1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The parable of the sower. Some seed fell on the path, some on stony ground, some among the thorns, and some on rich soil.

The Navigators do a lot with something called Follow Up, helping new Christians become established in their relationship with Christ. The Lost Art of Discplemaking by Leroy Eims is one book that has been very useful to me. It touches on how the principles of 2 Timothy 2:2 can be used in a church setting. NavPress has a wealth of material on this subject.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  2. Krogen

Krogen Member

On Monday's devotional: How could you possibly have known I needed to read that today? Oh, wait.... I'm sure I know the answer!

Thanks much and God bless you and yours.
  3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Krogan; that happens a lot!
    Thanks, guys, for the support!

For today:

Remember the Beatitudes which Jesus spoke, in Matthew 5:3-12:
    “Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are they that mourn: for they shall be comforted. Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth. Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God. Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness’ sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake."

Now see what you think of these beatitudes;

“Blessed are they who are too tired and too busy to go to church on Sunday, for they are my best workers. Blessed are they who are bored with the minister's mannerisms and mistakes, for they get nothing out of the sermon. Blessed is the church member who expects to be invited to his own church for he is part of the problem instead of the solution. Blessed are they who gossip, for they cause strife and divisions that please me. Blessed are they who are easily offended, for they soon get angry and quit. Blessed are they who do not give their offerings to carry on God's work for they are my best helpers. Blessed is he who professes to love God but hates his brother and sister, for he shall be with me forever. Blessed are the trouble makers, for they shall be called children of the devil. Blessed is he who has no time to pray, for he will be easy prey.”

This week, which group of Beatitudes do you fall in? Each and every one of us will please a spiritual being this week. Which one will be pleased with YOUR actions, words, and thoughts?

May God bless each one of you -
  4. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

So often Terry I see a message that convicts me in these daily devotionals, and in doing so are a blessing to me. Thank you.
  5. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Plus 1+
    Thanks Terry!
  6. BlackEagle

I think I prefer the first set of beatitudes and would rather be allied with them.
    Thanks again.
  7. ampaterry

Thank you, guys!

For today, the devotional is a request. First, some scripture;
    1 Corinthians 12:12-21 (NCV);
    “For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ. For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit. For the body is not one member, but many. If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body? If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling? But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him. And if they were all one member, where were the body? But now are they many members, yet but one body. And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.”

What position does this say the Jews have with God?

And even more concretely,
    Romans 11:28-29 (NCV);“The Jews refuse to accept the Good News, so they are God’s enemies. This has happened to help you who are not Jews. But the Jews are still God’s chosen people, and he loves them very much because of the promises he made to their ancestors. God never changes his mind about the people he calls and the things he gives them.”

God loves the Jewish people, and Israel is the land He gave to them!

And the request is – Please, keep the Jewish people in your prayers as they continue their struggle in Israel for the right to EXIST.
    Work for and pray for a government that will not support the terrorist nations and desert Israel for a supply of oil.
    Pray for the Jews – pray for Israel – and pray for all the people of the world today, that God may restrain his judgment on the world, and allow us more time to reach the lost.

May God bless each one of you -
  8. ampaterry

The specific details of this story are blurred by the years, but I have been able to verify the major points and identity of the people involved. It is true; it did happen.

Many years ago two young men were working their way through Stanford University. At one point their money was almost gone, so they decided to engage the great pianist Paderewski for a concert and use the profits for board and tuition. Paderewski's manager asked for a guarantee of $2,000. The students worked hard to promote the concert, but they came up $400 short. After the performance, they went to the musician, gave him all the money they had raised, and promised to pay the $400 as soon as they could. It appeared that their college days were over. "No, boys, that won't do," said the pianist. "take out of this $1,600 all your expenses, and keep for each of you 10 percent of the balance for your work. Let me have the rest."

Years passed. Paderewski became premier of Poland following World War I. Thousands of his countrymen were starving. Only one man could help, the head of the U.S. Food and Relief Bureau. Paderewski's appeal to him brought thousands of tons of food. Later he met the American statesman to thank him. "That's all right," replied Herbert Hoover. "Besides, you don't remember, but you helped me once when I was a student in college."

Is this a great working out of the Golden rule?
    Luke 6:31 (KJV);
    “And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise.”

Which is followed just a few verses later by
    Luke 6:38;
    “Give, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete withal it shall be measured to you again.”

