Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Python

Python Former Guest

You can consider it all you want, it will accomplish nothing. The total depravity of man is seen throughout the Bible. Mans heart is "deceitful and desperately wicked" (Jeremiah 17:9), and the thoughts of his heart are "continually evil" (Genesis 6:5), "there is none who does good, no not one (Romans 3:12). You'll just have to go by their record and hope for the best.
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Jack, I have a website dedicated to anti-redcross stuff:
    www.noredcross.homestead.com
    Is there any documentation anywhere about this incident? I would LOVE to add it to that site!

Today, I want to share one of Woodrow Kroll's short radio devotionals he calls "The Bible Minute". He calls this one Mustard Seed Faith, which we have discussed here before:

“In our society we equate "big" with "good."
    “Yes siree, I've got the biggest ranch in Texas!
    “Mommy, Mommy, I got a big part in the school play!
    “Be sure to stop at Astro Burgers. Three pounds of beef in every burger!
    “Jesus says that "good" can come in small sizes. Christ told His disciples in Matthew 17:20, "If you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you." The mustard seed was one of the smallest seeds that people knew about in Jesus' day, but it had the potential to grow into a bush the size of a tree.
    “Maybe today you feel your faith is too small and can't be used by God. That's OK. If you spend time daily in His Word, you'll find your "small faith" will increase dramatically. Read the Bible and build your faith. It has real answers for real life.”

Brother Kroll brings out many truths from scripture, and his devotionals are short enough that almost no one will change the station during them. As a result, people HEAR them, where they would loose interest in anything longer. As a result, he reaches people that are not being reached otherwise. We, especially some long winded preachers, could learn something from this. If you talk so long that people stop listening, you are wasting not only their time, but yours as well.

Back when I was a pig headed atheist (as opposed to my present pig-headed Christian self), it was beyond me to listen to a long sermon. People that preached and preached at me had ZERO effect except to cause me to be irritated with them. Who did I listen to? A word here from a Mormon missionary. A sentence there from my wife. A five minute read of a Chick Tract. And when the bottom dropped out of my life, it was THOSE that I remembered, and Jesus Christ that I turned to.

If you want to be HEARD, keep it short and sweet, or keep it short and hard, but keep it SHORT!

May God bless you, guys -
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

wikileaks 16 involving red cresent , i'll burn the loit to DVD ( 13 DVD's total i think) and send them to you )

and i'm similar i like my "simple faith" ( even though i'm told its too simple by many )

Jesus Died for me , that opened a door for me to get to heaven , IF i choose to accept it , my choice is decide by my actions and sincerity of actions , and not the outcome of actions ( cause i goof and not everything i do is perfect ) but he knows my heart and if i'm doing my goofy best and not scamming , He'll Honour his side .. full stop

but if i think i'll be forgiven and act thinking that .. all bets are off ..

too simple? i think he meant it to be that way
  4. ampaterry

Jack, let me know the cost of this, and THANK YOU!!

For today:

In the novel Presumed Innocent, a prosecuting attorney named Rusty is explaining his approach to the jury when he is in court. He says:
    "This is how I always start:
    'I am the prosecutor.
    'I represent the state. I am here to present to you the evidence of a crime. Together you will weigh the evidence. You will deliberate upon it. You will decide if it proves the defendant's guilt.
    'This man--' and here I point ...
    If you don't have the courage to point ... you can't expect them to have the courage to convict. And so I point. I extend my hand across the courtroom. I hold one finger straight. I seek the defendant's eye. I say:
    'This man has been accused..."

This principle holds true in all of life. People need leaders to galvanize their courage. People need leaders to point, to take a stand, to say what they believe. The problem with America today is that such leaders have a hard time getting elected. Each time they point out the truth, they loose the vote of some little splinter group, and eventually the point is reached where all of these little groups end up costing them the election.

The Word of God speaks of our leadership:
    Romans 13:3-7 (GWT);
    "People who do what is right don't have to be afraid of the government. But people who do what is wrong should be afraid of it. Would you like to live without being afraid of the government? Do what is right, and it will praise you. The government is God's servant working for your good. But if you do what is wrong, you should be afraid. The government has the right to carry out the death sentence. It is God's servant, an avenger to execute God's anger on anyone who does what is wrong. Therefore, it is necessary for you to obey, not only because you're afraid of God's anger but also because of your own conscience.
    That is also why you pay your taxes. People in the government are God's servants while they do the work he has given them. Pay everyone whatever you owe them. If you owe taxes, pay them. If you owe tolls, pay them. If you owe someone respect, respect that person. If you owe someone honor, honor that person."

