Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Re: Chaplains Corner

Richard R Hattersley

got me into language studies and science , especially old sciences and lost sciences

Thank You Sir ! i never met the guy , he was a teacher on School of the Air here in Australia
  2. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Thank you Lord for all the blessing I have received.

Thank you Miss. Bonham and Miss Lemly. And special thank you to that elementary teacher to thousands but a special teacher and great mother to me.

Todd
  3. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Well Terry I guess I will be the first to ask for your prayers, seeing that you are the new Forum Chaplain.

Tomorrow AM, I am going to have an Arthroscopy on my right knee, and need all the prayers that are out there. It has always made me a little nervous to go under for something like this. I really don't see why they can't use a local. But !!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh Well, it is what it is.

Thanks in advance for your service.
  4. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Heavenly Father, we come before you this morning upholding Carl. He has been suffering knee problems, Lord, and is going to have surgery tomorrow to correct this. Lord, we know that all healing comes from you, regardless of what tools you may choose to use to bring it to us. We ask that you would be with each of those tools tomorrow. We ask that the surgeon and every medical person working on this would have your sure guidance, that everything they do would be exactly correct.
    We ask that the surgery would go perfectly.
    We ask that the recovery would be quick.
    We ask that there would be no complications, side effects, or set-backs.
    We ask that Carl's healing would be complete and without complications, and that he would be pain free following this.
    And we ask all of these things in the name of Jesus the Christ, the Great Physician.
    Amen -
  5. ampaterry

You MIGHT be glad they put you under, Carl.

I had a couple of melanoma's removed from my nose a couple years ago, and they did it using a local and a 'twilight' anasthetic which kept me awake and happy.
    I was listening to the chatter in the operating room as the surgery progressed when, after some period of silence, the Dr. leaned back from working on me and said "Oh, Crap!"
    I said "Doc, of all the things I don't want to hear you say right now, 'Oh Crap' is somewhere near the top of the list!"
    Everyone in the room started laughing.
    The Dr. said "I have been working with my head in the same position for some time now, and my neck just twinged. What I said was 'Ow, CRAMP' not 'Oh Crap!'"

Yes indeedy -
    I will take being knocked OUT for surgery every time!
  6. ampaterry

And the devotional thought for today involve a story I read about a hospital.
    It was a teaching hospital that had discovered that one of its young resident students had a marvelous effect on children. They responded to him with delight. They would do things for him and yield to his ministrations in a way that they wouldn't do for any other person on the staff. The hospital administration wanted to know how he attained this rapport with his patients so they could incorporate it into their teachings, so they assigned a nurse to discover what the secret of this young resident was. It wasn't until the second week when she was on night turn that she found out the secret. It was simply this: Every night on his last round he would kiss, and hug, and tuck in every one of the children. It was in that act of compassion, you see, in that act of sympathy, that he made his contact.
    As Christians, we should be able to relate to this on two levels:
    First, on a physical level, we should be adopting this in our dealings with people. We should openly show our compassion, our sympathy, and our love for our fellow man.
    And on a spiritual level, we should recognize that it is this sympathy, this compassion that we see in Jesus Christ towards us that reaches out to us. It's this about him that brings us to him to accept him more than anything else.
    We see this compassion and love throughout scripture. In the story of the death and resurrection of Lazarus, we find the shortest verse in the Bible. It describes Jesus' reaction to the death of Lazarus:
    John 11:35 (KJV); "Jesus wept."
    The Lord’s compassion is shown in the Old Testament as well:
    Isaiah 63:9 (KJV); "In all their affliction he was afflicted, and the angel of his presence saved them: in his love and in his pity he redeemed them; and he bare them, and carried them all the days of old."
    And in the New Testament:
    Hebrews 4:15 (KJV); "For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin."
    Demonstrate love and compassion for other people today. The world will be improved by this. Accept love and compassion from God today. You will be improved by this.

May God Bless each and everyone here -
  7. Juker

Juker New Member

Thanks, Terry, and amen.

Somehow I missed yesterday's post, so I'd like to thank Mr. West, my high school government teacher. He was one of the last of the old school teachers, well-humored but no-nonsense, well over six feet, crewcut, always wearing a necktie.

One day he stood before us at his lectern and asked if anyone knew what a "square" was. One of the backrow thugs replied, "Queer!" with a snicker. Mr. West said, "I'm going to read you a piece titled 'Will All Squares Please Stand Up?' by Paul Harvey." Then he peered over his glasses at the punk and said softly, "I'm a square. And if you said what I think you said, I'll take you outside and beat the hell out of you, because this job doesn't mean that much to me."

It was a fine moment. After class the kid was almost in tears trying to apologize to Mr. West.

I've tried to find that piece online and failed - I'm going to root through some papers as I believe I have a copy of it somewhere...
  8. ampaterry

Is this it HERE?
  9. Juker

Juker New Member

YES!!!!!!!

I've been tearing through my footlocker and files trying to find it!
  10. ampaterry

Great piece!!
  11. Woodnut

AMEN !

Terry thanks for the prayer. I read it this morning before I left, but was running short of time and did not answer the post. I thank you so much for that. It really made my day go better. I know that the Lord was guiding the surgon's hands today.

