1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Re: Chaplains Corner

If I may, Terry, I'd like to post this item, adding to your comments above, which caught my eye this morning. I thought the troops might benefit from wearing the "whole armour of God"

Yours in Christ,

Da Ole Judge

Ephesians 6:10-18

The Whole Armor of God

10 Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. 11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. 12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. 13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. 14 Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, 15 and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. 16 In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; 17 and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, 18 praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, (ESV)
  2. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

AMEN!!!!

Still in the recliner with laptop, but no pain. I should be up and around by this afternoon, at least that's what I am hoping for. If the pain don't get any worse than it has so far, man this was a piece of cake.
    Thanks everyone for your prayers and thoughts.
  3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I have a Shogun ceremonial sword that was a gift from my TKD instructor many years ago. I take it outside, swing it at imagined forces of evil, and that passage - particularly Vs 17, ALWAYS comes to mind -

GREAT stuff, Marlin - THANK YOU!

Carl - GREAT news!
    God is still in the healing business, it seems - -
  4. ampaterry

Nurses Week begins today and runs through May 12th, the birthday of Florence Nightengale. Today, the first day of Nurses Week, has been designated as Nurses Day. The opinions of nurses very widely, probably depending on what kind of nursing care you have received. Some folks remember the one who had to stab them eight times with a dull needle before they could find a vein to get a blood sample. Others remember the smile, the warm and comforting words, and the complete assurance they felt that they were in excellent hands.
    Confucious said “Man who want pretty nurse must be patient!”
    I can say with perfect assurance that the looks of a nurse mean nothing when you need medical care.
    W.C.Fields said “After two days in the hospital, I took a turn for the nurse!”
    I can say with similar assurance that if your thoughts are on wooing your nurse, you are not very sick.
    Dag Hammarskjold said “Constant attention by a good nurse may be just as important as a major operation by a surgeon.”
    At last, we have a quote that actually fits what nurses are all about. They are highly trained care givers whose purpose is to bring comfort to people who are not in a good mood since they are either sick or injured.
    God speaks condemnation against those who do not bring comfort to the sick:
    Ezekiel 34:4 (KJV); “The diseased have ye not strengthened, neither have ye healed that which was sick, neither have ye bound up that which was broken . . .”
    This condemnation makes it clear that God desires that we strengthen the diseased, heal the sick and bind up that which is broken. This is a very good description of what a nurse does, don't you think?
    If you know any nurses, give them a call today and thank them for the work they do. And even if you do not know any, we can all include nurses in our prayers this day, asking that God bless them for the work they do.

God bless you, guys -
  5. Woodnut

AMEN !

God bless these wonderful nurses, without them, where would the Doctors be? All the experiences I have had with nurses have been good ones. I am sure there are bad ones out there I just have not encountered one. Guess it is because I have lived a fairly healthy life.
    My God bless each one here today.
  6. ampaterry

When Mike returned home from his first day in kindergarten, his mother asked if he'd had a good day. He replied "I can't read and I can't write and they won't let me talk, so what's the use?"
    So often we are like Mike. We give it a good shot, but if it doesn't work we are ready to drop it and move on to something else. If we were consistent in that attitude, none of us would ever learn how to play a musical instrument, type, drive a car, ride a bicycle, roller skate, swim, dance, or even walk, talk, or run. We have to be open to those lessons that are long and hard as well as to those that are short and easy.
    In some ways, we are supposed to be childlike, such as the instance Jesus speaks of:
    Matthew 18:3 (KJV); "And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven."

But in most things, we should be prepared for a learning experience, including being open to the help of a teacher:
    Acts 8:26-31 (KJV); "And the angel of the Lord spake unto Philip, saying, Arise, and go toward the south unto the way that goeth down from Jerusalem unto Gaza, which is desert. And he arose and went: and, behold, a man of Ethiopia, an eunuch of great authority under Candace queen of the Ethiopians, who had the charge of all her treasure, and had come to Jerusalem for to worship, Was returning, and sitting in his chariot read Esaias the prophet. Then the Spirit said unto Philip, Go near, and join thyself to this chariot. And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest? And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him."

As in so many things, the Christian walks the center path. We must not overanalyze everything, procrastinating until opportunity has passed. On the other hand, we must not be too rash and quick, but spend the time needed to gain the knowledge we need.

May the Lord bless each one here this morning -
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Amen
  8. Woodnut

AMEN !!!