May God bless each and every one of you -
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

no fee, i get a heap Via you ;) and Thank You for it all
  6. ampaterry

That is very generous of you, Jack, and THANK YOU!!
  7. Python

Python Former Guest

The only time that we are to disobey mans laws are when mans laws contradict the laws of God. God honors His word above His name, and "obedience" above sacrifice.
  8. ampaterry

Right on, Python -
    Render to Caesar that which is Caesars, and to God that which is God's.

And when those two are in conflict, screw Caesar.

Not quite KJV, but the meaning is right I believe -
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

thats how i see it , obedience to the state is one thing , if the state is corrupt and Godless like now ..

amazing how many folks read that as obey the state NO MATTER WHAT ..

its all there, why cant folks see??
  10. Python

Python Former Guest

A lot of people see only what they want to see.
  11. ampaterry

Good morning, Guys!
    A different perspective this morning, partly taken from Marriage Matters by Keith Krell.

Directly or indirectly, subtly or not so subtly, we have the conviction that singles are unfinished business. We say in groups and in private conversations, "Aren't you married yet?"
    "What's a nice girl like you doing unmarried?"
    "What you need is a good wife."
    "Found anybody to date yet?"
    "I'm praying the Lord will lead you to a good guy."
    "It's too bad he's not married."
    Parents say that; relatives say that. Every family get-together brings comments like those. Books and articles are written from a Christian viewpoint that say, "If you will only commit your life to Christ, God will give you a marriage partner." Christ didn’t say that. He said he will lead you to a life of meaning and purpose and fulfillment. He never said he would give you marriage.
    We need to accept the legitimacy of singleness. Simple mathematics says there are more women than men in this world, and there always will be. We need to accept it because there are some people whose circumstances involve singleness, and they have no opportunity to change. Others prefer not to change. We need to accept the legitimacy of singleness primarily because the Bible does. If we do not know that, we have not read the Bible as carefully as we should have.

Paul wrote to the Corinthians:
    1 Corinthians 7:1-2 (KJV);
    "Now concerning the things whereof ye wrote unto me: It is good for a man not to touch a woman. Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband."

I Corinthians 7:6-8 (KJV);
    "But I speak this by permission, and not of commandment. For I would that all men were even as I myself. But every man hath his proper gift of God, one after this manner, and another after that. I say therefore to the unmarried and widows, It is good for them if they abide even as I."

I Corinthians 7:27 (GWT);
    "Do you have a wife? Don't seek a divorce. Are you divorced from your wife? Don't look for another one."

May God bless you in whatever state you are in, guys -
  12. Python

Python Former Guest

Yep, sometimes better to have loved and lost, far better! :D
  13. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

There are quite a few jobs that GOD has for people that requires them to remain single and unattached.
  14. Python

Python Former Guest

Such as?
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

some folks are great soldiers , till they have kids , that i've seen a few times , folks think too much sometimes and that can get you hurt ..

do your stuff and retire to a cushy posting and have a mob is best for some thats for sure , must be other cases too out there , my experience is limited ..
  16. ampaterry

Yesterday, I spoke of the fact that marriage is simply not for everyone on this planet, nor even for all Christians. The majority, however, do find the marriage partnership to be a wonderful relationship.
    I read a story about a young woman named Julie who met a young man, Mark, while they were working on a ranch in Colorado. After Julie came home, Mark decided to pursue the relationship and came to visit her. They went to her church together, and the pastor, while greeting visitors from the pulpit, welcomed the young man as "Julie's future husband, Mark."
    Embarrassed, Julie leaned over and whispered, "I'm sorry, Mark."
    Mark whispered back, "Why?"
    She replied, "Because, you've never asked me to marry you."
    He said, "Will you?"
    She said, "Yes," and they were engaged.
    They were married in that same church.
    Now, the question is - did the minister make a mistake, and it only turned out to be true due to pure chance? Or was the pastor prompted by the Holy Spirit to introduce Mark this way, to give impetus to the marriage? Or, did the Pastor, through a Word of Wisdom, KNOW that Julie and Mark were going to get married?

In my case, there is no doubt whatsoever in my mind that my marriage to Judy is what God had planned all along. Without her, I would have been of no use to him whatsoever.

The Word of God speaks of marriage frequently:
    Genesis 2:24 (GWT);
    "That is why a man will leave his father and mother and will be united with his wife, and they will become one flesh."

Mark 10:9 (KJV);
    "What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder."

Hebrews 13:4 (NCV);
    "Marriage should be honored by everyone, and husband and wife should keep their marriage pure. God will judge as guilty those who take part in sexual sins."

And again, may God richly bless each one of you in whatever state you are in.
  17. ampaterry

Today is Epiphany. Originally, this holiday was celebrated January 6th, but it has been moved to Sunday in the US so the date is not fixed.

Epiphany is the celebration of the revelation of Jesus Christ to the gentiles. It has been tied to the Magi seeing Jesus, Jesus' baptism, his first miracle at the Cana wedding, all of which supposedly happened January 6th.

