Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Re: Chaplains Corner

We all know the story of Moses climbing up on Mt. Sinai to receive the Law from God:
    Exodus 24:12 (KJV);
    And the LORD said unto Moses, Come up to me into the mount, and be there: and I will give thee tables of stone, and a law, and commandments which I have written; that thou mayest teach them.
    We all KNOW that story, but we do little to remember the time or the place of it. The Jewish people, on the other hand, commemorate the date of this occurrence every year as the second of the their three major festivals of both historic and agricultural significance; Shavuot. The other two such festivals are Passover and Sukkot. The date of Shavuot moves around on our calendar, but it is fixed on the Hebrew calendar to the 6th of Sivan, which is today. As with all Jewish days, today actually began at sundown yesterday, and ends at sunset today.
    Shavuot is not only the day which celebrates the historic event of the giving of the Torah, but it also commemorates the time when the first fruits are harvested and brought to the temple.
    In celebration of this day, no work is performed. The Jewish people stayed awake all night last night reading the Torah, and they had prayers as early as possible this morning.
    In contrast to this, many Christians can hardly stand an hour of church a week, would not loose sleep over anything religious without a personal appearance of Jesus Christ demanding it of them, have not read the Bible in months – if ever, and pray only when they need something.
    The Jews are radical.
    They love God, and aren't ashamed to say it and live it.
    Too bad we don't have more Christians that do that.

Have a blessed Shavuot, my Jewish brothers. I pray that God will bless you for your many remembrances of Him and His word.

And may God bless the rest of us as well, and cause us to seek a closer relationship with Him.
  2. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

"Preach the gospel, and if necessary, use words."

We Christians need to LIVE the gospel, even more than just tell it.

Keep up the great work, Terry!
  3. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

AMEN ! Terry.
    Great teachings. I am ashamed to say it, but I did not know this. Thanks for sharing.
  4. ampaterry

Sometimes on this forum we have differences of opinion.
    Sometimes (not often!) they get a bit heated -

We would all find more serenity in life if we could simply do away with comparisons and envy. God made us diverse, and, in God's eyes at least, our diversity lacks hierarchy. As it says in the song "Some Children," God makes of us a blend of differences: different people thinking in harmony. Each one is vital, but only if they follow their calling and aren't fighting against the others for control. We should treasure our diversity rather than stifle it.

1 Corinthians 12:12-26 (GWT); "For example, the body is one unit and yet has many parts. As all the parts form one body, so it is with Christ. By one Spirit we were all baptized into one body. Whether we are Jewish or Greek, slave or free, God gave all of us one Spirit to drink.

“As you know, the human body is not made up of only one part, but of many parts. Suppose a foot says, "I'm not a hand, so I'm not part of the body!" Would that mean it's no longer part of the body? Or suppose an ear says, "I'm not an eye, so I'm not a part of the body!" Would that mean it's no longer part of the body? If the whole body were an eye, how could it hear? If the whole body were an ear, how could it smell? So God put each and every part of the body together as he wanted it. How could it be a body if it only had one part? So there are many parts but one body.

“An eye can't say to a hand, "I don't need you!" Or again, the head can't say to the feet, "I don't need you!" The opposite is true. The parts of the body that we think are weaker are the ones we really need. The parts of the body that we think are less honorable are the ones we give special honor. So our unpresentable parts are made more presentable. However, our presentable parts don't need this kind of treatment. God has put the body together and given special honor to the part that doesn't have it. God's purpose was that the body should not be divided but rather that all of its parts should feel the same concern for each other. If one part of the body suffers, all the other parts share its suffering. If one part is praised, all the others share in its happiness.”

Everyone is VITAL! You may think your little toe is un-important – but if you drop a brick on it, you will find out exactly how much a part of your body it is, and how much it’s well-being means to the rest of you! And that is the way it is here. Everyone - from Sam to Glocknut - is a vital part of this forum. When we lose a part for any reason whatsoever, we are diminished by that.

God bless each one of you -
  5. Woodnut

AMEN !
    As usual, another good teaching Terry.
  6. ampaterry

Thank you, guys, for your words of support in this forum. They are GREATLY appreciated!
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Terry , we would not be sayin it if it was not so ,

ever read the wigglesworth story of the bloke running around in hell , looking for the other bloke who lead him there ??
  8. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Thank you, Terry.

I look forward to your words of wisdom each day.

[Sorry, I forgot !!! God's words of wisdom through you His messenger here for us.]
  9. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

