Damascus Double Barrel

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Mainer, Sep 23, 2006.

1. Mainer

Mainer New Member

Attached Files:

2. ryan_marine

ryan_marine New Member

I have only seen 2 similar actions and both were damascus barreled shotguns. I would also love to know more about them... The only thing I can say don't shoot modern ammo in it. It is too much pressure on the barrels..

Ray
  3. Goody

Goody Member

This is from the Stahdard Catalog of Firearms(Schwing)

American Arms Co.

Fox Model "Swing Out" Hammer Double
    Manufactured from 1870 to 1884, designed by George H. Fox, not to be confused with A. H. Fox. This model is unusual in that the barrel swings to the right for loading and the barrel release is located on the tang. It comes in 10 and 12 gauge, 26", 28", 30", 32", with twist, Damascus or laminated barrels. Early production models have conventional soldered together barrels. Later variations after 1878 feature a unique design in that the barrels are dovetailed together. These guns could be ordered with several options and choices of finish; this would add premium value to a particular gun.

Poor $150
    Fair $300
    Good $600
    VG $1500
    Exc. ---
  4. Red Neck64

Red Neck64 Former Guest

Mainer,You have a wonderful old time shotgun don't shoot it at all.She did her work in times past,and now is her time to have respected place in a collection I wish I had her.
  5. Mainer

Mainer New Member

Thanks for the help everyone.

The gun was my grandfather's and will be handed off to my son the next time I head out west to Utah to visit him. I doubt that it will ever be fired again. There are some repairs that need to made to the stock, but only enough to preserve it, and of course it only likes black powder. I am just thankfull that I came into possesion of it. I must have picked it up a thousand times as a boy. I am just happy to have it back in the family. Time has been good to it, and hopefully it will always stay in the family from now on. I can just see my own grandson sighting down those long barells just as I did as a boy.
    Thanks again,
    Mainer
  6. stash247

stash247 New Member

Damascus is a funny kind of medium; The very best damascus barrels were stronger than the early 'fluid steel' barrels, and with proper proving, are safe with light to moderate smokeless loads, I am told.
    Ive shot several Damascus barrels with such loads, on marvelous guns!
    But, do not assume ANYTHING, about chamber dimensions!
    A 2 3/4 12 Ga shell will chamber, in a shotgun chambered for a 2 9/16 shell, but, if fired, may well split the barrel! Even a 'proved ' barrel, for the shorter round, because of the 'bore restriction, at the 'forcing cone'!
    If you are content with a family heirloom, ignore this.
    OTOH, if the idea of it being a 'shooting gun', albeit seldom, enters your mind, for your son, grandson... Do the checking, proving, and all the legwork, and, DOCUMENT IT! Leave nothing that might maim, or kill, your progeny, to question! The documentation, in this case, far exceeds the value of the gun!
    I expect, in this case, that the Damascus steel in the barrels would not 'prove up', as it was not a really 'high grade' gun, in it's time, but I really do not know, for sure.
    Were it a Purdy, or similar, the odds would be brighter, Mainer, but this post is for you and a lot of others, with the same kind of guns, questions, and decisions, so, somewhat general.
    Hope, however, it helps.
  7. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

The problem with Damascus barrels is that they may look excellent on the outside, but there could be rampant rust between the strands of twisted steel which is not visible to the eye. They are not to be trusted.