Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Welcome back, Terry;
    So glad to hear of your trip. Sounds like it was great fun.

And thanks for the reminder: repentance is turning around and going back, and I find I have to do that again and again.
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Thank you, guys, for the support you give me here!

For today:

When Sammy Morris, a Kru boy from Africa, came to America to be trained for Christian service, he presented himself for education at Taylor University. He revealed a spirit all too rare among Christians. When the President of the University asked him what room he wanted, Sammy replied, "If there is a room nobody wants, give that to me." Of this incident the President later wrote: "I turned away, for my eyes were full of tears. I was asking myself whether I was willing to take what nobody else wanted. In my experience as a teacher, I have had occasion to assign rooms to more than a thousand students. Most of them were noble, Christian young ladies and gentlemen; but Sammy Morris was the only one of them who ever said, 'If there is a room that nobody wants, give that to me.'”
    How about you, brother? What is your desire, sister? Do you seek the fine things of this world, or are you satisfied with little here, while working toward much in the life to come?

Jesus tells us that all our needs will be met here:
    Matthew 6:31-33 (KJV);
    Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

And Paul wrote the church at Corinth and spoke of the future in glory:
    1 Corinthians 2:9 (KJV);
    But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

God cares for us both here and now, and there and then. With this provider, why do we seek more in this life than this African boy?

May God bless each and every one of you - -
  3. BlackEagle

Thanks, Terry;
    Today's message reminds me of the several times Jesus talked about how the last shall be first and the first last.
    It's good for me to be reminded of that because of some things happening at work just now. I'll need to find the right balance there.
  4. ampaterry

So true, BlackEagle - ALMOST everything in this life is a matter of ballance -

Today is a special day, normally known as Maundy Thursday. Other names used by different churches around the world are Holy Thursday, Covenant Thursday, Great & Holy Thursday, and Thursday of Mysteries. This is a Christian Holy day that falls on the Thursday before Easter, and commemorates the Last Supper of Jesus Christ with the Apostles as described in the Bible. It is the fifth day of Holy Week.

One of the several traditions of this date is the visiting of seven churches today. This is an ancient practice originating in Rome, where early pilgrims visited the seven pilgrim churches as penance. They visited Saint John Lateran, Saint Peter, Saint Mary Major, Saint Paul-outside-the-walls, Holy Cross-in-Jerusalem, and Saint Sebastian Outside the Walls. In the Philippines, they continue this tradition, some even doubling it and visiting fourteen churches today.

I realize that Bethany and many other churches are not in close proximity to six other churches, and many are not open today. So my request to you is a very simple way to handle this with Bethany or with your local church. Don't visit seven or fourteen churches today. Instead, make a commitment to visit your local church for the next fourteen Sundays in a row. Who knows, after three and a half months, you might discover you enjoy it, and are already in the habit of attending!

I will close with the scripture that is the basis of this day:
    Luke 22:13-20 (KJV);
    And they went, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready the passover. And when the hour was come, he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him. And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover with you before I suffer: For I say unto you, I will not any more eat thereof, until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God. And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, Take this, and divide it among yourselves: For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come. And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you: this do in remembrance of me. Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.

Let us NOT lose sight of what this day really means, guys. We are preparing for tomorrow, Good Friday, when Christ paid the price for our sins and looking forward to the empty tomb of Easter Sunday, the day that Christ rose from the grave, conquering death!

May God bless each one of you -
  5. ampaterry

Have you seen the movie, the Passion of the Christ? If you have not, I encourage you to do so. If you do not have a copy of this movie, Amazon has it in DVD for $5.49, and also carries it in Blue Ray and even VHS. I have bought several copies to lend out over the years, but they have all drifted away. This is the best film ever made regarding the price that our Lord paid for you and for me, when he sacrificed himself to satisfy the requirement that sin be balanced with a blood sacrifice. For all of the years from the time that God sacrificed animals to cover the sin of Adam and Eve until Jesus Christ was nailed to the cross, man's sin was covered by the blood of animal sacrifice. Over and over, year after year, people had to sacrifice a living thing to cover their own failures. It was the only way to keep themselves from being the property of Satan.

