Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Old Amish proverb: We are too soon old and too late smart.

Proverbs frequently talks about learning from other's lives--the mistakes of fools and the successes of the righteous.

Thanks again, Terry. Oh, I did see the planets the other night; it was overcast last night. Will have to watch again for them.
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

We have been cloud covered since also - did not get to see the closest passage on Thursday.

I see where the State Department has issued an advisory for us to be on the lookout for terrorist attacks here in the US.

Some Korans were defaced by prisoners - Muslim prisoners - in an attempt to communicate clandestinely.
    They were burned. What the heck are we SUPPOSED to do with defaced Korans?
    Anyway, this caused a Muslim backlash, and they killed some of our troops.
    Stemming from that, apparently, a troop(s) went rogue and killed some Muslims.
    Now they are planning more retaliation against us.
    And it all stemmed from THEM defacing THEIR holy book!

Worry about terrorism has become a reality for us here in the US. Once a problem only in other countries, terrorism is now a problem virtually world wide. To help us with this, remember one of Luther’s finest hymns; “A Might Fortress Is Our God”. Its majestic and thunderous proclamation of our faith is the very essence of faith, and filled with the fervor and flavor of patriotism which he found in Psalm 46:
    Psalms 46:1-11 (KJV);
    God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble. Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea; Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah
    There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High. God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early. The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted. The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.
    Come, behold the works of the LORD, what desolations he hath made in the earth. He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire. Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth. The LORD of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

In the fourteenth century when Sergius the hermit was leading his countrymen, and Tartar hordes were overrunning his land, this Psalm was a source of strength and courage. Over and over, the godly hermit recited this psalm and then led his revived men in a charge that drove the invaders back and brought ultimate victory. Throughout the ages men have been stirred by the realization that the Eternal God is available to them and that nothing, literally nothing, can overwhelm or destroy a man when he lives according to his faith.
    Such faith will bring us victory today as well.

May God bless you, guys, and keep us all safe -
  3. BlackEagle

Can't go wrong with the theology of the Psalms. It's God's Word. There is a prositised version of that Psalm set to the tune Ein Feste Burg. Thanks again, Terry.
  4. Krogen

Krogen Member

Terry, thank you for posting that one! These days when I get wound up, stressed out and all, passages such as these bring me right back to reality.
  5. ampaterry

Today is St. Patrick's Day. Anyone of Irish descent will wear green today. Anyone with a even a hint of Irish blood will also wear green. Anyone with a taste for partying will probably claim they are of Irish descent for this day, at least, so they can take part in the festive nature of the day.

I see nothing wrong with this, provided the partying does not get out of hand. Back when I was a drinking man, “Green beer” meant the batch had not turned out very well, and had a sort of skunky taste to it. Carlings Black Label was noted for this; it was a very good beer, my favorite in fact, but every now and then you would open a bottle and take a sip, and recoil from the taste of it. Depending on how broke I was, I would either drink it anyway or pour it out and open another. But today, everyone will want a “green beer”, beer that has been died green in keeping with the Irish nature of the day.

But what is all this celebration about? It is about Patrick, the Apostle of Ireland. Legend has it that St. Patrick drove the snakes out of Ireland, but he did not do that; he did something much more beneficial for the Irish.

Patrick was born in Dumbarton, Scotland, in 387 to Calphurnius and Conchessa. Calphurnius was of high rank in the Roman government, while Conchessa was a close relative of St. Martin of Tours. When Patrick was 16, he was taken captive by Irish marauders and sold as a slave in what is now Antrim, Ireland. He served there for six years, learning the Celtic tongue and the inner workings of Druidism from his master who was a High Priest in that cult. Acting on the warning of an Angelic visitor, he fled his cruel master and returned to Britain, but his heart was turned to God's service, and after a time studying in the monastery in Tours, he was made a priest and later entrusted with evangelizing the Irish by Pope St. Celestine I, which he spent the rest of his life doing.

The end of the Druids came when the Arch Druid Lochru, with demon empowerment, raised himself high above the ground as a demonstration of his power. Patrick knelt in prayer, and the Druid dropped from the sky onto a rock, which killed him.

