Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

AMENRecently I heard a Paul Washer sermon (not sure if you are familiar with him), but at the start of the sermon he said a prayer that was something on the order of "Heavenly Father, Please help me. In Jesus' name, Amen." I so appreciated this simple yet sincere prayer. A refreshing alternative to the ten minute long public prayers sometimes heard today. Not that long prayers can't be sincere, it just seems that some people ramble on as if they are trying to impress their audience with their spirituality.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  2. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I know the feeling, ROMT.

Amen, Terry;
    One of the most abused prayers is what is called The Lord's Prayer, from Matthew 6. Jesus said "after this manner pray ye:". It is the pattern God set for us to follow when making our petitions from day to day. It covers the bases.
  3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

As I said, guys, there is nothing WRONG with reciting a prayer, but there ARE dangers involved in the habit.
    For my part, it just doesn't feel right to speak to God that way.
    It is sort of like taking my wifes hand, looking deeply into her eyes, then repeating the words that Elvis sang in "Loving You." Every word would be TRUE, but it just does not FEEL right to me.

For today - it is another SPECIAL day!

President Lincoln signed the emancipation proclamation on January 1st of 1863. Several states ignored it, and the civil war continued until General Lee surrendered in April of 1865. On June 19th of 1865, union soldiers landed in Galveston, Texas with the news that the war was over and all slaves were now free. The celebration that resulted became known as Juneteenth, and this day continues to be observed as the oldest known celebration of the ending of slavery.

The emphasis of this day is education and self improvement, and the activities include baseball, rodeos, fishing, and other fun activities. Prayer services are a vital part of the celebration, and the focal point of all activities is the Barbecue pit, where traditional dishes are prepared and enjoyed.

It is a sad commentary on our nation that this day is celebrated almost exclusively by the black community. It is a further condemnation of us that when I type “juneteenth”, my word processor gives me a spelling error notice because it is not even in the standard dictionary!

How do we relate to this day in the 21st century when none of us have experienced slavery?
    Are you saved? If you are, do you remember that overwhelming feeling of being FREE which washed over you when you accepted Christ as Lord of your life?

Christ explained the reason we have this feeling:
    John 8:31-36 (KJV);
    . . “If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
    They answered him, We be Abraham's seed, and were never in bondage to any man: how sayest thou, Ye shall be made free?
    Jesus answered them, “Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever. If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed.

We can, each one of us, honestly repeat the words Dr. Martin Luther King used in his “I have a dream” speech: Free at last, free at last – Thank God almighty, we are free at last!
  4. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

Terry i'll Celebrate when there is no more slavery , but sadly even here we have seen examples of it even in Australia , and while we keep bringing in those who feel it is their god ( not my God ) given right to own slaves there will vbe slaves be they traded variety or "adopted" islamically and called a family member who is worked to death beaten and forced to live in a box , while they are allocated full welfare payments that they never see ..

i read how in Boston and dearborn there have been slave rackets broken their , you think they got them all ??

Pray to End all slavery
  5. ampaterry

I agree, Jack -
    What ended here, and what was celebrated yesterday, is the widespread, open, enforced-by-law slavery where one human being can be OWNED by another, and that ownership is enforced by law. It is a slavery where the slave is property, has no right to redress for wrongs committed against them and they have no more 'civil rights' than a plow or hoe.

For today:

In his book Open the Door Wide to Happy Living, T. Huffman Harris told of a young man named Eddie who became tired of life and decided to leap from a bridge into a turbulent river. Jim, a total stranger, saw Eddie being swept downstream and plunged into the water in an effort to save him. Eddie, a good swimmer, noticed the man floundering desperately in the strong current and knew that without his help he would drown. Something stirred within him. With all of his strength, Eddie swam over to the man and rescued him. Saving that stranger, who had attempted to save him, brought new hope and meaning to Eddie's life.
    Sometimes it does take a crisis to shock us out of a "poor-me attitude." When shocked sufficiently, we can begin to see once again our value to God, by discovering our value to others!
    Have you ever been in the state where you wished you could just step out of all your troubles? I’ve seen a little sign in someone’s desk that said:
    “I’m about to have a nervous breakdown. I worked hard for it; I deserve it; And no one is going to talk me out of it!”
    So that feeling is not reserved for those contemplating suicide; everyone, at one time or another, wants to “stop the world and let me off!” At those times, remember these verses;

