Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Congratulations indeed, BlackEagle.
    Grandkids are a HUGE blessing.

You get to spoil them rotten, then when they are so spoiled they are getting on your nerves, you send them home to their parents with a smile.

For today:

When Leonardo da Vinci was painting the Last Supper, he had an intense, bitter argument with a fellow painter. Leonardo was so enraged that he decided to paint the face of his enemy into the face of Judas. That way the hated painter's face would be preserved for ages in the face of the betraying disciple. When Leonardo finished Judas, everyone easily recognized the face of the painter with whom Leonardo quarreled.
    Leonardo continued to work on the painting. But as much as he tried, he could not paint the face of Christ. Something was holding him back.
    Leonardo decided his hatred toward his fellow painter was the problem. So he worked through his hatred by repainting Judas' face, replacing the image of his fellow painter with another face. Only then was he able to paint Jesus' face and complete the masterpiece.

All of us are hindered in our work; we are hindered by the frailty of the flesh! If we work diligently, we can remove much of this hindrance by practicing forgiveness to others, and getting beyond our hatred of others, and in so doing we will find that our work goes much easier and accomplishes more than it did before.

I am reminded of the old Pogo cartoon strip, and the time when their own bumbling was causing so much trouble in their ranks, and Pogo said “We have met the enemy, and he is us!”

Matthew 5:23-24 (KJV);
    Therefore if thou bring thy gift to the altar, and there rememberest that thy brother hath ought against thee; Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.

Matthew 6:14-15 (KJV);
    For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses."

May God bless each one of you this day -
  2. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

He couldn't paint Christ's face because he was so focused on his enemy. But when He focused on Christ instead, and as you say, forgave his enemy, he was able to complete his task.

So it seems to me, that if we focus on enemies, our attention is drawn away from what God wants us to do--become like Christ because we are looking at the wrong person.

Thinking now...Psalm 15 talks about the person who dwells with God. He is upright and pure, and he despises the evil person. That evil person is not his enemy, he is God's enemy. But the focus of the upright person's life is still on God, not distracted by the evil person.

Thanks, Terry;
    good message. You got me thinking, and that can be dangerous. ;) :rolleyes:
  3. ampaterry

Thank you, BlackEagle.
    And that IS dangerous - - for Satan's purposes!

Today, in the US, is Election Day. I remember well when I reached 21 and was allowed to vote for the first time. I was in the service then, and the complaint that many young people in the service had at that time was that we could fight and die for our country at 18, but we could not vote in an election to have some influence on who we fought until we were 21.

Now, the age to vote has been reduced to 18, so this inequity has been resolved. And how is this privilege being received by these new young voters? In 1972, 50% of those 18-21 registered and voted. By 2010, a non-presidential year, with the overall voter turnout at 37%, the young voter turnout was only 20% . It seems that with the end of the Vietnam War era, interest in voting among young people has waned. Yet, many nations in the world are considering lowering the age yet again, this time to 16, and some have already done so.

When I was a kid, my older brother got a drivers license when he was 14. By the time I reached 14 seven years later, the age had been raised to 16. Now, there is talk of raising it to 18 due to the much higher accident rate among younger drivers.
    These two issues bring a question to my mind.

Why are younger people considered to be less able to drive a car, yet more able to make decisions regarding the governing of our nation?

There is an old saying that comes from Chicago: “Vote early, and vote often!” There is controversy over the exact source of that saying, but having been born and raised in Illinois, I assure you that it is taken to heart there in Cook County. And I will repeat it; vote early, so you don't get shut out by closing polls. And vote as often as we have any election. Too many brave people laid down their lives to obtain and preserve this privilege for any one to ignore it.

Luke 16:1-2 (KJV);
    And he said also unto his disciples, There was a certain rich man, which had a steward; and the same was accused unto him that he had wasted his goods. And he called him, and said unto him, How is it that I hear this of thee? give an account of thy stewardship; for thou mayest be no longer steward.

If you do not exercise your right to vote, you could end up losing it!

May God have mercy on us this day, and bless our nation as he has in the past with good leadership.
  4. BlackEagle

Amen, Terry.

Notice how David and several others became king. God selected him, God's prophet anointed him, and the people responded by making him king of the land.
  5. ampaterry

My E-mail list got my normal E-votional today, but I won't put it here.

Here, I want to simply ask that you join with me in prayer for our nation.