And what about the snakes? It seems the Druids worshiped a snake deity of some kind - - -
    Like I keep saying, guys, most legends have SOME basis in fact -

May God bless and keep each one of ye today, eh?
  6. ampaterry

Today is the fourth Sunday of Lent, called Laetare Sunday in the Catholic and some other Christian churches. According to the Catholic Encyclopedia, the name comes from the first words of the Introit at Mass, "Laetare Jerusalem " -- "Rejoice, O Jerusalem ".

The day is also known as Mothering Sunday (also the old English name for Mothers Day), Refreshment Sunday, Mid-Lent Sunday (in French mi-carême), and Rose Sunday (because the golden rose sent by the popes to Catholic sovereigns used to be blessed at this time), and “The Sunday of the Five Loaves” from the story of the miracle of the loaves and fishes which was read at this time in the older Lectionary series.

This day is a day of relaxation from normal lenten rigors; a day of hope with Easter being at last within sight. Traditionally, even weddings (otherwise banned during Lent) could be performed on this day.

This is indeed a day of hope. At this time of year, we are sobered by the approach of Good Friday, when we memorialize with horror the torture and death of Jesus Christ our Lord. We read the passages which detail his suffering. Judy and I will put in the DVD of The Passion of The Christ, and once again experience the awful realization that it is we –you and I – that made this suffering necessary.

But the story does not end there -
    Good Friday is followed by Easter Sunday, when the Lord rose in triumph from the tomb where they had laid him. So even now, in the middle of the season which is dedicated to the somber recognition of this, there is a day set aside to remember that what is coming – while horrible to contemplate – is the beginning of something wonderful!
    In the midst of the mourning, Christ appeared:
    Luke 24:36 (KJV);
    And as they thus spake, Jesus himself stood in the midst of them, and saith unto them, Peace be unto you.

So relax a bit today.
    Feel and express hope today.
    Jesus loves every one of you.
    And I love every one of you.
  7. ampaterry

Today, our Catholic friends celebrate the Solemnity of Joseph. Little is known about Joseph, the step-father of Jesus. He was probably a relatively old man when Jesus was born, since he does not appear in the gospels during Jesus' ministry. we do know from the Scriptures that Joseph was a carpenter by trade, and a descendent of the Old Testament King David. We also know that Joseph was betrothed to a virgin named Mary, and when she became pregnant without sexual intercourse with him, he intended to divorce her secretly. When an angel appeared to him in a dream telling him that Mary was pregnant by the Holy Spirit, and that Joseph should take her as his wife and name the child Jesus, Joseph obeyed.

Various legends have grown-up about St. Joseph, and while non-canonical, and historically suspect, they are interesting. One legend suggests that the high-priest Zechariah told Mary that he was instructed in a revelation to bring together marriageable men and have each man leave his staff in the temple overnight. The husband chosen by God would be revealed through a sign. In the morning, Joseph the Carpenter's staff blossomed, while the other suitors' staffs did not. This was a sign that Mary was to marry Joseph.

St. Joseph is a model of humility and holiness, and is a model for fathers everywhere. He cared for the Son of God, despite Jesus not being his own biological Son. His devotion to Mary, despite his suspicions of her infidelity, and his willingness to listen to the angel of God, demonstrate his humility.

St. Joseph is a popular patron saint. He is the patron saint of the universal Church, a happy death, workers, carpenters, expecting mothers, families, and more.

Many traditions and customs have developed around St. Joseph and his feast day. March 19th has been a traditional Italian day to show hospitality. On this day, all who come to the door are invited to dinner. The family table is extended full-length, moved against the wall (like the Church altar), and a statue of St. Joseph surrounded by flowers and candles is made the centerpiece. After the guests have enjoyed the bounteous feast, the guests leave so other guests may enter.

Reading about that makes me wish I were Italian instead of Irish.

May God bless each one of you, guys -
  8. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

Another one that is making me think. Thanks Terry. I wonder if there is something about him in the books and " Gospels " that were not put in the Bible.
  9. ampaterry

Thank you, pipeman -
    There are stories and traditions galore out there, and Joseph is written about in some of them, such as the Protoevangelium of James and the History of Joseph the Carpenter None of them, however, can be accepted as factual.

