Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Today is Stephen Foster Memorial Day. This song writer of over one hundred and fifty years ago had a tremendous influence on how black people were looked at in America. He should be considered one of the first to work for an end to prejudice in our country.

During my lifetime, I have seen the Civil Rights movement come to full fruition, and seen the legal means put into place to ensure that Prejudice, whenever and wherever it raises it's ugly head, will be dealt with by the justice system. Stephen Foster started this battle, and only today is it reaching it's final victory.

But the battle is not won yet. A quick and cursory search of the internet will turn up a long list of White Supremacist sites where a group of people are ranting and raving against blacks, and talking about joining local groups that “know how to get things done”.

Things like this are truly disgusting to me – but I must admit that they are not shocking. I live in the boondox of Tennessee, and I am sad to say that prejudice is alive and well in this area.

Am I claiming that I am above prejudice?

No, I am not.

When our citizens are attacked and killed in incident after incident, and the perpetrators are young Muslim men, I feel it behooves me to learn more about the Muslim faith. When I read the Koran and Hadith and learn that killing the 'infidels' (that's all non-Muslims) is part of their doctrine as written by their prophet Muhammad, I feel perfectly justified in dealing very carefully with Muslims.

But in my own defense, I am not prejudiced against people of Mid-Eastern lineage, but rather against Muslims of ANY ancestry. Considering their history, practices and teachings, is that actually prejudice?

Remember these words of Jesus;

John 7:24 (KJV);
    Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

I believe this is what I am doing. I care not one whit what color a persons skin is, nor the slope of their eyes, nor the color of their hair. But I am vitally concerned with the content of their heart.

May God bless each one of you -
  2. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

I fully agree with your opinion on Muslims. The Koran is a very strange and contradicting book. It says somewhere to respect Jews and Christians because of our common father Abraham. Then it says to kill us. If we are worshiping the same God of Abraham then how can we be infidels?

Pray for me guys as I am heading to Phoenix next week on a job. I know God has his hand in this and has something for me to do there but leaving home and family is always unsettling.
  3. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks again, Terry;
    The advisory is spot on.

Praying for you, Pipeman.
  4. ampaterry

Thank you for the support, guys!

Heavenly Father, we come before you this morning thanking you for the job you have for our brother here in Phoenix.
    We ask, Lord, that you would put a hedge around him on the trip, that he will arrive without problems of any kind.
    We ask that this job would be beneficial to him, and that he would be beneficial to this employer as well.
    We ask that you would watch over him there, and over his family here, and keep them all safe.

And we ask these things in the name of Jesus the Christ, the omnipotent.
  5. ampaterry

In Genesis, we are told that God created everything, and that it was all "very good".

The question is often raised about such things as sand fleas, wood ticks, rattlesnakes, bacteria, and viruses. How could these things be called "very good" when they are all so damaging to many animals as well as to man?

The answer to this conundrum is found in Genesis as well. God directed Adam and Eve to stay away from one tree, that it was forbidden to them. Satan tempted Eve, and she disobeyed God, followed by Adam who also disobeyed. As part of the curse for this disobedience, God caused the introduction of troubles into the lives of man. Living things began to consume each other rather than just plants. I believe it is then that bacteria and viruses became harmful to all living things. All the things which we cannot understand why God created can be traced to the fall from grace in the garden, for it is here that pain and death entered into the world.

There is another reason for these obviously bad things, though, which was brought out by a young person at a Christian camp during a discussion period. One of the counselors was leading a discussion on the purpose God had for everything He created. They found many good reasons for clouds and trees and rocks and rivers and animals and just about everything else in nature. Finally, one of the children said, "If God had a good purpose for everything, then why did He create poison ivy?"

The following silence was broken by another child who said "The reason God made poison ivy is because He wanted us to know there are certain things we should keep our cotton-pickin' hands off of."

True.

If we had kept our cotton pickin hands off of the forbidden fruit, we wouldn't be in the mess we are in!

Psalm 19:1 (KJV);
    "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament showeth his handywork."

May God bless each one of you -
  6. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Out of the mouths of babes comes the wisdom of God.

I too am sometimes amazed at the wisdom that comes forth from my two young children. When I experience these moments, I immediately recall the scripture:
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  7. ampaterry

Absolutely, Tim -

For today:

Some years ago Omni magazine carried an article entitled "When God Plays Dice With the Universe: Connoisseurs of Chaos." The title of this article was based upon a statement once made by Albert Einstein. He was dealing with Quantum theory, and a little thing called the 'uncertainty principle'. The adherents of this theory claim that many things in the universe are not fixed until some human observer checks them.

Schrodinger described this phenomenon this way. Imagine a box with a cat inside. There is no way to tell if the cat was alive or dead without opening the box and looking. According to the uncertainty principle, the cat inside is neither dead nor alive, but in some in-between state of existence until a person opens the box to take a look, and that action determines if the cat was dead or alive! To this very odd belief, Einstein said "God does not play dice with the universe", meaning that things WERE fixed, and man's checking them had nothing to do with it.

The article in Omni described a different field of scientific inquiry called Chaos Theory. The basic premise of this theory is that there is a randomness built into the universe. Not everything is as orderly or as mechanistic as has been assumed. Chance is a part of the universe and even if we had all the data, we could not always predict the outcome.

Whether the connoisseurs of chaos or the uncertainty principle adherants are right or not, certainly God does not play dice with the universe. He rules it.

