Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Thank you for the support, guys -
    When a devotional spurs a conversation, it shows me that it is not only being read, but has been pondered upon as well.

I have many memories of my youth that involve WWII. I remember my older brother having a dream that Adolph Hitler was caught in a fence next to our property, and he was trying to beat him to death before he could get untangled. My oldest sister was dating a soldier, and military uniforms were common around our home. I remember some soldiers building a cart for me from a crate and pushomg it around the yard with me sitting inside driving it. Using my middle name, they painted “Joe's Jeep” on the side of it. I remember the smell of the air when wearing a gas mask, the feel of the silk in a parachute, and I remember the weight of a de-milled bazooka rocket.

When I started school, we observed every special day with some kind of activity to help us remember it. On this day, May 1st, we celebrated “May Day.” We would take baskets outside and gather wild flowers into them which we would use to make decorations. When I came home from school, my parents were never too enthused about this celebration, and I could not understand why. Then as I grew older, I discovered that May Day was a holiday in Russia to honor the struggle of the workers for better conditions against the evil capitalist business owners. Today, nothing would be done abut this celebration going on in the public schools, but I grew up in a different era with different standards than we have today. President Eisenhower, in 1958, countered this glorification of Communism by proclaiming this date as Law Day. Since Law Day did not catch on too well, he designated the same date the following year to also be Loyalty Day.

Loyalty Day is defined as follows in 36 U.S.C. § 115:
    Purpose.— Loyalty Day is a special day for the reaffirmation of loyalty to the United States and for the recognition of the heritage of American freedom.
    Proclamation.— The President is requested to issue a proclamation—
    (1) calling on United States Government officials to display the flag of the United States on all Government buildings on Loyalty Day; and
    (2) inviting the people of the United States to observe Loyalty Day with appropriate ceremonies in schools and other suitable places.

Lets do an experiment today. Lets count how many times you hear reference to Loyalty Day on any news outlet.
    My money is on slim-to-none.

May God richly bless each one of you this day.
  2. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

Terry I think loyalty to our country has gone the way of common courtesy and common sense. It is rare. We all remember 9/11/01 and because of the attacks we all came together. Two weeks later that bond was gone and people got back to their lives. I often tell people that in my lifetime I can only think of a few instances when the whole country has come together for a good event. The flights of Shepard and Glenn, Apollo 11, our POWs coming home from Hanoi, the 1980 olympic hockey team and darn few others. Me, I'm the kind of guy that still gets choked up when they play the national anthem.:)
  3. ampaterry

So do I, Pipeman. Yesterday at K-Mart, I felt tears well up when looking at a new line of patriotic Tee-shirts.
    I feel like the last dinosaur must have felt as his breed became extinct.

For today, I have a story I found that was told by Ken Trivett many years ago.

In the early years of his ministry, Dr. George W. Truett took the following verse as his text for a morning's message:

Matthew 18:19 (KJV);
    Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.

Having quoted his text, Dr. Truett asked: "Do you believe it?"
    Of course he did not expect an answer, but one was forthcoming nevertheless.

As he paused for a moment that his question might be understood, a very poor member of the congregation, poor in this world's goods but rich in faith, rose to her feet. "I believe it, pastor," she said, "and I want you to claim that promise with me."

"It staggered me," said the pastor. "I knew I did not have the faith to claim the promise, but before I had time to answer, a big, burly blacksmith in the congregation rose to his feet; 'I'll claim that promise with you, Auntie,' he said, and together the two, the poor washer-woman and the blacksmith, dropped to their knees in the aisle and poured out their hearts in prayer for the salvation of the woman's husband."

Now it happened that this man was a riverboat captain on the Rio Grande, a swearing, foul-mouthed drunken sot, and he was at that moment sleeping off a drink at home.
    That night, for the first time in many years at least, the old riverboat captain was in the church and while the pastor preached the woman prayed, not for the salvation of her husband, rather she was thanking God for it, for she seemed to know it would happen that night.
    And of course, when the invitation was given, this old foul-mouthed captain came to give his heart to the Lord, and he became one of the most dependable and faithful workers in that church.

How about you? Do you believe it? REALLY believe it? You should!

May God bless each one of you -
  4. sub-moa

sub-moa Member

Vengeance is like a pail with a hole in it.... it promises only emptiness.:(
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

i get the quotation , i dont get it's placement here , now

wanna educate me ?
  6. ampaterry

My msg on forgiveness on 4/30 brought some discussion, and I am sure this is what sub-moa was addressing, Jack -
    And it is a good point, too -

An ancient Chinese proberb says
    "When beginning a journey of vengence, start by digging two graves; one for your enemy and one for yourself."

On the other hand, it feels SO good to smack someone who so desperately deserves it -
  7. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

this always leads me to ask , what is vengence? but i dont think this is the thread to discuss it, and i have a very different aspect from most ..

and most Christian folks in know shrink from it bigtime ..
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
  8. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Like Jesus said in Matt. 17:20 He replied, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”

But in this world, I all too often fall way short on that score.