I don't pay much attention to traditions; if I don't find it in scripture, I simply do not attach any Christian importance to it. I doubt the wise men arrived at the stable twelve days after Christ was born. Considering the country they had to go through and the distance they had to travel, I am pretty sure it took longer than just a couple of weeks.
    Add to that the fact that when the king wished to make sure he killed Jesus following his conversation with the wise men, he had all children under 3 years of age killed. If it was only a few days after Jesus birth, he would have no need to kill children up to three years old. In Matthews account of their arrival at the place of Jesus, it says they entered the house. A house is not a stable -

How should we celebrate this holiday in keeping with scripture? Read Romans chapter 11. For clarity, here is GW translation of part of it.
    Romans 11:25-31 (GW);
    Brothers and sisters, I want you to understand this mystery so that you won't become arrogant. The minds of some Israelites have become closed until all of God's non-Jewish people are included. In this way Israel as a whole will be saved, as Scripture says, “The Savior will come from Zion. He will remove godlessness from Jacob. My promise to them will be fulfilled when I take away their sins.” The Good News made the Jewish people enemies because of you. But by God's choice they are loved because of their ancestors. God never changes his mind when he gives gifts or when he calls someone. In the past, you disobeyed God. But now God has been merciful to you because of the disobedience of the Jewish people. In the same way, the Jewish people have also disobeyed so that God may be merciful to them as he was to you.

Today, let us be thankful to God that the Jewish people rejected Christ so that he came to save you – and me. This is the TRUE epiphany! And let us thank God that the Jewish people, his chosen, will be saved as well!

May God bless each one of you -
  18. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks, Terry;
    It reminded me of something I observed a while ago:
    The reason Jeuss was born to live among us was to die on the Cross to take the penalty for our sins on Himself. (With His stripes we are healed.) When He died "the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom," Mark 15:38.
    That curtain was what separated the public area of the temple from the Holy of Holies, and it was very thick, heavy duty material. This area was where the High Priest went to meet with God once a year. It was so sacred that nobody was allowed in except the High priest. A rope was tied around his ankle to drag him out in case of emergency. When Christ died, that curtain was torn from top to bottom.
    This says to me that it was God who tore it--from top to bottom, not man tearing it from bottom to top. The holy of holies was now open to public view and public access. That says to me that God was opening up the way for man to come directly into His presence, eliminating the need for high priests to come between God and man--all men, Jews and Gentiles both.
    Maybe this is more of an Easter note, but Christmas looks forward to Easter.
  19. ampaterry

I agree completely, BlackEagle - that is exactly how I have interpreted the tearing of the curtain as well. We have direct access to God!

For today, I will talk a bit about a second recognition for yesterday: the feast of the Baptism of the Lord. This is the day when the celebration is held in the Catholic Church for the event of Jesus being baptized in the river Jordan by John the Baptist. Once celebrated as part of the Epiphany, the feast was instituted as a separate one by Pope Pious XII in 1955, and the day was established as the first Sunday after January 6th by Pope John Paul VI in 1969.

As protestants, most of us do not celebrate this day with any particular ceremonies, but I believe there is something important for us to recognize here: Jesus Christ set such importance on the ceremony of Baptism that he, God incarnate, subjected himself to it.

Just think about that for a minute.

Try to imagine the necessity for God to walk the aisle in a church. Try to comprehend God confessing Jesus as his savior. Imagine God feeling he really should take Communion. Can you picture God feeling he really should pay his tithe?

Of all the things which we as Christians are supposed to do, there is only this ONE which was of such importance that God himself felt he should subject himself to it. In light of that, what should we do about it? What should OUR attitude be towards baptism?

We should be baptized.

Every one of us, without exception, should follow the example that Jesus set for us and be baptized.

We don't have a baptistry at Bethany Church – we are just a plain and simple church that is VERY old. But we have had many baptism ceremonies! We all gather down on the bank of Yellow Creek, and I take the candidate out in the flowing water of that stream just as John the Baptist did in the river Jordan. I question them on their salvation, then pronounce that I am baptizing them in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit. The candidate is lowered into the water, symbolic of Christ being put into the grave after his crucifixion. Then I raise the candidate from the water, symbolic of Jesus rising from the dead. They do not come out of the water with all desire for sin removed. They do not come out pure and clean. They come out wet. But they come out obedient to what Jesus has told us to do.

May God bless each one of you -
  20. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

Good morning Terry & thanks as always for you thoughts.
    We've been talking recently at our church (Mormon) about Christ's sacrifice & payment for our sins. I think Baptism as he showed us is important & that our willingness to follow him & be obedient is the important thing. I hate getting caught up doing the math on whatever good works we may or may not get done in this life. I think it's more of a willingness & just being as good as we can be. In our church we call it "being anxiously engaged".