Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Krogen

Krogen Member

GIIC: God is in control

Good one Terry! Should be a bumper sticker don't you think?

I recall the bumper stickers that say "God is my co-pilot." To which I say to myself: Nope.... God is my PILOT!
  2. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

Krogen I fully agree. Go to this link on my website and click on the Mustang video. I'm the guy in the back and I think you'll recognize the title

http://www.gunstuff4you.com/page/190
  3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Thank you, guys!!

An anonymous friar in a Nebraska monastery wrote the following when he had grown older:
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd try to make more mistakes next time. I would relax, I would limber up, I would be sillier than I have been this trip. I would take more trips. I would be crazier. I would climb more mountains, swim more rivers, and watch more sunsets. I would eat more ice cream and less beans. If I had to do it over again I would go places, do things, and travel lighter. If I had my life to live over I would start barefooted earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall. I would ride on more merry-go-rounds. I'd pick more daisies."

I believe this friar had a good handle on the simple fact that we are not to be TOO serious in this life. We are not to go around with long faces, afraid to smile because Christians are to be sober.

I sat under a pastor in Illinois that had it right. He stepped into the pulpit, looked around over the congregation before him, and said "We are Christians! As Christians, we are preserved! Looking over these pews, I have to tell you that most of you look pickled!"

In the Old Testament we find thirteen Hebrew roots, found in twenty-seven different words, which are used primarily for some aspect of joy or joyful participation in religious worship!

Psalm 5:11-12 (KJV);
    “But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.”

On several occasions since I have been saved, I have had someone address me in the middle of some joke or frivolity which I am enjoying very much and say “A Christian should not be carrying on like that!”
    My response has always been “Jesus saved me, he didn't kill me!"

We are to be serious in our faith, but we are to be joyful in it as well, as we are in every aspect of our lives.

May God bless each one of you, and as Krogan says, keep Him in the PILOT'S seat, not the other one - -
  4. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A friend of mine said that God doesn't look down on us from the balcony of heaven, point a long bony finger at us and say "YOU!! Are you having fun?? Cut it out!!"

Psalm 100 says to Serve Him with mirth. I like that.

I'm convinced He has a sense of humor. He created the duck billed platypus, and the kookaburra has one of the most infectious laughs I have heard.
  5. ampaterry

And the loon! NO one can watch their landing skills without cracking up!
  6. ampaterry

The first job I held after my discharge in Alaska was lumberjacking for Northern Alaska Development Company north of Fairbanks. It was without a doubt the hardest work I have ever done. The turnover there was heavy, with some guys leaving after the first day of this kind of work. One man I remember, though, just loved it. He was young, strong, and seemed to thrive on this grueling work. One day I asked him what he had done before this. He said he had been in the Merchant Marine, but found the work there so hard that he jumped ship on the Alaskan coast.

That is an indication of how hard the life in the Merchant Marine is.

On May 22nd of 1819 the steam ship Savannah left Savannah Georgia for the first successful transoceanic voyage by a steam ship, which brought it to Liverpool, England 29 days later. This event is commemorated each year on this date as National Maritime Day.

The Merchant Marine is a vital part of our commerce and our defense; in WWII, they were being fired on before the US even entered the war, so they were the first in battle. At the conclusion of hostilities, they brought troops home from service, so they were the last to return home after the war.

We owe a debt to these Mariners for the very difficult work they do, because our lives would be very different without them. They move war materials that consist of everything from Tanks to Torpedoes, and from Bullets to Beans. In 1945, the Merchant Marine combined with the Coast Guard delivered cargo at the rate of seventeen million pounds per hour! They had a death rate of one in thirty, which was higher than any branch of the military. It is for good cause that they are awarded most of the benefits afforded to Veterans today.

Scripture tells the dangers of maritime travel to both cargo and people:
    Acts 27:9-10 (KJV);
    Now when much time was spent, and when sailing was now dangerous, because the fast was now already past, Paul admonished them, And said unto them, Sirs, I perceive that this voyage will be with hurt and much damage, not only of the lading and ship, but also of our lives.

Ecclesiastes tells us there is no new thing under the sun - -

Thank you, Mariners, for the work you do for all of us.
    I ask that God would look after each one of you, keep you safe, and give you a blessing.
  7. BlackEagle

I didn't realise there is a National Maritime Day, but whenever I think of sailors I think of this Psalm. Merchant mariners were in the Old Testament, too...
    Psalm 107:23-32
    23 Some went out on the sea in ships;
    they were merchants on the mighty waters.
    24 They saw the works of the Lord,
    his wonderful deeds in the deep.
    25 For he spoke and stirred up a tempest
    that lifted high the waves.
    26 They mounted up to the heavens and went down to the depths;
    in their peril their courage melted away.
    27 They reeled and staggered like drunkards;
    they were at their wits’ end.
    28 Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble,
    and he brought them out of their distress.
    29 He stilled the storm to a whisper;
    the waves of the sea were hushed.
    30 They were glad when it grew calm,
    and he guided them to their desired haven.
    31 Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love
    and his wonderful deeds for mankind.
    32 Let them exalt him in the assembly of the people
    and praise him in the council of the elders.
  8. ampaterry

Wow, BlackEagle, that is PERFECT for this day -
    THANK YOU!!
  9. ampaterry

It has always amazed me how God can speak to us using the most unusual means. I have, over the years I have been in the pulpit, received inspiration for a sermon from all sorts of wild creatures which Judy has brought me into association with. I have received a message from the stars at night, from the Aurora in Alaska, from the words of a child, and from Peanuts cartoon strips. For instance, today I will go into – Shakespeare!

