Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Python

Python Former Guest

Re: Chaplains Corner

Rosh Hashana is also known as The Feast Of Trumpets and the Day Of Judgement. The Feast Of Trumpets begins with Rosh Hashana. The solemnization continue for Ten Days Of Repentance, culminating on Yom Kippur or The Day Of Atonement/ "New Beginnings". Many scholars believe that the Rapture will occur "sometime" (not knowing the day or the hour) during The Feast Of Trumpets and Yom Kippur (New Beginnings) will enter Israel into the 70th Week Of Daniel where God once again turns His attention to reconciliation with Israel. According to Jewish tradition Yom Kippur is also the day when God decides the fate of each human being.
  2. Python

Python Former Guest

The "ugly" is Hollywood's way to make money.
  3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Daily devotional for today, guys:

I read about a pastor who disliked answering machines. Many people feel that way, so that is no big thing, but it is interesting how he ended up with one. When he and his wife were gone on vacation, he called home to speak to his daughter who had stayed there, and got an answering machine. Redialing carefully, he got it again. On the third time, his daughter answered, and explained that she had just bought her mother an answering machine for her birthday.
    He admitted that they got a lot of use out of that machine, but it is funny how they got it. Their daughter gave her mother what she wanted--an answering machine to get messages from her friends.

There are many different perspectives on giving, especially among children. For example, many kids agree that homemade things are not real gifts. "Don't give me a homemade thing," they say. Another is "Don't send me to a birthday party with a cheap gift. Anything under ten dollars is an embarrassing excuse for a gift." That's their wisdom about giving birthday gifts.

What's your wisdom about giving? In your mind, what constitutes a "real" gift? What do you think real giving to God is? What kind of giving pleases him, honors him, advances his work?

The Word of God has much to say about gifts given to God:
    Numbers 31:50 (KJV);
    "We have therefore brought an oblation for the LORD, what every man hath gotten, of jewels of gold, chains, and bracelets, rings, earrings, and tablets, to make an atonement for our souls before the LORD. "

Proverbs 3:9 (KJV);
    "Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:"

Many churches speak often of “sacrificial giving”, and also of “seed giving” meaning you give money to God to get money in return. Usually, these pushes are more about enriching the church than the members.
    What does God say about sacrificial giving?
    Psalm 51:16-17 (KJV);
    For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

Sacrificial giving, giving money "until it hurts", is not what God has asked.
    He asks that we give ourselves to him - -

God bless you, guys -
  4. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Good lesson terry, many people do not realize this.
    AMEN!
  5. ampaterry

I see the new forum as the place for multiple threads.
    One stickied at the top will be this one, a daily devotional.
    Others can be questions, discussions, prayer requests, sharing of interventions, testimonies, etc. It will work a lot better that way, I believe, because I have had several contact me in PM asking something and saying they did not want to "hi-jack" the devotional thread.

So, if it was hidden from you, and that hiding contributed to your influence in opening up a new forum, I would say the hiding came from above, not from below.

The one crucial thing in the new forum, IF we intend to be allowed to KEEP it, is absolutely no heated arguments, no insults, etc., as these were the reason for banning religious discussions in the first place. We are being given a chance here, guys, to show exactly how decently we can all conduct ourselves in an area that is very commonly a battle ground.

For my part, I am an independent. I have attended services that were Baptist, Lutheran, Pentecostal, Presbyterian, Nazarene, Holiness, Church of Christ, Mormon, Seventh Day Adventist, Church of God, Cumberland Presbyterian and a lots of less well known and independent ones. I have had conversations with pastors, preachers, evangelists, elders, priests and Rabi's regarding their beliefs. I have found things in each one that I liked, and things in each that I did not like. I have found NO denomination in which ALL are saved, and I have found none in which all were lost.

One thing I am sure of.
    Going to Church on Sunday morning does not make you a Christian any more than going to a football game makes you a quarterback.

