Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Re: Chaplains Corner

I truly appreciate th amount of support I have received as Chaplain of TFF. It means a lot to me, guys, and is just the impetus I need to continue these messages each morning.
    THANK YOU!!!

Many folks seem to get themselves into trouble on a regular basis. Most of the trouble we are in is of our own doing, actually. We are broke because we did not plan for a future rainy day, we are sick because we did not take good enough care of ourselves, our marriage is not good because we failed to put the proper time and effort into it, our job is unsatisfying because we never spent the time needed get into a career we could enjoy, and so on.
    Are you good at getting yourself into trouble? Today, let's look at some old proverbs on the topic of 'trouble':

Proverbs 15:16 (KJV);
    "Better is little with the fear of the LORD than great treasure and trouble therewith."
    Proverbs 13:17 (KJV);
    "A wicked messenger falleth into mischief: but a faithful ambassador is health."
    Proverbs 15:6 (NCV);
    "Much wealth is in the houses of good people, but evil people get nothing but trouble."

And now let's look at some NEW proverbs on getting into trouble:
    There is an upside to always having your foot in your mouth; at least you are able to make ends meet.
    It's better to sleep on something before doing it, than to do it wrong and stay awake worrying about it.
    The trouble with being a grouch is that you have to make new friends every few months.

So what do you plan to do about it? If you find yourself in trouble, and just keep up the same old actions that brought you to this state, where do you think you will be tomorrow? Remember that one definition of insanity is to perform the same actions, over and over, and expect to get different results. If you don’t like where you are AT, then change what you are doing.

God Bless each and every one of you, guys -
  2. Woodnut

Woodnut Forum Sponsor Supporting Member

AMEN !! Thanks Terry. I do very much appreciate what you are doing as Chaplain of the TFF forum. It is such a good way to start the day, reading your words, then the scripture.
    Many thanks my friend.
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Terry , i'm my own worst enemy that way
    but i figured The Good Lord wanted me this way ;)

in Proverbs in reference to that Terry, I like

14:23 All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty.

Thanks Terry , You get me thinking every night before i hit the sack

not a bad way to crash ;)
  4. Juker

Juker New Member

Amen, brothers. So much of Paul's writings revolve around a core principle: You're a Christian, so act like one! It is far too easy to waste one's life consumed with fear and worry and anger.

Years ago my pastor made a simple statement that has stuck with me always: People shouldn't be surprised to find out you're saved.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." (Matthew 5:16, KJV)
  5. ampaterry

We all know folks that make much of their piety and devotion. They show up at church on Sunday in their finery, sing hymns and praise God with the group, but outside of those walls one would never guess they were a Christian. They are found in places and in activities which a Christian has no business being involved in. Their language is unsuitable, and their desires are of a low sort. There religion is for show only! This is not a modern phenomenon, however.

Over five hundred years ago, Louis XI made a donation to the Virgin Mary of the whole country of Boulogne. The problem was, he retained the revenue of the country for his own use! A solemn deed was drawn up, signed, sealed, and delivered, and it bears the date 1478. What a ridiculous farce! The instrument gives away absolutely nothing at all!

The Word of God addresses this duplicity, this lack of TRUE devotion:

Isaiah 29:13-14 (GWT);
    "The Lord says, "These people worship me with their mouths and honor me with their lips. But their hearts are far from me, and their worship of me is based on rules made by humans. That is why I am going to do something completely amazing for these people once again. The wisdom of their wise people will disappear. The intelligence of their intelligent people will be hidden.""

These folks are just muddling around with God. They are not committed for Him, neither are they opposed to Him. It is these which Jesus said would be better off if they were either cold or hot, but since they are just lukewarm, he will vomit them out!