In the Shakespeare's play of the same name, Macbeth tells his philosophy of life:

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing.

As Christians, we know this is a wrong attitude! For instance, in the book of John, life is revealed to be other than a philosophy:
    John 1:4 (KJV);
    John says of Jesus;
    “In Him was life, and the life was the light of men”.

If you're looking to some philosophy to give meaning to your life, you will be unfulfilled. Only Jesus Christ can give life true meaning;

John 14:6 (KJV);
    “Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”

He is the one and the only way to attain an abundant life;
    John 10:10b (KJV); “I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.”

Positive thinking, happy thoughts, PMA, all are OK, but not a single one - nor all of them together - can give your life true meaning. For that, you must turn toward your Creator, and reconcile with Him.

May God bless each one of you -
  10. BlackEagle

Psalm 90 does a great job describing the meaning of life.
  11. ampaterry

Indeed, a lot MORE folks need a heart of wisdom, especially today - -

Today is another recognized day.
    It is Ascension Day, one of the earliest Christian festivals. It was celebrated at least as early as the year 68, and marks the occasion on which Christ ascended into Heaven from the Mount of Olives as his disciples watched. This marks the end of the Easter Season.

With this celebration being so very old, it is not surprising that many cultures have attached many customs and beliefs to it that really have nothing to do with the event being celebrated.

In England, it is believed that eggs laid on this day will never go bad, and it brings good luck to place one in the roof.

In former times, they would “beat the bounds, which meant beating the kids with willow branches as they drove them around the borders of the parish, thought to purge them of evil as well as teach them where the borders were.

The Welsh believe it is bad luck to do any work on this day, so if you want to laze off, you can claim to be Welch to cover it.

In Sweden, people go out in the woods at 3 AM to listen to the first birds sing. If they hear a cuckoo, it is considered good luck. Personally, it will take more than a chance at good luck to get me out in the woods at 3 AM. That is a fine quiet time for computer work, but not a good time to be stumbling through the trees.

There are many more, but let's turn from tradition and superstition toward truth. What does this day truly signify?

Mark 16:15-20 (KJV);
    "And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."
    So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God. And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

I pray that any here who do not have a relationship with Jesus Christ will come to know Him while there is still time - -
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

good reminder

cheers Terry
  13. ampaterry

Evangelist Paul Rader had often urged a banker in New York State to receive Christ, but the man would not make the decision. One day the preacher sensed that God wanted him to go immediately and speak to him again. So he took a train to the town where the man worked, hurried to the bank, and found his friend standing in the doorway.

"Rader," he said, "I'm glad to see you! I wrote a telegram begging you to come, but later changed my mind and didn't send it."

"That's all right," said the evangelist, "your message came through anyhow by way of heaven."

Under deep conviction of sin, the banker was impressed by Rader's earnestness and his special effort to reach him with the gospel, and within a few minutes he accepted the Lord. In his newfound joy he exclaimed, "Did you ever see the sky so blue or the grass so green!"

"Hallelujah, you're truly converted!" came Rader's response. "It's just like the song says, 'Heaven above is softer blue, earth around is sweeter green, something lives in every hue Christless eyes have never seen."

Suddenly the banker gave a strange gasp and fell over dead! He had been saved at the very brink of eternity.

What if Paul Rader had ignored that call? That man may have been lost.

Are you in the position of that banker? This could be your last chance to turn your life over to Jesus Christ!

Are you in the position of Paul Rader? Is there a friend, an acquaintance, a family member who has not accepted the Lord? Do not delay to speak to them; this could be their last chance!

2 Corinthians 6:2;
    “For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.”

If you have trouble speaking to that loved one about the Lord, bring them to church with you. If you are attending a good solid Bible-preaching church (as you should be!), the preacher will be HAPPY to speak to them for you.

Yesterday is past, and cannot be changed.
    Tomorrow may never come.
    There is only TODAY.

May God bless each one of you -
  14. ampaterry

Some people who believe in the passages in the Bible about heaven, utterly reject the references to hell. Robert Ingersoll, a famous lawyer and atheist in the latter part of the nineteenth century, once delivered a blistering lecture on hell. He called hell the "scarecrow of religion" and told his audience how unscientific it was, and how all intelligent people had decided there was no such place. A drunk in the audience came up to him afterward and said, "Bob, I liked your lecture; I liked what you said about hell. But, Bob, I want you to be sure about it, because I'm depending upon you."

I don’t talk about Hell very much; I want to motivate people to turn to God, but I don’t think scaring them into it is a good way to win healthy citizens to His kingdom. People should turn to God because they love him, not because they fear what might befall them if they do not turn to him. Nevertheless, Hell exists. It is real, and will be the abode of the lost after the judgment. It is not a boogey man story to frighten the weak into doing right. Jesus Christ speaks more about hell than anyone else in the Bible.

