Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Guys, I really appreciate your support in this thread. Your words of encouragement mean a great deal to me.

Krogan, I would be downright amazed if I did not understand that we are ALL tuned to the same broadcast - -

Little Raymond returned home from Sunday school in a joyous mood.

“My,” his mother said. “You certainly must have enjoyed Sunday School today!

”Oh, Mother," he exclaimed with obvious pleasure, "The superintendent said something awfully nice about me in his prayer today."

"Isn't that wonderful!" said the mother. "What did he say?"

He said, "Oh Lord, we thank Thee for food and Raymond," replied the lad.

Well, little Raymond had never heard the word ‘Raiment’ before, and I am sure his mother told him what the superintendent really said in his prayer. I am sure that little Raymond was sorely disappointed to discover his error.
    But there is a real application in this little story. What a wonderful thing indeed it is to even imagine that someone is thanking God for us! We have all had those special times when we are impressed to do something for someone else; we may feel that God told us to do it, that the Holy Spirit led us to do it, or that we just felt that we should do it. Often times, we don’t think about it at all – we just do it and go on. Often, we will never discover how much our small help meant to the person involved. But then again, there are very special times when we learn later just how much our reaching out a hand actually meant to someone when they were in need. At such times, we should drop our head, and thank God for using such an imperfect tool as we are to accomplish something good.

The Word of God tells us to walk the walk, not just talk the talk:
    1 John 3:17-18 (KJV);
    But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, how dwelleth the love of God in him? My little children, let us not love in word, neither in tongue; but in deed and in truth.

Again, guys, thank you for the support -
    And may God bless each and every one of you -
  2. Krogen

Krogen Member

Yep. Definitely the same broadcast. I just appreciate that you tune the channel, sharpen the picture and adjust the volume. (grin)

Krogen
  3. ampaterry

Krogen, sometimes I need to twist the rabbit ears, too - - -
    LOL!!

Nurses Week begins today and runs through May 12th, the birthday of Florence Nightengale. Today, the first day of Nurses Week, has been designated as Nurses Day. The opinions of nurses very widely, probably depending on what kind of nursing care you have received.

Some folks remember the one who had to stab them eight times with a dull needle before they could find a vein to get a blood sample.

Others remember the smile, the warm and comforting words, and the complete assurance they felt that they were in excellent hands.

Confucius said “Man who want pretty nurse must be patient!”
    I can say with perfect assurance that the looks of a nurse mean nothing when you need medical care.

W.C.Fields said “After two days in the hospital, I took a turn for the nurse!”
    I can say with similar assurance that if your thoughts are on wooing your nurse, you are not very sick.

Dag Hammarskjold said “Constant attention by a good nurse may be just as important as a major operation by a surgeon.”
    At last, we have a quote that actually fits what nurses are all about. They are highly trained care givers whose purpose is to bring comfort to people who are not in a good mood since they are either sick or injured.

God speaks condemnation against those who do not bring comfort to the sick:
    Ezekiel 34:4 (KJV);
    “The diseased have ye not strengthened, neither have ye healed that which was sick, neither have ye bound up that which was broken . . .”

This condemnation makes it clear that God desires that we strengthen the diseased, heal the sick and bind up that which is broken. This is is a very good description of what a nurse does, don't you think?

If you know any nurses, give them a call today and thank them for the work they do. And even if you do not know any, we can all include nurses in our prayers this day, asking that God bless them for the work they do.

And may God bless each and every one of you -
  4. ampaterry

A crowded gathering of distinguished scientists had been listening spellbound to an excellent presentation by Michael Faraday. For an hour he had held his brilliant audience enthralled as he demonstrated the nature and properties of the magnet. Faraday was one of the pioneers in investigation of magnetism, and was the foremost authority on it in his day. His accomplishments were so great that the unit of measure of capacitance was named after him; the Farad. He had brought his lecture to a close with an experiment so novel, so bewildering, and so triumphant, that for some time after he resumed his seat, the house rocked with enthusiastic applause.

The Prince of Wales—afterwards King Edward VII—rose to propose a motion of congratulations. The resolution, having been duly seconded, was carried with renewed thunders of applause.

Suddenly the uproar ceased and a strange silence settled over the audience. The assembly waited for Faraday's reply.

The room was silent. Faraday did not appear.

Only his most intimate friends knew what had become of him. He was an elder in a little church about the size of Bethany. As soon as Faraday had concluded his lecture, he had hurriedly departed the lecture hall in order to get to his church before the prayer meeting started.

Where are the Faraday’s today? One can peruse the halls of academia today in vain searching for a dedicated Christian. We have entered an era in which Science and Christianity are viewed as being on opposite sides of a dividing wall, and that perception is completely wrong. The greatest scientists the world has ever known understood completely that they were investigating the creation of almighty God, and seeking to understand the principles along which he had set all things into motion.

