Daisy Cutters & Bunker Busters

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by Guest, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Xracer
    Senior Chief Moderator Staff
    (11/6/01 8:55:44 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Daisy Cutters & Bunker Busters
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "The bombing, which has included the use of 5,000-pound bunker-busters, came as American Special Operations forces deepened their involvement in the conflict."

"On Sunday, for the first time, the Air Force dropped a 15,000-pound fuel-air explosion bomb on Taliban positions behind the front lines. The weapon, a "Daisy Cutter," was used in the last year of the Vietnam War."

www.nytimes.com/2001/11/0...6MILI.html

Looks like we're using some serious ordnance now.

Flhunter
    V.I.P. Forum Host
    (11/6/01 12:16:30 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Daisy Cutters & Bunker Busters
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I bet it took their breath away...

Why is simplification a longer word than complexity?

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/6/01 4:51:51 pm)
    I thought Daisy Cutters were straight explosive-packed bombs - what's this fuel-air (FAE) business about??

Rich

Edited by: rayra at: 11/6/01 4:52:12 pm

Xracer
    (11/6/01 6:19:32 pm)
    Not sure what the air/fuel thing is....here's some info on the "Daisy Cutter":

www.fas.org/man/dod-101/s...blu-82.htm

LIKTOSHOOT
    (11/6/01 6:57:01 pm)
    Basic modern fertilizer bomb and not much more. The slurry contained within it, upon bursting just above the ground, it accelerates itself with super heat expansion (simple mans term) it feeds itself and at the same time consumes all the oxygen around it`s area causing it to rapidly expand. This is a simple no yield nuke, that how it works.......principal. LTS
    America, we are the symbol of Freedom and Liberty......

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/6/01 8:24:50 pm)
    seems like the nytimes and CNN have gotten their mil briefings mixed up, they've both reported it to be a fuel-air -type weapon.

I know there was a briefing a couple days ago where the types of ordinance being used in Afghanistan was discussed - seems like some reporters got their crib notes mixed up, and it's now being echoed by other news agencies.

LIKTOSHOOT
    (11/6/01 11:16:31 pm)
    Its the same thing by different names. We dropped about eight or nine during Desert Storm.

rayra
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/6/01 11:57:39 pm)
    same thing in the sense of massive overpressure, but isn't a fuel-air weapon exploded well above a target for the fuel to disperse, then ignited by a secondary charge for the flashover?
    My understanding is the Daisy Cutter uses a standoff probe / detonator to set it off a few feet above the ground?

In any case, a fearsome blast!

LIKTOSHOOT
    (11/7/01 12:59:31 pm)
    raya, that is correctamundo.

polishshooter
    (11/9/01 6:41:34 pm)
    Yeah, I thought the CBU-32 is HE, the Fuel/Air bomb detonates fuel droplets that is vaporized by a preliminary charge above the ground, then the main charge ignites the vapor...both were used in Nam to clear landing zones.

I was getting confused too, the various news agencies were confusing them...

The 32 we used in the Gulf like it said to clear mines, and I heard pretty effectively, they said inconclusively.

But the main use was psyops, one of the FEW good ideas Swartzkopf came up with...he sat in on a psyops meeting discussing leaflets we were going to drop telling about the bomb, and he said, "Why don't we tell them where we are going to drop it?"

So we did...dropped one on the minefield away from troop positions, then dropping leaflets saying that tomorrow we drop one right on YOUR position, and did.

Only took ONE time...added ALOT of credibility to our leaflets...next time Iraqi soldiers scrambled to pick up leaflets, then lots of surrenders and running before the next bomb dropped.

I read somewhere all unprotected eardrums burst within a three mile diameter from the "overpressure" of the blast...

I had also heard we were considering the F/As for use over poppy fields...
    We must make war as we must; not as we would like. - Field Marshal Kitchener, 1915

17th FA Bn
    V.I.P. Member
    (11/15/01 2:35:36 pm)
    Like was said before, it sounds like the media mixed up two bombs. The 15,000 lb. is a regular HE bomb, just extremely large. The 15,000 lb. can be set for a surface burst (a daisey cutter), or set to go off at any altitude above the target.

The fuel air explosive has fuel spread by a small bursting charge, forming a vapor cloud of flammable vapor, which is then ignited. Pound for pound a fuel air explosive is more powerful than HE, but they are more complicated. The vapor cloud needs to have just the right mixture to ignite. To lean or to rich and it will not ignite. A perfect vapor cloud would have no fire afterwards, all the fuel would be consumed in the initial blast and converted to blast energy.

In the Gulf War, a British commando team was operating near the area where a 15,000 lb.bomb was seat off. When they saw the mushroom cloud that was created they thought a small nuke had been set off.

Edited by: 17th FA Bn at: 11/15/01 2:39:46 pm

RGRWJB
    (1/1/02 12:33:28 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Daisy Cutters & Bunker Busters
    I can tell you it's no fun for those guys to be even in the area when they go off.

When I was in Ranger school they put us in a big cement bunker and had a battery of 105s drop rounds right on top of the bunker. That was not a nice experience.

But then again all of Ranger School was a bad night mare I finally woke up from.

Tac401
    Administrator
    (1/1/02 11:53:35 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Daisy Cutters & Bunker Busters
    Sounds pretty nasty RGRWJB!