Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

Yep keep your powder dry and the good book(s):D handy for guidance
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Praise the Lord -

And pass the ammunition -
  3. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

4. ampaterry

There is a story about a man who had to cross a wide river on the ice. He was afraid it might be too thin, so he began to crawl on his hand and knees in great terror. He thought he might fall through at any moment. Just as he neared the opposite shore, all exhausted, another man glided past him nonchalantly sitting on a sled loaded with pig iron.
    That story reminds me of a story Dad related to me about an event in Havana, IL, the town he grew up in. There was a daredevil diver who came to town to dive into the river off of the Havana bridge, which was pretty high. He had photographers all around and a boat waiting to pick him up in the river below. For his safety, he wore a tight fitting diving suit, goggles, and a leather helmet. With great fanfare, prayers for his safety, and much talk of the dangers of the feat, he stepped to the edge of the bridge, flourished to the crowd, and dove off. While he was still in the air, a dozen local boys, all teens and under, dove from all over the bridge. Some dove from the steel girders much higher than the dare-evil had. He hit the water, surfaced, and the boat immediately helped him aboard. The local boys all swam to shore on their own. The great diver left town without a further word.
    How like some Christians! Headed for Heaven, they tremble at every step lest the divine promises break under their feet. By resting completely upon the Lord and taking His promises at face value, we can drive out the paralyzing fear that hinders our effectiveness in serving Christ. We can dive from the heights into the depths without fear!

Isaiah 12:2 (KJV);
    “Behold, God is my salvation; I will trust, and not be afraid: for the LORD JEHOVAH is my strength and my song; he also is become my salvation.”
    1 John 4:18 (KJV);
    “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.”
    Psalm 27:1 - (KJV); (one of my personal favorite verses!)
    “The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?”

May God bless each one of you with boldness -
  5. Krogen

Krogen Member

Thanks for that one, Terry. Doubt seems to creep into my head now and then. As you say above: "divine promises." Why do we second guess? The one who would take us down looks for any crevice to get into. Sometimes I need a doink on the head to remember they are indeed divine promises.

Krogen
  6. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks, Terry;
    Yesterday's: The NT equivalent could be found in Matthew 6:19-21-
    “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

Or the time Jesus sent the disciples out without extra money; trusting God to cover their needs.

Today...makes me think of Proverbs 28:1--The wicked flee when no one pursues,
    but the righteous are bold as a lion.

Joshua could be bold in his leadership because his commission came from God: Joshua 1:9

We can be bold because our commission comes from Jeuss: Matt. 28:18.
  7. IShootBack

IShootBack Well-Known Member

Me as well. Also need a daily reminder that Jesus said that we'd do great things in his name, using his power.
  8. ampaterry

Thank you, guys, for the support - it means a lot to me to read your comments!

For today:

Have you stopped to count the blessings in your life lately? Many of us have a tendency to focus on what's wrong, which gives us a distorted picture of life. Every day, we can pick up a newspaper, or turn on TV, or listen to a radio, and we will find no shortage at all of DIRE predictions for the future! Our economy is in shambles, we have global warming, there is a threat of nuclear winter, the oceans are rising, we are running out of water, we are running out of oil and we – well, you know how it goes!

Listen to this piece by Barry Siegel:
    Consider what some scientists predict. If everyone keeps stacking National Geographics in garages and attics instead of throwing them away, the magazines' weight will sink the continent 100 feet sometime soon and we will all be inundated by the oceans.

If the number of microscope specimen slides submitted to one St. Louis hospital lab continues to increase at its current rate, that metropolis will be buried under three feet of glass by the year 2224.

If beachgoers keep returning home with as much sand clinging to them as they do now, 80% of the country's coastline will disappear in 10 years....

Pickles cause cancer, communism, airline tragedies, auto accidents and crime waves. About 99.9% of cancer victims had eaten pickles sometime in their lives.... So have 100% of all soldiers, 96.8% of communist sympathizers and 99.7% of those involved in car and air accidents. Moreover, those born in 1839 who ate pickles have suffered a 100% mortality rate. And rats force-fed 20 pounds of pickles a day for a month ended up with bulging abdomens and loss of appetite.

Matt 5:45 (KJV);
    “That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.”

When you hear those kinds of predictions, remember those kinds of promises; we are the children of the most high, and HE is in control!

May God bless you, guys -
  9. targetacqmgt

targetacqmgt New Member

I like that Psalm- thanks Terry for posting it.
  10. BlackEagle

Very interesting pickles studies, Terry. Thanks.

Ephesians 1 describes Christ's position and the power and authority He has. v22-23 is the climax:
    22 And he put all things under his feet and gave him as head over all things to the church, 23 which is his body, the fullness of him who fills all in all.

