Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. nightwalker

nightwalker New Member

Amen! Have a special Easter.
  2. cutter

cutter New Member

Terry,

I also get a lot out of your morning sermons! Thanks so much for what you do!! I hope everyone has a great Easter and remembers why we celebrate!!!:)
    My Lord has risen!!!!
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  3. reflex1

reflex1 Active Member

And another Amen to ya Brother Terry - I'm sure you will have a very special "sermon" for tomorrow and I look forward to it as I do each day - thanks Terry!
  4. Skyking

Skyking New Member

When does Passover begin and how long does it last?

Passover 2012 begins at sundown on Friday, April 6. That is the date according to the Gregorian calendar.

I observed this last eve and it also started the Feast of Unleavened Bread which last for 7 days , Passover is just the flash in the pan ,today is the !st day of Unleavened Bread which is a weekly Sabbath and also a high sabbath
  5. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Sometimes your posts make me question whether or not you really understand anything about Christ and HIS teaching. :rolleyes:
  6. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Guys, I thank you for your support here; it means very much to me to know that my efforts are being well received.

Today is Easter.
    We have talked about the mighty miracle of Christ raising Lazarus from the dead. The next day, we spoke of Jesus triumphal entry in Jerusalem, when some of the people that had witnessed that miracle spread the word to others, that this man was something very special indeed. They spread palm fronds before him that day, in honor of his person.
    Then we had the horror of Good Friday, when Jesus died on the cross for the sins of the world. He suffered for us, and he died for us. You and me.
    But today, something singular and special happened. First it is absolutely essential to understand that Jesus did, indeed, die on the cross. The idea that someone would bribe the guards to say otherwise is ludicrous. These were soldiers, and dereliction of their duty carried a death penalty. No amount of money would cause them to lie about this. Jesus died. He was placed in a tomb. And this morning, when the women went to perform the ritual cleansing of his body, they found the tomb empty.

Luke 24:1-9 (KJV);
    Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them. And they found the stone rolled away from the sepulchre. And they entered in, and found not the body of the Lord Jesus. And it came to pass, as they were much perplexed thereabout, behold, two men stood by them in shining garments: And as they were afraid, and bowed down their faces to the earth, they said unto them, Why seek ye the living among the dead? He is not here, but is risen: remember how he spake unto you when he was yet in Galilee, Saying, The Son of man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again. And they remembered his words, And returned from the sepulchre, and told all these things unto the eleven, and to all the rest.

And today, to all the researchers who seek the tomb of Jesus, to those who think they have identified his burial box, I repeat the words of the angels on this first Easter: “Why seek ye the living among the dead?”

May the risen Christ of Easter bless each and every one of you -
  7. ampaterry

My appologies; Yesterday was the first day of passover, but since the Jewish people measure a day from sundown to sundown instead of midnight to midnight as we do, it actually began at sundown Friday for them. For those of us that measure time from midnight to midnight, it began yesterday.
  8. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Amen and thanks.
  9. ampaterry

Today is Easter Monday, the day after Easter Sunday. It should not be surprising that the most important event of the Christian year is celebrated on more than just one day by many Christians.

From a Roman Catholic site, I got this description of this day:

Christians celebrated the days immediately following Easter - the most
    important holy day in the Christian church -by telling jokes, playing pranks, and feasting on lamb. People would add fragrant oil or perfume to the Easter water they brought home from church, and then use this water to sprinkle and bless their food, pets, gardens, and homes.

Easter Monday morning, men would wake their wives with a spritz of the perfumed Easter water as they whispered, "May you never wither."
    On Easter Tuesday, women would return the favor as they awakened their husbands with a bucketful of the scented water!

I don't have a problem with any kind of joyful activity today, because this is a most joyous time. The tomb is EMPTY!! Christ is RISEN!!

Jesus told us what to do after he had risen from the tomb:
    Mark 16:14-20 (KJV);
    Afterward he appeared unto the eleven as they sat at meat, and upbraided them with their unbelief and hardness of heart, because they believed not them which had seen him after he was risen. And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature. He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned. And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover. So then after the Lord had spoken unto them, he was received up into heaven, and sat on the right hand of God. And they went forth, and preached every where, the Lord working with them, and confirming the word with signs following. Amen.

Whether or not you take part in any Easter Monday traditions, every one of us can open our eyes this morning and say "He Is Risen!"
  10. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

AMEN! This morning and every morning.

I had never heard of this celebration of Easter Monday. Maybe I'm just too much of a stick in the mud, but I have a bit of a problem with any frivolity associated with the celebration of Christ's death, burial, and resurrection. To me it's more of a time for somber, sober, reflection. Of course we rejoice that He is risen, but I just don't associate silliness or "pranking" with the joy I feel. But that's just my opinion. Been wrong before and I'm sure I'll be wrong again.
  11. tcox4freedom

I agree ROMT. It is a time of somber & sober reflextion. Christ took "our" sin upon himself and endured "our" punishment.

But, we can also REJOICE, REJOICE in a LOUD VOICE, lifting PRAISES upon HIM!! For Jesus himself told us NOT to weep & mourn for HIM. He came to die for us; more than his "Resurrection" was because HE loved us so much!

His death "would" have been tragic "IF" he died in vain.

