Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

a timely reminder , if one is able to do so

sometimes life ( for want of a better description) keeps tossing the crap in your lap

but yeah standing should help .. ;)

cheers Terry
  2. hjsmith00843

hjsmith00843 Member

Daughter just left for her Sunday service. She will be getting baptized today. Wish I could go and be there with here. Crowds make me too nervous.
  3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

That is indeed easier said than done, Jack -

hjsmith, I am happy and sad for you.
    Happy that your daughter is following our Lord in Baptism.
    Sad that you did not witness this joyous event.
    I do indeed understand the feeling: MANY times I have driven home from work and wished DEARLY that I could dynamite our driveway bridge behind me, never to leave again.
    But that is something we must fight against, because our purpose for living cannot be accomplished in solitude. I will keep this in prayer -

For today:

A man had a friend who enlarged his business. His sales had increased to the point that a larger warehouse and sales office were needed. Even though the move was a rather complicated and burdensome process, it was really a thing to be celebrated. For this reason, the man sent his friend some flowers on the day of his grand opening.
    The flowers, however, were poorly handled and the businessman received a bouquet that was intended for a funeral. It was accompanied with a card which said: "My deepest sympathy during this time of sorrow." When the man called his friend on the phone to wish him well, he was confronted with the error, "Why in the world," said the businessman, "did you send me these sympathy flowers?" The man went immediately to the florist to demand an explanation. The florist met him outside the shop and was obviously upset. "I am terribly sorry about the mix-up with the flowers," he said, "but I hope you will be understanding. Your situation is not half as bad as the one down at the funeral home. The folks there received your flowers accompanied by the card which said: BEST WISHES IN YOUR NEW LOCATION."

I think the florist was wrong; that is the perfect wreath for the one deceased. Our desire is that their new location is a better one! But for the lost, that sympathy bouquet sent to the survivors applies also to the the one who has passed on.

Christ tells us:
    Revelation 22:12-13;
    And, behold, I come quickly; and my reward is with me, to give every man according as his work shall be. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last."

May we run a good race, and fight a good fight – and in the end – may we find ourselves in a joyous new location!
  4. ampaterry

There is a Native American saying that is translated as: "When you were born, you cried, and the world rejoiced. Live your life such that when you die, the world cries, and you rejoice."

What a wonderful saying! I believe that those folks who restrict their reading to only the Bible miss an awful lot that is in the Bible! You often need to see something from another source to remind you of just exactly what the Bible means!

And which version? I use most versions of the Bible! That is why I quote verses from different versions. The KJV is the best; it is the closest version to the original Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek that is easy to find, yet understandable. Each version, however, has something special to emphasize, I believe. Today we will go from a Native American saying to two different bible versions of two sections of scripture;

Philippians 1:21-24 (RSV);
    “For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. If it is to be life in the flesh, that means fruitful labor for me. Yet which I shall choose I cannot tell. I am hard pressed between the two. My desire is to depart and be with Christ, for that is far better. But to remain in the flesh is more necessary on your account.”

2 Timothy 4:6-8 (TLB);
    “I say this because I won’t be around to help you very much longer. My time has almost run out. Very soon now I will be on my way to heaven. I have fought long and hard for my Lord, and through it all I have kept true to him. And now the time has come for me to stop fighting and rest. In heaven a crown is waiting for me, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on that great day of his return. And not just to me but to all those whose lives show that they are eagerly looking forward to his coming back again.”

And all of that fits together so perfectly. That’s enough to make you believe there was one source for all true wisdom, isn’t it?

May God bless each one of you -
  5. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

For a change I sometimes like the Cotton Patch version; more a paraphrase than translation, but down to earth.

I hope God leaves you around a while longer--the Daily Devotionals are a blessing.
  6. ampaterry

I enjoy that one also, BlackEagle -
    And thank you!