For instance, in Matthew 23:33
    , Jesus says;
    Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?"

And yet, Jesus is kind and loving! How do we correlate the one who speaks of hell with the one who loves every creature on earth? By understanding that it is because he loves them that he speaks of hell to them! He tries other methods first, but if they are not responding, he loves them enough to warn them about where their present line of activity will lead them, in the end.

And I love you enough too; don’t be left behind. Don’t risk an eternity of separation from God for a bit of earthly pleasure! Forsake your present path, and come to Jesus Christ now! He will not refuse you.
  15. ampaterry

We all know the story of Moses climbing up on Mt. Sinai to receive the Law from God:
    Exodus 24:12 (KJV);
    And the LORD said unto Moses, Come up to me into the mount, and be there: and I will give thee tables of stone, and a law, and commandments which I have written; that thou mayest teach them.

We all know that story, but we do little to remember the time or the place of it. The Jewish people, on the other hand, commemorate the date of this occurrence every year as the second of their three major festivals of both historic and agricultural significance; Shavuot. The other two such festivals are Passover and Sukkot. The date of Shavuot moves around on our calendar, but it is fixed on the Hebrew calendar to the 6th of Sivan, which is today.
    Shavuot is not only the day which celebrates the historic event of the giving of the Torah, but it also commemorates the time when the first fruits are harvested and brought to the temple.
    In celebration of this day, no work is performed. The Jewish people stay awake all night reading the Torah to begin this festival, and they follow that with prayers as early as possible when morning comes.

In contrast to this, many Christians can hardly stand an hour of church a week, would not loose sleep over anything religious without a personal appearance of Jesus Christ demanding it of them, have not read the Bible in months – if ever, and pray only when they need something.

The Jews are radical.

They love God, and aren't ashamed to say it and live it.

Too bad we don't have more Christians that do that.

Have a blessed Shavuot, my Jewish brothers and sisters. I pray that God will bless you for your many remembrances of Him and His word.

And may God bless each one here -
  16. BlackEagle

Have you ever thought of the 10 Commandments as 10 great freedoms? God starts Exodus 20 with the proclamation I am the God that set you free. I brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. These laws will help you stay free...
    Just a seed thought. You can make it one sermon or 12...
  17. BlackEagle

Somewhere in India, 1975. Dad, mom, and my younger brother were on a mission trip to see just what God was doing in His church in various places around the world. Dad had been alerted to one church. They got there Saturday and the elders interviewed Dad fairly extensively to see whether he was fit to preach. They decided he was and invited him to preach the next day. People had been walking in from the surrounding villages to spend the night and get an early start on the worship the next day. Dad asked in passing when the service began.

The conversation went something like this: "After breakfast we have an hour or two of prayer". "Then how long should I preach? An hour?" " Oh, we have walked a long way to hear God's Word. We don't normally finish untill 3 or 4 in the afternoon, to give the people time to walk back to their villages."

Dad preached through the book of John that day.

Everyone sat on the ground under the roof, no walls in the church. The women sat on one side, the men on the other. During the prayer time one of the elders would comment from time to time. When dad wondered what they were saying, he was told that the women were praying too much; the men needed to speak up more.
  18. ampaterry

BlackEagle, there was a time in the US when church services went on for hours and hours.
    But no more.
  19. BlackEagle

People are worried their pot roast might burn.
  20. ampaterry

Today is memorial day.

I love memorial day because it brings to mind the great privilege we have of living in a country where so many were willing to sacrifice themselves for the good of their family, neighbors, and country. I love it because it makes my chest swell with pride. I love it because when a country can produce such fine young people, I know that country is one of the best on the planet. I love it because it clearly shows that our freedom can never be taken from us as long as such people exist here. I love it because the signs of patriotism all around me in the flags and parades show me that America is still young and strong. I love it because it was so honored by my father-in-law Chuck Lewis, one of the finest Americans to be born in this country.

I hate memorial day because it brings to mind the lives of so many fine young people that were much shorter than they should have been. I hate to think that my freedom has cost others so very much. I hate to think that the world is such an evil place that men and women have to die to keep the rest of us safe from being subjected to the whims of an evil dictator. I hate it because so many see it as only a three day weekend. I hate it because so many businesses use it for nothing but their own profit. I hate it because it reminds me of the torture, medical experiments and starvation which Chuck was put through in WWII, which finally took his life after years of suffering.
    I find that I am hot on Memorial day and cold on Memorial day at the same time.
    One thing is for sure, though.
    I will never be indifferent towards it.

Lord, I beseech you that you would comfort all the families and friends of every service member who gave their life for this nation.
    I ask that you would bless each one, and let them know that their loss is grieved by all of us.
    I ask for your blessing and protection on each member of our armed forces; keep them safe, Lord, as they do their duty for our nation.
    And I ask for a blessing for each veteran of the armed forces. Let them know that their service is appreciated.

And I ask these things in the Holy name of Jesus the Christ, the Lion of Judah.
    Amen -