Thanks to all the others for their prayers also.
    I got home from the hospital this afternoon about 5. Have not really felt like computer until now. So thought I would give ya'll an update. I made the surgery fine and without incident, so I feel like the prayers helped. I start PT on Friday, and have to do that for no more than 4 weeks. I am going to work at it very hard, so maybe it won't take so long. I am doing fine now, I'm setting in a recliner with leg up and ice on it with my laptop on my lap. I should be able to sit at the PC tomorrow or next day. I don't want to push it.
    Wonderful prayer this morning Terry, looking to tomorrows start of the day.
  12. Juker

Juker New Member

Very glad to hear this news, my brother. Be well and here's to a quick recovery!
  13. ampaterry

We give you the credit for Carl's successful surgery, Lord!
  14. ampaterry

Today is the National Day of Prayer. A day set aside for prayer as a nation was first called for by the Continental Congress in 1775. John Adams called for one on May 9th, 1798. Lincoln called for one on April 30th, 1863, at which time he said "...it is the duty of nations as well as of men, to own their dependence upon the overruling power of God, to confess their sins and transgressions, in humble sorrow, yet with assured hope that genuine repentance will lead to mercy and pardon; and to recognize the sublime truth, announced in the Holy Scriptures and proven by all history, that those nations only are blessed whose God is the Lord." On April 17, 1952, President Harry S. Truman signed a bill proclaiming a National Day of Prayer must be declared by each following president at an appropriate date of his choice. In his 1983 declaration, Ronald Reagan said, "From General Washington's struggle at Valley Forge to the present, this Nation has fervently sought and received divine guidance as it pursued the course of history. This occasion provides our Nation with an opportunity to further recognize the source of our blessings, and to seek His help for the challenges we face today and in the future." In 1988, the law was amended so that the National Day of Prayer would be held on the first Thursday of May.

Presidents Reagan, George H. W. Bush and George W. Bush all hosted special events at the white house on the national day of prayer. President Clinton did not held any such events, and thus far neither has President Obama. Both presidents did, however, issue the annual procalamation of this day, as required by the law which was passed in 1952.

We should pray often:

1 Chronicles 16:11 (KJV); Seek the LORD and his strength, seek his face continually.
    But it is good for us, as a nation, to have one special day on which we can all join together and seek the blessings of God on our nation, and the influence and directing of God for our leaders.

2 Chronicles 7:14 (KJV); If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

May God bless each one of us here, and continue to bless this great nation.
  15. Juker

Juker New Member

Amen, amen.
  16. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

If I may, Terry, I'd like to post this item, adding to your comments above, which caught my eye this morning. I thought the troops might benefit from wearing the "whole armour of God"

Yours in Christ,

Da Ole Judge

Ephesians 6:10-18

The Whole Armor of God

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. 14 Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. 16 In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; 17 and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, 18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, (ESV)
  17. Woodnut

AMEN!!!!

Still in the recliner with laptop, but no pain. I should be up and around by this afternoon, at least that's what I am hoping for. If the pain don't get any worse than it has so far, man this was a piece of cake.
    Thanks everyone for your prayers and thoughts.
  18. ampaterry

I have a Shogun ceremonial sword that was a gift from my TKD instructor many years ago. I take it outside, swing it at imagined forces of evil, and that passage - particularly Vs 17, ALWAYS comes to mind -

GREAT stuff, Marlin - THANK YOU!

Carl - GREAT news!
    God is still in the healing business, it seems - -
  19. ampaterry

Nurses Week begins today and runs through May 12th, the birthday of Florence Nightengale. Today, the first day of Nurses Week, has been designated as Nurses Day. The opinions of nurses very widely, probably depending on what kind of nursing care you have received. Some folks remember the one who had to stab them eight times with a dull needle before they could find a vein to get a blood sample. Others remember the smile, the warm and comforting words, and the complete assurance they felt that they were in excellent hands.
    Confucious said “Man who want pretty nurse must be patient!”
    I can say with perfect assurance that the looks of a nurse mean nothing when you need medical care.
    W.C.Fields said “After two days in the hospital, I took a turn for the nurse!”
    I can say with similar assurance that if your thoughts are on wooing your nurse, you are not very sick.
    Dag Hammarskjold said “Constant attention by a good nurse may be just as important as a major operation by a surgeon.”
    At last, we have a quote that actually fits what nurses are all about. They are highly trained care givers whose purpose is to bring comfort to people who are not in a good mood since they are either sick or injured.
    God speaks condemnation against those who do not bring comfort to the sick:
    Ezekiel 34:4 (KJV); “The diseased have ye not strengthened, neither have ye healed that which was sick, neither have ye bound up that which was broken . . .”
    This condemnation makes it clear that God desires that we strengthen the diseased, heal the sick and bind up that which is broken. This is a very good description of what a nurse does, don't you think?
    If you know any nurses, give them a call today and thank them for the work they do. And even if you do not know any, we can all include nurses in our prayers this day, asking that God bless them for the work they do.

God bless you, guys -
  20. Woodnut

AMEN !

God bless these wonderful nurses, without them, where would the Doctors be? All the experiences I have had with nurses have been good ones. I am sure there are bad ones out there I just have not encountered one. Guess it is because I have lived a fairly healthy life.
    My God bless each one here today.