Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Terry, a big AMEN.

Agreed. People then, like now, look on the outward appearance, while God looks on the inward man. Saul wasn't the only looser to be king, and time after time when the wicked king led the nation into sin, and destruction of the nation; righteous kings led the nation toward Godliness and into God's blessing. God allowed both wicked and righteous kings to rule in Israel, and the nation suffered or was blessed accordingly.

Could I offer a word of encouragement...

Proverbs 29:16
    When the wicked are multiplied, transgression increaseth: but the righteous shall see their fall.

I think God is telling us to hang in there.

Christ is still on the throne, King of kings and Lord of lords.

In the context of describing God's awesome power, Paul describes Christ's power and authority in Ephesians 1:20-23.
    "...he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come: And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church, Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

Paul wrote Romans 8 to the Church in Rome, which was in an extremely religious repressive city, under a Roman emperor who was worshipped as a god, and worshipping the True God was equivalent to treason. See also the letters to the seven churches in Revelation 2-3 to see churches living under persecution.

The orb is still under the cross whether it recognises it or not.

orb and cross.jpg
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Thank you, guys.

We have had our day of mourning. It is now time to stand back up, shoulder our load, and proceed with the work of restoring the republic.

For today:

A beggar stopped a lawyer on the street in a large southern city and asked him for a dollar. Taking a long, hard look into the man's unshaven face, the attorney asked, "Don't I know you from somewhere?" "You should," came the reply. "I'm your former classmate. Remember, second floor, old Main Hall?" "Why Sam, of course I know you!" Without further question the lawyer wrote a check for $500. "Here, take this and get a new start. I don't care what's happened in the past, it's the future that counts." And with that he hurried on.
    Tears welled up in the man's eyes as he walked to a bank nearby. Stopping at the door, he saw through the glass well-dressed tellers and the spotlessly clean interior. Then he looked at his filthy rags. "They won't take this from me. They'll swear that I forged it," he muttered as he turned away.
    The next day the two men met again. "Why Sam, what did you do with my check? Gamble it away? Drink it up?" "No," said the beggar as he pulled it out of his dirty shirt pocket and told why he hadn't cashed it. "Listen, friend," said the lawyer. "What makes that check good is not your clothes or appearance, but my signature. Go on, cash it!"

The Bible says in Romans 10:13 (KJV); "Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

That promise is a check of infinite value. And as sinners, all we need to do is cash it by faith for eternal life. Don't let the "tattered clothes" of your past keep you from cashing God's "check" of salvation.

If you wait until you are CLEAN ENOUGH to cash that check, you will never cash it.
    If you wait until you have EARNED that check, you will never cash it.
    If you wait until you DESERVE that check, you will never cash it.

God wrote you that check because he wants you to cash it NOW – exactly WHERE you are, and exactly WHO you are! DO IT!!

May God bless each one of you -
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

cheers Terry ,

God's the only bloke who never discriminates in class race wealth etc

dont we wish the rest of the world was half as fair ??
  4. BlackEagle

So true, Terry, and Jack.

Ephesians 2:8-9
    For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Galatians 3:26-29
    For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.
  5. Krogen

Krogen Member

Thanks for posting those verses, BlackEagle! I'm struggling and my faith is being tested right now. The timing of your post was spot-on. I appreciate the crystal clear reminder.
  6. ampaterry

The need for the new birth is shown in the life of George Whitefield. At 16 he became deeply convicted of his sin. He tried everything to become acceptable to God. He wrote, "I fasted for 36 hours twice a week. I prayed formal prayers several time a day and almost starved myself to death during Lent, but only felt more miserable. Then by God's grace I met Charles Wesley, who put a book in my hand that showed me from the Scriptures that I must be 'born again' or be eternally lost." Finally, Whitefield understood that he had to trust in Jesus Christ; you cannot starve or pray your way into Heaven. He believed and was both forgiven and changed. After he became a preacher, he spoke at least a thousand times on the subject, "You must be born again."
    Have you?

John 3:3 (KJV);
    “Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."

2 Corinthians 5:17 (KJV);
    “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.”

Those are precious verses; I remember well the times I have spent reading different religious writings and fasting and praying over them to no avail. I remember following dietary restrictions, attempting to get myself ‘pure’ enough to receive divine guidance. It never worked for me, and it won’t work for you either! If you were PURE enough, you wouldn’t NEED divine guidance!

