Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

BlackEagle, my church works hard at this also. We vote on every outreach. Although very small, we have two regular monthly outreaches.
    1. Salvation Army.
    2. International Fellowship of Christians and Jews.

We have had others over the years, but they had to be ended for one reason or another. For instance, we voted to have a Native American outreach. We investigated and found a Catholic Priest that was doing a GREAT work on the Pine Ridge Reservation, so we started sending him monthly support. Every month, he would write to us and tell us what he had done with the money we had sent that month. Everything went fine until we sent him an extra amount at Christmas, which allowed him to do some things for his people that raised the curiosity of his governing body in the church. They contacted us and told us we could not send money directly to one of their priests, but had to send it to them and they would decide where it should be used. With deep sorrow, we stopped that outreach.

For today:

Today is Children's Day. This is not a holiday here in the US, and to be honest I am not in favor of making it one. I am fully aware of the importance of children, to be sure. I know that the future of our country rests in the hands of the children. I know that each generation, folks of my age have handed off the reins of the nation to the next generation, and retire – depending on those children to keep things running well.
    But I see a problem in our nation. I see news reports that are centered around children. Every time anything unusual happens in a school, a platoon of counselors descends upon the school to help the students deal with the adversity.

No matter what the news issue is, some reporter somewhere is going to get a pre-teen kid on the air and ask them what they think about it. I remember a time when Kids listened to what adults thought instead of telling adults what they thought.

Every time I go to the store, I am treated to kids running and screaming, slamming into me. Sometimes, they even poke through my cart, handling the things I have chosen to buy. And all of this is within PLAIN SIGHT of their parents, who merely smile at their antics. At the check-out, they will pull candy and toys off the shelves by the check-out lane, and pitch a fit until one of their parents buys it for them to shut them up.

When I drive at the right time of day, it takes forever to get anywhere because the school buses stop at each driveway to pick kids up in the morning and again to let them off in the afternoon. They will do this right up to a block from the school, assuring that the little darlings don't have to walk more than 25 feet a day. Then, our tax money goes into school lunch programs to ensure that they get a healthy diet, and the experts complain about how overweight and out of shape our kids are!

What I am saying is this:
    We do not need a special day to cater to our children in the United States in the 21st century. If someone will propose that we have one day to let the kids WALK to school while carrying a sack lunch from home, compel them to be polite, deny them a piece of candy or a toy by fussing about it, then I will get behind that movement.

What does the bible say about disciplining children?

Proverbs 13:24 (MSG);
    A refusal to correct is a refusal to love; love your children by disciplining them.

May God bless all our children.
    And may God bless their parents with the wisdom to raise them correctly.
  2. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That's sad about the mission to the Native Americans. Leave it to the bureaucrats to kill off something good.

re: children: I agree. Thanks again.

If there were ever a chance of stopping by West Tennessee on one of our flying trips to see family in Indiana it would be a treat to see you, and the ministry you are having.
  3. ampaterry

BlackEagle, it would be a privilege to meet you.
    But be warned, the church is WAY down at this point -
    Most Sundays are just four of us.

For today:

A man in Kansas City was severely injured in an explosion. Evangelist Robert L. Summer tells about him in his book The Wonder of the Word of God. The victim's face was badly disfigured, and he lost his eyesight as well as both hands. He was just a new Christian, and one of his greatest disappointments was that he could no longer read the Bible.
    Then he heard about a lady in England who read Braille with her lips. Hoping to do the same, he sent for some books of the Bible in Braille. Much to his dismay, however, he discovered that the nerve endings in his lips had been destroyed by the explosion. One day, as he brought one of the Braille pages to his lips, his tongue happened to touch a few of the raised characters and he could feel them. Like a flash he thought, I can read the Bible using my tongue. At the time Robert Sumner wrote his book, the man had "read" through the entire Bible four times.

Here is a man who had such a love for the Word that he not only learned brail, but learned it using his TONGUE, and then read the bible at least four times this way! His desire for the Word of God was so strong that he overcame obstacles which would cause most of us to give up!

How does that make you feel? What about all those days, weeks, months, that you have avoided reading the Word because you didn’t have time, or were too tired, or just couldn’t understand it? Let us count our blessings, that most of us only have to pick up the Bible in order to read it! Let us DO IT, DAILY, out of joy for the simple fact that we CAN! Not only are we physically able, but we live in a country where we are still free to do so, still free to purchase and own a Bible; remember that there are MANY that are prevented from this wonderful privilege!