I tend to translate it "over all things for the church" because the grammar allows it and it makes better sense...for the benefit of the church.

Also Romans 8, the last part. No matter what is happening around us, God is in control and it's for our good.

Terry, you stimulate my thoughts. Thanks.
  11. ampaterry

This is an editorial piece: "It is a gloomy moment in the history of our country. Not in the lifetime of most men has there been so much grave and deep apprehension; never has the future seemed so incalculable as at this time. The domestic economic situation is in chaos. Our dollar is weak throughout the world. Prices are so high as to be utterly impossible. The political cauldron seethes and bubbles with uncertainty. It is a solemn moment of our troubles. No man can see the end."

I believe all of us would agree that this is a fairly accurate account of the state of our nation today.

Those folks living on investments have watched the DOW plummet and are worried about their income.

All of us are watching the gas pump and wondering how much more we can pay for a gallon of gas.

We all make grave decisions at the desks where we pay our bills;
    “Which do I pay NOW, and which can I put off until NEXT payday?”

We make grave decisions at K-Mart;
    “Do I buy this pair of pants for work, or do I get enough oil to change it in the car next week?”

We make grave decisions at the grocery store;
    “Do I buy a case of beans, or do I buy that Ham that looks so good? We haven’t had ham in MONTHS!”

Yes, surely we cannot survive much longer at this rate, can we? But wait – what is the date on that editorial piece again? It is from Harper's Weekly in October 1857. How did we survive the LAST 155 years??

Luke 21:8 (KJV);
    “And he said, Take heed that ye be not deceived: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near: go ye not therefore after them.”

The present world system WILL end; it will end when God deems the time right for it to end! And it will be replaced! There will be a new heaven and a new earth created, and we can live together with Jesus Christ in them for ETERNITY!!

Meanwhile – Go for the beans; ham is bad for you.
  12. BlackEagle

Matthew 6:19-34 helps keep me from panicking. We are God's servants, and He provides for His us as we serve him.

From the Amen corner. :)
  13. Krogen

Krogen Member

Terry, you're quite well-connected you know? Somehow (nahh, I know how) you put a message in front of me just when I need to hear it. Feeling sad these days about a person I wish was in my life, I read your message. Brought me back to reality. I am blessed many times over. Although I still want that person near, I remembered just how much God has already bestowed on me. If that relationship is to be, He will make it happen. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy His many other blessings. And I think I'll buy a jar of pickles. Dills, of course!

P.S. Good to hear your PC was fixed by the best computer tech of all time. I'd hate to see this forum disappear.

Krogen
  14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

amen
  15. ampaterry

Thank you, guys, for those most kind words; they mean more than you realize.

For today:

There have been a few threads in the Religious forum that grew heated enough that moderation of them was required. Usually these spats came about because more than one person spoken with authority concerning spiritual matters, but their viewpoints were different. We should listen to the Holy Spirit instead of speaking from a self appointed position of authority! For instance, consider this story I once read about a bishop in 1870:

While visiting a small denominational college and staying at the home of its president, this bishop expressed the firm conviction that the Bible predicted that nothing new could be invented. I believe he was speaking of Ecclesiastes 1:9, which says “The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.”

The college president disagreed. "Why, in 50 years I believe it may be possible for men to soar through the air like birds!" he said. The visiting bishop was shocked. "Flight is strictly reserved for the angels," he replied, "and I beg you not to repeat your suggestion lest you be guilty of blasphemy!"

Who was that conservative bishop? Milton Wright, the father of Orville and Wilbur! Only 30 years after he made these statements, near Kitty Hawk, North Carolina, they made their first flight in a heavier-than-air machine -- the forerunner of the many planes that now crowd our skies!

1 Cor 13:12 (KJV);
    “For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.”

We may be sure of what God tells us in his word; we can be positive of the promises he makes to us there; but – before we start spouting off with our great wisdom – let us carefully consider that passage from Corinthians; God has given us truth, but it is filtered through our human frailty, which often alters our understanding of it!

May God bless each one of you, guys -
  16. ampaterry

‘Eagles may soar – but Weasels don’t get sucked into Jet Engines!’
    That was a poster that someone put up in my old Engineering department. It is funny, but it is also terrible because in so many cases, it is believed! Such belief holds people back from what they might become.

The person who succeeds is not the one who holds back, fearing failure, nor the one who never fails... but rather the one who moves on in spite of failure. If you fear failure, why do you not also fear lack of success? They are the same thing, you know, in that neither attains the prize! And fearing failure so much that you take no chance guarantees that you will have a lack of success!

As Lowell wrote:
    It's Not failure, but low aim that's a crime.

