Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

Re: Chaplains Corner

OOOOOH MYYYYYY! now im in for it!! :) Welcome preacher60!!
  2. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we

Well, finally, you got in! Welcome to the forum. Guys this man is my brother, give him a warm welcome. He is a preacher, and has made his first post here.
  3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Today is the birthday of Orville Wright. With his brother Wilbur, he designed and tested the first fixed wing aircraft with controls which made fixed wing flight possible. The date was December 17th of 1903. The flight lasted 12 seconds, and traveled about 120 feet.
    From this humble beginning, all of modern aviation has grown.
    In recognition of their contribution, today was selected as the date for National Aviation Day by President Franklin Roosevelt in 1939. On this day, we pay honor to all involved in Aviation, and all who through their hard work and devotion have brought about all the benefits we have today from this major industry.

I am thankful to each one that contributed. I am respectful of all the pilots, flight attendants, Air Traffic Controllers, and everyone else that works in this field.
    But my respect for the policy makers in this industry is gone. I will never again board a commercial aircraft due to their complete ineptness in planning and controlling an industry that is such a vital part of our modern society. My wife will not again be subjected to a pat-down search based upon the supposed need to treat all people equally, regardless of what history has shown us. We will never again find ourselves in a distant city with no clothes to wear because the airline has no system in place to ensure that the luggage is safely delivered to the passengers at their final destination. I will never again watch in horror as my wife's flight number is simply erased from the arrivals board after being delayed for hours, with no indication of what happened to it.

You are a great bunch of guys and gals, and I pray for your safety, but unless and until there are major changes in the management of your industry, I will drive where I need to go, or stay home.

This is for the upper management of the major airlines:
    Proverbs 13:11 (KJV);
    Wealth gotten by vanity shall be diminished: but he that gathereth by labour shall increase.

Quit reveling in your cars, portfolios, landed estates and country club memberships, and go to WORK!!

If any of you guys on TFF have to fly, I pray that God will watch over you in this mismanaged industry. And may He bless each and every one of you, in the air or not.
  4. ampaterry

I will be SO glad when I am doing all work from the new machine; this one is STILL going nuts -
    When I opened this thread, NONE of the above comments were showing below post 495, my post yesterday. When I posted the above, all the comments showed up -
    WILD!!!

Welcome, Preacher60!
    It is not POSSIBLE to have too many preachers in TFF -
    I am a dip/juice/free-will kind of guy -
    But I don't get upset with the sprinkle/wine/pre-ordained folks.
    Heck I don't even get upset with the snake handlers in the East end of my state; anyone TRYING to follow God's directions is great in my book, because we are ALL going to get some of them wrong -
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

G'day and Welcome preacher60

not ashamed but openly Proud happy and grateful to hear the Good Word as often as we/ i can

and Thankful for Terry's Words

Attached Files:

• PTBC.jpg
      PTBC.jpg
      File size:
      37.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  6. Airdale

Airdale Member

Welcome aboard preacher60!
  7. Airdale

Airdale Member

Terry,

Couldn't agree more about flying in today's world. I was really irked when I saw a group of mennonite women and their daughters singled out and taken behind screens to be "inspected". Then my wife was subjected to a "pat down" on a trip to see her mother and I'd had enough. I now will fly only if circumkstances leave me with no other choice (hasn't happened yet).

Driving home from California after my "bucket trip" last year I rediscovered the pleasures of traveling by car. Stop at decent hotels/motels, take time to people watch and to enjoy the scenery and take in the changes to the country (even the the desert could boast of the addition of cell towers). If you can do that driving beats flying any day.
  8. ampaterry

I read a story about a couple who were spending a week at a Christian camp. They had seen their children and grandchildren attend these camps every summer for years, but this was their first time to attend one. While there, they received this letter from one of their college age granddaughters:

"Dear Grandma and Grandpa,
    “How are you? What do you think of camp? Do you like the speakers? I hope all is well with you. Have fun! Thinking of you with love, Janine."

Enclosed with the letter were five one-dollar bills for them to use as spending money.

