Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I agree ROMT. It is a time of somber & sober reflextion. Christ took "our" sin upon himself and endured "our" punishment.

But, we can also REJOICE, REJOICE in a LOUD VOICE, lifting PRAISES upon HIM!! For Jesus himself told us NOT to weep & mourn for HIM. He came to die for us; more than his "Resurrection" was because HE loved us so much!

His death "would" have been tragic "IF" he died in vain.

But, it wasn't tragic! Jesus didn't die in vain.
    • Jesus came to die for us!
    • He came to be "resurrected" for us!
    • He came to restore us unto HIMSELF!
    • He came to bring us VICTORY!
    • He's coming again to "CALL" us into HIS Kingdom!

That's why we can rejoice. That's why we can say, "Oh death where is your sting?"

For me "Easter" in not only about Christ's death. Easter is about HIS Resurrection & VICTORY over satan. That's why we can be happy and we can REJOICE and shout praises unto the LORD!

We no longer have to live in sorrow & shame!
    We can boldly lift our eyes unto the LORD and proclaim; "ABBA FATHER!"

• We no longer have to FEAR judgement.
    • We no longer have to be afraid of death.
    • We no longer have to live in defeat & despair.

I say REJOICE in a LOUD voice & PRAISE HIM!!!

He has RISEN!!!

-
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  2. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I like the sign I heard about...it was over the door inside the church, so people saw it as they went out of the church after the service:
    The Mission Field Starts Here

Thanks again, Terry
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree, guys - although Easter is a time of JOY, it is a much deeper and more spiritual joy than that of frivolity.

For today;

In the last few years, I have had little time for leisure reading, but in my younger days I was an avid Science Fiction fan.

There are several themes which are repeated in Science Fiction literature, such as tales of a post-nuclear war earth, and how civilization survives such a catastrophe.

Another involves what I want to talk to you about today. The scene in this theme is the earth of today, or of the near future, in which international tensions are high. Nation is at war with nation, and the horrid specter of a nuclear war on a global scale grows until it seems that nothing can stop it.
    Then come the visitors.
    They are different looking, and from different locations. They have different technology and different weapons. Sometimes they come in open assault, and sometimes they come posing as friends trying to help us, but they are ALWAYS bent on the destruction of the human race. They need our bodies for food, or our organs for research, or they need our planet, or they need our oxygen, or they need our abundant water, and the only way to fill this need is to destroy us. War of the Worlds and Independence Day are two movies that follow this theme.
    The result of this attack is always the same: The people of the world join together to face this threat from the outside. Like bickering brothers who stand shoulder-to-shoulder against the schoolyard bully, the differences between people of our planet disappear as they face a common enemy.

Seeing how different churches fight and bicker between themselves reminds me of these stories. And the solution is the same – we must turn, recognize the common enemy, and realize that the petty differences between Christians are nothing when compared to the differences between us and the God of this world, Satan; our REAL enemy!

Paul tells us of the need for this:
    Galatians 5:14-15 (YLT);
    for all the law in one word is fulfilled--in this: `Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself;' and if one another ye do bite and devour, see--that ye may not by one another be consumed.

May the Lord bless and keep each one of you, and help all Christians UNITE against the one they SHOULD be battling with.
  4. tcox4freedom

Great post Terry-

Divisiveness and dissensions among the ranks in "c-hristianity" always has been a huge problem with "C-hristianity".

Mankind's sinful & prideful nature has reared it's ugly head in "denominational" leadership and "religious" zealots since the very beginning of Christianity. Unfortunately, we can't get away from it and probably never will.

We've even seen people on this very forum that have allowed the "sin of pride" to take control of them. When a christian allows a "haughty" spirit to rise up within them and begins thinking they are more "knowledgeable" about "spiritual" things than everyone else they really become blinded to the "TRUE" things of the SPIRIT.

I think it's so very important today to guard our hearts & minds against the sin of "haughtiness". The Bible tells us we should NOT think of ourselves more highly than we should. We are told to think of others more highly than ourselves.

We are also told to take on the mind of Christ and "humble" ourselves. I think it is VITAL to our growth & survival in the world today; NOT to allow pridefulness to get a foothold in our lives. (esp as we approach the "evil" days ahead)

I personally think as we move closer to "that evil day" we need to grow stronger in "UNITY" and "oneness" in our LORD & Savior. If we continue to nitpick about things irrelevant to Salvation and try to throw ourselves back into the bondage of religious "zealously", we ALLOW the enemy to weaken us and cause us to be less effective as ministers of the Gospel.

-
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  5. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I hate to be the one always disagreeing with the message, and I suppose I should just shut up and go away, in fact I will, but.....the situation is a little more complicated than nit picking other denominations. At the risk of opening up old wounds, it must be said that there are many calling themselves Christian today who believe damnable lies.

