1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

Terry your knowledge never ceases to amaze me. I can only pray that one day my travels lead me to your neck of the woods.
  2. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

It would be cool to meet you, Pipeman -
  3. ampaterry

Today, Israel celebrates Yom Yerushalayim, or Jerusalem Day. In order to understand this day, some history is required.

The UN set the borders of Israel in 1947. Although these formed a very small area, Israel accepted them. The Arab states did not. When Israel declared it's independence in 1948, the surrounding Arab states attacked in less than 24 hours. They captured Jerusalem, and during the rest of this war, Israel was unable to capture the entire city, but had gained ground on other borders when a cease fire was called, and all borders remained as they were, with Jordan occupying the Old City and East Jerusalem. During the following years, Jordan destroyed half of the synagogues, and demolished a Jewish cemetery on the Mount of Olives so they could use the tombstones as paving stones. In 1967 Israel, ever the peacemakers, sent a message to King Hussein of Jordan telling him there would be no hostilities toward his occupied area of Jerusalem or the West Bank as long as the other fronts remained quiet. Jordan responded by shelling civilian locations within Israel, and on June 6th Israel started fighting. On June 7th, they recaptured all of Jerusalem. On June 11th, the six-day war ended with Israel once again having gained ground, including all of Jerusalem. The hopeful toast of “Next year, in Jerusalem!” had become reality, and Jerusalem Day was in 1968 proclaimed on the day the city was re-united. It was made a National Holiday in 1998.

Should we be surprised that Jerusalem was re-united?

Scripture tells us:
    Psalms 122:3 (KJV); Jerusalem is builded as a city that is compact together:

Once in a while, the English of 1611 (actually 1560!) leaves a bit of doubt concerning the meaning. Let us look at a couple of more modern translations to clarify what the KJV means by “compact”:

Psalms 122:3 (GW); Jerusalem is built to be a city where the people are united.

Psalms 122:3 (NLT); Jerusalem is a well-built city, knit together as a single unit.

GIIC, folks: God Is In Control.
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

5. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

Amen Terry. Looking forward to the solar eclipse this afternoon. Las Vegas is one of the good viewing areas. I'll be putting my #11 glass in my welding hood for this one.
  6. Krogen

Krogen Member

GIIC: God is in control

Good one Terry! Should be a bumper sticker don't you think?

I recall the bumper stickers that say "God is my co-pilot." To which I say to myself: Nope.... God is my PILOT!
  7. pipeman525

pipeman525 New Member

Krogen I fully agree. Go to this link on my website and click on the Mustang video. I'm the guy in the back and I think you'll recognize the title

http://www.gunstuff4you.com/page/190
  8. ampaterry

Thank you, guys!!

An anonymous friar in a Nebraska monastery wrote the following when he had grown older:
    “If I had my life to live over again, I'd try to make more mistakes next time. I would relax, I would limber up, I would be sillier than I have been this trip. I would take more trips. I would be crazier. I would climb more mountains, swim more rivers, and watch more sunsets. I would eat more ice cream and less beans. If I had to do it over again I would go places, do things, and travel lighter. If I had my life to live over I would start barefooted earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall. I would ride on more merry-go-rounds. I'd pick more daisies."

I believe this friar had a good handle on the simple fact that we are not to be TOO serious in this life. We are not to go around with long faces, afraid to smile because Christians are to be sober.

I sat under a pastor in Illinois that had it right. He stepped into the pulpit, looked around over the congregation before him, and said "We are Christians! As Christians, we are preserved! Looking over these pews, I have to tell you that most of you look pickled!"

In the Old Testament we find thirteen Hebrew roots, found in twenty-seven different words, which are used primarily for some aspect of joy or joyful participation in religious worship!

Psalm 5:11-12 (KJV);
    “But let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.”

On several occasions since I have been saved, I have had someone address me in the middle of some joke or frivolity which I am enjoying very much and say “A Christian should not be carrying on like that!”
    My response has always been “Jesus saved me, he didn't kill me!"

We are to be serious in our faith, but we are to be joyful in it as well, as we are in every aspect of our lives.

May God bless each one of you, and as Krogan says, keep Him in the PILOT'S seat, not the other one - -
  9. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

A friend of mine said that God doesn't look down on us from the balcony of heaven, point a long bony finger at us and say "YOU!! Are you having fun?? Cut it out!!"

Psalm 100 says to Serve Him with mirth. I like that.