That reminded me of one time we visited our daughter and her husband when they lived in Springfield Missouri. We made the trip on the motorcycle we had just bought, and enjoyed it VERY much. While there, I wanted to get a can of special motorcycle windshield cleaner, so looked up the address of the Honda dealer in Springfield, and Judy and I headed over to pick it up on the bike. Tracy wanted to drive us over in their car, but we think the bike is more fun, so we declined. While at the dealer, I looked out the window and saw Tracy and Ron's car lurking at the edge of the parking lot. They had followed us over to make sure we were safe. I told Judy and the counter man about it, and we all had quite a chuckle about how roles can become reversed as we age.
    Then we went out and had a drag race with a guy in a corvette.
    We beat him.
    Role reversals are GREAT!
    The Word of God tells us:
    Psalms 71:9 (GWT);
    " Do not reject me when I am old or abandon me when I lose my strength."

Proverbs 16:31 (NCV);
    "Gray hair is like a crown of honor; it is earned by living a good life."

Titus 2:2-3 (KJV);
    "That the aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity, in patience. The aged women likewise, that they be in behaviour as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things;"

I pray that each one of you enjoy's the later years of your life at least as much as I am -
  9. hunter29180

hunter29180 Active Member

been there, had a laugh too. nice to know our children really do still care about us!
  10. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

Terry, That story really hits close to home! Thanks for sharing!
  11. Rocketman1

Rocketman1 Well-Known Member

Chaplain and members.

My wife has just been diagnosed with a vary rare skin disease called Pityriasis Rubra Pilaris (PRP). It is not know what causes it, and there is no know cure. It started several months ago, when her face turned bright red. Now it has progressed to an ugly orange rash all over her body. The skin on the palms of her hands and her feet is starting to become thick dry and cracked. It is sometimes treatable, with a drug called soriatane (Acitretin), but this drug can have serious side effects. From what we have learned so far it will eventually go ito remission, after three to four years when treated with soriatane. The problem is the soriatane is too expensive. My co pay after insurance is about $500 per month. (Total cost with out insurance is roughly $2000.)

Were not sure what we will do yet, we are still researching the side effects of the drug, and looking into alternative treatments. I found out tonight that I can by the same drug in Canada for $300, and that is with no insurance. This tells me that the American drug companies are getting rich off of poor sick people. Shame on them!!

After what happened with my mother-in-law last month I believe in prayer and divine intervention, so please send them my way.

Thanks
    Rocketman
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Prayers from Oz on the way
  13. ampaterry

Heavenly Father, we come before you this morning upholding this woman.
    The medical treatments available from our doctors are not affordable.
    But Lord, we know that you are God of all things.
    We know that all healing comes from you, regardless of the tool you use to bring it about.
    We ask this morning for a healing.
    We don't pray about which tool you use to bring that healing, but for the healing itself.
    If you choose to make the medicine affordable by some means, we will give you the praise.
    If you choose to bring a healing without medicine, we will give you the praise.
    We ask for a healing, Lord, and we place her health in your hands, and trust you to bring this about by some means.
    We also ask that you would touch her mind and give her assurance that you are in charge, and all things will be done in accordance with your will.
    Be with her husband, family and friends at this time as they all deal with this.
    Give them strength - -

And we ask all of these things in the Holy name of Jesus, the Christ - the Great Physician - -

Amen -
  14. ampaterry

It has been a few weeks, so it is time for another QUIZ! In keeping with the current fad of radical diets to maintain the look of an Auschwitz survivor, this quiz will be on Famines.

1. Which of the four horsemen in Revelation spreads famine on the earth?
    2. Who was food storage supervisor in Egypt when famine came?
    3. What nation was the victim of a seven-year famine in Elisha's time?
    4. Where did Abram go when famine struck?
    5. What New Testament prophet predicted a worldwide famine?
    6. Who went to live with the Philistines during a famine?
    7. What two plagues probably caused famine in Egypt?
    8. What king's reign saw a three-year famine, which ended when Elijah said rain was coming?
    9. What figure in a parable found himself starving?
    10. What Babylonian king caused famine in Jerusalem?
    11. Who sent his sons to Egypt because of famine in the land?

