1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Damascus Barrel Identification

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mikeyg, May 8, 2012.

1. mikeyg

mikeyg New Member

Attempting to identify when and where my great-great-great grandfather's shotgun is from.

image.jpg

From the markings, and what I have found so far, it appears to be pre-1893 ( the ELG without a crown), 16.4mm bore.

I know the N with a star over it is probably the controller of proof's mark, and what I think looks like a wireless signal indicator, (((--, is the proof of breeching system. Other than that, I have no ideas what the 0, 3, T, and D stand for, nor what appears to be an IL, and a small squiggly type thing in the far left of the picture.

It is branded 'National', which from what I understand means it was from the H. & D. Folsom Arms Company.

Barrel has 'Fine Laminated Steel' on it, but from what I have picked up, that just describes the damascus barrel.

Thanks for any information anyone has.
  2. hrf

hrf Well-Known Member

Vorisek's list of shotgun brand names lists National as used by Jules Kaufmann and Henri Pieper, both of Belgium.