For today:
    Robert Ripley wrote of the strangest of the bibliophiles; Henri Francois Noel, Count de la Bedoyere of Paris (1821-1861). He was a passionate collector of rare volumes and loved his library with such total devotion that just owning them was not enough.
    To stir up some excitement he sold his entire collection at auction five times—at intervals of five years—between 1837 and 1861. He attended each auction and was careful to outbid all others. In this manner he sold and repurchased the entire contents of his library five times. Since he had to pay an auctioneer's fee of 20 percent each time, five auctions amounted to 100 percent of the value of his collection. But he was always thrilled to bid successfully for a treasured book, even his own.

This is the love that Jesus has for us. He came to die for the sins of the world, but his love is so great that if YOU were the ONLY one to accept him, he still would have performed his sacrifice. He would have died for only one person – he would have died for only YOU. He would give 100% of himself for you alone.

And what is our love toward Jesus? What price do we place upon His Word? Is the price of the Word of God beyond measure to us? It should be.
    We are told in the Word of God:

Proverbs 23:19-23 (KJV);
    Hear thou, my son, and be wise, and guide thine heart in the way. Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh: For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags. Hearken unto thy father that begat thee, and despise not thy mother when she is old. Buy the truth, and sell it not; also wisdom, and instruction, and understanding.

Let us all strive to treasure Christ just a fraction of how much he treasures us -
  10. ampaterry

“Would you buy a used car from this man?”
    Do you remember when that was used in a presidential campaign? That phrase was printed below a picture of the candidate who was being campaigned against. The idea, of course, came from the common belief that Used Car Salesmen are all dishonest.

That is a bit puzzling to me, because I have found some corporate salesmen in several different product lines that are dishonest, while I have found several used car salesmen that were quite honest. I believe salesmen have about the same dishonesty rate as most other professions, with no great difference in those selling used cars.

I believe this idea concerning used car salesmen being dishonest originater many years ago when the Horse was the transportation of the day. Horses were sold by horsetraders, and everyone knew that these guys could not be trusted. Horsetraders acted like Native Americans that were counting coup on their enemies; they took great pride in being able to cheat each other by using many different and very devious methods. Doping the unruly horse to make him docile during the sales presentation was one of the more common ones, but they ranged into very elaborate schemes far beyond that.

Then along came the automobile, and everyone wanted one! They could go faster than a horse, did not get tired, and only required feeding when they were being worked! The country went car-crazy, and who do you suppose became the car salesmen? The guys who knew transportation, of course – the horsetraders! While no longer the rule, this probably is the source of the belief that used car salesmen are all con men.

The Word of God tells us:
    Leviticus 19:11-13 (KJV);
    Ye shall not steal, neither deal falsely, neither lie one to another. And ye shall not swear by my name falsely, neither shalt thou profane the name of thy God: I am the LORD. Thou shalt not defraud thy neighbour, neither rob him: the wages of him that is hired shall not abide with thee all night until the morning.

That is pretty clear – we should not steal, deal falsely, lie or defraud. And then folks won’t compare us to the stereotypical used car salesman.

May God bless each and every one of you -
  11. BlackEagle

Thanks, Terry;
    Yes I did wear green on St. Patrick's day, but then again, I always wear the same green sweatshirt!

Today's makes me thing of Proverbs 11:1
    "A false balance is abomination to the LORD: but a just weight is his delight."
  12. ampaterry

Thank you, BlackEagle!

I want to talk about a couple more salesmen today.

