Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. terryu1

terryu1 Armed Infidel Supporting Member

Re: Chaplains Corner

Never think about it but you are right. Cannot remember the last time I heard of anyone speaking of anothers Virtues. Thanks again Terry.
  2. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

Very well said and a good topic! Thanks, Terry
  3. Colt46

Colt46 New Member

Amen.
  4. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

There is nothing like an "amen" now and then to keep a preacher talking!
    Thank you, guys, for the support!
  5. ampaterry

We live in a time of unprecedented discoveries, many of which tend to make life longer and living more comfortable and enjoyable.

Stem cell research, for instance. I have studied this subject a bit, and have discovered some very surprising things. While all the news stories and hype and crying for more funding concern Embryonic Stem Cell research, there is research going on all over the world using Adult Stem Cells. These stem cells are obtained from OTHER than aborted babies. They can get stem cells from Liposuction waste, from hair follicles, and from nose scrapings! This research has brought about many cures and successful treatments, in spite of the fact that much more money is poured into Embryonic Stem Cell work. The last time I really checked into it, embryonic stem cell work had not brought about a single cure or treatment of any kind to help people with any health issue. I don’t see how any Christian could be in favor of research that required the killing of babies to carry it out. The adult cell work deserves our support.

But with change and progress the inexorable law of change and decay also operates. The stem cell lines being multiplied in the lab seem to loose vitality with time. They seem to reach a point where they produce tumors along with the healthy cell growth in the patients.
    This should not be surprising to those of us that know and understand the law of entropy, brought about by the fall of man in the Garden, when the perfection of the eternal creation was brought to an end by man’s disobedience. It is strange that so few in this world prepare for the inevitable physical decline.

2 Samuel 14:14 (KJV);
    "For we must needs die, and are as water spilled on the ground, which cannot be gathered up again; neither doth God respect any person: yet doth he devise means, that his banished be not expelled from him."

Psalms 49:10 (KJV);
    "For he seeth that wise men die, likewise the fool and the brutish person perish, and leave their wealth to others."

Ecclesiastes 8:8 (KJV);
    "There is no man that hath power over the spirit to retain the spirit; neither hath he power in the day of death: and there is no discharge in that war; neither shall wickedness deliver those that are given to it."

May God bless each and every one of you, guys -
  6. Juker

Juker New Member

AMEN!!
  7. lonewolf204

Amen!
  8. reflex1

reflex1 Active Member

And AMEN!!!
  9. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

And another big AMEN!
    Thanks Terry.
  10. ampaterry

The movie, the Passion of the Christ, brought forth a lot of protest from some Christians who did not think it adhered closely enough to scripture. Others were greatly moved by the film. Personally, I was very impressed with this work, and the few departures from scripture were not the least bit troublesome to me, as they had no effect upon the message whatsoever.

Many years ago, there was a much wider protest among Christians over the rock opera “Jesus Christ Superstar.” MANY Christians were highly opposed to a production which they considered to be highly irreverent, showing events in Christ’s life accompanied by rock songs. Personally, I liked it. Indeed, there were parts that departed from scripture, and some of the songs carried a message contrary to what we know to be true. However, I believe the songs truly reflected what some of the people at the time must have thought about Christ, and therefore should not be troublesome. What I liked MOST about that rock opera was that it brought the message of Jesus Christ to a generation that absolutely would not receive it any other way! Young people that would never DREAM of reading the Bible or listening to the preaching of it gladly absorbed the opera, the movie, and the soundtrack.

I believe the Christians who object to any popularization of the gospel message could learn a lesson from the Oakland, California, police force. They added a new police car to their fleet. The vehicle had the standard logo, lights, and siren, but also included chrome wheels, hydraulic lifts, and a 500-watt sound system. The car was put on the force to help officers build better relationships with inner-city kids. Kids that would NEVER talk to a cop readily struck up a conversation with them when they were driving such a cool set of wheels!

And beyond learning from these three examples, Christians need to turn to scripture and see that Paul applied the same principle to evangelism:
    1 Corinthians 9:22-23:
    "I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some."

We are commanded to get the message out. If we do not do that in a manner that causes it to be HEARD, we are just wasting time.

May God bless you, guys -
  11. cutter

cutter New Member

Amen!! And thank you for getting the word out!! I read your message first thing in the morning!:)
  12. Woodnut

Amen!!
    Thanks Terry.
  13. lonewolf204

Amen!

Thanks
    Terry
  14. ampaterry

Thank you, guys!

The thought for today -

There are two ways to ride a super-heavyweight motorcycle at low speeds. One is brute force; when it starts to lean to the right, you jam your right foot into the ground and kick the bike back up to vertical. The other way is finesse and balance. You keep the bike vertical by very subtle steering corrections which keep it from leaning too far and causing the problem in the first place. And then there are times that neither work, and I have the broken ankle to prove it!

If your wall clock is a bit off time, how do you set it? Do you turn the little wheel that is connected to the inner mechanism, or do you grab hold of the hands and move them to where they belong?

If the power window on your car is open and you want it shut, do you operate the little button on the door, or do you grab the glass and pull up on it?

Leo Tolstoy wrote an essay called 'Why Do Men Stupefy Themselves?' in which he described man as both a spiritual and an animal being. He said that a man could be moved by influencing his animal being or by influencing his spiritual essence. This can be likened to the above; moving the hands of a clock by pushing them into place, or raising a window by gripping the glass, is similar to motivating a person by influencing his animal being. Although it is POSSIBLE to move a person this way, it is far better to move someone, whether yourself or another, by appealing to their spiritual side.
    Just like a heavy motorcycle, a person can be influenced by brute force – but finesse and balance, appeal to reason, is far superior.
    The Word of God tells us:

Job 32:8 (KJV);
    "But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding."

Psalms 51:10 (KJV);
    "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me."

Ecclesiastes 12:7 (KJV);
    "Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it."

I have been guilty at times of failing this test in dealing with people.
    Finesse is far superior, even though brute force can be more personally satisfying - -

May God bless and direct each one of us - -
  15. Woodnut

AMEN!
    Thanks Terry.