Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

Re: Chaplains Corner

AMEN !!! Thanks Terry.
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

The first job I held after my discharge in Alaska was lumberjacking for Northern Alaska Development Company north of Fairbanks. It was without a doubt the hardest work I have ever done. The turnover there was heavy, with some guys leaving after the first day of this kind of work. One man I remember, though, just loved it. He was young, strong, and seemed to thrive on this grueling labor. One day I asked him what he had done before this. He said he had been in the Merchant Marine, but found the work there so hard that he jumped ship on the Alaskan coast. That is an indication of how hard the life in the Merchant Marine is.
    On May 22nd of 1819 the steam ship Savannah left Savannah Georgia for the first successful transoceanic voyage, which brought it to Liverpool, England 29 days later. This event is commemorated each year on this date as National Maritime Day. The Merchant Marine is a vital part of our commerce and our defense; in WWII, they were being fired on before the US even entered the war, so they were the first in battle. At the conclusion of hostilities, they brought troops home from service, so they were the last to return home after the war.
    We owe a debt to these Mariners for the very difficult work they do, because our lives would be very different without them. They move war materials that consist of everything from Tanks to Torpedoes, and from Bullets to Beans. During WWII In 1945, the Merchant Marine combined with the Coast Guard delivered military cargo at the rate of seventeen million pounds per hour! They had a death rate of one in thirty, which was higher than any branch of the military. It is for good cause that they are awarded most of the benefits afforded to Veterans today.
    Scripture tells the dangers of maritime travel to both cargo and people:
    Acts 27:9-10 (KJV); Now when much time was spent, and when sailing was now dangerous, because the fast was now already past, Paul admonished them, And said unto them, Sirs, I perceive that this voyage will be with hurt and much damage, not only of the lading and ship, but also of our lives.

Ecclesiastes tells us there is no new thing under the sun - -

Pray for God to keep these folks safe, and bless them for the work they do.

And may God bless each one here -
  3. Woodnut

AMEN !! Terry
    A member of my wife's family was a Merchant Marine, and all her family tells of how hard the work was and the long hours at sea. Must have been some dangerous hard life to live. My prayers go out to those who have those jobs even now, and a thanks to those before us who served, sounds like they had it pretty ruff. Thanks to you for pointing these things out to me. I had never connected this occupation with scripture before.
  4. ampaterry

I read that the end-of-the-world preacher has granted us a five month reprieve.
    Another math mistake, I guess -
    What part of "No man knows the day or the hour" doesn't he understand?
    When November comes, his face will be even redder than it is now -
    Ah well -
    To the thought for today:

Every one of us should do some self searching now and then. It is a good way to discover hidden faults, because even your best friends are unlikely to tell you about them. One important question for a person to ask themselves as they review their past life is; Have I built castles in the sand? Will my life-work endure over the years after I have departed this earthly life? Has there been anything immortal in it, which will survive the usual ravages of time? The children build castles in the sand at the beach, and in a few hours the tide removes every trace of them. Will it be so with my work, or will the works that I have carved outlast even the stone records of history?
    The Word of God tells us:
    Matthew 25:31, 34-40 (KJV);
    "When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: . . . Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungered, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me."
    1 Corinthians 3:12-14 (KJV);
    "Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble; Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is. If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward."

Am I building stone fortresses, or sand castles?

God bless each of you -
  5. Woodnut

AMEN !!
    Thanks Terry.
    My castle's won't be built of sand.
  6. ampaterry

Spot on, as Jack would say, Carl!

I just read a story from the Middle Ages about a young woman who was expelled from heaven and told that she would be readmitted if she would bring back the one gift God valued the most. She brought back drops of blood from a dying patriot. She collected coins given by a destitute widow for the poor. She brought back a remnant of a Bible used by an eminent preacher. She even brought back the dust from the shoes of missionaries who served many years in a distant land. Although she brought back these things and more, she was turned back repeatedly.

One day as she watched a small boy playing by a fountain, she saw a man ride up on horseback and dismount to take a drink. When he saw the boy playing, he thought of his own childhood innocence. But he looked into the water of the fountain and saw a reflection of his hardened face. He was overcome by the sin in his life, and in that moment, he wept tears of repentance. The young woman took one of those tears back to heaven, where she was received with joy.

The Word of God tells us the call for repentance is true, in three ways; first, it is true for countries:

2 Chronicles 7:14 (KJV); "If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."

Second, it is true for one individual:

Isaiah 55:7; "Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts: and let him return unto the LORD, and he will have mercy upon him; and to our God, for he will abundantly pardon."