Agreed, our Lord hates dissension in His church, but He does not want us to fellowship with or accept the false doctrine of apostate religion simply because they claim His name. Ecumenicalism is nothing more than a ploy to unite all would be believers under one heretical banner, or encourage them to accept a blend of liturgy and doctrine. It's author is Satan.

Certainly the world will applaud ecumenical rhetoric, but the world does not care about your soul. To accept this "I'm OK, you're OK" concept of unity among believers is to abrogate ones responsibility to spread the true gospel to the world and risks the corruption of the tenets of ones own true faith.

Of course the reply to that will be "but whose religion is true?" Only the Bible and the Holy Spirit can answer that question for the individual, but logic will dictate that they can't all be true.

Furthermore, it must be stated that whenever one participates in any venue, where for the sake of political correctness, they may not proclaim the truth, they have again abrogated their responsibility as a Christian. For that reason I will not participate in any more of these discussions.
  6. tcox4freedom

My post is not addressed to anyone specific ROMT. I also agree that a lot of christians are falling for lies. My concern comes from seeing well meaning people introduce dissension & strife out of "legalistic" beliefs.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having difference of opinions between Christians. But, arguing about vain "doctrinal" beliefs that have nothing to do with one's Salvation (by GRACE) does little to further the cause of Christ.

I think the "Essentials of FAITH" should be our primary focus to a lost world. Then has people are discipled and begin to grow in their faith, they can learn about the "NON-essentials" that may help them find the place within the "BODY" to which they have been called.

The EPC denomination has a code of ethics to which all members are encouraged to adhere:
    1. In the "Essentials of Faith" we are to have UNITY.
    2. In the "Non-essentials" we are to show GRACE.
    3. BUT! In all thing we are to show CHARITY!

I just think some people try to misuse scripture (or misunderstand scripture) when it comes to the NON-essentials of Salvation.

IMHO; If you are a hand, be the BEST hand you can be. Don't worry about the leg. (Just point the way to CHRIST!)

If you are a "foot" in the BODY, don't worry about the arm, just make sure you stay of the right course.

If one member of the "Body" fights against another member of the "Body" that causes the whole BODY to be less effective at carrying out a desired task.

Shouldn't "WE" as members of the "same" BODY (that is CHRIST) work in unison as to BEST further the cause of the GOSPEL?

-
  7. ampaterry

Don't stop posting on these topics, ROMT. It would not be reasonable to expect that many of us would agree on very many things, and Christian beliefs is certainly an area where this is true.

I believe Christ sees the intent of our hearts.
    I am firmly convinced that salvation is more likely for a snake handler who firmly believes Christ wants him to handle a rattlesnake and DOES it that it is for a member of a main-line denomination who attends church mostly for business contacts.
    What I am addressing here is that as Christians, our main focus should not be on which day of the week we set aside for worship nor on which holiday we observe; our main focus should be on those religions that ignore BOTH the old and the new covenant, and instead follow the teachings of a self-proclaimed prophet who thinks himself superior to Christ.
  8. ampaterry

I will stand shoulder-to-shoulder with 7th Day Adventists, Jehovah's Witnesses, Mormons, Catholics, Jews, Church of Christ, Apostolics and every Cristian denomination and battle Islam, Satanism, Wicca, and Scientology. When the DEMONIC groups are done away with, we can get back to the less important matters like Wine or Grape Juice for communion.

Does that mean I favor the ecumenical movement?
    No way on earth.
    The result of ecumenism is a watered down and washed out religion that sort of reluctantly admits that there might be SOME kind of God out there somewhere, but nothing beyond that is actually known.
    We need to be strong separate congregations, but all marching under the standard of Jesus Christ against those that deny Him.
  9. tcox4freedom

AMEN Terry!
    I'm with you "brother".

-
  10. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I was just reading Luke 9 the other day; this conversation makes me think of one section: vv46-50:
    An argument started among the disciples as to which of them would be the greatest. Jesus, knowing their thoughts, took a little child and had him stand beside him. Then he said to them, “Whoever welcomes this little child in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me welcomes the one who sent me. For it is the one who is least among you all who is the greatest.”

“Master,” said John, “we saw someone driving out demons in your name and we tried to stop him, because he is not one of us.”

“Do not stop him,” Jesus said, “for whoever is not against you is for you.”

First, dealing with the pride and wanting to be first, Jesus brought them back to reality.
    Then, dealing with the exclusivity attitude, Jesus said if they are not against us, they are for us. We don't judge; we evaluate and respond to others who do things differently from each one of us. Some need to be weeded out, others nurtured.

Thanks again, Terry.
  11. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

amen thank you terry
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

here here !!!!
  13. ampaterry

Thank you, guys!! At times like these, I feel like we are an allied army. Different uniforms, different marching steps, different looking weapons, but all following Jesus Christ, the allied commander, against a universally recognized evil.

