The Firearms Forum banner

Dan Wesson 1911 Questions

5K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  coatessey 
#1 ·
I just examined a Dan Wesson 1911 45 ACP. I'm a hard core Colt man but this pistol looks great and feels good as well. Has anyone here bought and shot a Dan Wesson? I'm considering one as a gift to my Grand Son.

#4 ·
They are made by CZ and I think the same as you about CZ. It would be nice to hear from someone who has one of their Dan Wesson 1911's though.
I've bought all my guns for 40+ years from the same dealer and salesman. He puts the Dan Wesson above all other non custom pistols available today.....that should really be enough for me.

#6 ·
I've heard the same thing "grandpa" ;)
They are NOT made by CZ, however CZ USA owns Dan Wesson. DW's are made and assembled 100% in Norwich, N.Y.by Dan Wesson, and they are fine pistols. I own 3 at this time, all since November '15. it's an addiction.
DW did build a trial marketing run of 1000 1911's for CZ last year to CZ specs, with a price point close to SA and Colt. There are mixed reviews on the quality and after sale service from CZ and the rumor is that CZ will not be in the 1911 business any more.

#7 ·
Thanks for your post. Subsequent to my initial post I did learn that Dan Wesson, owned by CZ, is building the guns in Norwich.

Furthermore, we bought a Dan Wesson 1911 just this past Monday. My grandson selected the Valor and I agree with you, it is a fine pistol. I almost bought one for myself because the dealer had two for him to examine and choose from. They had consecutive serial numbers. I know I'll be kicking myself later for not buying the other one.
The Valor is a stainless steel model and it comes in brushed stainless or stainless with a black coating. He chose the black.

We haven't gone to the range yet but I can handle the gun and tell it's going to shoot. This gun has the best feel of any 1911 I've ever handled. A weight of 2.4 lbs. and a rather slim grip profile just feels so right.

#8 ·
You are one hell of a good Grandpa! But, after you shoot it, my money is on Grandpa going back to the store for the other one!
Tell your lucky Grandson to be careful with the Duty Treat coating on the black pistol. It is very tough but can be susceptible to damage from some cleaners. Be sure to clean and re-lube the pistol before the first range trip and keep it well lubed especially during break in. They are tightly fitted as I am sure you are aware and take some patience and care breaking in. Follow the owners manual directions, use the supplied lube till it's gone then switch over to FP-10 or equivalent.
Enjoy your first one!:)

#16 ·
Dan Wesson does indeed make a great 1911. Their customer service is also top notch. They replaced the front sight on my vbob as I didn't like the straight eight site. They had received my slide on a Monday afternoon and 2 days later on Wednesday evening it was on its way back to me. Mine is the matte not the duty treat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.