Third, it is true for all, and it is HEARD!

2 Kings 22:19; "Because thine heart was tender, and thou hast humbled thyself before the LORD, when thou heardest what I spake against this place, and against the inhabitants thereof, that they should become a desolation and a curse, and hast rent thy clothes, and wept before me; I also have heard thee, saith the LORD."

The world did not end last week -
    But it could end at any time -
    And there really is a point where it is too late to turn your life around - -

God Bless every one of you -
  7. Woodnut

AMEN !!! Terry, very true words as all of the Bible.
    Thanks for the morning inspiration.
  8. Python

Python Former Guest

Yes, the world as we know it could end at any time. It would be wise to remind ourselves that "The long-suffering of God waited in the days of Noah". But God's patience did not last forever. The flood came. "Today is the day of salvation."

It's beautiful that "God holds our tears in jars". When we cry, God will comfort. I believe this one little verse in the Bible is a powerful statement about eternal life. God saves our tears, forever. God will comfort, forever.
  9. ampaterry

Excellent, Python -
    Honestly, I have never meditated on Psalm 56:8 -
  10. ampaterry

Many people are perplexed when they look at the Pyramids; how could those massive structures have been built by pre-industrial man?
    In more modern examples, I have stood in awe at Mt. Rushmore, and could not imagine how a work of art on such a grand scale could have been made. I have ridden to the top of the St. Louis Arch, and looked out the windows straight down to the ground, with no support in the center of the vast span of metal. If I were asked if such a structure could be built, I would have said no. Judy and I have driven the road through Polychrome Pass in what used to be Mt. McKinley Park, a narrow road that was cut into the face of a vertical cliff for MANY miles. I tried to imagine how that road had been carved in the first place, and I failed.
    I know you have had similar experiences, where you have looked at things that had been built and were in awe of the ones that had actually done the work on them!
    All of these things should be to us a cheering memory when our task is more than usually difficult. If anything ought to be done it shall be done. As Spurgeon said, “With God in front, we shall soon leave difficulties in the rear, transformed into memorials of victory.”

Zechariah 4:6 (KJV); "Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the LORD unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the LORD of hosts."

Luke 18:27 (KJV); "And he said, The things which are impossible with men are possible with God."

1 John 5:4 (KJV); "For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith."

No matter what your task today, brother – no matter what the difficulty of it, sister – with God on your side, you WILL NOT fail!

May God bless each of you as you face difficult things.
  11. Woodnut

AMEN !
    Thanks Terry
    We all have difficult task each and every day, but with God's help we seem to make it through.
    May God Bless.
  12. Just One Shot

Just One Shot New Member

13. ampaterry

My gosh, this is AWESOME!

THANK YOU, Just One Shot!
  14. ampaterry

When we find ourselves among sinful people who respect us, we ought to be particularly careful - even nervous. The hatred of the world, when poured on Christians in the form of persecution, is seldom harmful to our spiritual nature. In fact, it may even be useful at times!
    I once read about a beautiful young woman who had to spend a lot of time traveling for her job. A friend asked her if she ever encountered unwanted advances from men while she was alone on the road. She said she had, but was able to stop them with five simple words: 'Are you a born-again Christian?'.
    For the most part, the world does not want any part of us. But when it DOES, the friendship of the world is always to be suspected. When the servants of the high priest allowed Peter to warm his hands at the fire, had Peter been a wise man, he would have been afraid that evil would come of it. We are disarmed by kindness, but it is never safe to be disarmed in an enemy's country. "Who," says the old proverb, "could live in Rome and yet be at war with the pope?" Who can have much to do with sinners and not have something to do with their sins? All Philistia could not have blinded Samson if Delilah's charms had not deluded him. Our worst foes will be found among our ungodly friends. Those who are false to God are not likely to be true to us.
    Proverbs 12:26 (KJV); "The righteous is more excellent than his neighbour: but the way of the wicked seduceth them."
    There was a couple that contacted me over the internet asking my help in locating a place to live in this area. They said God had directed them specifically to Bethany Church to help them in this quest. Judy located a place for them, and they moved in quite close to us. In the first three days they were here, they asked to borrow money from us, asked us to cash a post-dated check for them, and finally drove here and asked me to hide the truck which the bank was trying to re-possess since they had stopped making payments on it. When I explained that doing that is theft, he argued with me until I threw him out of our home.
    Walk carefully in this world. Not everyone that speaks the name of Jesus is a Christian.