I do not yet know when the new forum will open, but I look forward to it, and I beseech each one here to help keep it civil when it does open so we are allowed to keep it.
  6. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

Amen! Thanks Terry. I'm looking forward to the new forum.
  7. ampaterry

Python is right; we WANT things that are evil to be ugly.
    We WANT to portray Satan as a horrid monster that only truly perverted people could be attracted to.
    But the reality is, Satan is very attractive.
    How else could he manage to sucker in people with plenty of bible knowledge, as he did Jimmy Swaggart? Heck, how else could he manage to cause ANY of us to sin?

Have you ever seen a beautiful person on the outside that was, inside, blackness?
    How about the beauty of the Box Jellyfish, whose touch is death?

Satan is very attractive.
    I feel his allure almost every day since I left his camp thirty five years ago.
  8. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

I hope i didn't say anything wrong. I dont know why some threads were deleted. I hope i was not the cause of it. I know i get excited sometimes but i was just asking questions.
  9. ampaterry

Cyclone, nothing I said was aimed specifically at you!
    Like you, I am getting excited about the new forum, and am VERY concerned that everyone be really cool on it so that we are allowed to KEEP it and not have it go south like so many Christian threads have.
    Religious issues are TOUGH to keep civil, because people feel them in their gut, and the stakes are so very high. Folks just naturally want to MAKE people see their own POV, because they believe in their heart that their belief is right, and they want others agree so they can also go to Heaven!

This is going to be tough, it is going to be challenging, but I honestly believe we can do this.
  10. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

The leadership here has a tough job. That job is trying to keep everyone from all walks of life happy. You have people from every corner of the earth and every denomination there is and you have athiests and you have people who dont have a clue what they are. Some love god, others hate the mention of him. Some want to discuss salvation and others want to disprove it. It will ALWAYS be that way until the lord comes back and settles things for good. We are primarily a gun forum first. Not a religion forum. But, many of us are christian so, how in the world do we not discuss what is most near and dear to our hearts? Problem is, we dont see it as an issue. But, our forum member brother that has been a member here for many years and has contributed just as much as anyone may be offended by it or just cant understand why it should take place on a firearms forum.

I will try not to ramble on but this is a complicated matter. Almost 99 percent of every religious based thread we have had here has gone south and ended badly. There was even a time many members left because of it. I dont understand it, but they did. Some might say, oh well, if they dont like it tough. Thats where things get tough. Its real hard to keep everyone happy. So, I will shut up now and appoligize for hyjacking the thread. I am thankfull for our forum pastor and all that he does and I have all the faith in the world that he will make this new forum a great place to visit.
  11. ampaterry

Nebuchadnezzar, the king of Babylon, came against Judah and conquered it. Most Jews fled to Egypt, but a small number remained, and Nebuchadnezzar appointed a leader over them named Gedaliah. The story is recorded in Jeremiah and 2 Kings. Lets read the last part of the narrative:

2 Kings 25:24-26 (KJV);
    “And Gedaliah sware to them, and to their men, and said unto them, Fear not to be the servants of the Chaldees: dwell in the land, and serve the king of Babylon; and it shall be well with you. But it came to pass in the seventh month, that Ishmael the son of Nethaniah, the son of Elishama, of the seed royal, came, and ten men with him, and smote Gedaliah, that he died, and the Jews and the Chaldees that were with him at Mizpah. And all the people, both small and great, and the captains of the armies, arose, and came to Egypt: for they were afraid of the Chaldees.”

And thus the last of the Jews departed from their Holy Land, not to return until seventy years later. For this reason, the Fast of Gedaliah was instituted to commemorate this assassination and exile. The actual date is a few days earlier, but it is forbidden to fast during a celebration so it was delayed until after Rosh Hashana.
    The fast began yesterday at sundown, and lasts through sundown today.

There is a lesson in this story to us, right now in the 21st century. The people were unhappy with Gedaliah, suspecting him due to his association with the Babylonian rulers of their land. They took action without thought to the consequences; they killed him and only afterward realized they had just forced themselves into exile.