Awesome, thanks!
  10. ampaterry

A major Philanthropist of the 19th century, Daniel Drew founded Drew Seminary and headed several religious committees in New York.
    But what did that mean, REALLY? Consider the following before you decide:
    In 1815 Drew, then chief drover of Ohio cattle herds, mixed salt with the feed and did not allow the cattle to drink water for three days. Upon arrival at Henry Astor's station the cows drank their fill, and then were weighed. "That's the finest-looking herd of cattle I've seen," remarked Mr. Astor. Drew collected and departed.
    Years of shady dealings made Drew a tycoon. In 1867 he, with Jay Gould and James Fiske, bilked Cornelius Vanderbilt out of $7 million. Drew controlled the Erie Railroad, which Vanderbilt craved to add to his New York Central line. As Vanderbilt snapped up huge chunks of Erie stock, Drew again "watered stock" by printing thousands of extra shares on a small press. The value of Erie stock had reached $57 million when a broker noticed that the certificates smeared easily--Drew was printing stock so fast the ink was still wet! The market crashed, Vanderbilt lost millions.
    Drew went on to net about $20 million in an 1869 attempt to corner the gold market.
    So, what did it benefit Drew to found a religious seminary? Spiritually, nothing, because God is not fooled by such. In his case, it seems the world was not fooled by his actions either. Former "partners" of Drew, Fiske and Gould, tricked him out of part of his fortune; soon after, in 1873, a selling panic ruined his empire. By 1876 Daniel Drew was bankrupt.
    The Word of God speaks to us of the lack of true value of riches.

Proverbs 16:8 (KJV);
    "Better is a little with righteousness than great revenues without right."
    Ecclesiastes 5:9-10(KJV);
    "Moreover the profit of the earth is for all: the king himself is served by the field. He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity."

Money is only a means to an end, guys -
    If you find that money itself is your goal, you are in trouble.
  11. Woodnut

AMEN !!

Money is only a means to an end, guys -
    If you find that money itself is your goal, you are in trouble

Terry, I believe this with all my heart.
  12. ampaterry

Tomorrow is Children's Day. This is not a holiday here in the US, and to be honest I am not in favor of making it one. I am fully aware of the importance of children, to be sure. I know that the future of our country rests in the hands of the children. I know that each generation, folks of my age have handed off the reins of the nation to the next generation, and retire – depending on those children to keep things running well.
    But I see a problem in our nation. I see news reports that are centered around children. Every time anything unusual happens in a school, a platoon of counselors descends upon the school to help the students deal with the adversity. No matter what the news issue is, some reporter somewhere is going to get a pre-teen kid on the air and ask them what they think about it. Every time I go to the store, I am treated to kids running and screaming, slamming into me. Sometimes, they even poke through my cart, handling the things I have chosen to buy. And all of this is within PLAIN SIGHT of their parents, who merely smile at their antics. At the check-out, they will pull candy and toys off the shelves by the check-out lane, and pitch a fit until one of their parents buys it for them to shut them up. When I drive at the right time of day, it takes forever to get anywhere because the school buses stop at each driveway to pick kids up in the morning and again to let them off in the afternoon. They will do this right up to a block from the school, assuring that the little darlings don't have to walk more than 25 feet a day. Then, our tax money goes into school lunch programs to ensure that they get a healthy diet!
    What I am saying is this:
    We do not need a special day to cater to our children in the United States in the 21st century. If someone will propose that we have one day to let the kids WALK to school while carrying a sack lunch from home, cause them to be polite, cause them to NOT get a piece of candy or a toy by fussing about it, then I will get behind that movement.
    What does the bible say about disciplining children?

Proverbs 13:24 (MSG); A refusal to correct is a refusal to love; love your children by disciplining them.

None of the problems that I have pointed out above are the kids' fault. All are due to poor parenting.
  13. Woodnut

Amen !! Terry

Well put, and my thinking exactly. I have said for several years now, that the condition our country is our fault as parents. We have not raised our children as we were raised.
    Now I must say that I would be in jail in today's world if I had to raise a child in this environment. I just could not abide be the new laws that have been put in place. When I raised my family (several years ago), if one of them needed a spanking in a dept. store or grocery, that's where they got it. I would like to add that I never bruised or abused my children, but they respected what I told them. I never had any of them back talk me, they knew better. I could talk for hours on this but will button it up for now. The whole point is that if I had a child in Wal Mart in todays time and they acted up, someone would call the law and I would be locked up, because I believe in discipline on the spot.
    Letting the children run wild is the reason this nation is in the shape it is in today, that and TV, Video games and other things. We had to make our own toys and go to bed at dark because we did not have electricity. See, I told you I could go on forever. There's plenty more where that came from.
  14. Juker

Juker New Member

Good message, Terry, thanks!

A few years ago my son came home from his freshman year at college and thanked us for spanking him when he was a child. We were a bit taken aback, and asked why. He said he was surrounded by spoiled kids who had no discipline, no sense of right and wrong, no qualms about breaking every rule, no morals, no correct priorities - everyone seemed to be on a quest to get laid, get tattooed, and get something pierced. My son is on the dean's list and works two jobs, and several of his closest friends have already dropped out, been arrested, or gotten hooked on drugs. When we count our blessings, he is at the top of the list.

I have siblings who choose to parent by explaining everything to their children. Every issue is a discussion where the kids get to vote. I'm not saying children don't have a voice, but if rules aren't established for them, they have no foundation for making good decisions. As a result, I have teenage nephews and nieces who are spoiled beyond belief, get everything they desire, still scream for what they want, are allowed to storm out of a room, have been in trouble with the police, and eat like pigs at a trough. And when good ol' Uncle Juker corrects them, he catches hell from the parents.

"Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old, he will not depart from it." (Proverbs 22:6)
  15. Woodnut

Junker,
    Congrats on a son well raised.

Everything else Well Spoken and I agree with you.