Answers:

1. The rider on the black horse (Revelation 6:5-6)
    2. Joseph (Genesis 41)
    3. Israel (2 Kings 8:1-2)
    4. Egypt (Genesis 12:10)
    5. Agabus (Acts 11:28)
    6. Isaac (Genesis 26:1)
    7. Locusts and hail (Exodus 10:14-15)
    8. Ahab's (1 Kings 17:1; 18:44-45)
    9. The prodigal son (Luke 15:14)
    10. Nebuchadnezzar (2 Kings 25:1-3)
    11. Jacob (Genesis 42:1-2)

How did you do? Remember that you would be far better off READING about insufficient nutrition in the Bible than RECEIVING insufficient nutrition in some crazy diet to look like some skin-and-bones popular icon!

May the Good Lord bless and keep each one of you, guys - -
  15. ampaterry

Yesterday, I spoke briefly about the diet trends which over-do weight loss. Now, anyone that knows me knows that I do NOT follow this trend. Some of these people are in such poor condition due to excess dieting and subsequent weight loss that the least minor illness becomes MAJOR, since they have zero reserves for energy. For my part, if I become too ill to eat for a week or two, no harm will be done at all!

But there are other reasons for setting into a radical diet, and one of them is what I want to discuss with you today, and that is fasting for spiritual reasons. I assure you, from both the Word of God and my own personal experience, a fast of a day or two has great benefit, spiritually. When your body energy is not being used to digest food, it is expended in other areas of the body, such as the BRAIN, which causes your mental capacity to be noticeably increased. Bible study and meditation combined with a fast have great benefit for a Christian, but should NEVER be done to excess. And, one should be prepared to deal with family and friends that may attempt to talk them out of any kind of fast.
    I once read a story, for instance, about a man who announced to his family that he was going to enter a few days of fasting and pray. His 5-year-old daughter had recently learned that fasting meant not eating.
    "No!" she shouted. "You can't fast! You'll die!"
    Her dad carefully explained that many men and women fasted in Bible times.
    His daughter only paused a moment, and then, with a flash of insight and a note of warning, she proved her point. "And they all died!" she said.

The Word of God tells us that Moses fasted while on Mt. Sinai;
    Exodus 34:28(KJV);
    "And he was there with the LORD forty days and forty nights; he did neither eat bread, nor drink water. And he wrote upon the tables the words of the covenant, the ten commandments."

The New Testament believers fasted;
    Acts 14:23(KJV);
    "And when they had ordained them elders in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, on whom they believed."

Follow these examples in the ACT of fasting, but do not follow Moses’ example for the duration of fasting; his was, after all, a unique experience.

May God bless you, guys -
  16. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Fasting

question for you Terry

is it just food or is it other things as well ?

i've a mate whom i would consider a good and holy man , but like all men has weakness's , he like me is a smoker . and he stops smoking at Easter and Christmas,

drinking too !!! ( for a aussie to not have a beer at Christmas is of note )

he dont rant about it , it's just something i noticed over the years and asked him on it once

your thoughts ?
  17. reflex1

reflex1 Active Member

Thought y'all (well the older ones at least) might enjoy this!!!

Senior version of Jesus Loves Me

While watching a little TV on Sunday instead of going to church, I watched a church in Atlanta honoring one of its senior pastors who had been retired many years. He was 92 at that time and I wondered why the church even bothered to ask the old gentleman to preach at that age. After a warm welcome, introduction of this speaker, and as the applause quieted down, he rose from his high back chair and walked slowly, with great effort and a sliding gait to the podium. Without a note or written paper of any kind he placed both hands on the pulpit to steady himself and then quietly and slowly he began to speak ...

"When I was asked to come here today and talk to you, your pastor asked me to tell you what was the greatest lesson ever learned in my 50-odd years of preaching. I thought about it for a few days and boiled it down to just one thing that made the most difference in my life and sustained me through all my trials. The one thing that I could always rely on when tears and heartbreak and pain and fear and sorrow paralyzed me.

The only thing that would comfort me was this verse ...