We dearly love to gripe and complain about our leadership.
    They are either too liberal or too conservative.
    They are Communist or they are Marxist.
    They cater to the rich or they expand the welfare rolls.
    But we must always keep our wits about us; there is a way to deal with bad leadership, and it is the way of the soap box and the ballot box, not the cartridge box.

God bless you guys, and Good Fast to our Jewish brothers and sisters.
  12. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

AMEN! Thanks again Terry.
  13. cutter

cutter New Member

Amen Brother! I just hope and pray some crazy doesn't do something stupid right now. We are being goated to do bad things and we have to be able to keep our minds strong. Prayer helps with this, our prayers will be answered in a little over a year! Best to all and God Bless!!
  14. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

If that were to happen it would not be from the legal gun holders but some disenchanted liberal who could not stand to see his misbegotten ideas shattered.
  15. lonewolf204

Amen, Thanks Terry
  16. ampaterry

Today is Child Health Day. This day, first proclaimed by president Calvin Cooledge in 1928, was observed on May 1st until 1960, when it was moved to the first Monday in October.

In researching around a bit, I find that the most significant health issue with our children today is being overweight.

Let's think about that.
    When I was in grade school, almost no kid was overweight. We made a trip to town to shop about once every other week or so, and those trips usually included a stop at Hoferts market for an ice cream cone. Sometimes, if we had the money, we would also get a penny candy or two while there. That's it – about twice a month.
    There was no such thing as “fast food” back then.

And the school bus? It made specific stops – the closest one to our house was about half way to school, so we could walk to the bus stop and ride the rest of the way, or we could ride our bikes all the way to school. I never rode the bus once in my twelve years of public education. Today, if you get behind a school bus prepare for a slow trip, because they stop at each driveway now.

School lunches? Lets look at this weeks menu for our local school: pizza, tater tots, pizza, chicken nuggets, fries, pizza, hot dog, potato chips.
    So, first we remove the exercise of walking to or from school, then we feed them fried foods every day for lunch. Why are they overweight?

What other wonderful things do we do for our kids health? I just saw a special report about the public play areas, like the one at McDonalds. Germ ridden, and should be avoided! When we were kids, I could tell you what the dirt tasted like in the field, woods, and creek. We were grubby from head to foot, and developed something besides muscles from it; we developed an immune system!
    So today, do something for your childrens health. Let them walk, eat healthy food and get filthy dirty. All three are good for them!

Psalm 127:3 (KJV);
    Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.

God bless you, guys!
  17. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

You are correct on all fronts. Back in the late 50's and early 60's when I was growing up, I was one of the heavier kids. Looking back at pictures now I would be considered stout but not fat by any stretch. You are also correct in that one of the first "fast food" restaurants I had ever seen was called Carroll's and I was in High School when it opened.

I also believe there is a direct correlation between the type of food easily available and weight problems. Thanks again Terry for daily inspirations.
  18. lonewolf204

Absolutely correct as usual! Amen, Thanks Terry
  19. ampaterry

What is it with the word "adult"?
    There is adultery, which no one over 21 wants to be associated with.
    There is adulterated, which means polluted and impure.
    As if this weren't enough, there are all those sleazy movies being made that are called "adult", or "mature", when in reality they are designed to attract only the most juvenile of customers.
    Why doesn't this bother us? People get offended for ANY kind of insult, real or imagined, for being stereo-typed in any way, for ANY association wrongly made between them and something distasteful, and yet here we are as adults, not saying a thing about what is being called "adult" entertainment. All of us adults ought to be ticked off that the word "adult" has come to be used in this manner.
    Let them find some other name for this garbage, something more honest.
    How about "Garbage"?

The Word of God tells us that we should not follow the world:
    Romans 12:2 (KJV);
    "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."

And it tells us that we should grow up, and cease acting like children:
    1 Corinthians 13:11 (KJV);
    "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things."

Finally, it tells us that these times we are in were foreseen and recorded two thousand years ago:
    2 Timothy 3:1-2 (KJV);
    "This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come. For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,"

Isn't that the unadulterated truth?

God bless you, guys!
  20. lonewolf204

Amen, Thanks Terry!