Daily Devotional; formerly Chaplains Corner

Discussion in 'Religious Discussions' started by ampaterry, Apr 24, 2011.

1. reflex1

reflex1 Active Member

BE - you are wrong - you can become president - both your parents are/were US citizens - therefore you are eligible - just like my daughter who was born in Germany while I was in the Air Force - my wife and I were both born here in the US - my daughter has a Naturalized Citizen Certificate which makes her eligible to become President. I worked in the field to know this to be true!
  2. BlackEagle

BlackEagle Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Darn. If that's true the country missed a great oportunity. I could have kept things going right in the US. :D

I'm a little past my sell-by date now though.
  3. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Reflex is right, BlackEagle -

And I volunteer to head up your campaign in Tennessee -

Devotional for today involves another recognized day. Today, our Jewish brothers and sisters observe the fast of Tzom Tammuz. The name is merely the date; the 15th of the Hebrew month of Tammuz. This fast is to remember the misdeeds of their forefathers which led to calamities to the Jewish people on this date, which they commemorate in hopes of turning their hearts to repentance.

The calamities which occurred on this day begin with Moses descending Sinai and finding the people worshiping a golden calf, causing him to smash the stone tablets on which God had written the ten commandments, and end with the seizing of Jewish property by Libya in 1944. Some of the other tragedies that happened on this date include the Romans breaching the walls of Jerusalem just prior to the destruction of the second temple.

I find it very interesting that all of the calamaties remembered on this day are remembered as the result of things which the Jewish people themselves did. They see the tragedies of their past, and seek to avoid them in the future by improving themselves. This attitude is unique in the entire area of the mid-East, for the Muslims that surround Israel blame all of their troubles on the Jews. People of high moral character take responsibility for their actions; often taking responsibility for things that are not their fault. People of low moral character blame someone else for all of their problems.

Genesis 3:11-13 (KJV);
    “And he said, Who told thee that thou wast naked? Hast thou eaten of the tree, whereof I commanded thee that thou shouldest not eat? And the man said, The woman whom thou gavest to be with me, she gave me of the tree, and I did eat. And the LORD God said unto the woman, What is this that thou hast done? And the woman said, The serpent beguiled me, and I did eat.”

Adam tried to put the guilt on Eve and Eve tried to put it on the serpent.

Paul said of Christ:
    Romans 4:25 (KJV);
    “Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.”

Christ took the guilt of the whole world on himself.
    Although the Jewish people do not accept Christ as the Messiah, they walk far closer to him than any of their neighbors, and closer than some that bear the name “Christian”.

May God bless each and every one of you on this Lord's Day.
  4. reflex1

reflex1 Active Member

Reminds me of someone in particular? :rolleyes:
  5. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

The same thing occured to me. Either great minds think alike, or the truth is glaringly obvious.
  6. ampaterry

You are both right.

1. It reminds me of someone in particular also.
    2. It is glaringly obvious.
    3. Great minds DO think alike.

Thank you, guys!
  7. BlackEagle

The same thought immediately jumped into my mind. Play the blame game or be honest, 'fess up and change, correct the problem, do whatever it takes to make it right.

2 Chronicles 7:14 is another verse that jumps to mind, among many others...We own up to what we have done wrong and turn around (repent) and go back to God's ways.

Thanks for the vote of confidence.:)
  8. ampaterry

When we lived in Alaska, we marveled at the Totem Poles that were carved by native Alaskans, both the old generation and younger folks. When you look at those intricate works of art, you can imagine a native American sitting for many long weeks with a small knife, skillfully removing a chip here, creating a curve there, and with the patience of the master craftsman creating one of these art pieces from what had been just a log.

In the dim past, this scene might be correct, but not today! Most of these artists do ALL of their cutting with a chain saw! It is beyond belief to watch one of them swing a blade into a log and see chips fly out in a stream for a few seconds, then they stop for a second, the sawdust clears, and there in the log is a feature of a face! After a few more deft strokes, the complete figure is there, and they move on to the next one, finishing the entire log in a matter of minutes instead of weeks. It is difficult to imagine the skill with which a chain saw can be applied to bring forth a work of art! But these artisans have a pattern in their mind, and they quickly bring the plain log into that design.

As the Master Sculptor, God is at work in our lives. We may think that He must always use small, delicate instruments, removing a chip here, shaping a curve there, but sometimes He uses a chainsaw! Or so it seems to us in our pain and anguish during some of the re-shaping he does to us! But let us not fear, for He has a pattern in His mind for each of us, and He is shaping us into that design.

Ephesians 2:8-10 (KJV);
    “For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.”

Don’t argue with the artist concerning the tools he chooses to form us to his design! Just accept the simple fact that he has a pattern, and we are being shaped to it!

May God bless each and every one of you -
  9. BlackEagle

Amen, and thanks, Terry.
    God has a plan for our lives and it's better than anything we could come up with ourselves. He has put each of us together to serve a particular purpose. My toolbox is full of individual tools; each has a particular shape, size, and task.
    Psalm 139
  10. ampaterry

This article was written by a pastor in Servant magazine, January/February, 1989.