The Word of God tells us of the TRUTH, as opposed to these man made theories:
    2 Chronicles 20:5-6 (KJV);
    "And Jehoshaphat stood in the congregation of Judah and Jerusalem, in the house of the LORD, before the new court, and said, O LORD God of our fathers, art not thou God in heaven? and rulest not thou over all the kingdoms of the heathen? and in thine hand is there not power and might, so that none is able to withstand thee?"

May the God who does not play dice with the universe bless each one of you -
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

from chaos we see a practical design , the more we see of the universe and how it was created the more folks become believers in Creation as opposed to a random series of events that made the universe

through chaos we get fractal some of these are bigger equations than we can handle but as we progress we see less uncertainty and more defined development parameters

and who set these Parameters?

Thank You for another day in Your creation Lord ..

cheers Terry

have a good one !!
  9. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

Well paid scientists continue to show their stupidity. No matter what they say it is hard to imagine God at a craps table.
  10. ampaterry

Fractals are COOL indeed, Jack.
    What seemed to be randomness, we find order - Just exactly as Christians expect.

Pipeman, their reach exceeds their grasp.
    When they DON'T have a naturalistic answer to a problem, they propose a hypothesis based on absolute naturalism, then rabidly defend it when evidence is shown to be against it.

For today:

I am an old man now.

I was young and idealistic during the marches and protests of the late 50's and early 60's, when the black people in this country were joined by many of us that are not black, working for their Civil Rights.

I was in the military service a bit later on when a number of the black people decided to use this unrest to their advantage, and would routinely fail to carry their fair share of the workload. Then they would start yelling about 'prejudice!' if any NCO or officer dared call them on it.

I am very happy all those days are, for the most part, behind us. The riots, the unrest, the injustice, the injuries, the murders perpetrated by BOTH races made this a horrid period in our nations history. Unfortunately, there are still areas of the country where prejudice is not at all uncommon, and there is SOME prejudice remaining in the hearts of some people all over the country. I now live in an area where it can still be seen, and I have stumbled across web-sites on the Internet dedicated to White Power with members scattered all over the country.

Today is Martin Luther King's birthday, and we have set this day aside to remember the work that he did back in the days when the Civil Rights marches were going on, and violence was common. He risked his health and his very life fighting for equal rights for the black people in this country, and ended up paying the ultimate price for his work; he was murdered.

I look forward to seeing him someday in our Fathers house.

I truly hope I can discuss when and how the prejudice in our country finally ended. “I have a dream”, brother Martin – and it is the same as your dream; that prejudice will end soon.

This should be the dream of every Christian.

God created Adam and Eve.

We all descended from them.

Red, yellow, black, white, brown – it makes no difference; we are all God's children, and need to love each other as He loves us.

Thank you, Lord, for loving us - and help us to ALL love each other as you would have us do.
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

12. Juker

Juker New Member

Amen, Terry.
  13. ampaterry

I appreciate that support, guys!
    And, just like a preacher in a pulpit, a few chimes of AMEN spurs him on to MORE!!

For today:

We are visually oriented. Studies show that one can remember visual images much easier than we can remember verbal descriptions. What we see and what we hear have a definite impact on how we think.

I remember going to a Drive In theater something over thirty years ago, and watching a rather senseless movie staring James Taylor (the singer) named Vanishing Point. It was all weird things and wild public road car races that really didn't have much of a point at all. The nude gal on the motorcycle riding through the desert was kinda cool - - but I digress. One audience member was obviously effected by this movie VERY strongly. We left the theater and entered I-74 along with most of the rest of the audience. At that time of night, the drive in audience accounted for MOST of the traffic right then. Suddenly, one of the cars swerved off the road, across the shoulder, and up onto those big sloped grassy areas that border the interstate in some places, raced along for several blocks there PASSING TRAFFIC, then swerved back down the slope, across the shoulder, and merged back into traffic. It was just like a scene from the movie!

Television may be responsible for doubling our crime rate in the United States, according to a study reported in JAMA, the Journal of the American Medical Association. An analysis of crime statistics both before and after TV was introduced in several communities was made. Those comparisons showed that prolonged exposure to violence on TV has increased the number of murders in the U.S. by 10,000 each year. TV was a "causal factor" in about 70,000 rapes and 700,000 injurious assaults annually.
    I am not opposed to either movies or TV - but I have discovered something surprising. When I got laid off, we stopped our TV subscription and we found we don’t miss it nearly as much as we expected to!

The Word of God does not speak against TV or movies, but it does tell us to avoid evil:
    Exodus 23:2 (GW);
    Never follow a crowd in doing wrong. When you testify in court, don't side with the majority to pervert justice.

Micah 6:12 (KJV);
    "For the rich men thereof are full of violence, and the inhabitants thereof have spoken lies, and their tongue is deceitful in their mouth."

May God bless you, guys -
  14. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

Good one Terry and a hearty AMEN. I think most of us as we walk with Christ find more programs and movies offensive and limit what comes into our house. Check this link out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XN5zcfGICs&feature=related

This one is Steven Baldwin but there are other videos here that might pleasantly surprise you.

Thanks to all of you for your prayers on my Phoenix endeavor. After many strange delays I am leaving for Phoenix this afternoon.
  15. reflex1

reflex1 Active Member

And speaking of evil Terry - I found this on facebook just before coming here to TFF -

1 Corinthians 10.12-13 Even if you think you can stand up to temptation, be careful not to fall. You are tempted in the same way that everyone else is tempted. But God can be trusted not to let you be tempted too much, and he will show you how to escape from your temptations. (CEV)