Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Re: Chaplains Corner

AMEN !!
    Thanks again Terry for a wonderful teaching. Yes we are persercuted and we must try to overcome it. All of the things that you mentioned have happened in our life time, just think what will happen in our children's life time. Something has to be done, but nothing I can think of will work except prayer.
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Terry , Thank you for raising this ,

http://www.compassdirect.org/ for anyone thinking Christians are not being persecuted

Its strange how they say religion does not matter but the lefties love to throw it about like its a sword, in many ways Faith is ..

It was found out i am Militia Dei of the Anglican Church ,

Miltia Dei is a charity group made up after the first world war , only combat veterans we raise funds for veterans groups and children's charities , we also keep and eye on other veterans , those who may need someone to talk to etc ..

( i sell raffle tickets !!! shhhh !!! and occasionally i organise a BBQ , or bush cooking competition or a dinner dance )

whilst trying to answer peoples questions about Sharia law in a online debate held after a TV debate on islam here a leftie who months before had promised big things to come , started throwing this around like it was a membership in the KKK , and stating we where a ultra right wing Christian militia , like terrorists or something , and of course it hit the news , this was from a internal news letter its part toungue in cheek, all vestments listed are not what they are , and special ops, that means get a BBQ or dance together in 2 weeks ... but they posted it on the TV stations facebook page and it hit the fan ..

and later i and my Militia Dei friends where stated as those behind a plot that hijacked a face book group vote for leadership of the Australian Defence League , we had nothing to do with it theres 30 of us , never less , never more , average age is 70+ (i'm a youngun), like we care ... but we been tainted as some secret army by the lefties hahahaha

thats lefties

maybe its the lack of Faith that leaves em so empty they gotta throw crazy stuff like all this about

but after all the mess was sorted , we had a huge raise in revenues for a while , its not gone all the way back down yet so we are hoping ..

for a while we had clubs ask us to explain what was happening , that really cut things back for a while , but the Truth came out in the end

with God , it generally does ;)

Thanks again Terry

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

When I was a young teenager, I experimented with smoking. There was no law against children smoking in those days, but my dad and mom had their own law, so I did it only in secret. I would go down to a little store that my parents did not shop at, pull a piece of paper from my pocket and pretend to read what Dad had sent me for; a particular kind of cigar, usually. I would then go out and ride away from the store on my bicycle before lighting it, then peddle around in different neighborhoods puffing away on it. On one such day, I recognized an approaching car as one belonging to my sister and her husband, which sent me into a panic. Fastened to the handlebars of my bike, I had a WWII vintage knapsack, made of OD Canvas, which I used to carry things on my bike. I opened the flap, dropped the cigar in, and rode on trying to act innocent. The car stopped when they got even with me, and my sister and her husband talked briefly to me. I don't remember anything they talked about, but I sure do remember the coil of smoke that rose from my knapsack. I am sure they noticed, but they never said a word about it. My knapsack suffered a hole burned in the bottom from the incident, and my desire for cigars was considerably lessened in the future.
    A lit cigar cannot be concealed in a canvas bag. It will betray itself with smoke, and eventually flame. Neither can pet sins be kept hidden beneath the most glorious sounding profession of faith; they will sooner or later discover themselves, and burn sad holes in a person's reputation. Sin needs quenching in the Savior's blood, not being hidden under the knapsack of religion.
    The Word of God tells us:
    Numbers 32:23 (KJV);
    "But if ye will not do so, behold, ye have sinned against the LORD: and be sure your sin will find you out."
    Proverbs 28:13 (KJV);
    "He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy."

I will talk to you again tomorrow - and may God bless and protect each one here.
  4. Woodnut

AMEN !!!
    Terry, that story brings back a lot of memories of my childhood, but without the bike. Just the secret smoking, rolling your own and grape vines. Whatever would lite. But you are so right, you cannot hide it for very long, and you certainly can't hide your sins from God, eventually they will catch up with you.
    Thanks Terry for the wonderful words, and the inspiration for the day.
  5. ampaterry

Always do, Carl - sometimes quickly, sometimes years later, but they ALWAYS do.

Grapevines!
    Man, I had managed to forget about those nasty things -

And the corn-field smokes: Corncob pipe, corn stalk stem, and dry corn silk to smoke in it.

We were wild and crazy guys, back then - -
  6. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Thanks, Terry. :)
  7. ampaterry

We are in an age of rocketing technology. My parents told me stories about the first radio sets, and how everyone would come from the whole neighborhood to stare in wonder at the first set in town. They remember the first automobile that came to their town as well; it was a Stanley Steamer, and they said you could hear doors slamming all up and down the street as people ran outside to watch it go past.
    From my own youth, I remember the first TV set in our area. My sister bought it, and we would all go to her house to watch this marvel of a radio with pictures.
    Here in Tennessee, we have a more recent story from Sybil Hardaway in Spring City. She tells: "When cable television became available in our rural area, I ordered the service almost immediately. My friend wasn't as easily convinced, debating whether she could afford the service. "I could stop the daily newspaper," she thought aloud. "I really take it only for the obituaries and it's not worth it. People I know almost never die.""
    Every generation has their own technological shocks to get used to. I just read about a young man who was talking to an older man about how different life is now than it used to be. He said "Old man, you just don't understand what it's like growing up today; why when you grew up, you didn't even HAVE personal computers, cell phones or I-pods. You didn't even have the internet, NONE of those things.
    The old man replied:
    "You're right; we didn't have any of those things. So we got busy and INVENTED them for YOUR generation to benefit from. What are YOU doing for the NEXT generation?"
    Technology is a wonderful thing, and something which NONE of us would actually want to live without. But it is important to remember what REAL knowledge is. The Word of God tells us:
    Proverbs 2:3-5 (KJV);
    "Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures; Then shalt thou understand the fear of the LORD, and find the knowledge of God."