The Word of God tells us what to do when the words of a scientist are contrary to the words of God:
    1 Timothy 6:20-21 (KJV);
    O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called: Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

My friend Prof. John Davison died last Thursday, and I would appreciate your prayers for his family.
    John was a distinguished scientist with the highest qualifications in the field of Biology, and he exposed the gross errors in Darwinism because he understood fully that life does not come from non-life through any possible natural process, and he understood completely that complex systems can not develop on their own through any natural process. Prof. Davisons scientific work did NOT contradict the plain words of God. And such a scientist is rare today in a world where scientists speak atheism in order to be PC.

May God bless each one of you -
  5. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

with all the technology for spying on folks like tempest and the like Mr Faraday left behind a thing strangly one he did patent then withfrew leaving it open but unclaimable in the future

the faraday cage

an impenetrable barrier to electronic eve's dropping ..
  6. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Science is God's area. He created everything we as scientists study, and He has hidden things for us to discover and put to use. It's part of his mandate to Adam and Eve to "fill the earth and subdue it". It's interesting to see how far people had progressed in science, the arts, and other areas, before the flood--in the first few generations of man's existance on this earth, the first five chapters of Genesis. Satan has infiltrated science, and everything else he can to spoil it, twist it, and pervert God's creation.
  7. ampaterry

And how do we LEARN those things?
    Education.
    And our formal education we get in school.
    And this, the first full week in May, is designated Teacher Appreciation Week, and Tuesday of that week – today – is National Teachers Day. Everyone has memories of certain teachers. Some remember the teacher as the ugly woman with a ruler that cracked their knuckles for no good reason. Some remember the beautiful lady they had a secret crush on, who helped them understand all things. Some remember the guy who thought all boys should learn how to fight, so staged fights in the back of the room. Some remember the one who, when caught in an error, would fly into a rage over it. Personally, I remember one of each of these.

But think about it. The Teacher today stands in the gap between the parents who want one thing and the government that often demands the opposite. They are faced with a classroom in which the majority of students have never had any discipline whatsoever, and do not understand the meaning of “No!” They are pushed by one faction to crack on the kids and keep them in line and by another faction to allow them to express themselves in any way they choose. They stand in the gap between those who demand they never mention reproduction and those who expect them to teach the kids how to use a condom. And they do all of this for below average pay.
    Arnold Toynbee, in A Study of History said that we are “never more than one generation from barbarism". That is because every child is born a barbarian, and must be educated into becoming a civilized person. We depend on the teachers to perform this miraculous transformation.

Remember that teacher that had such a positive effect on your life? Think about them today. If you can, give them a call or send them a card or e-mail, and say “Thank you!” for what they did for you.

Remember that teacher who treated you completely unfairly? It is your duty as a Christian to forgive them.

Scripture speaks often of the importance of education:
    Proverbs 19:20 (KJV);
    Hear counsel, and receive instruction, that thou mayest be wise in thy latter end.

Thank you, Miss Serino, for engendering in me an unquenchable desire to learn. Were it possible, I would give you a hug this morning.

And Mrs. Guthrie, I forgive you for being a sadist who had no business dealing with children. Were it possible, I would send you a glass of ice water, as I am sure you could use it in your present location.

There I go again - -

May God bless all teachers today, and each person here.
  8. cutter

cutter New Member

When I went back to my 30 yr reunion, I looked up quite a few teachers and coaches that were still around! It was actually the highlight of my trip! I had an English Lit teacher who lived a block from where we lived. She used her own time to help me read better and it opened up a whole new word for me. She is one that I will never forget!!! My wife and I stayed and talked for 2 hrs, she actually told me that comming by and telling her that made her year instead of day! If you have the chance to tell your former teachers how they helped you please do, it is worth the effort!!:):):):)
  9. ampaterry

Cutter is right, guys -
    I waited too long - they are all gone now.

For today:

What do you do when you are in trouble? Who do you turn to when you are besieged on every side by those that seek to harm you? In an emergency, do you look for glass to break, as the old fire-alarms used to say?

As Christians, we are to follow the example of Jesus Christ; He shows us what we are supposed to be doing. What did He do in every such situation? He prayed! Prayer was not just his regular habit, but his resort in every emergency, however small or great. When perplexed he prayed. When hard pressed by work he prayed. When hungry for fellowship he communed with our Father in prayer. He chose his associates and received his messages through communication in prayer. When he was tempted, he prayed. When he found himself criticized, he prayed. On those occasions when he was fatigued in body or wearied in spirit, his one unfailing habit was prayer. Prayer brought him unmeasured power at the beginning, and kept the flow unbroken and undiminished throughout his ministry here on this earth. There was no emergency, no difficulty, no need, no temptation that would not yield to prayer for Jesus then, nor for us today.

Just a few of the times that Jesus prayed were:

Mark 1:35 (KJV);
    "And in the morning, rising up a great while before day, he went out, and departed into a solitary place, and there prayed."

Mark 6:46 (KJV);
    "And when he had sent them away, he departed into a mountain to pray."

