Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Re: the Crystal Cathedral. I can remember at our church Annual General meetings how the treasurer would summarise the church financial expenditures for the previous year in two categories: Ministry, and Bricks and Mortar. The congregtion was always careful to see to it that the Ministry part of the budget was greater than the Bricks and Mortar. Our priority was on doing God's work, carrying out the Great Commission, not building monuments.

It makes me think of 1 Peter 2, especially vv4-5, "As you come to him, the living Stone —rejected by humans but chosen by God and precious to him— you also, like living stones, are being built into a spiritual house to be a holy priesthood, offering spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ."
  2. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

OK guys I did not want to lay this one on you but these last couple of posts have convinced me to listen to that little voice in my head. I have been a single dad for 6 years now and have a beautiful 17yo daughter. When I first got custody of her she was a little rough around the edges but she saw the changes God made in my life and decided to go to church. Things got better from there and we had a great relationhip based on trust and honesty. I found out recently that honesty and trust was only one way and she had been seeing someone who was 22 behind my back. I found out last Friday that she was 5 months pregnant from this predator and Saturday she ran away. My first instinct was to give this kid a 300yd running head start and loading one bullet in my SKS as that would be sporting. Neither her mother or I knew where she was for about a day but she called my ex and said she was on a bus to her house. Needless to say I was and still am devastated and can't remember hurting like this ever. I begged God to get rid of my anger not realizing the pain would follow. All I can say is at least she is safe and away from this kid. Please pray for both of us and I can only hope this will work itself out for God's glory.
  3. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

By the way on a lighter note my neighbor and shooting buddy reminded me that a 300yd running head start would not be fair or sporting. He suggested at least 500 yards using only iron sights.
  4. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Lord, we uplift Pipeman to you -

He is hurting, Father, and we ask that you would put your loving arms around him and bring him comfort and rest in your strength.

We ask that you would be with his daughter, also, Lord.
    We ask that you would strengthen her for the days ahead and for everything she will face.
    We ask that you would be with this girls mother as well, and bring her some measure of peace in this situation.

And for this 22 year old man, Lord -
    We ask for justice, but NOT by the hand of man.

And we ask these things in the name of Jesus, the Good Shepherd -

Amen -
  5. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

7. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

Thanks guys. I'm sure with all the people praying for this, here and at church, the kid will get the message and do what God wants. I can only hope the Lord puts someone in her path that she cannot avoid that will guide her to the right path. I implore all you parents that have kids still living at home to give them an extra hug tonight.:)
  8. ampaterry

Did you ever hear the story about the city boy who moved to a farm and bought a cow? In no time at all, the city boys cow went dry. When he was talking to one of his neighbors about this, the neighboring farmer expressed surprise, as he was familiar with the cow, and she had come from a line of fine milk cows.
    The city man said he was surprised too.
    "I can't understand it either, for if ever a person was considerate of an animal, I was of that cow. I fed here well, I provided good shelter for her, I always made sure she had good fresh water available. When it came to milking, I treated her much better than others! If I didn't need any milk, I didn't milk her. If I only needed a quart, I only took a quart."
    The farmer tried to explain that the only way to keep milk flowing is not to take as little as possible from the cow, but to take as much as possible.

That’s the way it is in the Christian life, too. Those who only turn to God in need miss the real joy that flows from a daily infilling of His Spirit.

First Thessalonians 5:16-19 (KJV);
    Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. Quench not the Spirit.

That means we don’t commune with God as little as possible, but as much as possible! We are to talk to Him about everything; we are to give thanks for everything; We are here told that is his will; and we are never to ‘put it off’ because it is not convenient, or acceptable at the moment, nor are we to ever be reluctant to 'bother' God with what we consider to be trivial. That is quenching the spirit.

He is waiting to talk to you – don’t disappoint Him.
  9. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

Amen Terry. If there is one thing this whole mess is teaching me it's that we need all the " milk " he is so willing to give.
  10. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

Amen.....
    pipeman525 - I will remember all of you in my prayers. First I want to say I realize I don't know you or your daughter your ex. or the young man or any of the circumstances that brought your family to this point, but... I have some food for thought. You obviously love your daughter very much and her best interest and happiness is all you want. The fact that you love her so much is the reason it is hurting so much. She is very young and perhaps she might never admit it but she is scared and she ran away because she thought she had to. I’m not pointing fingers at you or the young man or anyone else. But right now she needs to know that your love for her is unconditional and that no matter what, she always has a place with her dad if she chooses. Same goes for your ex. Tell her what she did yesterday does not dictate what she does tomorrow. There are 5 years between my wife and I as well, I was 24 and she was 19 when we got married. I know her parents weren’t thrilled about that either. And we had our first daughter 10 mos. later. We had our ups and downs over the years as well as two more children, and we have been married 31 years now. I guess we’ll try to stick it out…LOL !
  11. ampaterry

I joined the United States Air Force on October 1st of 1961. In my minds eye, I saw the Navy moving around in ships, the Army marching on the ground, and the Air Force as flying around in military aircraft. The reality set in when I flew on a commercial craft to Texas for basic training, then five weeks later was sent by train to Colorado for advanced training. In my entire time in the service, I was in an Air Force plane only one time, and it was a cargo plane that was not pressurized, so it had to fly around the mountains rather than over them to keep from killing those of us in the cargo area. I drove deuce and a half trucks, flatbeds, weapons carriers, and marched many miles, but never did fly up in the clouds in a military craft. I traveled from assignment to assignment in trains, buses, and other commercial transport. And that is pretty common. The defense forces of this country depend on civilian transportation for everything from troop movements to supply deliveries. That realization is why, in 1957, congress set aside the third Friday in May, today, as National Defense Transportation Day.