Thank you, Lord, for the minds you have blessed us with that can bring such marvels into this world for the benefit of us all.
    And be merciful to those that misuse them.
    Amen -
  8. Woodnut

AMEN !! Thanks Terry.

No longer than a week ago a gentleman and I were having almost this same conversation. I told him that we did not have these fancy things when I was a young'n but while we did not have all those things, we were outside inventing and working with our hands to learn more of what we could do with them.
    Like you, I must be a true Tennessean, everything you speak of I fully understand and seems like at some time in my life I have experienced what you are talking about.
    It is so good to read your teachings each and every morning.
    Job well done Terry.
  9. ampaterry

I just read that Harold Camping has predicting that Jesus will return Saturday, day after tomorrow. Harold is a retired Civil Engineer from Oakland, California that founded Family Radio Worldwide, an independent ministry that does broadcast all around the world. Harold predicted this in 1994, but that failure has not detered him nor his followers from believing that THIS time he is right.
    There is even a guy in New Hampshire, Bart Centre, selling insurance contracts to Christians who believe the rapture is emminant. for $135 he will take care of your pet for 10 years if you get raptured out, because no dogs go to heaven.

For Harold:
    Matthew 24:36 (KJV);
    But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only.

No one knows the day of His coming. Harold is wrong.

For Bart:
    Revelation 19:11-14 (KJV);
    And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.

Armies coming from heaven mounted on horses.
    Proof there are animals in heaven.
    Bart is wrong, and so are all his clients.

Jesus COULD come today, tomorrow, or Saturday.
    But prudent Bible believing Christians will go ahead and make plans for next week.
  10. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

planning for the next 50 years here , i wont be here but i'm gonna leave all thats needed for those who follow , and again no-one knows but The Lord and He aint saying till the trumpets sound.

as soon as i hear these folks say the end is nigh , i cringe , with all the predictions come many poor and confused folks who suicide and thats sad.. that big group who did themselves in was similar God did not bring the golden space ship so the boss told em all to drink poison , real Christian eh ,
  11. Woodnut

AMEN !!
    As you say, "No one will know when that day is coming", I read that passage years ago for the first time, and I have never doubted the word of God. I really can't explain why others think they can predict the end of time and the return of Jesus. I will usually walk away from a conversation on this matter, because those people that believe that are so wrapped up in their own beliefs that they forget the word of God, and there is no persuading them. Oh I could babble on and on, but will leave it kinda short.
    Still planning on many years here.
  12. ampaterry

Jesus clearly said that no man, nor angel, but God alone knows the day.

But Harold actually believes HE has figured it out?

If you look up 'audacity' in the dictionary, it probably has Harold's picture there.
  13. ampaterry

I joined the United States Air Force on October 1st of 1961. In my minds eye, I saw the Navy moving around in ships, the Army marching on the ground, and the Air Force as flying above the clouds in military aircraft. The reality set in when I flew on a commercial craft to Texas for basic training, then five weeks later was sent by train to Colorado for advanced training. In my entire time in the service, I was in an Air Force plane only one time, and it was a cargo plane that was not pressurized, so it had to fly around the mountains rather than over them to keep from killing those of us in the cargo bay. I drove deuce and a half trucks, flatbeds, weapons carriers, and marched many miles, but never did fly up in the clouds in a military craft. I traveled from assignment to assignment in trains, buses, and other commercial transport. And that is pretty common. The defense forces of this country depend on civilian transportation for everything from troop movements to supply deliveries. That realization is why, in 1957, congress set aside the third Friday in May, today, as National Defense Transportation Day.
    Scripture speaks of the needed supplies for an armed force:
    1 Kings 4:26-28 (KJV); And Solomon had forty thousand stalls of horses for his chariots, and twelve thousand horsemen. And those officers provided victual for king Solomon, and for all that came unto king Solomon's table, every man in his month: they lacked nothing. Barley also and straw for the horses and dromedaries brought they unto the place where the officers were, every man according to his charge.

Let us, on this day, remember in our prayers all that work in any part of the transportation industry. Let us be grateful for the 'knights of the road', the truckers like my friend Sam. Let us thank the commercial pilots, the bus drivers, the cabbies, and the guy that sweeps the floor in the subway. Every one, from the most glorious position to the most humble, is a vital part of the network that makes our national defense possible. The best trained men and the latest technological equipment are worthless unless they are in the right place at the right time, and are continually furnished with the food, clothing and supplies they require to do their job.