I'm convinced He has a sense of humor. He created the duck billed platypus, and the kookaburra has one of the most infectious laughs I have heard.
  10. ampaterry

And the loon! NO one can watch their landing skills without cracking up!
  11. ampaterry

The first job I held after my discharge in Alaska was lumberjacking for Northern Alaska Development Company north of Fairbanks. It was without a doubt the hardest work I have ever done. The turnover there was heavy, with some guys leaving after the first day of this kind of work. One man I remember, though, just loved it. He was young, strong, and seemed to thrive on this grueling work. One day I asked him what he had done before this. He said he had been in the Merchant Marine, but found the work there so hard that he jumped ship on the Alaskan coast.

That is an indication of how hard the life in the Merchant Marine is.

On May 22nd of 1819 the steam ship Savannah left Savannah Georgia for the first successful transoceanic voyage by a steam ship, which brought it to Liverpool, England 29 days later. This event is commemorated each year on this date as National Maritime Day.

The Merchant Marine is a vital part of our commerce and our defense; in WWII, they were being fired on before the US even entered the war, so they were the first in battle. At the conclusion of hostilities, they brought troops home from service, so they were the last to return home after the war.

We owe a debt to these Mariners for the very difficult work they do, because our lives would be very different without them. They move war materials that consist of everything from Tanks to Torpedoes, and from Bullets to Beans. In 1945, the Merchant Marine combined with the Coast Guard delivered cargo at the rate of seventeen million pounds per hour! They had a death rate of one in thirty, which was higher than any branch of the military. It is for good cause that they are awarded most of the benefits afforded to Veterans today.

Scripture tells the dangers of maritime travel to both cargo and people:
    Acts 27:9-10 (KJV);
    Now when much time was spent, and when sailing was now dangerous, because the fast was now already past, Paul admonished them, And said unto them, Sirs, I perceive that this voyage will be with hurt and much damage, not only of the lading and ship, but also of our lives.

Ecclesiastes tells us there is no new thing under the sun - -

Thank you, Mariners, for the work you do for all of us.
    I ask that God would look after each one of you, keep you safe, and give you a blessing.
  12. BlackEagle

I didn't realise there is a National Maritime Day, but whenever I think of sailors I think of this Psalm. Merchant mariners were in the Old Testament, too...
    Psalm 107:23-32
    23 Some went out on the sea in ships;
    they were merchants on the mighty waters.
    24 They saw the works of the Lord,
    his wonderful deeds in the deep.
    25 For he spoke and stirred up a tempest
    that lifted high the waves.
    26 They mounted up to the heavens and went down to the depths;
    in their peril their courage melted away.
    27 They reeled and staggered like drunkards;
    they were at their wits’ end.
    28 Then they cried out to the Lord in their trouble,
    and he brought them out of their distress.
    29 He stilled the storm to a whisper;
    the waves of the sea were hushed.
    30 They were glad when it grew calm,
    and he guided them to their desired haven.
    31 Let them give thanks to the Lord for his unfailing love
    and his wonderful deeds for mankind.
    32 Let them exalt him in the assembly of the people
    and praise him in the council of the elders.
  13. ampaterry

Wow, BlackEagle, that is PERFECT for this day -
    THANK YOU!!
  14. ampaterry

It has always amazed me how God can speak to us using the most unusual means. I have, over the years I have been in the pulpit, received inspiration for a sermon from all sorts of wild creatures which Judy has brought me into association with. I have received a message from the stars at night, from the Aurora in Alaska, from the words of a child, and from Peanuts cartoon strips. For instance, today I will go into – Shakespeare!

In the Shakespeare's play of the same name, Macbeth tells his philosophy of life:

Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
    That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
    And then is heard no more. It is a tale
    Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
    Signifying nothing.

As Christians, we know this is a wrong attitude! For instance, in the book of John, life is revealed to be other than a philosophy:
    John 1:4 (KJV);
    John says of Jesus;
    “In Him was life, and the life was the light of men”.

If you're looking to some philosophy to give meaning to your life, you will be unfulfilled. Only Jesus Christ can give life true meaning;

John 14:6 (KJV);
    “Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.”

He is the one and the only way to attain an abundant life;
    John 10:10b (KJV); “I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.”

Positive thinking, happy thoughts, PMA, all are OK, but not a single one - nor all of them together - can give your life true meaning. For that, you must turn toward your Creator, and reconcile with Him.

May God bless each one of you -
  15. BlackEagle

Psalm 90 does a great job describing the meaning of life.