Scripture speaks of the needed supplies for an armed force:
    1 Kings 4:26-28 (KJV);
    And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen. And those officers provided victual for king Solomon, and for all that came unto king Solomon's table, every man in his month: they lacked nothing. Barley also and straw for the horses and dromedaries brought they unto the place where the officers were, every man according to his charge.

Let us, on this day, remember in our prayers all that work in any part of the transportation industry. Let us be grateful for the 'knights of the road', the truckers like my friend Sam. Let us thank the commercial pilots, the bus drivers, the cabbies, and the guy that sweeps the floor in the subway. Every one, from the most glorious position to the most humble, is a vital part of the network that makes our national defense possible. The best trained men and the latest technological equipment are worthless unless they are in the right place at the right time, and are continually furnished with the food, clothing and supplies which they require to do their job.
  12. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

Terry I hope your friend Sam is in North Dakota making the great money the truckers are being paid in the oil fields. They are making $80,000 a year up there.
  13. ampaterry

He is opting to spend more time with his family right now -

Today is another special day - Armed Forces Day! This is a day on which we should especially think about, thank and pray for all the members of our armed forces. American History teaches us about all the freedoms that were put into place for the citizens of this nation of ours. The constitution is the law of our land, and guarantees those freedoms.

But if you look at it objectively, the constitution is words written on paper, and has no power to guarantee anything to anyone. High sounding words, true, but just words. No proclamation of any kind has the power to guarantee anything without some force to back it up.

The deed to your home and the title to your car are both meaningless without the Judiciary system to certify your ownership of both against those that would claim they are really theirs.

But even the certification of the Judiciary means nothing without some force of arms to ensure that this certification is honored. Domestically, this force of arms consists of the various police agencies. Protection of your ownership from those outside of our nation is the purview of the Armed Forces. Every single freedom which we enjoy is only there because of the past and present work of men and women willing to leave their daily lives behind, take up arms, and fight those that would take our freedoms from us. Everything we own, everything we do, everything we love would be at risk without these fine young people standing between us and the forces of evil that run rampant around the world.

Does that mean that you and I, all those that are civilians, can kick back, throw up our feet, and let God handle all those troubles by using the tools of our armed forces?

No.

We have our own duty to perform:
    Deuteronomy 23:9 (KJV);
    When the host goeth forth against thine enemies, then keep thee from every wicked thing.

The armies alone cannot secure our blessings; each one of us is required to strive for righteousness within themselves, for only then will God continue to bless us as he has done thus far.
  14. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

Amen Terry. Let's not forget the wives and families of those in uniform either. I am taking my friend's wife to the airport today and while she knows what continent he is deployed on she does not know exactly where he is and she is going to a family reunion alone. He is in Air Force intelligence and works with the drones. I know I sleep better at night knowing he and the people he works with have an eye in the sky.
  15. ampaterry

Excellent point, Pipeman -

The final line of a Milton poem applies quite well to the families here while the military man is over there:

"They also serve who only stand and wait."
  16. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

Terry your knowledge never ceases to amaze me. I can only pray that one day my travels lead me to your neck of the woods.
  17. ampaterry

It would be cool to meet you, Pipeman -
  18. ampaterry

Today, Israel celebrates Yom Yerushalayim, or Jerusalem Day. In order to understand this day, some history is required.

The UN set the borders of Israel in 1947. Although these formed a very small area, Israel accepted them. The Arab states did not. When Israel declared it's independence in 1948, the surrounding Arab states attacked in less than 24 hours. They captured Jerusalem, and during the rest of this war, Israel was unable to capture the entire city, but had gained ground on other borders when a cease fire was called, and all borders remained as they were, with Jordan occupying the Old City and East Jerusalem. During the following years, Jordan destroyed half of the synagogues, and demolished a Jewish cemetery on the Mount of Olives so they could use the tombstones as paving stones. In 1967 Israel, ever the peacemakers, sent a message to King Hussein of Jordan telling him there would be no hostilities toward his occupied area of Jerusalem or the West Bank as long as the other fronts remained quiet. Jordan responded by shelling civilian locations within Israel, and on June 6th Israel started fighting. On June 7th, they recaptured all of Jerusalem. On June 11th, the six-day war ended with Israel once again having gained ground, including all of Jerusalem. The hopeful toast of “Next year, in Jerusalem!” had become reality, and Jerusalem Day was in 1968 proclaimed on the day the city was re-united. It was made a National Holiday in 1998.

Should we be surprised that Jerusalem was re-united?

Scripture tells us:
    Psalms 122:3 (KJV); Jerusalem is builded as a city that is compact together:

Once in a while, the English of 1611 (actually 1560!) leaves a bit of doubt concerning the meaning. Let us look at a couple of more modern translations to clarify what the KJV means by “compact”:

Psalms 122:3 (GW); Jerusalem is built to be a city where the people are united.

Psalms 122:3 (NLT); Jerusalem is a well-built city, knit together as a single unit.

GIIC, folks: God Is In Control.
  19. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

20. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

Amen Terry. Looking forward to the solar eclipse this afternoon. Las Vegas is one of the good viewing areas. I'll be putting my #11 glass in my welding hood for this one.