Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The 1st scripture that came to my mind while reading your devotional today was:

2. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Services in Zambia, Africa are much the same. People come from a long way, and the church services can last hours.
  3. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Amen, Terry;
    I really like Psalm 37; Psalm 73 carries a similar message.
    God tells us to treasure up for ourselves treasures in Heaven where moth and rust do not destroy, rather than on earth, where moth and rust destroy and thieves break through and steal, Matt. 6:19-20.

Graehaven, I guess the more things we have around us, the more we tend to get distracted from what's really important. Zambia, India, both dirt poor, but spiritually rich. Hmmmm....food for thought.

Paul learned to abase and abound.
  4. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Thank you, guys, for the support!!

For today, I found a story that has a valuable lesson for all of us:

Horatio G. Spafford, a successful Chicago Lawyer, lost most of his wealth in the great Chicago Fire of 1871 and the financial crisis that followed. He sent his wife and four daughters on a trip to France, but on their way, their ship was struck by another, and sank. Of the 225 passengers on that ship, only 87 survived.
    Mrs. Spafford was among the survivors, but all four of their daughters perished. As soon as she reached land, she telegraphed this message to her husband: "Saved alone. Children lost. What shall I do?"
    Spafford left for France to join his wife and return her to Chicago. On the way there, as his ship passed over the spot where his daughters had perished, he wrote his only hymn: It is Well With My Soul. Perhaps the words of the first stanza will take on new meaning for you, as you ponder them:
    "When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
    "When sorrows like sea billows roll;
    "Whatever my lot,
    "Thou hast taught me to say,
    "It is well, it is well with my soul."

Psalm 42:9-11;
    “I will say unto God my rock, Why hast thou forgotten me? why go I mourning because of the oppression of the enemy?
    As with a sword in my bones, mine enemies reproach me; while they say daily unto me, Where is thy God?
    Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted within me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God.”

When you feel the bottom falling out, reach up – you will be rescued from the abyss of despair! The Holy Spirit has been given to us to accompany us in all of our ways – We never walk alone!

May God bless each one of you -
  5. ampaterry

I am into breadbaking. When I first read a recipe' for Peasant Bread, I was surprised to learn that true peasant bread does NOT require all the kneading that regular bread does. I thought this sounded like a fine idea, as the kneading and spanking is a major part of the work of breadbaking. So I made a batch of Peasant Bread following the recipe' exactly. The result was a very course bread that was almost impossible to put butter, jam or peanut butter on because the interior was riddled with huge bubbles that made holes clear through the slices. I still use the Peasant Bread recipe', but I insert a good deal of kneading to mix the ingredients well, and spanking to remove the bubbles from the sponge.

You will notice the same thing if you watch a potter working with their clay. They may pound and pound the raw clay with the effect of bringing the tiny bubbles to the surface where they will break. If they did not do this, those bubles could cause a flaw in the finished pot which would make a weak place in the wall of the vessel.

Not restricted to breadbaking or pottery, you will see the same kind of thing if we watch a blacksmith, hammering and hammering a piece of steel; stretching it out, folding it back, and hammering some more. The Smithy is forging the steel to make it less brittle, tougher and stronger. You know how brittle Cast Iron is? The forging takes care of that –

When you feel that you are being hammered, remember this. You cannot have a strong vessel if the air bubbles have not been hammered out of the clay first. You cannot have a strong sword, knife, or similar steel tool unless the brittle cast iron has been hammered and hammered to make it tough. God knows what is best for us; he lets us get hammered now and then to remove our weak spots and to toughen us for the battles ahead.

Isaiah 64:8 (KJV);
    But now, O LORD, thou art our father; we are the clay, and thou our potter; and we all are the work of thy hand.

6. BlackEagle

Thanks for the reminder, Terry;
    God does have a way of putting us through rough times to "burn out our impurities" to make us stronger. I don't relish the times while going through them, but the end result is a more Christlike me, better able to do God's work. Countless passages come to mind.
  7. ampaterry

Some time ago, this Reuters item appeared:
    “BEIJING - China published sweeping new regulations on Internet companies on Monday that limit foreign investment, require strict surveillance against ``subversive'' content and threaten to close down any unlicensed firms. The rules, passed by China's cabinet two weeks ago and published in the official Xinhua Daily Telegraph on Monday, are sure to send shock waves through the country's fledgling Internet industry, which is heavily dependent on foreign capital. By holding companies responsible for blocking vast categories of illegal content on their Web sites and chat rooms, the rules also illustrate Beijing's determination to contain the spread of ideas deemed dangerous to Communist Party rule.”

In the years since that article, China has become a major Internet presence – but the battle continues for the hearts and minds of the Chinese people, as their repressive government continues to attempt to control their citizen’s access to the TRUTH!

John 14:6;
    “Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me!”

John 16:13;
    “Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will show you things to come.”

John 8:32;
    “And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”

Truth is VERY important to the Christian, because truth is very important to Jesus Christ! As long as there is anywhere on earth that restricts the Truth, we must not rest until the blessed light of the Gospel, the greatest truth of all time, is freely shone into that darkness!