"Jesus loves me this I know.
    For the Bible tells me so.
    Little ones to Him belong,
    We are weak but He is strong.....

Yes, Jesus loves me.....
    The Bible tells me so."

The old pastor stated, "I always noticed that it was the adults who chose the children's hymn 'Jesus Loves Me' (for the children of course) during a hymn sing, and it was the adults who sang the loudest because I could see they knew it the best."

"Here for you now is a Senior version of Jesus Loves Me":

JESUS LOVES ME

Jesus loves me, this I know,
    Though my hair is white as snow
    Though my sight is growing dim,
    Still He bids me trust in Him.

(CHORUS)

YES, JESUS LOVES ME.. YES, JESUS LOVES ME..
    YES, JESUS LOVES ME, FOR THE BIBLE TELLS ME SO.

Though my steps are oh, so slow,
    With my hand in His I'll go
    On through life, let come what may,
    He'll be there to lead the way.

(CHORUS)

When the nights are dark and long,
    In my heart He puts a song..
    Telling me in words so clear,
    "Have no fear, for I am near."

(CHORUS)

When my work on earth is done,
    And life's victories have been won.
    He will take me home above,
    Then I'll understand His love.

(CHORUS)

I love Jesus, does He know?
    Have I ever told Him so?
    Jesus loves to hear me say,
    That I love Him every day.

(CHORUS)

If you think this is neat, please pass it on to your friends. If you do not pass it on, nothing bad will happen, but you will have missed an opportunity to "reach out and touch" a friend or a loved one.

God Bless Us All!!!
  18. reflex1

reflex1 Active Member

And one more before I call it a night!

BLESSED IN AGING

A Poem by Ester Mary Walker

::: ::: :::

Blessed are they who understand
    My faltering step and shaking hand
    Blessed, who know my ears today
    Must strain to hear the things they say.
    Blessed are those who seem to know
    My eyes are dim and my mind is slow
    Blessed are those who look away
    When I spilled tea that weary day.
    Blessed are they who, with cheery smile
    Stopped to chat for a little while
    Blessed are they who know the way
    To bring back memories of yesterday.
    Blessed are those who never say
    “You’ve told that story twice today”
    Blessed are they who make it known
    That I am loved, respected and not alone.
    And blessed are they who will ease the days
    Of my journey home, in loving ways.
  19. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Cheers Reflex, there're Rippers!
  20. ampaterry

Good stuff, Reflex!!

Jack, giving up smoking or drinking (or anything else usually enjoyed) for a specific time is good for you because it exercises self-restraint, which is a character building exercise.

Fasting is also good for you in the same way, but has the added benefit of allowing your bodies energy to focus on things other than digestion.

For today, even more self improvement.

I have always loved Charles Schulz's "Peanuts" comic strip. There were so many real truths brought out by this mans writings, and it is truly sad that there will be no more new ones. I remember the one where Linus asks Lucy,
    "Why are you always so anxious to criticize me?" She answers,
    "I just think I have a knack for seeing other people's faults."
    "What about your own faults?" asks Linus. Her response is,
    "I have a knack for overlooking them."

We have two things to learn from that little cartoon strip:
    First, as Christians, we should always be looking for the POSITIVE rather than the negative. The Word of God tells us:
    Philippians 4:8 (KJV);
    "Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."

And second, as Christians, we are not to make ourselves out to be the judge of other people. Jesus tells us:
    Matthew 7:1-5 (NCV);
    "Don't judge other people, or you will be judged. You will be judged in the same way that you judge others, and the amount you give to others will be given to you. "Why do you notice the little piece of dust in your friend's eye, but you don't notice the big piece of wood in your own eye? How can you say to your friend, 'Let me take that little piece of dust out of your eye'? Look at yourself! You still have that big piece of wood in your own eye. You hypocrite! First, take the wood out of your own eye. Then you will see clearly to take the dust out of your friend's eye."

Deep truths in a comic strip? Indeed, we can find deep truths in virtually everything we encounter in this life. All we have to do is LOOK for them.

I will talk to you again tomorrow - and may God RICHLY bless you.