Heavenly Father, I come before you this morning asking for mercy on our nation.
    I know we have failed you in the direction we have headed.
    I know we have done much that is contrary to your will.
    I know we have called that which is good, evil.
    I know we have called that which is evil, good.
    I know we have broken your commandments.
    I know we have murdered our children and called it "choice".
    I know we have removed you from our public lives and called it "Constitutional".
    I know we have denied the account in Genesis and called it "Science".
    I know we have rewarded laziness and called it "compassion".
    I know we have penalized productive workers and called it "fairness".
    I know we have accepted sexual perversions and called it "Alternative lifestyle".
    I know we have accepted pagan beliefs and called it "multiculturalism".
    I know we have looked to ourselves for help, strength and salvation.
    I know we have done these things both individually and corporally as a nation.

I know we were wrong.

I ask, Lord, that you would forgive us, jerk us up out of the mire we have descended into, and place our feet on the straight and narrow path.

And I ask these things in the Holy name of Jesus, the Christ - the Author and Finisher of our faith.

Amen

2 Corinthians 12:7-10 (KJV);
    7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.
    8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
    9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
    10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.
  6. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Amen!
  7. 01brian

01brian New Member

8. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

9. jbmid1

jbmid1 Active Member

But not until after the people had chosen Saul for themselves and endured a generation of misguided leadership.
  10. jbmid1

jbmid1 Active Member

And AMEN to the prayer Terry.
  11. BlackEagle

Terry, a big AMEN.

Agreed. People then, like now, look on the outward appearance, while God looks on the inward man. Saul wasn't the only looser to be king, and time after time when the wicked king led the nation into sin, and destruction of the nation; righteous kings led the nation toward Godliness and into God's blessing. God allowed both wicked and righteous kings to rule in Israel, and the nation suffered or was blessed accordingly.

Could I offer a word of encouragement...

Proverbs 29:16
    When the wicked are multiplied, transgression increaseth: but the righteous shall see their fall.

I think God is telling us to hang in there.

Christ is still on the throne, King of kings and Lord of lords.

In the context of describing God's awesome power, Paul describes Christ's power and authority in Ephesians 1:20-23.
    "...he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, Far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come: And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church, Which is his body, the fulness of him that filleth all in all.

Paul wrote Romans 8 to the Church in Rome, which was in an extremely religious repressive city, under a Roman emperor who was worshipped as a god, and worshipping the True God was equivalent to treason. See also the letters to the seven churches in Revelation 2-3 to see churches living under persecution.

The orb is still under the cross whether it recognises it or not.

orb and cross.jpg
  12. ampaterry

Thank you, guys.

We have had our day of mourning. It is now time to stand back up, shoulder our load, and proceed with the work of restoring the republic.

For today:

A beggar stopped a lawyer on the street in a large southern city and asked him for a dollar. Taking a long, hard look into the man's unshaven face, the attorney asked, "Don't I know you from somewhere?" "You should," came the reply. "I'm your former classmate. Remember, second floor, old Main Hall?" "Why Sam, of course I know you!" Without further question the lawyer wrote a check for $500. "Here, take this and get a new start. I don't care what's happened in the past, it's the future that counts." And with that he hurried on.
    Tears welled up in the man's eyes as he walked to a bank nearby. Stopping at the door, he saw through the glass well-dressed tellers and the spotlessly clean interior. Then he looked at his filthy rags. "They won't take this from me. They'll swear that I forged it," he muttered as he turned away.
    The next day the two men met again. "Why Sam, what did you do with my check? Gamble it away? Drink it up?" "No," said the beggar as he pulled it out of his dirty shirt pocket and told why he hadn't cashed it. "Listen, friend," said the lawyer. "What makes that check good is not your clothes or appearance, but my signature. Go on, cash it!"

The Bible says in Romans 10:13 (KJV); "Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved."

That promise is a check of infinite value. And as sinners, all we need to do is cash it by faith for eternal life. Don't let the "tattered clothes" of your past keep you from cashing God's "check" of salvation.

If you wait until you are CLEAN ENOUGH to cash that check, you will never cash it.
    If you wait until you have EARNED that check, you will never cash it.
    If you wait until you DESERVE that check, you will never cash it.

God wrote you that check because he wants you to cash it NOW – exactly WHERE you are, and exactly WHO you are! DO IT!!

May God bless each one of you -
  13. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

cheers Terry ,

God's the only bloke who never discriminates in class race wealth etc

dont we wish the rest of the world was half as fair ??
  14. BlackEagle

So true, Terry, and Jack.

