Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Pipeman, I pray for a safe trip for you, and will continue to until you tell me to stop.
    Great video!
    Yes, we HAVE noticed the decline in programming. We watch less TV all the time, actually.

Reflex, great verse! Very clear in the CEV, too.

For today:

How many times have you been honored in your life? Most people that are honored even once feel - well - honored! There are some, however, like repeat Oscar winners - that seem to be honored over and over for their achievements.

But how many times can someone be crowned King? Charles of Anjou, King of Hungary, was crowned three times. The first time he was crowned with an emergency crown because the historic crown of St. Stephen was not available. Some people said the value of the crown was the fact that it had been handed down from St. Stephen. Others said this crown was special because it had been consecrated by the pope. So papal envoy Cardinal Gentils consecrated a new bejewelled crown and Charles was crowned a second time. Finally, keepers of the original crown, the crown of St. Stephen, released it and Charles was crowned a third time on August 20, 1310.

There is another king that was crowned three times as well. Jesus Christ. He was crowned once with thorns at Golgotha. He was crowned again at the right hand of God after the ascension. And he was crowned once when you crowned him Lord of your life. "Crown him with many crowns, the Lamb upon his throne." In fact, he has been crowned again each time another believer accepts him as Lord, so he does indeed have 'many crowns'!

The Word of God tells us:
    John 19:1-3 (KJV);
    "Then Pilate therefore took Jesus, and scourged him. And the soldiers platted a crown of thorns, and put it on his head, and they put on him a purple robe, And said, Hail, King of the Jews! and they smote him with their hands."
    Acts 5:30-31 (KJV);
    "The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree. Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins."
    Colossians 3:1 (KJV);
    "If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God."

May God bless each one of you, guys.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Cheers Terry , makes me think of this old scroll

On bended knee I come, With a humble heart I come;
    Bowing down before Your Holy Throne.
    Lifting holy hands to You, As I pledge my love a new,
    I worship You in spirit, - I worship you in truth;
    Make my life a holy praise unto You.

Lord of Lords, King of Kings

( theres a lot more but honestly i aint too sure of it all , heck it must be 20 years since i've sung that in any church.. pity .. )
  3. ampaterry

I have not heard that one, Jack, but I like it!

For today:

This devotional is dedicated to my better half, Judy. Judy is more familiar with the definition of ‘tact’ than any person I know, because her grandmother made her look it up so many times!

Perhaps you heard the story about the man with delicate sensibilities, Mr. Myrick. He had to go to Chicago on business and persuaded his brother to take care of his cat during his absence. Though he hated cats, the brother agreed – just because that is what brothers do. Upon his return, Myrick called from the airport to check on the cat.

"Your cat died," the brother reported, then hung up.

Myrick was inconsolable. His grief was magnified by his brother's insensitivity, so he called again to express his pain. "There was no need for you to be so blunt," he said.

"What was I supposed to say?" asked the perplexed brother. “The cat is dead!”

"You could have broken the news gradually," explained Myrick. "You could have said, 'The cat is on the roof and can’t get down.' Then, later in the conversation, you could have said, 'He fell off.' Then you could have said, 'He broke his leg.' Then when I came to pick him up, you could have said, 'I'm so sorry. You're cat passed away during the night.' You've got to learn to be more tactful.
    "By the way, how's Mom?"

After a long pause, the brother replied, "She's on the roof and can’t get down."

The Word of God tells us to use soft and gentle language:
    Ephesians 4:15 (KJV);
    "But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:"
    Proverbs 15:1(KJV);
    "A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger."
    Proverbs 25:15(NCV);
    "With patience you can convince a ruler, and a gentle word can get through to the hard-headed."

But if you want it hard, blunt, and true – ask Judy.

May God bless you, guys -
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

5. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks for that, Terry;
    I try to think once, twice, three times before I speak, or reply to a topic on a forum...what will the effect of my words be. I always want my input to be constructive, not reactive or destructive. My attitude is something like, "God, please keep a watch over my mouth and don't let me say something that would be harmful or hurtful or that I would regret later." There are times I have to say something to correct someone, and I try to make those comments in a spirit of love and helpfulness.