Patriotism is also a rare commodity in the UK, and it grieves me.

Thanks, Terry.
    Last edited: May 2, 2012
  9. ampaterry

Today is the National Day of Prayer here in the US.

A day set aside for prayer as a nation was first called for by the Continental Congress in 1775.

John Adams called for one on May 9th, 1798.

Lincoln called for one on April 30th, 1863, at which time he said "...it is the duty of nations as well as of men, to own their dependence upon the overruling power of God, to confess their sins and transgressions, in humble sorrow, yet with assured hope that genuine repentance will lead to mercy and pardon; and to recognize the sublime truth, announced in the Holy Scriptures and proven by all history, that those nations only are blessed whose God is the Lord."

On April 17, 1952, President Harry S. Truman signed a bill proclaiming a National Day of Prayer must be declared by each following president at an appropriate date of his choice.

In his 1983 declaration, Ronald Reagan said, "From General Washington's struggle at Valley Forge to the present, this Nation has fervently sought and received divine guidance as it pursued the course of history. This occasion provides our Nation with an opportunity to further recognize the source of our blessings, and to seek His help for the challenges we face today and in the future."

In 1988, the law was amended so that the National Day of Prayer would be held on the first Thursday of May.

Presidents Reagan, George H. W and George W. Bush all hosted special events at the white house on the national day of prayer. President Clinton did not held any such events, and thus far neither has President Obama. Both presidents did, however, issue the annual proclamation of this day, as required by the law which was passed in 1952.

We should pray often:
    1 Chronicles 16:11 (KJV);
    Seek the LORD and his strength, seek his face continually.

But it is good for us, as a nation, to have one special day on which we can all join together and seek the blessings of God on our nation, and the influence and directing of God for our leaders.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 (KJV);
    If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

May God bless each one of you, and may He bless the country we live in - wherever in the world we are living.
  10. cutter

cutter New Member

[QUOTE: Lincoln called for one on April 30th, 1863, at which time he said "...it is the duty of nations as well as of men, to own their dependence upon the overruling power of God, to confess their sins and transgressions, in humble sorrow, yet with assured hope that genuine repentance will lead to mercy and pardon; and to recognize the sublime truth, announced in the Holy Scriptures and proven by all history, that those nations only are blessed whose God is the Lord."

I truly believe this is why our country is so far off track. If you seek the Lords way you will have humility, morals and ethics. Things will not change untill we have and hold those values. Patriotism wil naturally will be there with these values. God has changed my life in so many good ways, I have had a change of life illness and it has opened so many doors that I don't think I would have stepped through with out Gods help :)
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
  11. BlackEagle

Amen, Terry.
    Prayer for our countries is one of the best ways to show patriotism.
  12. ampaterry

There is an ancient legend that Abraham invited into his tent a man, who at mealtime gave no thanks to God for His mercy. Whereupon the patriarch drove him forth into the desert unfed and unsheltered.

But in the night God touched Abraham and awoke him, saying to him, "Where is the stranger?"

Abraham said, "When he did not fear you, nor thank you, I drove him forth."

God rebuked him, saying, "Who made you his judge: I have borne with him all these years. Could you not bear with him one night? Have you learned nothing from my mercy to you?”

How about you, Christian?
    Do you look down your nose at the people at the next table in the restaurant who do not bow their heads over their food before they eat it? Do you pass judgment on those you see driving past the church on Sunday with a speed boat on a trailer, heading for the lake? Do you look at those who do not have their windows filled with Christmas decorations in December and decide that they simply are not worth bothering with, since they are obviously not Christians?
    That is not for you to decide. Remember this old legend; God has been with you your entire life and has never given up on you, so you can find the strength to put up with people for the brief period that you are called upon to do, and treat them civilly. How can you claim the promise of God’s everlasting love if you cannot even do this for your fellow man?
    Jesus told us:

Mark 12:29-31 (KJV);
    And Jesus answered him, The first of all the commandments is, Hear, O Israel; The Lord our God is one Lord: And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.

May God bless each one of us with the desire for civility, and patience with the idiots He asks us to deal with.
  13. nightwalker

nightwalker New Member

Like the Book says, who are we not to forgive, when we've been forgiven so much. If it weren't for God'a grace I'd still be in the dark, too.
  14. BlackEagle

The religious people of the day tried to put Jesus down because He spent time with the sinners. His response was that He came to seek and to save the lost. The (spiritually) "healthy" people didn't need the physician, it was the (spiritually) sick and dying that He came to help.

Thanks, Terry
  15. Krogen

Krogen Member

"God rebuked him, saying, "Who made you his judge: I have borne with him all these years. Could you not bear with him one night? Have you learned nothing from my mercy to you?”

Wow. Thanks for today's message Terry. It caught my attention like a bop on the noggin. I read it and thought, man.... I've got some room for improvement. A real eye opener.

Terry, you clearly have a gift for directing God's word to us in a straightforward, practical manner. Routinely, your writings apply directly to my day-to-day life. It is very much appreciated. I believe God is using you to further His plan.

May God bless you and yours.

Krogen