Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

This is indeed a geat challange to disciples of Jesus Christ. It chips away at my pride, my ego, my competitiveness, my flesh. As Paul said " But if I live in the flesh, this is the fruit of my labour: yet what I shall choose I wot not."

This was very timely in my life and I thank you.
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

We walk a delicate balance, IShootBack.
    It is always a struggle not to slip off one way or the other - -
  3. ampaterry

This morning, we set our clocks back an hour, bringing the end to “daylight savings time” for 2011. Today, we deal with four kinds of clocks.

First, we have the simplest that require us to re-set the time manually. These do what you tell them to do, regardless of the rest of the world.

Second, we have the more intelligent kind. These have a setting which adjusts the time automatically to begin and end DST, but they are not aware of the change in the law that extended DST, so they re-set themselves on the wrong schedule.

Third, we have the most intelligent kind that adjust for DST according to the new schedule. Some of these are also tied to NIST, and therefore are completely 'hands off' on a permanent basis.

Fourth, we have what I will call the 'grid clocks'. These are built in to your computer and get the time from a standard on the internet, or they are built in to your Cable or Satellite TV system and get their time from the network they are tied in to.

In our house we have all four kinds, but my internal clock is only of the first kind. It does not matter to my body what the clock on the wall says, I will rise before sun-up and desire to go to bed shortly after sundown. I will be ready to eat lunch when the sun is in the middle of it's path, and will be ready to watch Jeopardy an hour before it is broadcast.

This idea was originally proposed by Benjamin Franklin, who thought that firing cannons at dawn would wake people up and thereby force them to start their day earlier, go to bed earlier as a result, and therefore save candle burning hours.

I tend to agree with the wise old Native American who said: “Only the Government would think you can cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it on the bottom and have a longer blanket"

Jesus tells us:
    Luke 20:25 (KJV);
    And he said unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which be Caesar's, and unto God the things which be God's.

The government decrees that the time of sunrise today is an hour earlier than it was yesterday.
    So be it.
    But the sun, created by God, remains unchanged in spite of this.

May God bless each of you with a rapid adaptation to the new hours -
  4. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks, Terry;

Psalm 127 is God's take on the amount of sleep we need:

1 Unless the Lord builds the house,
    those who build it labor in vain.
    Unless the Lord watches over the city,
    the watchman stays awake in vain.
    2 It is in vain that you rise up early
    and go late to rest,
    eating the bread of anxious toil;
    for he gives to his beloved sleep.

I can rejoice in the second part of the Psalm:
    Grandchild #2 was born Friday!! A Grandson this time.

3 Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord,
    the fruit of the womb a reward.
    4 Like arrows in the hand of a warrior
    are the children[a] of one's youth.
    5 Blessed is the man
    who fills his quiver with them!
    He shall not be put to shame
    when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.
  5. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

6. ampaterry

Congratulations indeed, BlackEagle.
    Grandkids are a HUGE blessing.

You get to spoil them rotten, then when they are so spoiled they are getting on your nerves, you send them home to their parents with a smile.

For today:

When Leonardo da Vinci was painting the Last Supper, he had an intense, bitter argument with a fellow painter. Leonardo was so enraged that he decided to paint the face of his enemy into the face of Judas. That way the hated painter's face would be preserved for ages in the face of the betraying disciple. When Leonardo finished Judas, everyone easily recognized the face of the painter with whom Leonardo quarreled.
    Leonardo continued to work on the painting. But as much as he tried, he could not paint the face of Christ. Something was holding him back.
    Leonardo decided his hatred toward his fellow painter was the problem. So he worked through his hatred by repainting Judas' face, replacing the image of his fellow painter with another face. Only then was he able to paint Jesus' face and complete the masterpiece.

All of us are hindered in our work; we are hindered by the frailty of the flesh! If we work diligently, we can remove much of this hindrance by practicing forgiveness to others, and getting beyond our hatred of others, and in so doing we will find that our work goes much easier and accomplishes more than it did before.

I am reminded of the old Pogo cartoon strip, and the time when their own bumbling was causing so much trouble in their ranks, and Pogo said “We have met the enemy, and he is us!”

Matthew 5:23-24 (KJV);
    Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

Matthew 6:14-15 (KJV);
    For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."