Remember Mark 2; 15-17 (KJV);
    “And it came to pass, that, as Jesus sat at meat in his house, many publicans and sinners sat also together with Jesus and his disciples: for there were many, and they followed him. And when the scribes and Pharisees saw him eat with publicans and sinners, they said unto his disciples, How is it that he eateth and drinketh with publicans and sinners? When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

May God bless each one of you!
  7. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Very cool Terry.
    My 10yr old daughter just finished a paper & oral report on George Whitefield & The Great Awakening.

-
  8. BlackEagle

You got me thinking of a few passages today...

Roman 6:23 supplements what you said: God's free gift is eternal life. We don't have to earn it.

John 1:12 describes how if we receive Christ, we become sons of God.

And it's not anything we can do for ourselves or by ourselves. We can't work our way into heaven.

Titus 3:5-7
    Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Thanks again, Terry.
  9. ampaterry

Thank you, guys!

For today:

In a 3rd-century debate on Christianity, Celsus said to Origen, "When most teachers go forth to teach, they cry, 'Come to me, you who are clean and worthy,' and they are followed by the highest caliber of people available. But your silly master cries, 'Come to me, you who are down and beaten by life,' and so he accumulates around him the rag, tag and bobtail of humanity."

And Origen replied: "Yes, they are the rag, tag and bobtail of humanity. But Jesus does not leave them that way. Out of material you would have thrown away as useless, he fashions men, giving them back their self-respect, enabling them to stand on their feet and look God in the eyes. They were cowed, cringing, broken things. But the Son has set them free."

Matthew 11:28-30 (KJV);
    Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

1 Corinthians 1:25-31 (KJV);
    “Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.”

The Church is not supposed to be a place of bondage.
    The Church is not supposed to be a place of long lists of rules and restrictions.
    The Church is supposed to be a place where we can learn about and experience true freedom.
    Find a church where that is true, attend it regularly, and discover the true freedom that God intended for ALL his people to enjoy!

May God bless each and every one of you -
  10. BlackEagle

I've been reading 1-2 Corinthians this last few days. I came across this:
    2 Cor 4:7-10:
    But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. 8 We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; 9 persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; 10 always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies.

As one man said, we have this great treasure of the Gospel in common peanut butter jars!! God houses his treasure-filled message in lowly clothes.

Psalm 118:21-23

21 I thank you that you have answered me
    and have become my salvation.
    22 The stone that the builders rejected
    has become the cornerstone.
    23 This is the Lord's doing;
    it is marvelous in our eyes.

God has a way of changing people. Christ's first encounter with Simon: "You are Simon, you will be Peter." He takes us from where we are to what He wants us to become.

Thanks again Terry.
  11. ampaterry

Peanut butter jars - I like that!

Today is veterans day. Originally, this was Armistice Day, the official end of WWI, which was then known as the end of the war to end all wars. This proved to be false, and the name of this day was changed in 1954 to Veterans day, the day to honor veterans and active members of all branches of the service.

When you meet a veteran today, active or inactive, give them a “Thank you!” for their service to our country.

There are times when this is not practical or even possible, however, due to intervening crowds or circumstances. For those times, there is a “Thank you!” that started in the Pacific Northwest of the USA and is spreading across the country. It is based upon a hand gesture devised in the 1700's in a school for the deaf in France which meant “Thank you from the bottom of my heart!”.
    Place your right hand, palm in, on your heart. Now lower your hand to just above waist level with your hand flat and palm up. Scott Truitt, the originator of this gesture, said “If you don't like the war, complain to the politicians!” I agree. The absolute national shame that came out in the Vietnam era where our fine young people who were serving our country were demonized by college kids who, through some sleight-of-hand, turned their cowardice into a moral high-ground, was a horror I never want to see repeated.

For God and Country is a song done by the Smashing Pumpkins. It is the title of a Dolly Parton Album. It is a book by James Yee. It is a feature in the American Legion magazine from February of 2010. It is a 1943 movie starring Ronald Ragean, and a 1994 German movie. It is a website, www.godandcountry.org, that seems to be one of dozens of cookie-cutter sites owned by one George H. Russell and called the Patriot Network www.patriotnetwork.org. It is a CBN article about the actions of Seal Team six. And it is MUCH more than just these. God and Country are intertwined together as the uppermost motives in the hearts, minds and lives of Christian Patriots. The two concepts are almost inseparable.