Make a commitment to God, Brother – Make Jesus the Lord of your life, Sister – for until you are wholeheartedly committed to Him, you are just playing games – and the stakes are far beyond any which you can afford to loose.
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

yep lot's of submarine Christians Terry

just gotta make sure we aint one of em

good reminder mate , Cheers!
  7. Woodnut

AMEN !
    And Thanks again Terry for those wonderful words of wisdom.
  8. ampaterry

I talk a great deal about our armed forces. I speak of their bravery and sacrifice, how they risk their lives for you and for me, and how they do it for so little pay. We also know that members of the armed forces subject themselves to a chain of command that can place them in peril at any moment, and from which they have virtually no respite. To make matters even worse, they are under constant control by rules and regulations which change at irregular intervals concerning when it is OK to use the weapon they carry. All of that is so very true, and God Bless every member of our fighting forces. They are the reason we live in safety here in our country.
    But today is a different day entirely. Today, we recognize a completely different group of men and women who have lost their lives because they put themselves in an almost identical set of circumstances, yet did it here in our own country. Today is Peace Officers Memorial Day, a day set aside in by President John F. Kennedy in 1962 to recognize the sacrifice of the law enforcement people in our country that have lost their lives or become disabled in the line of duty. We owe these people every bit as much respect and gratitude as we do those that have served in the armed forces. In reality, these people ARE in the armed forces. They face evil every day in a completely different form! The evil these people face every day are from people in our country that are indistinguishable from the rest of us; they wear no uniform. So, not only do our peace officers have to risk their lives in combating our enemies, but they must first determine WHO the enemy is! God bless every member of our peace officer agencies at city, county, state and federal levels.
    Lord, we ask that you would watch over all peace officers today. We ask for your blessing and comfort to every person that has lost a loved one performing this service for the rest of us. We ask that you would help each one of us to recognize that these men and women deserve our respect, our gratitude, and our love as they perform their duties. And we ask all of these things in the name of Jesus the Christ, the Son of the Living God.

God bless every one of us, and keep us safe -
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Amen
  10. Woodnut

AMEN!!

What would this world be without them.
  11. J.D. Bass

J.D. Bass New Member

Thanks to ampaterry for the great work. Side Bar: shouldn't the "Chaplains Corner" have its own forum? Then it could have Sub categories and sub topic discussions and so forth. Just a thought. Maybe this has been covered somewhere in this thread?
    But again....I've really enjoyed it.
  12. ampaterry

I appreciate that, guys!

JD, I could do that, but it would be rather self-agrandizing if I set it up. I will continue as is and if the other admin's think it is a good idea they can ring in on it.
    In any event, I thank you for the kind words of support -
  13. Juker

Juker New Member

Thanks for this, Terry. My father was greatly influenced in his childhood by his grandfather, a sheriff murdered in the line of duty in the early 1940s. Dad still speaks of it as if it happened yesterday.
  14. Airdale

Airdale Active Member

I second J.D.'s suggestion.
  15. ampaterry

In my Creation-Evolution discussion group, Talk About Origins, I have had Atheists make the charge that modern Christians have nothing to complain about. They claim that the REAL persecution of Christianity was long long ago in a land far far away, and modern Christians that speak of trials and tribulations are simply not being realistic and honest.

What do you think? Do you, as a Christian, feel persecuted? Do you look at the court ruling that forced Judge Roy Moore to remove the ten commandments monument from the court house, and say Christians are not persecuted? Do you look at the numerous court rulings that have forced various states to recognize Gay marriages as legitimate and feel that your beliefs are not under attack? Do you look at the public school system, that is allowed to teach the religion of evolution while being barred from mentioning even the possibility of Creation, and NOT feel your beliefs are being discriminated against?

In spite of claims to the contrary, Christians ARE being persecuted today! To be sure, in our country at this time we are not being fed to the lions. We are not being burned at the stake. We are not having our homes and property confiscated. But we ARE being persecuted in a myriad of ways. The thing each one of us needs to answer is 'how are we being persecuted and what am I going to do about it?'

Jesus told us in Matthew 16:18 (KJV);“And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.”

And again in John 16:33 (KJV);“These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”

A government leader in the USSR who worked to end Christianity was upset by the amount of resistance he received from them, and said:
    "Religion is like a nail. The harder you hit it the deeper it goes into the wood."

May God bless and strengthen each one of us -