John 15:11,12;
    These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full. This is my commandment, That ye love one another, as I have loved you.
    1 Thessalonians 3:11,12;
    “Now God himself and our Father, and our Lord Jesus Christ, direct our way unto you. And the Lord make you to increase and abound in love one toward another, and toward all men, even as we do toward you”

We all - each one of us - has value to God. May God bless each one of you with this sure knowledge.
  6. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

The sad thing is "white" (black market) slavery is very much alive & well in the USA. It just doesn't get any press.

I wouldn't have believed it myself were it not for a friend of my wife almost becoming a victim. My wife & the woman's husband were on assignment in south Texas. (Like on most long assignments the spouses were allowed to go as well.)

The woman had gone to the grocery store at 3 o'clock in the afternoon to buy something for supper. While walking back to her car a van pulled up & someone tried dragging her inside. Fortunately, there was a hero stock boy collecting shopping carts in the lot that saw it happening & came to her aid.

We later discovered that "white" (black market) slavery is still very much alive & well in this country. The authorities believe that a whole lot of missing persons (especially around/near the border) actually end up in South America, Asia & the Middle East as slaves in the drug trade.

The sad thing is, our top government officials actually KNOW this is happening. But, they will not do anything because the strain it will place on foreign relations.

-
  7. ampaterry

I know there has been a great deal of disgust with the French people over the years. The following story indicates that we should never paint with too broad a brush - -

During WWII, some soldiers brought the body of a dead comrade to a French cemetery to have him buried. The priest told them gently that he was bound to ask if their comrade had been a baptized adherent of the Roman Catholic Church. They said that they did not know. The priest said that he was very sorry but in that case he could not permit burial in his churchyard. So the soldiers took their comrade sadly and buried him just outside the fence. The next day they came back to see that the grave was all right and to their astonishment could not find it. Search as they might they could find no trace of the freshly dug soil. As they were about to leave in bewilderment the priest came up. He told them that his heart had been troubled because of his refusal to allow their dead comrade to be buried in the churchyard; so, early in the morning, he had risen from his bed and with his own hands had moved the fence to include the body of the soldier who had died for France.

Eph 2:11-14 (NLT);
    “Don’t forget that you Gentiles used to be outsiders by birth. You were called “the uncircumcised ones” by the Jews, who were proud of their circumcision, even though it affected only their bodies and not their hearts. In those days you were living apart from Christ. You were excluded from God’s people, Israel, and you did not know the promises God had made to them. You lived in this world without God and without hope. But now you belong to Christ Jesus. Though you once were far away from God, now you have been brought near to him because of the blood of Christ.
    For Christ himself has made peace between us Jews and you Gentiles by making us all one people. He has broken down the wall of hostility that used to separate us.”

What a wonderful truth this is for us! God will not change the rules of what is and is not a sin, and we have all failed in this test. So – does he leave us outside? No! Through sacrificing himself in the person of Jesus Christ, he moves the fence! WE are still unworthy, but with the moved fence, we are now on the inside!
  8. Krogen

Krogen Member

That one just made me grin! It's great to be inside the fence!

Thanks, Terry. :) :) :)
  9. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

+1. Great story and great analogy.
  10. BlackEagle

I read this the other day...(English Standard Version (ESV))
    John 10:16
    And I have other sheep that are not of this fold. I must bring them also, and they will listen to my voice. So there will be one flock, one shepherd.

Thanks, Terry
  11. ampaterry

Thank you for the support here, guys - I appreciate it!

Dr. Michael DeBakey of Houston, Texas is a noted heart surgeon. He received a letter from a seven year old girl named Linda Griggs from Pittsburg in which she asked “Does a plastic heart have love in it?”.
    He wrote the little girl back, and said “Yes, a plastic heart has love in it, a great deal of love. The love in a plastic heart comes from many people who love other people, and don't want them to die. So these people work all day and often all night to build a heart that will make people live longer. If you think of how much love there would be in hundreds of hearts, then that is how much love there is in a plastic heart.”