For today -

After years of service in South Africa, the famous missionary Robert Moffat returned to Scotland to recruit helpers. When he arrived at the church one cold wintry night, he was dismayed that only a small group had come out to hear him. What bothered him even more was that the only people in attendance were ladies. Although he was grateful for their interest, he had hoped to challenge men. He had chosen as his text Proverbs 8:4, "Unto you, O men I call." In his discouragement he almost failed to notice one small boy in the loft pumping the bellows of the organ. Moffat felt frustrated as he gave the message, for he realized that very few women could be expected to undergo the rigorous life in undeveloped jungles. But God works in mysterious ways.

Although no one volunteered that evening, the young fellow assisting the organist was deeply moved by the challenge. As a result, he promised God he would follow in the footsteps of this pioneer missionary. And he remained true to his vow. When he grew up, he went and ministered to the unreached tribes of Africa. His name was David Livingstone! Moffat never ceased to wonder that his appeal which he had intended for men had stirred a young boy, who eventually became a mighty power of God.

There are still, today in 2012, many cities and towns in the world that still have no organized evangelical witness! The missionary call has never been more urgent. I pray that as you share this story, someone may respond to this great need!

Matthew 28:18-20, KJV;
    “And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Obey this great commission! You cannot all go to the jungles to spread God’s word, but wherever you are, whatever your situation, be a witness there for Jesus Christ!
  7. ampaterry

Edersheim, in The Life and Times of Jesus the Messiah, outlines the most elaborate of Jewish washings:
    Water jars were kept ready to be used before a meal. The minimum amount of water to be used was a quarter of a log, which is defined as enough to fill one and a half eggshells. The water was first poured on both hands, held with the fingers pointed upwards, and must run up the arm as far as the wrist. It must drop off from the wrist, for the water was now itself unclean, having touched the unclean hands, and, if it ran down the fingers again, it would again render them unclean. The process was repeated with the hands held in the opposite direction, with the fingers pointing down; and then finally each hand was cleansed by being rubbed with the fist of the other. A really strict Jew would do all this, not only before a meal, but also between each of the courses.

Mark 7:1-8;
    “Then came together unto him the Pharisees, and certain of the scribes, which came from Jerusalem. And when they saw some of his disciples eat bread with defiled, that is to say, with unwashen, hands, they found fault. For the Pharisees, and all the Jews, except they wash their hands oft, eat not, holding the tradition of the elders. And when they come from the market, except they wash, they eat not. And many other things there be, which they have received to hold, as the washing of cups, and pots, brazen vessels, and of tables. Then the Pharisees and scribes asked him, Why walk not thy disciples according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashen hands? He answered and said unto them, 'Well hath Esaias prophesied of you hypocrites, as it is written, This people honoureth me with their lips, but their heart is far from me. Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men. For laying aside the commandment of God, ye hold the tradition of men, as the washing of pots and cups: and many other such like things ye do.'

Elaborate ceremonies are of Man, not of God. Christ has removed the veil which hides the holy of holies, the presence of God, from mankind. No longer do we go through the office of a high priest, with elaborate ceremonies in order to approach the throne!

May God bless each one of you -
  8. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

very good Terry ,

a good and timely reminder
    we get caught up with the BS of man and process and forget the simple Truths of God ..
  9. BlackEagle

Thanks, for the reminder,Terry.

Matthew 23, Jesus really rips into the Pharisees for their man-made laws.
    vv 25-26 hit hard at their cleanliness fettish:
    “Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and the plate, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. You blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and the plate, that the outside also may be clean."

We need to be clean from the inside out, and only His blood can do (and has done) that for us.
  10. ampaterry

Thanks, guys!

For today -

Some time ago a Torah Court in New York excommunicated Senator lieberman. Now this court has no LEGAL authority, and there are some synagogues that did not even recognize their decision, but there is a lesson here. Across the nation, and around the world, different Rabbis have spoken out on this particular decision.
    There is no doubt the Torah was properly interpreted by this court.
    There is no doubt that Senator Lieberman, by some of his votes in the senate on abortions, among other things, had acted against the Torah teachings.
    But in reality, for a member of a faith to break with the tradition of that faith is not so unusual as to cause this action to take place. What most Rabbis agree on is that Senator Lieberman brought this action about through his references to his faith, by his answering questions concerning Judaism, by setting himself up as a spokesman for the faith, and then not living according to the teachings of that faith.