Psalm 34:8;
    “O taste and see that the LORD is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him.”

Matthew 5:6;
    “Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.”

May God bless each and every one of you!
  4. BlackEagle

I have preached to equally small congregations. Will be praying with you on that. You have a "congregation" of hundreds here on the forum.

That puts a new twist on Jer. 15:16--
    Thanks, Terry.

Christians in Scotland 400 years ago could be executed on the spot for having a Bible. I could take you to their monuments and tell their stories; today the same is true for many countries around the world under Communist or Muslim rule.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012
  5. ampaterry

I have heard that if a rattlesnake is cornered, it can become so frenzied that it will accidentally bite itself with its deadly fangs. In the same way, when a person harbors hatred and resentment in his heart, he is often hurt by the poison of his own malice. He thinks he is injuring his enemies by displaying his wrath, but the real harm is inflicted deep within his own soul.
    And there are other, more earthly, reasons for maintaining your temper. I spend a lot of time on the internet, debating with Evolutionists and with Atheists. They can be very difficult to deal with, because they have learned that a Christian can sometimes be driven from the debate podium by sheer disgust at the things they say. When these tactics are tried, I get angry! They will use foul language, stoop to blasphemy, anything to drive a believer from the debate, for then they can claim they drove the Christian away with the truth of their argument.
    I have discovered that there is only one way I can loose one of these debates; loose my temper. As long as I remain calm, and counter their arguments point-by-point, I will always win, because the truth is on my side! As soon as I get angry, however, I will say the wrong thing. I will get flustered and make mistakes that are then pointed out as errors in my argument.
    Whatever you are doing, remember this:

Proverbs 15:1 (KJV); “A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.”

James 1:19-20 (KJV);“Wherefore, my beloved brethren, let every man be swift to hear, slow to speak, slow to wrath: For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God.”

The one who can control his own temper is walking much closer to conquering his own flesh, and therefore closer to God than the one who angers easily.

And, once again, I am preaching to myself here - - -

May God bless you, guys!
  6. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

not so much eh ;)
  7. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Thanks for this Terry.

On another forum I frequent we have some atheist, humanist, spiritualist, satanist and a witch or two that seem to get their jollies coming into the threads Christians are having just to make trouble.

It's sometimes get's extremely difficult to deal with them in a "Christian" manner.

I might also add that it can be dangerous as well. Evil is very real and those that serve the evil one spend a great deal of time praying for evil spirits to attack those they see as enemies. (This can be a dangerous thing for the ill prepared Christian.)

I went through a battle a couple of weeks ago where I literally thought I was going to die! All I could do is cry out unto the LORD. ("Help me Jesus!")

-
  8. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I sometimes miss your daily devotionals but always go back to catch up. Many thought provoking messages. Thank you Terry, from one who has bitten his own tail on more than one occasion.
  9. BlackEagle

Thanks, Terry, and Amen to that. James says the tongue is the hardest thing to control.
  10. ampaterry

Thank you, guys, for that support!!

Tim, an old preacher used to tell us that you are not doing what you should be doing if the devil is not pestering you. The only reason he has for not causing you problems is that he is not worried about you. That is, I believe, what is meant by rejoicing in adversity; when the old scum bucket is attacking you it means you have struck a blow that HURT him!. And in those situations, you handled it exactly correctly!!

For today:

Every now and then, I have to get onto Korban, my Dog, for chasing the wild turkeys out of the yard. He is normally very good, but every once in a while he forgets himself. It reminds me of a fable I once read about a dog who loved to chase other animals. He bragged about his great running skill and said he could catch anything. Well, it wasn't long until his boastful claims were put to the test by a certain rabbit. With ease the little creature outran his barking pursuer. The other animals, watching with glee, began to laugh. The dog was not bothered a bit by their teasing; he simply said: "You forget, I was only running for fun. He was running for his life!"

That does make a difference! Motivation is the most important factor in everything we do. Some are motivated by the hope of power, fame or fortune, like many candidates for political office. Many are motivated by love, which is one of the better motivations. What, exactly, motivates you? Do you work 50 weeks a year looking forward to that two week vacation? Is it the hope of making it to retirement? Or are you motivated by the desire to just make it to the weekend once again?