As Teddy Roosevelt believed:
    Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.

2 Corinthians 2:14-16 (NLT);
    “But thanks be to God, who made us his captives and leads us along in Christ’s triumphal procession. Now wherever we go he uses us to tell others about the Lord and to spread the Good News like a sweet perfume. Our lives are a fragrance presented by Christ to God. But this fragrance is perceived differently by those being saved and by those perishing. To those who are perishing we are a fearful smell of death and doom. But to those who are being saved we are a life-giving perfume. And who is adequate for such a task as this?”

We are ALL adequate for this task; all it requires is that we step forth from that gray twilight that hides us in a fog of not winning/not loosing, and come into the light of the Son – S-O-N, that is!

May God bless us all with the joy of soaring as an Eagle, even though we risk getting sucked into a jet engine, rather than spend our lives slinking around in seeming safety, hidden in the underbrush.
  17. ampaterry

Thank you, guys -
    This morning, I copied a BUNCH of data files from this to my notebook.
    I also downloaded and ran a registry cleaner.
    God performs miracles, absolutely.
    And a prudent Christian does what they can to take care of what they can.
    An ounce of prevention - -

Today, the Jewish people celebrate the last day of Sukkot, called Hoshana Rabba, which means Great Salvation. Judgement for the year is rendered on Rosh Hashanah, completed on Yom Kippur, and delivered on Hoshana Rabba, today.
    Today, they will gather in the synagogue and have prayers and responsive readings from the prayer book. The entire congregation then marches around the Bima (raised area at the front) seven times. Following this, they beat willow branches on the floor five times. There is no blessing recited over this portion since it is merely a custom.
    It is customary to stay awake all night (that is last night, as the Jewish day begins at sundown) and recite the Tikkun service, read from Deuteronomy , recite the entire book of Psalms, and through this to join the night and the day through study and prayer.
    On this day, festive clothes are worn, some white as on Yom Kippur. They also light the candles which remain from Yom Kippur. They eat an especially festive meal today, and later on a light snack and special prayer is recited after this last act of dwelling in the booth.
    I have always been a little blank on all the ceremony and traditions observed in the Jewish community, especially those with no scriptural reference. But after attending a Jewish service on Yom Kippur, I have to say that these people are some of the warmest and most loving folks I have ever been around. One thing particularly that struck me was the kissing – They greet each other with a kiss at about the frequency that Christians exchange hugs. But the New Testament, OUR book, says:

Romans 16:15-16 (NCV);
    Greetings to Philologus and Julia, Nereus and his sister, and Olympas, and to all God’s people with them. Greet each other with a holy kiss. All of Christ’s churches send greetings to you.

Verse 17 addresses well, I believe, those who oppose the Jewish people:

"Brothers and sisters, I ask you to look out for those who cause people to be against each other and who upset other people’s faith. They are against the true teaching you learned, so stay away from them."

May God bless each and every one of you -
  18. BlackEagle

Terry, I keep reading these and keep being encouraged. Thanks.
  19. ampaterry

Thank you!

Today is Columbus day.
    The simple days of my youth when we were taught that Columbus discovered America are long gone now. We now know the vikings were ahead of Columbus, and led by Leif Eriksson set up a colony in the new world. We are positive of that. But there are indications in the North East that the Phoenicians were here ahead of even the vikings. And there is other evidence that there was a Hebrew influence here prior to Columbus as well, in places like the Bat Creek find in TN. And long before all of these, there was a land bridge from Siberia, and there were several expeditions into the Americas from that avenue, with the Eskimo's being the most obvious examples.
    So, why do we continue to celebrate Columbus Day?
    Because Columbus led the first European incursion into the new world that survived with their culture intact, and became the dominant people on this continent.
    Not to mention the fact that what Columbus sought was a shorter trade route to the Orient, which means his arrival in the new world was an accident.
    We read about the guy that accidentally discovered Ivory Soap by letting his soap mixing machine run too long. We hear about the one that accidentally invented the Slinky when he made a bunch of springs to the wrong specification. We are told that the Post-it note inventor was initially chastised for making a paper glue that did not hold very well. But the settlement of the New World through Columbus accidentally stumbling on it is a far greater discovery than any of these. You might even think this was God's will, wouldn't you?

And the quote for today is from one of the Apocryphal books:
    Wisdom of Solomon 14:2-3 (NRSV);
    2 For it was desire for gain that planned that vessel, and wisdom was the artisan who built it;
    3 but it is your providence, O Father, that steers its course, because you have given it a path in the sea, and a safe way through the waves,

May God bless each one of you -
  20. BlackEagle

God rules and over-rules in and through the lives and actions of men. This is just one more example.

Thanks again, Terry.