Unfortunately I don't always succeed. :eek:
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Great advice, Terry. Wouldn't it be a much nicer world is all heeded that advice????? :)
  7. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

really good one Terry that really strikes home. One of my many faults has been brutal honesty. I try not to offend people, but lying is not in my makeup. Thanks for reminding me that my honesty still needs work. It reminds me of when I became a single dad and I was instructed by my daughter about answering her question about her looks. I was told the right answer was that no matter what she was wearing it looked great. I told her that I can not lie to her if what she is wearing looks really bad. Wrong answer.

Thanks for your prayers again guys, Phoenix is a learning experience and I should be working by next week. I have had a few chances to witness to people and have run into some friends from Vegas.
  8. ampaterry

Guys, I REALLY appreciate all that support for these daily devotionals. I am very happy they are of some value to you!

For today:

I am in many debates with people on the topic of Creation vs Evolution. One common topic concerns their belief that questioning Evolution in the public schools is introducing religion into the school system. I know that is not true, and you know that is not true, but it is their contention that if you are NOT a True Believer in Darwinism, you are a religious person. They will go to any length to keep any mention of anything even HINTING at religious belief out of public life entirely, even to the point of banning things that are NOT religious. I know we do not want the government to promote a particular denomination, nor to move against any denomination, but at the same time we must have some basic moral instruction for the sake of our nations future. We must have an acknowledgment of God in a non-denominational way in order to expose our children to what is important and true.

Leo Tolstoy wrote in Confessions; "My break with faith occurred in me as it did and still does among people of our social and cultural type. As I see it, in most cases, it happens like this: People live as everyone lives, but they all live according to principles that not only have nothing to do with the teachings of faith, but for the most part, are contrary to them. The teachings of faith have no place in life and never come to play in the relations among people; they simply play no role in living life itself. The teachings of faith are left to some other realm, separated from life and independent of it. If one should encounter them, then it is only as some superficial phenomenon that has no connection with life."

The Word of God tells us that real religion is not denominations and doctrine, but goes far beyond these:
    James 1:26-27 (KJV);
    "If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain. Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world."

There is unfortunately truth in that old expression credited to the hypocrite:
    "Do as I say, not as I do."

We need to be striving toward "Do as I do"

May God bless each and every one of you in your daily struggle toward that goal -
  9. Juker

Juker New Member

Amen, Terry.

The verse I pray before teaching my Sunday School class is Psalm 19:14:

"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in Thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer."
  10. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Truly evolutionists are men (and women)of great faith.
  11. ampaterry

ROMT, our family Dr. says they require more faith than Creationists!
  12. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Absolutely.

One thing the evolutionists can't explain; if life evolves from one species to another, why isn't there an infinite number of examples of the mutations? For example if a zebra evolves into an elephant, there should be numerous examples of zebras becoming more elephant like in varying degrees.

I do believe in a type of evolution within a species over time. Probably a better word would be adaptation. But I would stake my life on the fact that man did not start out as an amoeba.

Occasionally you will meet someone you could swear descended from an ape or maybe a jackass, but that's a whole other subject.
  13. ampaterry

EXCELLENT preparation, Juker!!

Indeed, ROMT, every farmer, rancher, gardener, breeder, is familiar with evolution WITHIN a species, and I also tend to call it 'adaptation' in it's natural state, or 'selective breeding' in the artificial state.

Yup. Met a lot of folks that make it hard NOT to believe they came from monkeys - -
  14. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

When I run into evolutionists I tell them my Stew, Goo, and You theory. If they are right we all started from a primordial stew, then there was a random goo, and now there is you. Most evolutionists don't like it put that way. I always thought Darwinism was still an unproven theory not a fact. Yet almost all public schools preach it as a fact. If our educators cannot distinguish between theory and fact, how can they educate?
  15. ampaterry

Pipeman, that is what I call the old "bait and switch" routine.
    First, they say "evolution" is a fact.
    Well, in ONE definition, "evolution" just means change over time.
    Any FOOL knows that living things DO change over time, so using THAT definition, "evolution" is indeed a FACT.
    Then there are half a dozen or so THEORIES of evolution, that propose how this change comes about. Darwinism, Punctuated Equalibrium, Steady-state, hopeful monster, etc.

Then there is something else altogether that is properly called "common descent" that is loosely and commonly called "evolution". This is not a fact, nor a theory, but is a mere hypothesis. THIS is the one that claims Stew, Goo and You!!

