Damascus Barrel Identification

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mikeyg, May 8, 2012.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg New Member

Attempting to identify when and where my great-great-great grandfather's shotgun is from.

image.jpg

From the markings, and what I have found so far, it appears to be pre-1893 ( the ELG without a crown), 16.4mm bore.

I know the N with a star over it is probably the controller of proof's mark, and what I think looks like a wireless signal indicator, (((--, is the proof of breeching system. Other than that, I have no ideas what the 0, 3, T, and D stand for, nor what appears to be an IL, and a small squiggly type thing in the far left of the picture.

It is branded 'National', which from what I understand means it was from the H. & D. Folsom Arms Company.

Barrel has 'Fine Laminated Steel' on it, but from what I have picked up, that just describes the damascus barrel.

Thanks for any information anyone has.
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Vorisek's list of shotgun brand names lists National as used by Jules Kaufmann and Henri Pieper, both of Belgium.