May God bless each one of you this day -
  7. BlackEagle

He couldn't paint Christ's face because he was so focused on his enemy. But when He focused on Christ instead, and as you say, forgave his enemy, he was able to complete his task.

So it seems to me, that if we focus on enemies, our attention is drawn away from what God wants us to do--become like Christ because we are looking at the wrong person.

Thinking now...Psalm 15 talks about the person who dwells with God. He is upright and pure, and he despises the evil person. That evil person is not his enemy, he is God's enemy. But the focus of the upright person's life is still on God, not distracted by the evil person.

Thanks, Terry;
    good message. You got me thinking, and that can be dangerous. ;) :rolleyes:
  8. ampaterry

Thank you, BlackEagle.
    And that IS dangerous - - for Satan's purposes!

Today, in the US, is Election Day. I remember well when I reached 21 and was allowed to vote for the first time. I was in the service then, and the complaint that many young people in the service had at that time was that we could fight and die for our country at 18, but we could not vote in an election to have some influence on who we fought until we were 21.

Now, the age to vote has been reduced to 18, so this inequity has been resolved. And how is this privilege being received by these new young voters? In 1972, 50% of those 18-21 registered and voted. By 2010, a non-presidential year, with the overall voter turnout at 37%, the young voter turnout was only 20% . It seems that with the end of the Vietnam War era, interest in voting among young people has waned. Yet, many nations in the world are considering lowering the age yet again, this time to 16, and some have already done so.

When I was a kid, my older brother got a drivers license when he was 14. By the time I reached 14 seven years later, the age had been raised to 16. Now, there is talk of raising it to 18 due to the much higher accident rate among younger drivers.
    These two issues bring a question to my mind.

Why are younger people considered to be less able to drive a car, yet more able to make decisions regarding the governing of our nation?

There is an old saying that comes from Chicago: “Vote early, and vote often!” There is controversy over the exact source of that saying, but having been born and raised in Illinois, I assure you that it is taken to heart there in Cook County. And I will repeat it; vote early, so you don't get shut out by closing polls. And vote as often as we have any election. Too many brave people laid down their lives to obtain and preserve this privilege for any one to ignore it.

Luke 16:1-2 (KJV);
    And he said also unto his disciples, There was a certain rich man, which had a steward; and the same was accused unto him that he had wasted his goods. And he called him, and said unto him, How is it that I hear this of thee? give an account of thy stewardship; for thou mayest be no longer steward.

If you do not exercise your right to vote, you could end up losing it!

May God have mercy on us this day, and bless our nation as he has in the past with good leadership.
  9. BlackEagle

Amen, Terry.

Notice how David and several others became king. God selected him, God's prophet anointed him, and the people responded by making him king of the land.
  10. ampaterry

My E-mail list got my normal E-votional today, but I won't put it here.

Here, I want to simply ask that you join with me in prayer for our nation.

Heavenly Father, I come before you this morning asking for mercy on our nation.
    I know we have failed you in the direction we have headed.
    I know we have done much that is contrary to your will.
    I know we have called that which is good, evil.
    I know we have called that which is evil, good.
    I know we have broken your commandments.
    I know we have murdered our children and called it "choice".
    I know we have removed you from our public lives and called it "Constitutional".
    I know we have denied the account in Genesis and called it "Science".
    I know we have rewarded laziness and called it "compassion".
    I know we have penalized productive workers and called it "fairness".
    I know we have accepted sexual perversions and called it "Alternative lifestyle".
    I know we have accepted pagan beliefs and called it "multiculturalism".
    I know we have looked to ourselves for help, strength and salvation.
    I know we have done these things both individually and corporally as a nation.

I know we were wrong.

I ask, Lord, that you would forgive us, jerk us up out of the mire we have descended into, and place our feet on the straight and narrow path.

And I ask these things in the Holy name of Jesus, the Christ - the Author and Finisher of our faith.

Amen

2 Corinthians 12:7-10 (KJV);
    7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
    8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
    9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
    10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Amen!
  12. 01brian

01brian New Member

13. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

14. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

But not until after the people had chosen Saul for themselves and endured a generation of misguided leadership.
  15. jbmid1

jbmid1 Well-Known Member

And AMEN to the prayer Terry.