The Bible gives us some good motivations:

Philippians 3:12-14 (NCV);
    “I do not mean that I am already as God wants me to be. I have not yet reached that goal, but I continue trying to reach it and to make it mine. Christ wants me to do that, which is the reason he made me his. Brothers and sisters, I know that I have not yet reached that goal, but there is one thing I always do. Forgetting the past and straining toward what is ahead, I keep trying to reach the goal and get the prize for which God called me through Christ to the life above.”

1 Corinthians 9:24 (NIV);
    “Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.”

It's fine to look forward to and even anticipate the weekend, the vacation, or retirement. But none of these should be your sole motivation for getting up and going to work every day. If they are, you need to aim a little higher - -

May God bless each one of you -
  11. ampaterry

On this day in 1777, the flag of the United States was adopted by resolution of the second continental congress. Today, this flag has thirteen stripes of alternating red and white represent the original thirteen colonies, and the blue field contains one five pointed star for each state currently in the USA.

The Revolutionary War flags were of many configurations. The one adopted in 1777 had 13 stripes as today, but 13 stars arranged in a circle. Other versions at the time varied quite a bit, one even having “76” under an arch of the 13 stars. When two more states were added, the flag was changed to fifteen stars and fifteen stripes. The number of stars and stripes remained at 15 until 1818, when it was decided to reduce the stripes to 13, increase the stars to the 20 to represent the states then in existence, and to increase the number of stars with each new state. This was done until the 48 star flag was adopted in 1912, and remained until Alaska became a state in January of 1959. The resultant 49 star flag only lasted until Alaska joined in August of that same year.

In my lifetime, I have honored the flag when it had 48 stars, 49 stars, and now with it's present 50 stars. I will proudly honor it with more as well.

It is the Red, White and Blue, Old Glory, the Stars and Stripes, the Star Spangled Banner. It is the symbol of our nation, and symbols are very important to keep us focused on what is truly important in this life.

Heavenly Father, we thank you for this nation which we are so privileged to live in. We thank you for the way you have blessed our country, and each one of us as well. We ask, Lord, that you would continue to maintain us as a beacon of freedom to the world, a place of refuge for the oppressed, a helping hand to the needy, and a strong arm to defend the weak. We also ask that you would influence our leaders to continue to give support to your people in Israel, and guidance to us that we would elect leaders willing to continue this support. We also ask that you would guide us into a path that turns from a society that revels in diversity, and toward a nation of strong people who desire to be one people instead of many; American people.
    And we ask these things in Jesus name -
    Amen -

May God bless each one of you -
  12. reflex1

reflex1 Active Member

Another one to share with the world - thanks Terry!
  13. cutter

cutter New Member

Amen and Thank You for all of your time and trouble. I am very grateful for thid thread, it is very inspiring.:thumbsup:
  14. ampaterry

I sure do appreciate the support, guys!

For today, I will start with a quote from Frank Fried:
    "Folks, the grass is not greener on that side of the fence. And the grass is not greener on this side of the fence. The grass is greener where you water it."

Many people spend their lives chasing dreams; they leave this job for that job, they leave this house for that house, they move from city to city, from state to state, and some even from country to country, always seeking that elusive place where they will find happiness.
    We left Alaska in the late 60’s, and I dreamt for years about returning to that place which held so many fond memories for me. Then some friends of ours from Alaska came to visit us in IL, and we spent a couple days with them. We talked, laughed, and in every way enjoyed ourselves every bit as much as we had enjoyed ourselves in Alaska. I learned a crucial lesson from their visit. Happiness is NOT where you live, or what your job is. Happiness is found in a state, true. It is found in a state of mind.
    I would still like to return to Alaska someday – it is the most beautiful place I have ever seen, and I want to enjoy it again. But I now know that happiness is not found in the physical location of your body, but in the spiritual location of your mind.

1 Cor 7:17, 20-24 (KJV);
    “But as God hath distributed to every man, as the Lord hath called every one, so let him walk. And so ordain I in all churches.”
    “Let every man abide in the same calling wherein he was called. Art thou called being a servant? care not for it: but if thou mayest be made free, use it rather. For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord’s freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ’s servant. Ye are bought with a price; be not ye the servants of men. Brethren, let every man, wherein he is called, therein abide with God.”

Don't waste any more time using Google Earth to find a place where you will be happy. Instead, use the Bible to find happiness where you are right now.

God bless you, guys -
  15. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

that go for pushing things up hill all the time ? when instead i could just rest and take it easy ??