May God bless each one here today -
  14. Python

Python Former Guest

True, no man knows the day or the hour, of the Rapture. However, if you want to know the exact time of Christ's "RETURN" all you have to do is count ahead 7yrs. after the Tribulation begins, or 3-1/2 yrs. after the anti-Christ desecrates the Temple in Jerusalem. That's if you're still here. As for the End Times and the Last Generation, God makes it crystal clear in His reference to the re-birth of Israel (1948) in that this generation shall not pass away until "ALL" of these things have come to pass. Do the math.
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
  15. Woodnut

Amen !! Thanks Terry, and may God bless you and everyone who is taking part in his role in life.
  16. ampaterry

Good morning.
    6 PM has come and gone in New Zealand - and the world did not end.
    So Harold Camping was wrong today, just as he was wrong in 1994, just as every single person that has claimed they knew the date of any end-time event has been wrong.
    What will he do now for an income?
    He will claim the world ended, but it was on a spiritual level so no one noticed, and his cult will continue to attract people for him to separate them from their money.
    PT Barnum was right, it seems.

Today is Armed Forces Day. This is a day on which we should especially think about, thank and pray for all the members of our armed forces. American History teaches us about all the freedoms that were put into place for the citizens of this nation of ours. The constitution is the law of our land, and guarantees those freedoms.
    But if you look at it objectively, the constitution is words written on paper, and has no power to guarantee anything to anyone. High sounding words, true, but just words. No proclamation of any kind has the power to guarantee anything without some force to back it up. The deed to your home and the title to your car are both meaningless without the Judiciary system to certify your ownership of both against those that would claim they are really theirs. But even the certification of the Judiciary means nothing without some force of arms to ensure that this certification is honored. Domestically, this force of arms consists of the various police agencies. Protection of your ownership from those outside of our nation is the purview of the Armed Forces. Every single freedom which we enjoy is only there because of the past and present work of men and women willing to leave their daily lives behind, take up arms, and fight those that would take our freedoms from us. Everything we own, everything we do, everything we love would be at risk without these fine young people standing between us and the forces of evil that run rampant around the world.
    Does that mean that you and I, all those that are civilians, can kick back, throw up our feet, and let God handle all those troubles by using the tools of our armed forces?
    No.
    We have our own duty to perform:
    Deuteronomy 23:9 (KJV); When the host goeth forth against thine enemies, then keep thee from every wicked thing.

The armies alone cannot secure our blessings; each one of us is required to strive for righteousness within themselves, for only then will God continue to bless us as he has done thus far.

I will talk to you again tomorrow - because Harold, like all date-setters - was completely wrong.
  17. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

thanks to day light savings its 9:39 pm here , pancake batter is done and resting for the morning , shoes shined , kids in bed and all is pretty good considering

My very Best wishes on this day to all those out there who have served ,

My prayers as well

cheers Terry
  18. Woodnut

AMEN ! Thanks Terry for the inspiration.
    God bless all those who are serving and the ones that have served. As I knew it would be, Harold was wrong again. When will he learn. ??????
    I checked the thread early this morning and then got busy working on a drawing, that is why I am so late about posting.
  19. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

Sad that some folks actually believe what that person said about the end. Gonna be a lot of disappointed people tomorrow.
  20. ampaterry

Today is Lag B-Omer, a day of observance in Judaism. It is a bit complicated, but I will attempt to give an explanation of what this day signifies. First off, “Lag” is not a word, but a number; 33. Hebrew letters are assigned values so they can be used for numbers as well as for words, similar to the way that I could use MIX as the number 1009, utilizing Roman Numerals. It might be even more confusing in that case, because MIX is a perfectly good English word!
    So Lag B-Omer actually means the 33rd of Omer. What is Omer?
    Leviticus 23:15 (KJV); And ye shall count unto you from the morrow after the sabbath, from the day that ye brought the sheaf of the wave offering; seven sabbaths shall be complete:
    The Jewish people count these days, from Passover to Shavuot (the day of the giving of the Torah). This is a time of mourning among them, because this is the period during which the Jewish people waited at the base of Mt. Sinai for the return of Moses with the Talmud; a period when they failed to 'keep the faith'. On the second day of Passover, a measure of Barley was cut and brought to the temple as an offering. The name of this unit of measure was “Omer”, and this is the reason they named this period of numbering as Omer. Today is the 33rd day of this numbering.
    OK, now WHY do they take note of this day?
    Rabbi Akiba was one of the greatest Rabbi's recorded in the Talmud, and he had many students. A plague came to them during the counting of the Omer, and after thousands of them had died, the 33rd day of the Omer was free of further deaths. Some say this day is when Manna was first found in the desert during the Exodus. For whatever reason, today is the only day in the entire counting of the Omer which is free from mourning. Tomorrow, the solemnity returns until the 49 day, the completion of the count.

Let us, each one, pray for the Jewish people today. They are the ROOT from which Christianity has spring. They are the good olive tree, we are just grafted into it! Read Romans chapter 11 -
    That is homework. And there just MIGHT be a pop-quiz on it later - -

May God bless each and every one of you -