Now, the evolutionists, always wanting to reach beyond their grasp, have got the public used to thinking that "evolution" means common descent. Then they procalim that "evolution" is a fact, and NEVER HINT that they are talking about two entirely different definitions of "evolution."

Bait-and-switch.
    Subterfuge.
    Lying scum.

pick the term you like for this practice.
  16. ampaterry

For today, I have adapted one from a story told in Illustrations Unlimited by James S. Hewett.

An old television circus show once featured a Bengal tiger act. Like most TV shows of that era, it was done live before an audience. One evening, the tiger trainer went into the cage with several tigers to do a routine performance. The door was locked behind him. The spotlights highlighted the cage, the television cameras moved in close, and the audience watched in suspense as the trainer skillfully put the tigers through their paces.

In the middle of the performance, the worst possible fate befell the act: the lights went out! For twenty or thirty long, dark seconds the trainer was locked in with the tigers. In the darkness they could, with their more acute vision, see him, but he could not see them. A whip and a small kitchen chair seemed meager protection under the circumstances, but he survived, and when the lights came on, he calmly finished the performance.

In an interview afterward, he was asked how he felt knowing that the tigers could see him but that he could not see them. He first admitted the chilling fear of the situation, but pointed out that the tigers did not know that he could not see them. He said, "I just kept cracking my whip and talking to them until the lights came on. And they never knew I could not see them as well as they could see me."

This experience gives us a picture of human life. At some point in our lives, all of us face the terrifying task of fighting tigers in the dark. Some face it constantly. What we must remember at such times is that God is with us; we need never allow the enemy to think we believe otherwise.

The Word of God tells us this:
    Genesis 28:15 (KJV);
    "And, behold, I am with thee, and will keep thee in all places whither thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land; for I will not leave thee, until I have done that which I have spoken to thee of."

Isaiah 43:2 & part of 3 (KJV);
    "When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee: when thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee. For I am the LORD thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Saviour:"

Face your tigers with boldness, guys, and never let 'em know how close to filling your drawers you might really be.
  17. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i'm working on my own idea, i hope the Good Lord is leading me into the right direction, but no matter , what i think and what i know are two very different things , but getting closer as time goes by

cheers to you Terry
  18. Krogen

Krogen Member

Thanks for that one, Terry! Your way with words reminds me of Pastor Nordsletten, my Pastor as I was growing up. He was a down-to-earth Norwegian who spoke his mind in the language of his flock. You're a teacher in the very same way that he was. Thanks.
  19. ampaterry

We all struggle with that gap, Jack, between positive and maybe -

Welcome to TFF, Krogen -
    I think everyone has been in that state sometime or other - why sugar coat it?
    LOL!!

Thank you for your support, guys -

For today, something along the lines of that gap Jack speaks of, and how to breach it -

Many of us older folks remember Ice Houses. Judy remembers them in Minnesota, where she grew up - and I can remember some folks having them in Illinois as well. In the winter, men would go out on the frozen lakes or rivers and use hand saws to cut big blocks of ice from the surface. These were then hauled into the ice houses, which had thick walls, no windows, and a tightly fitted door. Here, the ice was placed on a layer of sawdust, and covered with another layer. When the weather warmed up, these houses were used as refrigerators, and would last until winter came again. Like the pot bellied stove folks used to sit around at the general store, the ice house is just another piece of American culture that has been replaced by modern technology.

I read a story about a man who lost a valuable watch while working in an ice house. He searched diligently for it, carefully raking through the sawdust, but couldn't find it. The other men working the ice also looked, but their efforts, too, proved futile.

A small boy who heard about the fruitless search slipped into the ice house during the noon hour and soon emerged with the watch. Amazed, the men asked him how he found it.
    "I closed the door," the boy replied, "lay down in the sawdust, and kept very still. Soon I heard the watch ticking."

Often the question is not whether God is speaking, but whether we are being still enough, and quiet enough, to hear.

The Word of God tells us about listening to the voice of God:
    1 Kings 19:12 (KJV);
    "And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice."

Proverbs 8:34 (KJV);
    "Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors."

James 1:19 (KJV);
    "Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath:"

May God bless you, guys, and help to quiet your heart and mind as you listen for him - -
  20. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Spot on, Terry.
    This reminds me of what the last verses of Psalm 46, and Psalm 61 say.