1 Chronicles 19:13 (KJV); Be of good courage, and let us behave ourselves valiantly for our people, and for the cities of our God: and let the LORD do that which is good in his sight.

Thank you, Veterans, for your service to our country -
    May God bless each one of you, especially on this day.
  12. BlackEagle

Agreed.
    Thank you all who served in our countries' names to keep us free.

Over here we have a moment of silence at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month. We lay poppy wreaths at the bases of the war memorials in our cities, towns, and villages. Poppy lapel pins are very much in evidence.

InFlandersFields.jpg
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  13. ampaterry

Beautiful, BlackEagle!

For today:

Heavy-weight boxing champion Mike Tyson, in an interview some years ago, said he did "not really" want to get back together with his estranged wife, Robin Givens.
    "Both of us, you know, we made big mistakes and I said things that I really shouldn't have said. I meant them, but I shouldn't have made them publicized," Tyson told interviewer David Frost.
    Asked if he wants a reconciliation with Givens, whom he has sued for divorce, Tyson said "Well, not really." He also told Frost, "I'm kind of frustrated at this particular time, but as far as being happy, I'm content with what's going on."
    His most prized possessions were "two dogs that I like."
    These are strange remarks in light of Tyson's publicized conversion to Christ shortly before this interview was given. Aren’t people supposed to change when they came to the Savior?

The Bible tells us:
    Galatians 5:19-26 (KJV);
    “Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ’s have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. Let us not be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.”

IF we are Christ’s, we should have changed! If we have the Holy Spirit, we should SHOW IT! If we have to TELL people that we have been saved, perhaps we need to examine ourselves more closely.

May God bless each one of you -
  14. BlackEagle

Matthew 7:16 and following: We can know them by their fruits. Many claim to be Christians, but their lives and values reflect just the oposite.
    I'm concerned that Tyson professes to be a Christian, yet carries on with his former lifestyle.
    Jesus talks about the sower and the seed, some of which failed to produce fruit--it either never got started: birds got it, or got strangled by weeds, or died of malnutrition: shallow soil.

A lot of new Christians fall by the way. Billy Graham was concerned about that during his crusades many years ago; he asked the Navigators to develop something called Follow Up. Dawson Trotman, founder of the Navigators, wrote a booklet, Follow Up, Conserving the Fruits of Evangelism, and the Navs have been mentors in doing just that for decades.

Thanks, Terry.
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  15. ampaterry

A failing in the little Baptist church we used to attend.
    I loved that church dearly, but their entire focus was on Salvation ONLY; there was nothing beyond that - no perfection of the saints. We can NOT just 'Get 'em saved and then forget 'em'.

For today:

The following is an excerpt from a letter written by a young communist to his fiancee, breaking off their engagement.

“We live in virtual poverty. We turn back to the party every penny we make above what is absolutely necessary to keep us alive. We communists do not have the time or the money for many movies, or concerts, or T-bone steaks, or decent homes, or new cars. We have been described as fanatics. We are fanatics. Our lives are dominated by one great overshadowing factor: the struggle for world communism. We communists have a philosophy of life which no amount of money can buy. We have a cause to fight for, a definite purpose in life. We subordinate our petty personal selves into a great movement of humanity; and if our personal lives seem hard or our egos appear to suffer through subordination to the party, then we are adequately compensated by the thought that each of us in his small way is contributing to something new and true and better for mankind.
    There is one thing which I am in dead earnest about, and that is the communist cause. It is my life, my business, my religion, my hobby, my sweetheart, my wife, my mistress, and my bread and meat. I work at it in the daytime and dream of it at night. Its hold on me grows, not lessens, as time goes on; therefore, I cannot carry on a friendship, a love affair, or even a conversation without relating it to this force which both drives and guides my life. I evaluate people, looks, ideas, and actions according to how they affect the communist cause, and by their attitude toward it. I've already been in jail because of my ideals, and if necessary, I'm ready to go before a firing squad.”

If a communist can be that dedicated for a worldly ideology that is a failure, why aren’t we that dedicated for a spiritual ideology that is a success?

1 Corinthians 9:25-27 (NCV);
    “All those who compete in the games use self-control so they can win a crown. That crown is an earthly thing that lasts only a short time, but our crown will never be destroyed. So I do not run without a goal. I fight like a boxer who is hitting something—not just the air. I treat my body hard and make it my slave so that I myself will not be disqualified after I have preached to others.”

May God richly bless each one of you -