I will talk to you again tomorrow - and may God RICHLY bless you.
  15. Woodnut

AMEN !!
    Very True Terry. There are people out there that will try and use Christianity to their advantage and have never met Jesus, and they are very hard to spot until you have dealing with them.
  16. Just One Shot

Just One Shot New Member

You are welcome! I found it very inspiring.

The thought that comes to mind as I reflect on this video is, we can't fully recognize Jesus and see His glory until we turn around (repent of our sins) and look up to Him for salvation.
  17. Python

Python Former Guest

Matthew 7:21-23..."Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord', will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles? Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

Matthew 5:20..."Unless your righteousness exceeds the righteousness of the scribes and pharisees, you shall in no way enter the kingdom of heaven"

John 3:3...Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God"
  18. Python

Python Former Guest

We have to be Fruit Inspectors.

Matthew 7:20.."Wherefore by their fruits you shall know them"
    Last edited: May 27, 2011
  19. ampaterry

And some who feel it is their duty to cause a Christian to fall, like they view us as a challenge.

Excellent thought, and very true.

I must say, I never thought of it in those words - but so true!!

Devotional for today:

I have always been fascinated by the origins of expressions. Often it is hard to find this, however. The expression “flash in the pan”, for instance, has two very realistic sounding origins.
    The first one goes back to the days of the gold rush. A gold pan is used to test for gold. If it is found there, the larger mining equipment is set up. Sometimes, after the equipment is in, insufficient gold is found to make it worthwhile, and then it was said that this claim was only a “flash in the pan”, without any real deposits to back it up.
    The second one goes back even further, to the days of flintlock firearms. In these arms, the powder and bullet is loaded into the barrel of the weapon, then a small amount of powder was poured into the “pan”, which was located on the outside rear of the barrel. There was a small hole drilled through the barrel from this pan to the inside where the main charge of powder was located. The “hammer” which held the flint was cocked back, and when the trigger was squeezed the hammer fell, striking the flint against a steel plate, and sending a shower of sparks into the pan, igniting the powder in it – and the flash from this went through the hole and into the main powder charge, exploding it and pushing the bullet out of the weapon. Sometimes, the small hole between the pan and the main charge would become clogged, and in those instances the powder in the pan would ignite, but the main charge would not, and the gun would not fire. That was called a “flash in the pan”.
    We don't know which of these explanation is the true origin of this expression. There is no such doubt when we listen to Jesus.
    The Bible speaks often of the importance of truth:
    Psalms 15:1-2 (KJV); "LORD, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill? He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart."
    John 8:32 (KJV); "And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
    We will never know the truth about many things, but we do know the truth when it is spoken by the lips of Jesus Christ! There is no doubt, no ambiguity, no wondering, concerning His words, for he cannot lie!

May God bless each one here, help us to receive the truth, and thereby NONE of us be found to be just a flash in the pan.
  20. ampaterry

Today is Rogation Sunday, a day recognized by Roman Catholic, Anglican and some other churches. The recognition of this day dates back to the fifth century, when this was a time for fasting before Ascension Sunday as repentance for sins and supplication for blessing on the crops. Here in the USA this changed very early in the Colonial period. Each Spring on this day, farmers prayed for a good harvest, and the pastor and congregation would walk from the church into the fields to ask God's blessing on the crops planted there. In the evening, each farmer and his family would walk the borders of their property and give thanks for the land. As they walked, a boy in the family would be bumped into the boundary stones, or dunked into the boundary stream, then he was given a small gift. The purpose of this was to make this child remember the boundaries of the land which he would someday inherit. Neighbors would do this at the same time, each on their own side of the property lines.
    Scripture is very clear on the importance of boundaries:
    Proverbs 22:28 (KJV); Remove not the ancient landmark, which thy fathers have set.
    Deuteronomy 19:14 (KJV); Thou shalt not remove thy neighbour's landmark, which they of old time have set in thine inheritance, which thou shalt inherit in the land that the LORD thy God giveth thee to possess it.
    And how does this apply to us, as Jews or Christians in 2011?
    Some of us may not own property which requires the boundary markers to be recognized and remembered, but we do all have boundary markers. God set them in place, and they are the clear directives of the Law which is given to us. Today, the world is working to obliterate these markers. Sinners wish to run wild and free across the fields of immorality unfettered by any limitation on their activities; if it feels good, DO IT! As the people of God, we are obligated to remember the boundaries of God's law, to honor them, and to abide within them not as prisoners, but as free agents who choose morality over lasciviousness.

May God bless and have mercy on each of us -