damascus steel?

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by sluggermn, Feb 16, 2008.

1. buckeye14

buckeye14 New Member

These knives are awesome! I need to find me some.
    Thanks . buckeye14
  2. zb338

zb338 New Member

Nice work Dakota. I knew about Damascus shotgun barrels;
    not about knives. You put it in a way that we can understand.
    Even if we can't actually do it.

Zeke
  3. DARIN

DARIN New Member

Buckeye...If you are interested in finding and/or buying some great Damascus blades I can help. I can get you damascus knives, swords, and other type weapons or blanks of Damascus that you can shape into whatever you`d like with some easy steps as to how. I don`t know where the point of detirioration comes from. I know that there are swords across the world that can hardly be dated other than by knowing the shape, style or markings. Damascus steel does need to be cared for but that`s really no big deal because simply oiling the steel and keeping it clean is simple and an easy responsibility for any knife owner. Anyway,...if you want to buy a few or you need a link or anything just let me know.
  4. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

Damascus is gorgeous. Those photos are nice, thanks for posting. I met a blacksmith this weekend and watched him work. Just iron, but makes me want to get my forge working.
    Those pics are whetting my appetite, no pun intended.
    I do love making things out of metal.
  5. DARIN

DARIN New Member

Hey Max, there are a few great videos on youtube but you`ll have to patiently make your way through all of the crap. I ordered a DVD that has the history of Damascus which also takes you step by step, from beginning to the very end of making a Damascus sword. I am trying to find it now so that I can give you the name of it but it`s been a year or so, so I may never find the thing in my jungle of a house...LOL But, I`m sure that if you search online, you`ll be able to find something like it. Watching a blacksmith is great and getting the fundamentals of metalurgy is a must if one is going to attempt to create Damascus blades. On the other hand, I would think that creating Damascus is a bit more extensive and complex work than an average blacksmith would ever attempt so there may be conflicts in the order or methods used. Just a thought...
  6. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I just finished taking my Metallurgy/Heat Treatment class as part of the Machine Tool Technology diploma I'm working on. Unfortunately Damascus steel wasn't covered as the course was a more widely focused class.
    The blacksmith I talked to also suggested the YouTube route, he's self taught. Luckily I also have a cousin who is a blacksmith.
    I'd definitely be interested in a video like that, can you tell me where to find it? One of these days I'll have a shop together!
  7. DARIN

DARIN New Member

I see. With most metal work done by blacksmiths, the work is, in comparison, very general. With Damascus, there are many more variables. There`s also the "feel" thing if you get what I mean. Do a search for Damascus sword making online, also try Netflix. Also, be sure to search youtube and sit through`m. there`s alot of junk videos on youtube but there`s also some good ones. If I find the books and videos that I have I will get up with you in order to give you that info. Honestly, I believe that if you do just a little research online you will have very little trouble finding some of this stuff. Get back up with me if you can`t find anything and I will help you in your search.
  8. rancherodad

rancherodad New Member

Darin those are beautiful and you are a lucky man thanks for the show
  9. Zhurh

Zhurh Active Member

Max,

That hunting buddy of mine from Georgia, his brother has a forge makes nice damascus steel knives. Once I used one, had to have one. I sent him some moose antler (base) and he's making an 8 1/2 inch Bowie for my son. I'll get it this august when they come up. His personal knives were unreal and he had 4-5 on him. Tim kinda impressed me as a person, so I told him to make me one, I think it'll be 600 or 700 or 800. Is that a good deal or fair price or whatever for a custom knife? I kinda think I'll have him make me a different knife every winter. Good guy anyway, I'd buy the knife at any price kinda thing.
  10. Maximilian II

Maximilian II New Member

I've seen Damascus in stores for $1500. That's a bone hilted hunting knife with around 6-7" blade. I love looking at Damascus and lust after it, but honestly can't call myself a true judge or expert on the subject.
    I can say I'm a very interested student of the art though. And I'm a collector of cutlery. I know the modern alloys and exotic heat treatments can produce amazing blades, realistically better than Damascus in most respects. Beauty is not one of those considerations...
    If I had the $$, I'd ask for contact info.
  11. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

There is good damascus steel, and there is bad.
    Metallurgy, heat treat, and blade grind are very important.