Luke 5:16 (KJV);
    "And he withdrew himself into the wilderness, and prayed."

And, on the final night before the time of his suffering and death, he prayed again in
    Luke 22:41-42 (KJV);
    "And he was withdrawn from them about a stone's cast, and kneeled down, and prayed, Saying, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done."

How about you?
    When do you pray?
    Only when the world is falling apart, or upon every occasion possible?

May God bless you, guys -
  10. BlackEagle

Thanks for the reminder, Terry.

Teachers have played an important part in my life...Mom was a teacher. She was one of those firm but fair ones, and at one time was putting over half the grades on her students' report cards.

Nurses have played an important part in my life...my wife is the equivalent of an RN with the additional training to be a midwife, which puts her on about the same level as a Physician's Assistant.

David also set the pace in praying, and the Psalms he wrote are his prayers. They cover a the entire gamut of situations and emotions, and do so in a way God approves. We can't go far wrong in reading, or singing, God's words back to him as a prayer.
  11. reflex1

reflex1 Active Member

Thank Terry - gotta share this one with a friend!
  12. BlackEagle

PS... Psalm 27 is one example of what to pray
  13. ampaterry

Thank you, guys, for the support here!

Today is another special day: Lag B-Omer, a day of observance in Judaism. It is a bit complicated, but I will attempt to give an explanation of what this day signifies. First off, “Lag” is not a word, but a number; 33. Hebrew letters are assigned values so they can be used for numbers as well as for words, similar to the way that I could use MIX as the number 1009, utilizing Roman Numerals. It might be even more confusing in that case, because MIX is a perfectly good English word!
    So Lag B-Omer actually means the 33rd of Omer. What is Omer?

Leviticus 23:15 (KJV);
    And ye shall count unto you from the morrow after the sabbath, from the day that ye brought the sheaf of the wave offering; seven sabbaths shall be complete:

The Jewish people count these days, from Passover to Shavuot (the day of the giving of the Torah). This is a time of mourning among them, because this is the period during which the Jewish people waited at the base of Mt. Sinai for the return of Moses with the Talmud; a period when they failed to 'keep the faith'. On the second day of Passover, a measure of Barley was cut and brought to the temple as an offering. The name of this unit of measure was “Omer”, and this is the reason they named this period of numbering as Omer. Today is the 33rd day of this numbering.
    OK, now WHY do they take note of this day?

Rabbi Akiba was one of the greatest Rabbi's recorded in the Talmud, and he had many students. A plague came to them during the counting of the Omer, and after thousands of them had died, the 33rd day of the Omer was free of further deaths.

Some say this day is when Manna was first found in the desert during the Exodus.

For whatever reason, today is the only day in the entire counting of the Omer which is free from mourning. Tomorrow, the solemnity returns until the 49 day, the completion of the count.

Let us, each one, pray for the Jewish people today. They are the ROOT from which Christianity has spring. They are the good olive tree, we are just grafted into it! Read Romans chapter 11 -
    That is homework. And there just MIGHT be a pop-quiz on it later - -

May God bless each one of you, guys -
  14. ampaterry

Today, I want to talk a little bit about our health. Many dietary experts today tell us to eat less meat and more fruits and vegetables. I have been known to disagree with the ‘experts’ on many things, and this is no exception.

Hebrews 5:12-14 (KJV);
    For when for the time ye ought to be teachers, ye have need that one teach you again which be the first principles of the oracles of God; and are become such as have need of milk, and not of strong meat. For every one that useth milk is unskilful in the word of righteousness: for he is a babe. But strong meat belongeth to them that are of full age, even those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

This is saying that many people who have had every opportunity to grow in the Lord have not done so; many should be out witnessing and teaching others, but instead they are still requiring witnessing and teaching themselves! They should have been weaned onto meat by now, but instead are still only able to handle milk. Delve into the Word of God! Read your bible! Listen to good bible based preaching! Meditate on Gods teachings! Begin the process of weaning yourself from a milk diet of only those nice warm fuzzy feeling teachings, and get into the strong meat of the Lord!

Now, stepping out of the spiritual, let me say a few words about our physical diet. I have lived long enough to see many foods get listed as bad for you, while at other times those same foods get listed as good for you. Remember the “no salt” push a few years ago, and the resultant disaster of manufacturing a baby food with zero salt in it? One group says raw vegetables, while another says some nutrients in them cannot be utilized by us unless they are cooked.
    In the meat vs vegetable debate for weight control, I have to look at the animal kingdom. Rabbits are vegetarian. Lions are carnivors. How many skinny rabbits and fat lions do you see?
    Seriously, we need a diet that utilizes all the foods given to us by God, and does so in a moderate manner.

And stepping back into the spiritual, we cannot overendulge on the things of God.

May God bless each one of you -
  15. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

Terry I could not agree more. Give me a 1-1/2" thick ribeye any day over the Tofu equivalent.