Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Re: Chaplains Corner

Today is Yom HaAtsmaut, or the Jewish independence Day. Yesterday, Israel held memorial services for the soldiers that have died fighting for their country. Today, they change from the solemnity of memorials to the celebration of independence! On this day in 1948, Israel declared it's independence. Less than 24 hours later, the new country was attacked by Egypt, Syria, Jordan, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and Lebanon. Eight months later, cease-fire agreements were signed which gave Israel more land than she had when the war started. In other words, this flea-speck of a nation cleaned the clocks of her surrounding giant Arab neighbors who were larger, richer, and better equipped.
    Does that puzzle you?
    It shouldn't.
    God promised that land to Abraham and his seed forever.
    God is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
    God does not go back on his promises.
    Happy Birthday, Israel.
    I pray that your days will be long and sunny, and that your Arab neighbors will all be caught up in their own snares.
    If they dig a pit for you, I pray they will fall into it.
    I pray that God will continue to strengthen your fighting forces, to give comfort to your citizens, and a bright future for you; the only democratic state in the area.
    I pray that the United States will remain firmly behind Israel, our only true ally in the entire region.

Genesis 12:1-3 (KJV);
    Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee: And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

Has that prophecy come to pass?
    Are all families of the earth blessed through the Jewish people?
    Take a look at the list of nobel prize winners -
    Who are the finest doctors, physicist, and scientists of all kinds?
  2. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

AMEN !

Thanks for a great start of the day Terry.
    Last edited: May 10, 2011
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

God dont break promises , we screw em up , but He dont break em
  4. Juker

Juker New Member

Amen, amen!
  5. ampaterry

We once attended a little independent Baptist church in IL that we dearly loved. The pastors son coming home from church one night, saw someone breaking into his house. He drove on by, went to his dads and borrowed a shotgun, returned and gave the guy a butt full of pellets as he ran away.
    Some people, upon hearing that story, are really aghast that a pastors son would shoot someone for trying to steal from him. These folks seem to think that, as a Christian, they are not to take action against someone robbing them.
    They usually base this belief upon this passage of Christ's in Matthew:
    Matthew 5:40 (KJV); And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloke also.
    What is important to note here, though, is that this does not deal with robbery, but with a legal action. If you have not made your car payments, and the bank re-possesses your vehicle, you are NOT to go out and cold-cock the repo-man. You do not try to keep the tires, the keys, or the DVD changer. IF the repossession is a mistake, call the lien holder, the police, and an attorney, in that order, until the mistake is corrected. IF the repossession was wrong, it will be put right in due time, through the legal system.

There is another passage, also in the words of Christ, also in Matthew, and this one DOES deal with robbery:
    Matthew 12:29 (KJV); Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house.
    It is clear from this that one is to guard their own possessions against theft; They are to STOP the thief.
    I am a pastor.
    If I see you breaking into my house to rob me, praying for you will not be my first action. Shooting you will be. Then, should you survive, I will pray that you find a safer way to make a living in the future. And that is what I find in my Bible.

I will talk to you again tomorrow - and may God RICHLY bless you.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Good one ! cheers Terry

God knows whats best ..
  7. Juker

Juker New Member

Amen!
  8. Warith

Warith Member

Amen and oh so true. Give unto ceasar what is ceasars but keep what is yours yours.
  9. Woodnut

AMEN ! and thank you Terry, no truer words than those. Very good description of the scripture.
  10. ampaterry

Yesterday, I had a message that I know put some people off. Somehow, the idea is out there that Christians are supposed to be all meek and mild all the time, no matter what the circumstances. This devotional is to them.
    I remember an old evangelist I sat under for a week-long revival many years ago in IL. He had a message titled "Jesus was not a nice guy; he was RIGHT!"
    The whole point of the sermon was that Jesus was not some touchie-feelie milquetoast type of person. He was not all holding hands and singing cum-by-ya.

John 2:13-15 (KJV); And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem, And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting: And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;

When the money changers were desecrating the temple, Jesus did not say "Come, let us reason together." He did not apply the principles taught in sensitivity training classes. He made a WHIP. The Bible does not go into great detail about his entry into the temple that day, as it only mentions that he drove all out and then upset the tables of these merchandisers. If that is ALL he did, why did he first make a whip? Do you suppose he whipped those nasty tables with it? Do you suppose he drove them out of the temple the way a bar owner closes the place by announcing "You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here!"? No, the whip was for the MEN who were desecrating the temple! Jesus was not all completely peace and love that day; but he was all completely RIGHT.

And that is the lesson to us.
    We are to pattern ourselves after Christ; that is why we call ourselves Christians.
    As Christians, we are not required to always be NICE.
    But we must guard that, when we are not nice, we are right.

May the Lord bless each one of us here, and I pray for strength and morality that none of us kindle his righteous anger.
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Deo duce, ferro comitante

Amen!
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
  12. Woodnut

AMEN !!! Terry, and I agree whole heartedly with the way you think, and interpret the Scripture.
  13. Juker

Juker New Member

Amen!
  14. Airdale

Airdale Member

Amen!

Thanks Terry
  15. cutter

cutter New Member

Amen!!! You are spot on! Terry, Thanks so much for your posts, they have become my daily reading in the morning!!!