But God did not want this continued sacrifice. God did not want us to have to go through a priest to contact him. God did not want us to be separate from him. Yet, we have that sin nature which causes us to sin in spite of our best intentions. So God came up with a sacrifice so great, so huge, so inconceivable, that it would be sufficient to cover all the sins of all people for all time. He sent his only Son, Jesus Christ, to be born a human being. He lived among us, was tempted as we are, yet lived a completely sinless life. He was the only one to ever do this. Then, he offered himself as a sacrifice for you, and for me. This sacrifice is the greatest gift of love that the world has ever seen, or ever will see. Do not waste it. Accept it, and the one that gave himself for you.

Hebrews 5:5-9 (KJV);
    “So also Christ glorified not himself to be made an high priest; but he that said unto him, Thou art my Son, to day have I begotten thee. As he saith also in another place, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec. Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared; Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;”

Have a very blessed Good Friday.
  6. 01brian

01brian New Member

7. BlackEagle

Thanks again, Terry.
    Isaiah 53, particularly v5 comes to mind:
    But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

God's blessings on you and all also for a wonderful Easter as we rember in a special way God's great gift to us.

You've heard Tony Campolo's It's Friday, but Sunday's Coming?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcbKWT10z34 (3 minute exerpt)
  8. ampaterry

Today at sundown, our Jewish friends begin the celebration of Passover, which they call Pesech (Pay Sack with a soft K), the Hebrew word for pass over. This holiday is the single most observed day in the Hebrew world, with 80% of the Jewish people attending a special service which includes a meal called a Seder on the first night in Israel, and on the first two nights elsewhere. The holiday period lasts for seven days in Israel, and eight days everywhere else, and is filled with various customs and practices that are rich with tradition.

One of these customs is the cleaning of their homes of all leaven and leaven associated items, called Chametz (Hum it's with a hard H). This is based upon the Jews hurried departure from Egypt following that first passover, when they did not have time to let their bread rise.

The leaven also represents puffiness of the soul, which means they are removing arrogance and pride at this time. They are not merely forbidden from eating leaven, but are forbidden to even own any during Passover, so they must legally get rid of it in some way prior to sundown tonight. One of the ways they do this is to sell it to a gentile; a real legal sale with the proper paperwork. They then have the opportunity to buy it back after Passover.

To make sure they have it all, they go over every crack in the stove, refrigerator, etc., with toothpicks and q-tips to remove every crumb. All surfaces which will contact food will be covered with foil or shelf liner.

At first, we gentiles might smile at all of this and think it to be a very odd waste of time. But think about the symbolic part of it. Think about going over the cracks in your stove with a q-tip, and mentally going after any arrogance and pride which you find in your own heart with a matching thoroughness as you work. All of us, Jew and Christian, Hindu and Shinto, would benefit from such a soul-cleaning.

1 Corinthians 5:6-8 (KJV);
    Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump? Purge out therefore the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump, as ye are unleavened. For even Christ our passover is sacrificed for us: Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, neither with the leaven of malice and wickedness; but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

May God richly bless each one of you -
  9. nightwalker

nightwalker New Member

To me, leaven has always spoken of sin. I agree that we would all do well to examine ourselves closely to get rid of the stuff that seems small to most people's eyes, but we really know better. Thanks, Terry, for taking the time to serve us. May the Lord bless and keep you.
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Nightwalker , +1 from me

I get more from Terry's dailies than my normal churchifyin

i'll add , when i fist started that bloody cancer treatment i moved from Spalding to a veterans home in Hove a suburb ny the beach in Adelaide ( nice spot if ya gotta live in a city )

the garden shop was run by this great jewish guy, he had a lady watch the store for him , Thursday/friday /saterday but the soil and bulk deliveries changed to Friday, so the lady would call me and i'd come down and drive the forklift and unload the what ever ..

i thought it great he paid so much bucks out to attend his faith , helped me out and a few others , i know he'd lost almost everything 10 years or so before i moved there , the bushfires spread to towns , wiped out small main streets in a few towns , so he's moved to the city and started again with nothing , this time as a plant and garden supply ..

there where times of year he got locals to do things he could not ( or i think just unsure even ..) , happy to pay

i say good luck to him .. more folks Christians especially should put more effort into their faith
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  11. nightwalker

nightwalker New Member

Amen! Have a special Easter.
  12. cutter

cutter New Member

Terry,

I also get a lot out of your morning sermons! Thanks so much for what you do!! I hope everyone has a great Easter and remembers why we celebrate!!!:)
    My Lord has risen!!!!
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  13. reflex1

reflex1 Active Member

And another Amen to ya Brother Terry - I'm sure you will have a very special "sermon" for tomorrow and I look forward to it as I do each day - thanks Terry!
  14. Skyking

Skyking New Member

When does Passover begin and how long does it last?