That is not the REASON to give, of course, but it is often the RESULT!

May God richly bless each one of you - -
  9. reflex1

reflex1 Active Member

Gotta share this one Terry - thanks for another great sermon!
  10. ampaterry

Reflex1, I have to admit that is one of my favorites -
    There are so many glurges floating around the net that are total fabrications, it is quite pleasant to learn an old story like this one that actually happened!

For today:

Years ago, Dr. Karl Menninger of the Menninger Clinic was asked, "If someone felt a nervous breakdown coming on, what would you suggest that he do?" He replied:
    "If you feel a nervous breakdown coming on, I would urge you to find somebody else with a problem -- a serious one -- and get involved with that individual, helping him solve his problem."

I agree with Dr. Menninger here. In helping someone to solve his problem, you will find your own problem is going to disappear. You're no longer thinking internally. You're no longer letting things gnaw at your stomach. You're no longer getting disturbed about yourself because you're not thinking about yourself. You're thinking about others. I don't know what your objective in life might be, but there is something each one of us can do.

Also, when we immerse ourselves in the work of helping others with worse problems, we find our own so much less than we had thought before! There is no way to truly appreciate the blessings we each have until we are exposed to those with so much less than we ourselves have!

1 Peter 4:10;“As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God.”

Philippians 2:3-4;
    “Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.”

1 Corinthians 10:24;
    “Let no man seek his own, but every man another’s wealth.”

May God bless each one of you, guys!
  11. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

too true

Cheers
  12. 01brian

01brian New Member

Reading this part of the forum is so refreshing for me! Thanks for all your efforts Terry. I start feeling a little down or whatnot and 5-15 minutes reading here changes my entire perspective for the day!
    Have a GREAT weekend!
    Brian
  13. BlackEagle

Amen on getting our focus out of our own problems. God did that with a very burned out, exhausted Elijah in 1 Kings 19. God gave him a new assignment.

I also like Psalm 40. Here are the first 4 verses...
    1. I waited patiently for the Lord;
    he inclined to me and heard my cry.
    2 He drew me up from the pit of destruction,
    out of the miry bog,
    and set my feet upon a rock,
    making my steps secure.
    3 He put a new song in my mouth,
    a song of praise to our God.
    Many will see and fear,
    and put their trust in the Lord.
  14. ampaterry

Thank you, guys, for that support!!

For today;

"If you give to charity while you are poor, you will eventually give in days of wealth. If you do not give while you are rich, you will eventually abstain from giving because of poverty. God has willed that there be two hands in the matter of charity -- one that gives and one that receives. Thank God that yours is the hand that gives. Say not, "I will miss what I give." Be like the sheep who give their wool and have no less the next year because they have given."
    -- Tan Huma Rabbinic Literature

2 Corinthians 9:6-11;
    “But this I say, He which soweth sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully. Every man according as he purposeth in his heart, so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work: (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth forever. Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness;) Being enriched in every thing to all bountifulness, which causeth through us thanksgiving to God.”

I almost never talk about giving, because collecting money is not the purpose of my ministry, nor should it be the purpose of any ministry! My ministry does not need your money. From the day we opened Bethany Church twenty five years ago, every singly need we have ever had has been met. We have never had over a thousand dollars in the treasury, yet the church has met each expense as it arrises.
    You, however, have a need to give money into God’s work. You need to decide where you wish to place it, and do so very carefully. If you are placing it into a charitable work, spend some time investigating charities to see which one you want to support. Go beyond their signs and ads, and dig deep into the organization itself. See how much they spend on buildings and staff. Check into the salaries of the upper administrators. From my personal investigations - and personal history - there is no better large charity than the Salvation Army. And from my personal investigations and personal history, there is no major charity as wasteful and ineffective as the Red Cross.
    You should put at least part of your titnes and offerings into the church you attend. If you are fed there, then pay for the meal.
    Whatever you decide to do with your tithes and offerings, make sure you do not neglect to give them into God’s work, whatever vehicle you choose to do that through.

May God bless you, guys - -
  15. BlackEagle

The church I grew up in measured its priorities by its budget. (that was one measure; there were other measures of priorities, but as Jesus said (paraphrase), "your heart is where your treasure is" As long as the "Ministry" part of the budget outweighed the "Bricks and mortar" side of the budget the congregation knew the priorities were right.

As a church we chose carefully who and what organisations we supported.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012