Ephesians 2:8-9
    For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast.

Galatians 3:26-29
    For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus. For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.
  15. Krogen

Krogen Member

Thanks for posting those verses, BlackEagle! I'm struggling and my faith is being tested right now. The timing of your post was spot-on. I appreciate the crystal clear reminder.
  16. ampaterry

The need for the new birth is shown in the life of George Whitefield. At 16 he became deeply convicted of his sin. He tried everything to become acceptable to God. He wrote, "I fasted for 36 hours twice a week. I prayed formal prayers several time a day and almost starved myself to death during Lent, but only felt more miserable. Then by God's grace I met Charles Wesley, who put a book in my hand that showed me from the Scriptures that I must be 'born again' or be eternally lost." Finally, Whitefield understood that he had to trust in Jesus Christ; you cannot starve or pray your way into Heaven. He believed and was both forgiven and changed. After he became a preacher, he spoke at least a thousand times on the subject, "You must be born again."
    Have you?

John 3:3 (KJV);
    “Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."

2 Corinthians 5:17 (KJV);
    “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.”

Those are precious verses; I remember well the times I have spent reading different religious writings and fasting and praying over them to no avail. I remember following dietary restrictions, attempting to get myself ‘pure’ enough to receive divine guidance. It never worked for me, and it won’t work for you either! If you were PURE enough, you wouldn’t NEED divine guidance!

Remember Mark 2; 15-17 (KJV);
    “And it came to pass, that, as Jesus sat at meat in his house, many publicans and sinners sat also together with Jesus and his disciples: for there were many, and they followed him. And when the scribes and Pharisees saw him eat with publicans and sinners, they said unto his disciples, How is it that he eateth and drinketh with publicans and sinners? When Jesus heard it, he saith unto them, They that are whole have no need of the physician, but they that are sick: I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance."

May God bless each one of you!
  17. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Very cool Terry.
    My 10yr old daughter just finished a paper & oral report on George Whitefield & The Great Awakening.

-
  18. BlackEagle

You got me thinking of a few passages today...

Roman 6:23 supplements what you said: God's free gift is eternal life. We don't have to earn it.

John 1:12 describes how if we receive Christ, we become sons of God.

And it's not anything we can do for ourselves or by ourselves. We can't work our way into heaven.

Titus 3:5-7
    Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

Thanks again, Terry.
  19. ampaterry

Thank you, guys!

For today:

In a 3rd-century debate on Christianity, Celsus said to Origen, "When most teachers go forth to teach, they cry, 'Come to me, you who are clean and worthy,' and they are followed by the highest caliber of people available. But your silly master cries, 'Come to me, you who are down and beaten by life,' and so he accumulates around him the rag, tag and bobtail of humanity."

And Origen replied: "Yes, they are the rag, tag and bobtail of humanity. But Jesus does not leave them that way. Out of material you would have thrown away as useless, he fashions men, giving them back their self-respect, enabling them to stand on their feet and look God in the eyes. They were cowed, cringing, broken things. But the Son has set them free."

Matthew 11:28-30 (KJV);
    Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

1 Corinthians 1:25-31 (KJV);
    “Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men. For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called: But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty; And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are: That no flesh should glory in his presence. But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption: That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.”

The Church is not supposed to be a place of bondage.
    The Church is not supposed to be a place of long lists of rules and restrictions.
    The Church is supposed to be a place where we can learn about and experience true freedom.
    Find a church where that is true, attend it regularly, and discover the true freedom that God intended for ALL his people to enjoy!

May God bless each and every one of you -
  20. BlackEagle

I've been reading 1-2 Corinthians this last few days. I came across this:
    2 Cor 4:7-10:
    But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us. 8 We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; 9 persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed; 10 always carrying in the body the death of Jesus, so that the life of Jesus may also be manifested in our bodies.

As one man said, we have this great treasure of the Gospel in common peanut butter jars!! God houses his treasure-filled message in lowly clothes.

Psalm 118:21-23

21 I thank you that you have answered me
    and have become my salvation.
    22 The stone that the builders rejected
    has become the cornerstone.
    23 This is the Lord's doing;
    it is marvelous in our eyes.

God has a way of changing people. Christ's first encounter with Simon: "You are Simon, you will be Peter." He takes us from where we are to what He wants us to become.

Thanks again Terry.