I was in the supermarket one day, and a lady came down the aisle whom I could barely see over the top of her groceries. I got somewhat frightened because she seemed to be heading straight for me.
    She screeched to a halt within a few feet of me, peered over her load, wagged her finger, and said, "I left your church. I left your church".
    So I said, "Well, if it's my church, I think that was a very wise decision. If it's my church, I think I'm going to leave too."
    She said, "Don't you want to know why I left?"
    I said, "No, not particularly, but I think I'm going to find out". And I was right.
    She said, "You weren't meeting my needs".
    I answered, "I don't ever recollect seeing you before, let alone talking to you, let alone knowing your needs. Did you ever tell anyone specifically what your needs were?"
    She couldn't recall that she had, so I raised another question. "Can you tell me, if we have 5,000 people sitting in that church, all with your attitude, how anyone's needs are going to be met? If you reserve the right to have that attitude, then you must give everybody the freedom to have that attitude. And if everybody has that attitude, who on earth is going to do all the need-meeting?"
    Standing her ground, she demanded, "Then you tell me who will."
    Relieved, I said, "I thought you'd never ask. This is what will work: when people stop sitting in the pew saying, 'They're not meeting my needs' and start saying, 'Whose needs can I meet?' Then needs will be met. When the servant spirit flourishes in a congregation, then they minister to each other as unto the Lord."

Now there’s a message that EVERY pastor wants to give, but darned few ever do. That is an advantage of being a non-paid pastor; NOTHING interferes with me giving you the truth, because my livelihood does not depend upon you liking what I tell you!!

May God bless each one of you with the opportunity to meet someones needs today.
    And may He bless you further by having someone meet your needs as well!
  11. BlackEagle

Old joke: The difference between a layman and a pastor is that a pastor is good because he's paid to be good. The layman is good for nothing.

Good for a laugh, but not true.

Hebrews 10:24-25 says we need to be thinking how we can help others in the fellowship.

Eph. 4:11-13 says the pastor's work is to build up/equip the saints to do the work of the ministry.

Thanks again, Terry
  12. ampaterry

LOL!!

Good verses, too, BlackEagle!

For today:

Since there is some confusion in the matter about exactly what ‘the church’ is, I thought this list might prove helpful:

The church is not:
    * An ark for the saving of a select few.
    * A ferryboat to take effortless passengers to the shores of heaven.
    * A life insurance company, with no obligation on policy holders except the payment of a small annual premium.
    * A social set, welcoming certain people and excluding others from its fellowship.
    * A Sunday pleasure club for providing a pleasant distraction on the day of rest.

The church is:
    * A lifeboat for the rescue of sin-wrecked and perishing souls.
    * A family, in which love and service are expected from each member to each member.
    * An organized community, with constant activities and continual growth and development.
    * A company of believers who have found the one way of life and obey the one Lord of life.
    * A union of those who love for the benefit of those who suffer.
    * A center of social worship, in which the spiritual life of each is helped by the spiritual life of his neighbor.
    * The representative -- the "body" -- of Jesus Christ on the earth, reflecting his spirit and controlled by his will.

Ephesians 1:22-23 (TLB);
    “And God has put all things under his feet and made him the supreme Head of the Church which is his body, filled with himself, the Author and Giver of everything everywhere.”

May God richly bless each one of you -
  13. BlackEagle

The Church is solidly built from Living Stones...

1 Peter 2:4-6
    The Church is the Bride of Christ, the Body of Christ...composed of God's People who build each other up, strengthen, encourage, help, challenge one another.

Amen to that, Terry. Thanks.
  14. ampaterry

Great points, BlackEagle!

For today:

If you are a King Of The Hill fan, as I am, you remember the episode where Dale is working at Stick-Tech in personnel as the official firer, a job no one else wanted. There actually are special services that do nothing but help employers to gracefully get rid of people that are no longer needed!
    This article, written some years ago, was found in a church bulletin, and you might find it of interest to you. It's written by a Pastor, and titled, "How to Get Rid of a Pastor."

Not long ago a well-meaning group of laymen came from a neighboring church to see me. They wanted me to advise them on some convenient and painless method of getting rid of their pastor. I'm afraid, however, that I wasn't much help to them. At the time I had not had the occasion to give the matter serious thought. But since then I have pondered the matter a great deal, and the next time anyone comes for advice on how to get rid of a pastor, here's what I'll tell him:
    * Look the pastor straight in the eye while he's preaching and say "Amen" once in a while and he'll preach himself to death.
    * Pat him on the back and brag on his good points and he'll probably work himself to death.
    * Rededicate your life to Christ and ask the preacher for some job to do, preferably some lost person you could win to Christ, and he'll die of heart failure.
    * Get the church to unite in prayer for the preacher and he'll soon become so effective that a larger church will take him off your hands.

Hebrews 13:17 (NAS);
    “Obey your leaders and submit to them, for they keep watch over your souls as those who will give an account. Let them do this with joy and not with grief, for this would be unprofitable for you.”

May God bless each one of you, guys!
  15. ampaterry

In his book Harvest of Humanity, John Seamands told this story:

A German soldier was wounded. He was ordered to go to the military hospital for treatment. When he arrived at the large and imposing building, he saw two doors, one marked, "For the slightly wounded," and the other, "For the seriously wounded."
    He entered through the first door and found himself going down a long hall. At the end of it were two more doors, one marked, "For officers" and the other, "For non-officers." He entered through the latter and found himself going down another long hall. At the end of it were two more doors, one marked, "For party members" and the other, "For non-party members." He took the second door, and when he opened it he found himself out on the street.

When the soldier returned home, his mother asked him, "How did you get along at the hospital?"

"Well, Mother," he replied, "to tell the truth, the people there didn't do anything for me, but you ought to see the tremendous organization they have!"

Does that story remind you of anything? Does it sound a bit like a church you might have attended? Great organization – but it is hollow; there is nothing there for you; you leave in the exact same condition you arrived in.

Revelation 3:1-3 (KJV);
    “And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead. Be watchful, and strengthen the things which remain, that are ready to die: for I have not found thy works perfect before God. Remember therefore how thou hast received and heard, and hold fast, and repent. If therefore thou shalt not watch, I will come on thee as a thief, and thou shalt not know what hour I will come upon thee.”

May God bless each one of you!