Passover 2012 begins at sundown on Friday, April 6. That is the date according to the Gregorian calendar.

I observed this last eve and it also started the Feast of Unleavened Bread which last for 7 days , Passover is just the flash in the pan ,today is the !st day of Unleavened Bread which is a weekly Sabbath and also a high sabbath
  15. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Sometimes your posts make me question whether or not you really understand anything about Christ and HIS teaching. :rolleyes:
  16. ampaterry

Guys, I thank you for your support here; it means very much to me to know that my efforts are being well received.

Today is Easter.
    We have talked about the mighty miracle of Christ raising Lazarus from the dead. The next day, we spoke of Jesus triumphal entry in Jerusalem, when some of the people that had witnessed that miracle spread the word to others, that this man was something very special indeed. They spread palm fronds before him that day, in honor of his person.
    Then we had the horror of Good Friday, when Jesus died on the cross for the sins of the world. He suffered for us, and he died for us. You and me.
    But today, something singular and special happened. First it is absolutely essential to understand that Jesus did, indeed, die on the cross. The idea that someone would bribe the guards to say otherwise is ludicrous. These were soldiers, and dereliction of their duty carried a death penalty. No amount of money would cause them to lie about this. Jesus died. He was placed in a tomb. And this morning, when the women went to perform the ritual cleansing of his body, they found the tomb empty.

Luke 24:1-9 (KJV);
    Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them. And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre. And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus. And it came to pass, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments: And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead? He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee, Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again. And they remembered his words, And returned from the sepulchre, and told all these things unto the eleven, and to all the rest.

And today, to all the researchers who seek the tomb of Jesus, to those who think they have identified his burial box, I repeat the words of the angels on this first Easter: “Why seek ye the living among the dead?”

May the risen Christ of Easter bless each and every one of you -
  17. ampaterry

My appologies; Yesterday was the first day of passover, but since the Jewish people measure a day from sundown to sundown instead of midnight to midnight as we do, it actually began at sundown Friday for them. For those of us that measure time from midnight to midnight, it began yesterday.
  18. BlackEagle

Amen and thanks.
  19. ampaterry

Today is Easter Monday, the day after Easter Sunday. It should not be surprising that the most important event of the Christian year is celebrated on more than just one day by many Christians.

From a Roman Catholic site, I got this description of this day:

Christians celebrated the days immediately following Easter - the most
    important holy day in the Christian church -by telling jokes, playing pranks, and feasting on lamb. People would add fragrant oil or perfume to the Easter water they brought home from church, and then use this water to sprinkle and bless their food, pets, gardens, and homes.

Easter Monday morning, men would wake their wives with a spritz of the perfumed Easter water as they whispered, "May you never wither."
    On Easter Tuesday, women would return the favor as they awakened their husbands with a bucketful of the scented water!

I don't have a problem with any kind of joyful activity today, because this is a most joyous time. The tomb is EMPTY!! Christ is RISEN!!

Jesus told us what to do after he had risen from the tomb:
    Mark 16:14-20 (KJV);
    Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen. And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God. And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

Whether or not you take part in any Easter Monday traditions, every one of us can open our eyes this morning and say "He Is Risen!"
  20. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

AMEN! This morning and every morning.

I had never heard of this celebration of Easter Monday. Maybe I'm just too much of a stick in the mud, but I have a bit of a problem with any frivolity associated with the celebration of Christ's death, burial, and resurrection. To me it's more of a time for somber, sober, reflection. Of course we rejoice that He is risen, but I just don't associate silliness or "pranking" with the joy I feel. But that's just my opinion. Been wrong before and I'm sure I'll be wrong again.