2 Kings 25:24-26 (KJV);
    “And Gedaliah sware to them, and to their men, and said unto them, Fear not to be the servants of the Chaldees: dwell in the land, and serve the king of Babylon; and it shall be well with you. But it came to pass in the seventh month, that Ishmael the son of Nethaniah, the son of Elishama, of the seed royal, came, and ten men with him, and smote Gedaliah, that he died, and the Jews and the Chaldees that were with him at Mizpah. And all the people, both small and great, and the captains of the armies, arose, and came to Egypt: for they were afraid of the Chaldees.”

And thus the last of the Jews departed from their Holy Land, not to return until seventy years later. For this reason, the Fast of Gedaliah was instituted to commemorate this assassination and exile. The actual date is a few days earlier, but it is forbidden to fast during a celebration so it was delayed until after Rosh Hashana. The fast began yesterday at sundown, and lasts through sundown today.

There is a lesson in this story to us, right now in the 21st century. The people were unhappy with Gedaliah, suspecting him due to his association with the Babylonian rulers of their land. They took action without thought to the consequences; they killed him and only afterward realized they had just forced themselves into exile.

We dearly love to gripe and complain about our leadership. They are either too liberal or too conservative. They are Communist or they are Marxist. They cater to the rich or they cater to the welfare recipients. But we must always keep our wits about us; there is a way to deal with bad leadership, and it is the way of the soap box and the ballot box. The way of the cartridge box has very dire consequences.

May God bless each one of you -
  4. BlackEagle

Thanks, Terry;
    The Bible says a lot about what our relationship with government should be. One passage says we should pray for our leaders so we can live quiet and peaceful lives.

Revelation 2-3, among other places, describe churches under heavy persecution, and how they should respond to the persecution. Not sure how that would translate in our culture, and time.
  5. ampaterry

Submit to those in authority because they are in power by God's direction -
    one side of the issue -
    Jews being herded into prison camps -
    other side of the issue -
    Always a quandry!

For today, I came across an interesting list.
    How to Be Perfectly Miserable. (and stay that way!)

1. Think about yourself.
    2. Talk about yourself.
    3. Use the personal pronoun "I" as often as possible in your conversation.
    4. Mirror yourself continually in the opinion of others.
    5. Listen greedily to what people say about you.
    6. Insist on consideration and respect.
    7. Demand agreement with your own views on everything.
    8. Sulk if people are not grateful to you for favors shown them.
    9. Never forget a service you may have rendered.
    10. Expect to be appreciated.
    11. Be suspicious.
    12. Be sensitive to slights.
    13. Be jealous and envious.
    14. Never forget a criticism.
    15. Trust nobody but yourself.

And the formula for being happy? Memorize this list, and avoid doing anything on it!

Romans 12:3 (NRSV);
    “For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of yourself more highly than you ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned.”

1 Corinthians 13:4-5 (NRSV);
    “Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;”

6. cutter

cutter New Member

I truley relish reading these section! Thanks to all that take the time to write!!

GOD bless all!
  7. BlackEagle

There is a place and time for civil disobedience; lots of discussion and historical examples, and Biblical instruction.

The key to happiness is not trying to make myself happy but in having God's joy from the inside out.

Isaiah 51:11--
    Thanks again, Terry,
    form the "Amen corner" :)
  8. ampaterry

Thank you, guys!!

For today:

Corrie Ten Boom used to tell the story about a proud woodpecker who was tapping away at a dead tree when the sky unexpectedly turned black and the thunder began to roll. Undaunted, he went right on working. Suddenly a bolt of lightning struck the old tree, splintering it into hundreds of pieces. Startled but unhurt, the haughty bird flew off, screeching to his feathered friends, "Hey, everyone, look what I did! Look what I did!"

This old woodpecker reminds me of people who think more highly of themselves than they should. Usually they are so busy bragging about their achievements and their greatness that they fail to recognize God as the source of all their abilities. They are suffering from spiritual delusions of grandeur.

Romans 12:1-3 (NCV);
    “So brothers and sisters, since God has shown us great mercy, I beg you to offer your lives as a living sacrifice to him. Your offering must be only for God and pleasing to him, which is the spiritual way for you to worship. Do not change yourselves to be like the people of this world, but be changed within by a new way of thinking. Then you will be able to decide what God wants for you; you will know what is good and pleasing to him and what is perfect. Because God has given me a special gift, I have something to say to everyone among you. Do not think you are better than you are. You must decide what you really are by the amount of faith God has given you.”

Without the Lord no one amounts to anything, and in our own strength we cannot please Him. Do you know anyone like that? Proud of their accomplishments, their jobs, their talents? Are YOU like that? Pride is indeed a sin, especially if the thing you are proud of is something which the Lord should get the credit for, but YOU take the credit instead!

9. BlackEagle

That reminds me of Nebuchadnezzar's experience in Daniel 4. God elevated him, and he knew it but took the credit for himself and God pulled him up short.

Thanks, Terry.
  10. ampaterry

Very true, BlackEagle!