The moral of this story is that there are those that work very hard to follow God, and there are those that don’t work so hard to follow him, but the ones that get into the worst trouble are those that ACT like they are working hard to follow God while in reality they do not.
    I know some wonderful Christians who attend Church every Sunday. I know some wonderful Christians who attend much less frequently. But the position to be avoided the hardest is the position of attending church every Sunday, and then forgetting everything about the teachings of Jesus Christ as you drive out of the Church parking lot.

Luke 18:10-14;
    Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

May God bless each one of you!
  11. ampaterry

Did you ever stop to think about just what part of Jesus life has been recorded for us to study? Actually, there are altogether only about 50 days of Jesus' ministry mentioned in all the combined gospels.
    Jesus' earthly ministry lasted at least three years, or 1080 days (360 days per year). That means 4.63 percent of the days that Jesus was actively ministering are actually recorded in the gospels. If Jesus’ complete earthly ministry were represented by $100.00, we have only learned about $4.63 of it! Imagine all of the teaching, the conversations, and the ministry that we never heard about, that happened during the other 95.37% of his ministry life! And remember that he was in the temple discussing with the Rabbis when only a child, so there is even more that we have not learned of Him! Imagine if we could learn of his entire life – that would be ten times longer – now we only know 46 cents out of the hundred dollars!

No wonder John wrote:
    John 21:25, KJV);
    “And there are also many other things which Jesus did, the which, if they should be written every one, I suppose that even the world itself could not contain the books that should be written. Amen.”
    John 20:30-31 (KJV);
    “And many other signs truly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book: But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.”

Not everything is recorded; in fact, just a tiny fraction is recorded! Why? Because we are told what we need to know in order to know him, accept him as our personal savior, and be saved! But then, we continue to know him better day by day; we walk with him, and learn of him for our entire earthly lives, and then – according to Johns letter to the Corinthians:
    I Corinthians 13:12, (KJV);
    “For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.”

As wonderful as our relationship here is with Jesus Christ, the BEST – is yet to come!
  12. Krogen

Krogen Member

Right on, Terry! There is so much we don't know - yet. That's the basis of faith. The patience I need isn't so easy for me. I want to know NOW! But I need to remind myself to have faith. Faith and patience kind of go together.
  13. ampaterry

Krogen, that reminds me of my wifes prayer:
    Lord give me patience -
    NOW!
    LOL!!

For today:

Let's look at how Jesus measured up to current standards of success:
    Was he popular? No. He was not well-liked. In fact, after one of his sermons, all of his followers deserted him, except for the Twelve Apostles.
    Did he have political power? No. He was a political failure. All levels of government first rejected him, then conspired to kill him.
    Did he have lots of friends? No. His friends often hurt him, eventually abandoned him, and one of them betrayed him to death.
    Did he have money and possessions? No. No house, no "wheels", no world headquarters, no Christian amusement park.
    Did he have peer respect? No. His professional peers (Pharisees) rejected his work.
    Despite his apparent failure by these standards, Jesus Christ has changed the lives of millions of men and women across the centuries. How could he, in light of his failures? Because he was exactly what the world should have expected!

Isaiah 53:4-9 (KJV);
    Surely he hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted. But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.
    All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the LORD hath laid on him the iniquity of us all. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth. He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? For he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken. And he made his grave with the wicked, and with the rich in his death; because he had done no violence, neither was any deceit in his mouth.

May God bless each one of you!
  14. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

for a apparent "nobody' he sure had some powerful enemies .. ;)

ya dont get that for nothin ;)
  15. BlackEagle

Amen, Terry;
    Psalm 22 is another passage.
    See how David was chosen to be king of Israel...the least of all Jesse's sons: 1 Sam. 16.
    God doesn't always select the leaders we would normally choose.