Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Python

Python Former Guest

Re: Chaplains Corner

Are these Messianic Jews?
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

They are not.
    The Jewish people believe that during the period from Rosh Hashana (new year) to Yom Kippur, they must make ammends for anyone they have wronged. The last day to rectify things with God is Yom Kippur, today. At the conclusion of their service tonight after sundown, they blow the Shofar, and that signifies the end of God's judgment for the comming year.
    The books are closed, and their names are either written in the book of life or in the book of death.
    The traditional wish is, therefore, may your name be written in the book of life.
  3. Python

Python Former Guest

Sadly, "wishing" doesn't get ones name written in the book of life. But, I can wish them an Easy Fast and pray that the Veil be lifted from their eyes.
  4. ampaterry

This is one of those topics that COULD lead to an argument.
    I believe we are above that here.

MY BELIEF on this is:
    God made a covenant with the Jews.
    He never said he was renigging on that covenant.
    They were His chosen people, and still are.

God made a covenant with the Gentiles through Jesus Christ.
    With this covenant, we became ingrafted into the jewish root, and are therefore ALSO His chosen people.

Christ said:
    John 10:16 (KJV);
    And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

MY BELIEF is that he could have come to the Americas, other places around the world, and made additional covenants with them as well.

And that is just the way I see it; I do not push that opinion, and I will not get heated about it; it just makes the most sense to me.
  5. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Wow Terry thanks for that insite. Untill now i have had my own opinion about the races in different places. I had not considered that. Your opinion really helps work out the one God created all issue i have been having.
  6. ampaterry

I appreciate that feedback, Cycloneman -
    That particular thought of mine is not normally a very popular one among Christians, but to me at least, it fits the evidence.

For today -

On October 9th of 1825, the ship Restauration docked in New York harbor. Aboard this ship was the first organized group if immigrants from Norway to the United States. For that reason, when Lief Erikson Day was proclaimed in 1964, this date was chosed to celebrate it.

Lief Erikson day is the day set aside to honor the first non-American to establish a colony in the new world. While there is some evidence that there might have been visits here prior to Erikson's, there is little doubt that Lief Erikson was the first to establish a colony here. He arrived here in 1002, a full 490 years before Columbus. This is recorded in Nordic sagas and other accounts, and physical evidence has come from archaeological discoveries in Newfoundland.

But the colony had a lot of difficulties. They were in constant battles with the Native Americans, or Skraelings as these Vikings called them. Although the Vikings had steel weapons which were superior to those of the native population and gave them a military advantage, the natives superior numbers, in just a few years, helped to force the colony to wither and die.

The other factor that caused its demise was the cooling climate. When Lief arrived, he named it Vinland because of the wild grapes growing there. But the climate cooled, and increasing arctic ice made it increasingly difficult to maintain trade lines. Greenland was also so named because of the greenery growing there when the Scandinavians arrived.

Luckily, back in those days we had no climatologists to tell everyone that the climate change was being caused by man, so no draconian laws were put in place to reduce the use of cook fires, which surely caused a pollutant that reflected the suns heat away from the earth, causing the cooling. The lack of cooking would have led to various diseases which would probably have caused the human race to join the Dinosaur and Dodo bird in extinction.

And with that thought, the Bible verses for today:

Ecclesiastes 1:9 (KJV);
    The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

Romans 1:22 (KJV);
    Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,

God bless you, guys -
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

too many listening to the BS and pronouncing themselves the wise ones ..
  8. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Amen Terry, and Thanks again.

I agree Jack.
  9. reflex1

reflex1 Active Member

Good thoughts again Terry - but 1825 - typo right?
  10. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

hehehehehhe
  11. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Active Member

Amen, Thanks Terry!
  12. ampaterry

No, the date is correct -
    The exact date that Erikson came here is unknown, so the Norwegians picked the date of the docking of the Restauration in 1825 to celebrate Leif Erikson day on, since they consider that the first emmigration from Norway that succeeded.

An interesting sidenote; The Restauration was a sloop, and docked with 52 passengers - which was far too many for a ship her size, according to US law. The ship was seized, the captain arrested, and a hefty fine was levied against Capt Helland. Five weeks later, president Grover Cleveland pardoned the captain, rescinded the fine, and released the ship.
  13. reflex1

reflex1 Active Member

Uhhhhhhh ok on the date of 1825 - but Grover Cleveland wasn't president in 1830. :)
  14. ampaterry

Correct.
    He was president from 1825 to 1829.

And the actions were taken in his first year of presidency, five WEEKS after the incident.
  15. reflex1

reflex1 Active Member

OK Terry - I misread the weeks thinking it said years - you caught me on that one!