Thanks Terry.
    An update on my knee. It is doing better than anyone expected it would. I had the surgery Wednesday, they took the brace and bandage off yesterday and gave me some exercises to do. But I hardly have a limp. I can't believe it myself. So now I know that there was some divine help with my little episode.
    Give the glory to God, and may God Bless each one of you that have helped me through this.
    Brother, I'v got it made now.
  9. ampaterry

GREAT news, Carl!
    Thank you for the update, and I sure agree; divine intervention!
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Good to hear ! take it easy still eh.. ;)
  11. ampaterry

Today is mothers day, and I am going to exercise the prerogative of the author of these devotionals, and make this one a tribute to my mother.
    Mom was born in 1905. In those days, only the very wealthy could afford to continue their education, the rest needed to go to work to help support the family. My mom went through the 5th grade in school, then did exactly that.
    In spite of this lack of formal education, Mom had one of the finest minds I have ever encountered. I was enrolled in college level science classes while I was in high school, and I hit a snag one night in my math homework in one of these courses. Mom asked me to explain the problem to her, and I did. She asked a couple more questions about it, read part of the textbook, and explained how I needed to work the problem. I worked it that way, and when the homework was graded I discovered she was right.
    Soon after starting school, the federal education system convinced me that God did not exist, and I became an atheist at a very young age. Mom had a deep faith in Jesus Christ, even though she seldom attended church. I would bring this evidence or that problem home to her, hoping to help her shed this 'crutch' of religion. None of it ever fazed her in the least, other than the obvious hurt I caused her by being a non-believer. As I continued to study, around the tenth grade I began to see problems with the idea that science had all the answers, and I started seeking. After more years, God revealed to me the truth of Mom's faith, and did it in such a way that I have never wavered since. I am very glad that this happened while my Mom was alive to see it, because her pleasure at this was obvious. Now, she is in the arms of Jesus, who she loved and worked to be like all those years.
    Thank you, Mom, for all that you did for me.
    And thank you, Lord, for giving me a mother that could put up with my years of idiocy, and for keeping her here long enough to see me recover from it.
    What can you do to please your mother? Strive for righteousness!
    Proverbs 23:24-25 (KJV); The father of the righteous shall greatly rejoice: and he that begetteth a wise child shall have joy of him. Thy father and thy mother shall be glad, and she that bare thee shall rejoice.

May God bless every mother today, and everyone here.
  12. Woodnut

AMEN !

Thanks Terry, and Happy Mother's Day to my Mom who passed in 1999, I know she hears me.
    Happy mothers day to each and every Mom in the World, may it be a blessed day.
  13. ampaterry

Today is Yom HaZikaron, which is Israel's Memorial Day. Today, the nation of Israel honors all fallen IDF soldiers and all victims of terrorism. The Hebrew calendar runs from sundown to sundown, so this observance began yesterday evening at sunset, and runs until sunset this evening. Yesterday at sundown, sirens were sounded in Israel, and the entire country came to a complete stop. Everything. Traffic on the highways stops. Everyone gets out of their vehicle and stands for the full minute the sirens sound, out of respect for their fallen hero's and the victims of the terrorism which Israel has had to endure virtually constantly. All the Jews do this, even those who are not religious. Those that are religious say prayers at that time for the souls of the fallen. At the Western Wall, the official ceremony begins with the lowering of the national flag to half mast.
    Today, at 11:00 AM, a two minute siren is sounded. This marks the beginning of the official ceremonies and private remembrances held in each cemetery where Israeli soldiers are buried. Tonight at sundown, on mount Herzl, the Israeli flag is restored to full mast, marking the end of the ceremonies.
    The IDF is, in my opinion, one of the – if not THE – finest fighting force on this planet. Get a map. Look at Israel. Now look at the countries that surround her, ALL of which want Israel to cease to exist. And all of which have TRIED to eradicate this postage-stamp of a country. Imagine the Civil War that was fought here in the US with ALL states on the North side, and on the south side is only Atlanta. Now imagine that Atlanta WON! That is what it is like with Israel and the entire mid-east that opposes her. What are the odds of that? How in the world could this nation survive in that hostile area? It is due to forces from outside of this world. Israel is the possession of the Jewish people, God's chosen people, and always will be. God promised it to Abraham, and God has never taken that promise back.
    Genesis 13:14-15 (KJV); And the LORD said unto Abram, after that Lot was separated from him, Lift up now thine eyes, and look from the place where thou art northward, and southward, and eastward, and westward: For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever.

May God continue to bless the nation of Israel and all who support her.
    And may God grant that the USA continues to be one of those nations.
  14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

If i may add,

Lord touch the peoples hearts, show them that Israel needs to stand , that it has stood alone between Us and the Evil out there , and it has stood alone for too long.
    Lord we ask this in Your Name
  15. Woodnut

AMEN !!! Terry

AMEN !!! Jack