1 Peter 1:22, 23;
    “Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently: Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.”

Reading those letters reminded me of a patent I hold on a High Voltage connection device. The patent rights are in the possession of my former employer, so I no longer have any financial interest in this device. But I still hope LOTS of people buy it, because it has one main thrust – it is SAFER than any other device of it’s type on the market. Once installed, it will operate perfectly as long as it is not physically damaged without a problem, and there will never be a safety issue with it. Considering the fact that it will contain 15,000 volts and more, that is quite a claim, but it is absolutely true!

Whatever you do, have a greater motive than just making a dollar from it. Whatever your occupation, perform it for the good of man, for the good of the earth, for the glory of God; THAT, much more than the paycheck, makes for a worthwhile career, and a successful and fulfilling life!

May God bless each one of you -
  12. ampaterry

An incident is told about two soldiers who had recently been released from a prison camp in Siberia following World War II. "We did our best," said an officer, "to return the men as fast as possible, but many were still there when winter threatened to close up the port." Only a limited number could board the last small boat. Among those waiting to be transported were two who had been chums all through the war. One of them was selected, but the other seemed doomed to remain behind. An order was given that those who were leaving could take only one important item of luggage. One duffel bag, that’s it! Any one who has been in the service knows one bag means one bag!! The heart of the man who was chosen went out to his buddy, so he emptied his dufflebag of its prized souvenirs and his personal belongings, every scant little item he had managed to save during these trying times, and told his companion to get into the canvas sack. Then carefully lifting the bag on his shoulders, he boarded the ship with his friend as his single, most precious possession. The service allowed this, because they are sticklers for rules and regulations, and the rules said one bag, but did not mention the contents!

Have you ever talked to anyone that has survived Prison Camp? They will have a scrap of cloth, perhaps a hidden bible, little tiny things that helped them to maintain their sanity during their imprisonment, things which are all the physical possessions they had during these terrible times, which they consider very important to them! All of these, he dumped on the ground – and carried out his friend. Why do this? His friend was in no danger, he would be well cared for – but he would arrive home later than need be.

Galatians 5:13-14 (KJV);

For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

This man truly loved his neighbor as himself. Do you?
  13. Krogen

Krogen Member

Great point, Terry. Sure makes one think. My first reaction was "of course, I'd dump my belongings and carry out a friend." In that same situation, I'm sure I'd do that. . . . Or would I? Then I thought about similar, but less grave situations that occur on a daily basis. I don't think I perform so well in those.

I'm looking in that mirror again. Thanks for clarifying the picture. I have plenty of room for some improvement.
  14. BlackEagle

Thanks, Terry;
    John 15:12-14 says similar things:
  15. ampaterry

Thank you for that encouragement, guys!

For today, I turn my memory back many years to the time that Judy and I were first married, and lived in Alaska. I remember our first Christmas together. We were living in Fairbanks, and the cost of living is SO high there, I was in the service, she had a job too, but we were barely getting by. We drove our old car out of town and cut a Christmas tree. We did not steal it; the land was open up there then. Most of the state was open land which could still be homesteaded at that time. We picked out a ceiling high tree and brought it home. It fit perfectly in our little tiny house, because although it was floor to ceiling in height, it was only about 2 to 3 feet wide. We decorated it and admired it’s perfect fit. Then it started to thaw out. The branches opened until it almost filled our living room! It covered half of the couch and one chair! We could barely get through the living room due to it’s huge size!

Later, we found out that this was an Alaska White Spruce, and this is the way they survive the Alaska winters; they pull their branches tight against their trunk so they do not accumulate snow. Other trees would accumulate so much snow their branches would be broken in the long winters accumulation. The Alaska White Spruce just lets the snow slide off and accumulate on the ground.

We need to learn a lesson from this Northern tree. When all the troubles of life start piling up on us – we need to just let them slide off, and not hang on to them!

Matthew 11:28-30;
    “Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”

1 Peter 5:6-7;
    “Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that he may exalt you in due time: Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.”

Jesus is waiting to handle that burden for you; that burden that WILL break you if you do not let it go.
    Let it GO!

May God richly bless each one of you -