Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Re: Chaplains Corner

This is pretty much what soured me on church. Not on God. People using the contacts for personal gain and doing whatever they pleased during the week and then praying about it, asking for forgiveness and then feeling like their actions were now absolved come Sunday. When a contractor or business person give me a business card with the fish symbol on it , I generally run backwards!
  2. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o

With gas as it is, we do not attend church as much as we like to (plus my wife is a chef at a resort state park near by and HAS to work Sunday mournings). The one church I know is not hypocritical is about 25 miles away plus my FIL is a deacon in it. I was raised in the Methodist Church but was also raised that as long as you keep the Lord in your heart, your mind, and in the way you live; then going to a building is not an absolute neccessity. I only wished we had a good church in our area, all around us are full of hypocrits who take their mistresses out on Saturday night and take the wife/family to Church on Sunday. Now my cup of tea! Now that my kids are getting out on their own, they are ensuring that they and my grandkids are going to church as we used to do as they were growing up.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

What can I say, guys?
    It is NOT an absolute necessity for a Christian to go to church regularly.
    And I preach that as well; you SHOULD, you will be stronger if you DO, but it is not a NECESSITY.
    It is like Tithing.
    We are SUPPOSED to, and if you want to be as obedient as possible, you WILL, but it is not a salvation issue either.
    Of course, neither of these facts are very popular with most preachers.
    But then, most preachers are supported by the church, so high attendance and large donations insure their income, therefore they tend to overemphasize both.
    Sure glad I am not faced with that temptation!

What is more important than attending and supporting a church?

I once read a story which was told by a pastor in Haiti, which I thought made an excellent point:
    A certain man wanted to sell his house for $2,000. (Property values on these islands are LOW!!) Another man wanted very badly to buy it, but because he was poor, he couldn't afford the full price. After much bargaining, the owner agreed to sell the house for half the original price with just one stipulation: he would retain ownership of one small nail protruding from just over the door.
    After several years, the original owner wanted the house back, but the new owner was unwilling to sell. So the original owner went out and found the carcass of a dead dog, and hung it from the nail he still owned. Soon the house became unlivable and the family was forced to sell the house to the owner of the nail.
    The moral of this story? If we leave the Devil with even one small peg in our life, he will return to hang his rotting garbage on it, making it unfit for Christ's habitation.
    We come to Jesus “just as I am”, for we cannot cleanse ourselves and make ourselves worthy of his love.
    But once we HAVE come to him, once we HAVE accepted him, we must set to work at once ferreting out every trace of worldly sin that is in us, lest we leave a nail for Satan to base his claim for our souls on.
    The Word of God addresses this in several places:

2 Chronicles 20:33 (KJV);
    "Howbeit the high places were not taken away: for as yet the people had not prepared their hearts unto the God of their fathers."
    2 Corinthians 6:14 (GWT);
    "Stop forming inappropriate relationships with unbelievers. Can right and wrong be partners? Can light have anything in common with darkness?"
    2 Kings 10:31(NCV);
    "But Jehu was not careful to follow the teachings of the LORD, the God of Israel, with all his heart. He did not stop doing the same sins Jeroboam had done, by which he had led Israel to sin."

We can be a bit soft and lax on church attendance and probably retain our salvation.
    We can be a bit short on our tithe and probably retain our salvation.
    But if we are soft on sin in our lives, we are going to lose it.

God bless you, guys -
  4. Airdale

Airdale Member

Thanks Terry.

I try to start evry day with a visit to the Chaplain's Corner.
  5. ampaterry

I appreciate that, Airdale!
  6. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I do appreciate your posts, Terry. I really do. You are providing a needed service here . Jesus wasn't preaching to the saints, either.
  7. ampaterry

Thank you, permafrost -

Thought for today:

Following Basic Training in TX, I was sent to Denver CO to attend electronics school. I was young, and unprepared for the numerous panhandlers I encountered on the streets of Denver. I will never forget the first one I encountered; it was my first Saturday off base, and this middle aged bearded man accosted me. His story was that he had located a job, but had no means to clean himself up for his interview the following Monday. He said he was five dollars short of the price of a hotel room where he could get presentable, and from then on he would be OK. He even went into detail about the written and telephone interviews he had gone through, how he had answered the various questions, and what the job involved. Oddly, it was in Electronics, the exact field which my ID badge showed I was in. I believed him, and handed him a five dollar bill.
    The next Saturday, I was again downtown in Denver, and on the same street corner, I encountered the same man. He immediately came over to me and told me the IDENTICAL same story again, right down to the amount he was short for his room. I pointed out that he had handed me that same line a week previously, and he looked scared and quickly walked away down the street. He, like most of those who hold up those signs claiming they "will work for food", was attempting to present himself as something he was not.
    Such tricks may work for a while, but God will judge those that play on the sympathy of others for their own gain in the end.
    The Word of God tells us in
    Luke 18:10-14 (KJV);
    "Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted."
    God bless each of you, guys -
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

gotta back up permafrost on that , Cheers to you Terry
  9. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

AMEN !!! Thanks Terry, Just not catching up on your post. I reall appreaciate you and the time you spend on the forum, teaching the word of God.
  10. Python

Python Former Guest

Where is it that Jesus wasn't preaching to the saints?
  11. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I could be wrong, but I think this is what he is referancing.

Matthew 9

10 While Jesus was having dinner at Matthew’s house, many tax collectors and sinners came and ate with him and his disciples. 11 When the Pharisees saw this, they asked his disciples, “Why does your teacher eat with tax collectors and sinners?”

12 On hearing this, Jesus said, “It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. 13 But go and learn what this means: ‘I desire mercy, not sacrifice.’[a] For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.”

There aint nothin but a bunch of sinners here, anyway. If you go look at the church on Sundays it'll be packed full of them as well.
  12. Python

Python Former Guest

My question was in reference to Luke 18:10-14, because Jesus was clearly telling this Parable to His disciples (saints).
  13. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

Yeah, This what I meant. I'm not versed on scripture, so can't quote anything. Just saying Jesus was more interested in saving the sinners. I'm definitely one. Thanks for clarifying for me , Country
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  14. Country101

Country101 Active Member

No problem, permafrost. I'm no wizard with scripture, either. I cheat. :D I could remember some of the verse, so I googled it.
  15. ampaterry

I think it depends on your definition of "preaching".
    To my way of thinking, preaching is the appeal to the lost to get saved, while teaching is the bringing of the saved into an even closer relationship with God.
    Using that definition, the saints don't get preached to, but get teaching instead.

But this is more an opinion than hard fact; the only thing we know for sure is that preaching and teaching are two different things in scripture. Preaching is more proclaiming while teaching is - well - teaching.

Excellent thoughts, though, guys -
    Any disagreement that causes folks to delve into the Word of God is a GOOD disagreement!!