For today, let's think about revival. Christians are always talking about revival. Churches are always talking about revival. When will we SEE revival? R.G. Lee spoke on that subject. He said:
    If all the sleeping folk will wake up,
    If all the lukewarm folk will fire up,
    If all the dishonest folk will confess up,
    If all the disgruntled folk will cheer up,
    If all the depressed folk will cheer up,
    If all the estranged folk will make up,
    If all the gossipers will shut up,
    If all true soldiers will stand up,
    If all the dry bones will shake up,
    If all the church members will pray up...
    Then we can have a revival!

1 Corinthians 16:13 (NRSV);
    “Keep alert, stand firm in your faith, be courageous, be strong.”

1 Timothy 4:7-8 (NRSV);
    “Have nothing to do with profane myths and old wives’ tales. Train yourself in godliness, for, while physical training is of some value, godliness is valuable in every way, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.”

1 Timothy 6:6 (NRSV);
    “Of course, there is great gain in godliness combined with contentment;”

1 Timothy 6:11-12 (NRSV);
    “But as for you, man of God, shun all this; pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance, gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith; take hold of the eternal life, to which you were called and for which you made the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.”
  11. BlackEagle

Aye, Terry.

Revival is founded in prayer.

Every revival that has ever happened has had a solid foundation of prayer. A solid core of people began praying. Then things began happening.

Prayer is what gets people off their backsides. We need to get a solid prayer front activated, mobilised, and running to see a reversal of the intrusions satan has made into this country.

God fights on a different plane than we can see or comprehend.

IMHO, it starts with prayer for this country, to regain lost/forgotten Biblical values and standards of right and wrong.

We also need to confront wrong ideas when they are propagated as being the "normal" way of things.
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  12. ampaterry

Truth, BlackEagle!
    I pray for our nation and the world daily -
    And this morning that will be in the pastoral prayer as well -
    The time grows short - which fits right in with todays devotional:

There is an ancient story about three demons who were arguing over the best way to destroy the Christian mission in the world. The first demon says, "Let's tell all the Christians there is no heaven. Take away the reward incentive and the mission will collapse." The second demon says, "Let's tell all the Christians there is no hell. Take away the fear of punishment and the mission will collapse." The third demon says, "There is one better way. Let's tell all the Christians that there is no hurry" and all three immediately say, "That's it! All we have to do is tell them there's no hurry and the whole Christian enterprise will collapse."

2 Corinthians 6:1-2 (KJV);
    “We then, as workers together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain. (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.)”

Ephesians 5:6-17 (KJV);
    “Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience. Be not ye therefore partakers with them. For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light: (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;) Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord. And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them. For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret. But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light. Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light. See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, Redeeming the time, because the days are evil. Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is”

The way we must live our lives is to make our future plans as if Jesus is not going to return for another two thousand years, in that way we do not risk becoming a burden upon our children or upon society; but to live each day as if Jesus were returning THAT EVENING, in that way we do not risk becoming a burden upon Christ himself.

13. BlackEagle

Redeeming the time...a phrase that has stayed with me many, many years and has been at the heart of my daily planning.

Today's reminds me of the story Jesus told in Luke 12

37 Blessed are those servants whom the master finds awake when he comes. Truly, I say to you, he will dress himself for service and have them recline at table, and he will come and serve them. 38 If he comes in the second watch, or in the third, and finds them awake, blessed are those servants! 39 But know this, that if the master of the house had known at what hour the thief was coming, he would not have left his house to be broken into.

Thanks again, Terry.
  14. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

Excelent posts, always enjoy reading Daily Devotional. Keep up the good work please!
  15. ampaterry

Excellent Black Eagle - we must remain vigilent!

Thank you, Sub-moa; your support is greatly appreciated.

For today;

The Procrastinator's Poem is dated by that “filled my pen” line, but it is still very much relevant to today:

I've gone for a drink and sharpened my pencils,
    Searched through my desk for forgotten utensils.
    I reset my watch, I adjusted my chair,
    I've loosened my tie and straightened my hair.
    I filled my pen and tested the blotter
    And gone for another drink of water
    Adjusted the calendar, and I've raised the blind
    And I've sorted erasers of all different kinds.
    Now down to work I can finally sit,
    Oops, too late, it's time to quit.

Proverbs 10:4-5 (KJV);
    “He becometh poor that dealeth with a slack hand: but the hand of the diligent maketh rich. He that gathereth in summer is a wise son: but he that sleepeth in harvest is a son that causeth shame.”

Proverbs 12:24 (GWT);
    “Hard-working hands gain control, but lazy hands do slave labor.”

Proverbs 12:27 (TLB);
    “A lazy man won’t even dress the game he gets while hunting, but the diligent man makes good use of everything he finds.”

We have many nice sounding names for various vices. We say someone is positive and assertive instead of saying they are blunt and pushy. They are ambitious and goal oriented instead of self centered and uncaring. They are detail oriented instead of nit-picky. A procrastinator is just a lazy person who is lying to himself or herself. Better is the lazy person who does NOT claim they will do it later, but instead plainly says they will not do it at all! They are at least being honest!

Thank you, guys, and may God bless each one here -