The first one sold GI insurance to new recruits. Corporal Jones was assigned to an induction center where he advised new recruits about their government benefits, including GI insurance. Soon he had a near 100% sales record. His officer was amazed. Rather than ask him how he did it, he stood in the back of the room one day and listened to his sales pitch. Jones explained the basics of GI insurance to the new recruits and then said, "If you have GI insurance, and go into battle and are killed, the government has to pay $35,000 to your beneficiaries. If you don't have GI insurance, and go into battle and are killed, the government has to pay only a maximum of $3,000." He concluded, "Now which bunch do you think they are going to send into battle first?"
    Was he misleading those troops? Perhaps -

Then there is the well known insurance man, Elmer G. Leterman. He gives an interesting glimpse of the empirical approach to salesmanship:

"If I have a thin prospective client who wants life insurance," he said, "I have him examined by a thin doctor. If I have a fat prospective client, I have him examined by a fat doctor. The fat doctors think they're all right, and the thin doctors think they're all right. That's all there is to it."

Was he misleading his customers? Was he misleading the companies he worked for?
    Perhaps. It depends on your faith in the medical profession.

I believe we would be better off to avoid saying anything that could be misconstrued as being dishonest. Paul tells us:
    1 Thessalonians 5:16-22 (KJV);
    “Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. Quench not the Spirit. Despise not prophesyings. Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.”

So far, so good. Now for the next verse:
    “Abstain from all appearance of evil.”
    And that pretty well covers all of that GRAY area activity.

I will not have internet capability for the next eleven days – I will talk to you again on April 3rd!
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

cheers Terry ( enjoy eh you and yours ;) )
  14. BlackEagle

I'll miss the daily commentaries. Have a good "time off". :)
  15. nightwalker

nightwalker New Member

Thanks, Terry, for the work you do here. You do help. May the Lord bless and keep you.
  16. cutter

cutter New Member

I do miss Terry's daily message!! Thanks Terry and look forward to him comming back!!
  17. Double D

Double D Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes, we sure miss our forum pastor when he is away...but, I hope they are enjoying their vacation and they come back rejuvenated and rested!!
  18. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome Back Terry!!!

Now get to posting.
  19. ampaterry

Good morning, guys! We are back, sort of rested, and starting to get back to normal. We had an UNBELIEVABLE time on our Caribbean cruise! We visited St Thomas, where we rode in a small 700 HP power boat around the bay there. Then on to Antigua where we rode horses around the area, including on the beautiful beach. On to Tortola where we had a hair raising safari bus ride all over the mountain terrain there, and finally on to Nassau where we had a very pleasant and quite informative tour at a much more relaxed pace, combined with a nice visit to an endangered species sanctuary. Four days at sea between stops rounded out the eight day cruise with FANTASTIC food -
    I kept up my exercise program, but I still gained 8 pounds, so need to get into serious dieting now -

Judy and I have experienced so many fantastic things in our life together -
    When we lived in Alaska, we loved to explore the wondrous beauty of that state. On one excursion, we sought an old Ghost Town named Fairbanks Creek. We had located it on a map, and we set out to find it. We located the old road, and traveled along it. At one point, we had to drive out onto a glacier to get around a road blockage, and were stopped soon afterward by a creek that swept through where the road had been. At that point, we abandoned the vehicle and head onward on foot. We waded through the water clinging to small sapling trees for support. We climbed up steep hills, and negotiated deep ravines, and after several miles of exertion, we arrived! The town was in very good shape yet, with an old stage coach sitting on the main street that was marked to identify it as a mail delivery vehicle. Inside the houses, there were still clothes and personal effects. One house had the table set in the kitchen, and old dried up food still on the plates. There was a general store, which still had merchandise behind the counter. There was also a nice collection of Mammoth teeth on a shelf there. I picked one up, knowing these were rather valuable, but it weighed a lot - and there was only one way to leave Fairbanks Creek: Turn around, and go all the way back out the same way we had come in. We left without carrying anything of value out with us.

Each of us, by birth, arrives in a town called Sin. As in Fairbanks Creek, there is only one way out--a road built by God himself. But in order to take that road, one must first turn around. That complete about-face is what the bible calls repentance, and without it, there's no way out of town.

This forced reversal is described in the Bible:
    Isaiah 55:7 (KJV);
    "Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon."

And when we turn around and head back on the road to righteousness, we must make the same decision; there is nothing of such value in the place which we turned away from as to be worth the effort of bringing it back with us from there.

May God bless each one of you -
  20. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

GREAT Devotional Terry!