For today:

I once read a story about a pastor that drove up to the church in a beautiful new Cadillac. A young man was on the sidewalk when the pastor stepped out, and said:
    "Wow! Where did you get the cool set of wheels?"
    The pastor replied: "My brother gave me this automobile!"
    The young man said "That's GREAT! I sure wish that I . . ."
    At this point, the pastor was formulating in his mind the proper advice regarding contentment to this young man so obviously envious of this car, but was silenced when the young man finished the thought he was expressing: "I sure wish that I could be a brother like that!"

Too often, we get caught up in the material things of this world, and ignore the truly important things, the spiritual!
    Charles Spurgeon wrote:
    A gentleman of Boston, an intimate friend of Professor Agassiz, once expressed his wonder that a man of such abilities as Agassiz possessed should remain contented with such a moderate income.
    "I have enough," was Agassiz's reply. "I have not time to make money. Life is not sufficiently long to enable a man to get rich and do his duty to his fellow men at the same time."

Do we Christians have time to serve our God and yet to give our whole souls to gaining wealth? The question is left for conscience to answer.

Jesus tells us what is important in Matthew 6:28-33 (KJV);
    "And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin: And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith? Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed? (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things. But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you."

I pray for all of you to have enough, and realize that you do.
  14. tcox4freedom

15. Python

Python Former Guest

I have to agree with ROMT, there is only one truth, one gospel, and one Jesus Christ. We all know what Galatians 1:8 tells us, and because the word of God is absolute I for one will not compromise. Too many people, including well meaning Christians, are deceived, and the Lord has made it very clear not to be deceived. For this reason I cannot stand shoulder to shoulder with those who are deceived believing a lie and are deceiving others with a lie. It sounds good to say that we're all Christians united in one truth and one Christ, but that is the spirit of anti-christ, a lie straight from the pit of hell. Many church organizations that call themselves Christian openly believe in another Christ and another gospel, and they are accursed regardless of how politically correct or how loving one wishes to spin it. Galatians 1:8 is clear and there's no such thing as a gospel of grading on the curve or "cheap grace", our Lord's sacrifice was anything but cheap. Darkness has nothing in common with light, don't be deceived.
  16. ampaterry

In the Beatitudes, Jesus told us:
    Matthew 5:5 (KJV);
    Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.

We are all familiar with that, I am sure, but not as many are familiar with the Old Testament passage that reflects the same thing:
    Psalms 37:11 (KJV);
    But the meek shall inherit the earth; and shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

When we find things repeated in scripture, we should pay particular attention to them; they are being emphasized for a reason! The case with expressing the importance of being meek is no exception. This is a very important concept, although not a widely followed one. As human beings, we cannot understand how meekness is going to inherit the earth. In our natural state, we believe in physical strength. We believe in arms and armies. We believe in craft and cunning. We believe in energy, will, and perseverance. We believe in things. We believe in matter. We believe in influencing our fellowmen, working upon them by threats, by pain, by fear. There are few people on this earth who believe that a humble man is being used in the strongest possible manner. Most people cannot accept the idea that his humility shows that he is governed by a higher nature. They cannot conceive that an attitude of meekness is in perfect accord with the divine, which is dwelling in that meek one as a result of his new birth in Christ. In saying that the meek shall inherit the earth, the Psalmist declares the fact that this is the potential accomplishment of the man who is walking near to God. In saying the same thing, Christ declares that this is the potential accomplishment of the person who is indwelt by the Holy Spirit.
    True strength lies not in boisterous bravado and macho declarations. True strength is reflected in the motto of my Tai Kwan Do school:
    Isaiah 30:15 (KJV);
    “in quietness and in confidence shall be your strength”

May God bless each one of you, guys - -
  17. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

if folks be familiar with martial arts , most of them where developed by folks who where oppressed , where not allowed weapons , who's very lives meant nothing to those who ruled , often with acts of inane violence

the meek created these things ..
  18. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

Amen. Good post Terry. It's interesting the pressure the world puts on us to accept ways of thinking that contradict God's word. All of our lives we are taught that pride is a virtue. As long as I can remember, taking pride in our appearance, our work, our grades, and our school, was hammered into us. The coach wanted us to take pride in our team and the drill instructor to take pride in our uniform or branch of service. We are nurtured to be vain and proud. That's why humility takes practice and is often so difficult. I need constant reminders.
  19. Python

Python Former Guest

The new mantra is to protect "self esteem" at any cost.
  20. nightwalker

nightwalker New Member

We are lowly earthly creatures that God esteems highly enough to send his son to redeem. That's all the esteem I need. It is a struggle to keep from craving mankind's approval, though.