8. ampaterry

"Wouldn't you hate to wear glasses all the time?" asked a small boy of his playmate.

"No-o-o," the other boy answered slowly, "not if I had the kind grandma wears. She sees how to fix a lot of things, and she sees lots of nice things to do on rainy days, and she sees when folks are tired and sorry, and what will make them feel better, and she always sees what you meant to do even if you haven't got things just right. I asked her one day how she could see that way all the time, and she said it was the way she learned to look at things as she grew older. So it must be her glasses."

Prov 16:31 (NCV);“Gray hair is like a crown of honor; it is earned by living a good life.”

There is wisdom in age, and that is often ignored in our society of the virtual worship of youth and the body beautiful. You have heard it said that there are none so blind as those who WILL not see.

What do you think is meant in this passage?
    Isaiah 29:18;
    “And in that day shall the deaf hear the words of the book, and the eyes of the blind shall see out of obscurity, and out of darkness”

Do you think the prophet is speaking of physical blindness here? Jesus healed the blind on many occasions, and we tend to think of blindness as an affliction of the eyes; I think here we are being taught about the blindness of the spirit, and the way the Lord will heal that blindness, and restore vision to the blind of heart. The capacity to love, to show compassion, to feel your neighbors hurts as if they were your own; The ability to know who needs help, and the desire to reach out to them. Lord, heal us ALL from our blindness and our deafness and our insensativity of all kinds!

May God bless each one of you with perfect vision -
  9. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

10. BlackEagle

Thanks again, Terry;

I was reading John 9 the other day; the last verses ring a bell (39-41)
    Jesus said, “For judgment I have come into this world, so that the blind will see and those who see will become blind.” Some Pharisees who were with him heard him say this and asked, “What? Are we blind too?” Jesus said, “If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains.

Things have been a bit busy around here, I make it a point to read the daily devotionals but I can't always respond the way I'd like to.
  11. ampaterry

Thank you, guys!

Great verse BlackEagle -
    And believe me, I understand!

For today, I thought about this little poem I once read and thought it made an excellent point;

Two frogs fell into a can of cream, or so I've heard it told.
    The sides of the can were shiny and steep, the cream was deep and cold.
    "Oh, what's the use?" said No. 1, "tis fate, no help's around;
    Good-bye, my friend! Good-bye, sad world!" He gave up, and he drowned.
    But No. 2, of sterner stuff, dog paddled in surprise,
    Then he wiped his creamy face, and dried his creamy eyes.
    "I'll swim awhile, at least," he thought, or so it has been said.
    "It wouldn't really help the world, if one more frog was dead."
    An hour or two he kicked and swam, not once he stopped to mutter,
    But kicked and swam, and swam and kicked, then hopped out, on the butter.

Paul wrote to Timothy in 2 Timothy 4:7&8;
    “I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness,. . .”

What is the moral of that poem, and of that verse?

As the first stanza of the Dylan Thomas poem says:

Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Never stop kicking.

Never give up.

You have nothing to lose by fighting on, and much to gain.

May God bless you, guys -
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

what can be gained by not fighting that is worth anything ?

Deo duce, ferro comitante
  13. BlackEagle

Thanks, Terry;
    Another that talks about hanging in there (of many verses)...Gal. 6:9-10 9 Let us not lose heart in doing good, for in due time we will reap if we do not grow weary. 10 So then, while we have opportunity, let us do good to all people, and especially to those who are of the household of the faith.
    I had to put this on the PumpHouse thread...
    http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?p=934149#post934149
  14. ampaterry

Thank you, guys, for the support!

The life of Edgar Allen Poe is one of the most tragic of all American writers. Within a brief span of forty years he literally went from riches to rags.
    Raised by foster parents who loved him deeply, he was provided with an education that matched his genius in his field of interest. He attended private schools in England. He was schooled in Richmond at the University of Virginia. He even spent a period of time as a cadet at West Point.

Poe, in his heyday, was unparalleled as a literary critic, editor, poet, and author of short stories. Most of us have probably had our spines tingled by The Pit and the Pendulum or The Tell-Tale Heart or The Raven. His works have indeed left their mark.

But the mark left by his life is another story. Poe lost his young bride through a bitter case of tuberculosis. By that time, alcohol and drug abuse, along with involvement in the occult and Satanism, had proved to be his undoing. Depression and insanity plagued his short life, eventually leaving him unconscious in the gutter of a windswept street in Baltimore. Four days later he died, having never regained consciousness.

Poe began his life with money and brilliance, which quickly brought him prestige and fame. But it was only a matter of time before he became a ragged, penniless bum.

There are some Christians that follow in Poe’s footsteps. They accept Jesus, have a GLORIOUS rebirth, have riches beyond measure and a wonderful future, and then they start sliding down that slippery slope into spiritual ruin.

1 Timothy 4:16;
    “Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.”

Keep the faith! Keep the fight! Persevere to the end, because you WILL win! God did NOT create you to fail!
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

those that dance to old nicks tune pay more than all the gold can buy