But, it wasn't tragic! Jesus didn't die in vain.
    • Jesus came to die for us!
    • He came to be "resurrected" for us!
    • He came to restore us unto HIMSELF!
    • He came to bring us VICTORY!
    • He's coming again to "CALL" us into HIS Kingdom!

That's why we can rejoice. That's why we can say, "Oh death where is your sting?"

For me "Easter" in not only about Christ's death. Easter is about HIS Resurrection & VICTORY over satan. That's why we can be happy and we can REJOICE and shout praises unto the LORD!

We no longer have to live in sorrow & shame!
    We can boldly lift our eyes unto the LORD and proclaim; "ABBA FATHER!"

• We no longer have to FEAR judgement.
    • We no longer have to be afraid of death.
    • We no longer have to live in defeat & despair.

I say REJOICE in a LOUD voice & PRAISE HIM!!!

He has RISEN!!!

-
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  12. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I like the sign I heard about...it was over the door inside the church, so people saw it as they went out of the church after the service:
    The Mission Field Starts Here

Thanks again, Terry
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  13. ampaterry

I agree, guys - although Easter is a time of JOY, it is a much deeper and more spiritual joy than that of frivolity.

For today;

In the last few years, I have had little time for leisure reading, but in my younger days I was an avid Science Fiction fan.

There are several themes which are repeated in Science Fiction literature, such as tales of a post-nuclear war earth, and how civilization survives such a catastrophe.

Another involves what I want to talk to you about today. The scene in this theme is the earth of today, or of the near future, in which international tensions are high. Nation is at war with nation, and the horrid specter of a nuclear war on a global scale grows until it seems that nothing can stop it.
    Then come the visitors.
    They are different looking, and from different locations. They have different technology and different weapons. Sometimes they come in open assault, and sometimes they come posing as friends trying to help us, but they are ALWAYS bent on the destruction of the human race. They need our bodies for food, or our organs for research, or they need our planet, or they need our oxygen, or they need our abundant water, and the only way to fill this need is to destroy us. War of the Worlds and Independence Day are two movies that follow this theme.
    The result of this attack is always the same: The people of the world join together to face this threat from the outside. Like bickering brothers who stand shoulder-to-shoulder against the schoolyard bully, the differences between people of our planet disappear as they face a common enemy.

Seeing how different churches fight and bicker between themselves reminds me of these stories. And the solution is the same – we must turn, recognize the common enemy, and realize that the petty differences between Christians are nothing when compared to the differences between us and the God of this world, Satan; our REAL enemy!

Paul tells us of the need for this:
    Galatians 5:14-15 (YLT);
    for all the law in one word is fulfilled--in this: `Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself;' and if one another ye do bite and devour, see--that ye may not by one another be consumed.

May the Lord bless and keep each one of you, and help all Christians UNITE against the one they SHOULD be battling with.
  14. tcox4freedom

Great post Terry-

Divisiveness and dissensions among the ranks in "c-hristianity" always has been a huge problem with "C-hristianity".

Mankind's sinful & prideful nature has reared it's ugly head in "denominational" leadership and "religious" zealots since the very beginning of Christianity. Unfortunately, we can't get away from it and probably never will.

We've even seen people on this very forum that have allowed the "sin of pride" to take control of them. When a christian allows a "haughty" spirit to rise up within them and begins thinking they are more "knowledgeable" about "spiritual" things than everyone else they really become blinded to the "TRUE" things of the SPIRIT.

I think it's so very important today to guard our hearts & minds against the sin of "haughtiness". The Bible tells us we should NOT think of ourselves more highly than we should. We are told to think of others more highly than ourselves.

We are also told to take on the mind of Christ and "humble" ourselves. I think it is VITAL to our growth & survival in the world today; NOT to allow pridefulness to get a foothold in our lives. (esp as we approach the "evil" days ahead)

I personally think as we move closer to "that evil day" we need to grow stronger in "UNITY" and "oneness" in our LORD & Savior. If we continue to nitpick about things irrelevant to Salvation and try to throw ourselves back into the bondage of religious "zealously", we ALLOW the enemy to weaken us and cause us to be less effective as ministers of the Gospel.

-
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  15. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I hate to be the one always disagreeing with the message, and I suppose I should just shut up and go away, in fact I will, but.....the situation is a little more complicated than nit picking other denominations. At the risk of opening up old wounds, it must be said that there are many calling themselves Christian today who believe damnable lies.

Agreed, our Lord hates dissension in His church, but He does not want us to fellowship with or accept the false doctrine of apostate religion simply because they claim His name. Ecumenicalism is nothing more than a ploy to unite all would be believers under one heretical banner, or encourage them to accept a blend of liturgy and doctrine. It's author is Satan.

Certainly the world will applaud ecumenical rhetoric, but the world does not care about your soul. To accept this "I'm OK, you're OK" concept of unity among believers is to abrogate ones responsibility to spread the true gospel to the world and risks the corruption of the tenets of ones own true faith.

Of course the reply to that will be "but whose religion is true?" Only the Bible and the Holy Spirit can answer that question for the individual, but logic will dictate that they can't all be true.

Furthermore, it must be stated that whenever one participates in any venue, where for the sake of political correctness, they may not proclaim the truth, they have again abrogated their responsibility as a Christian. For that reason I will not participate in any more of these discussions.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012