Dan Wesson 357 CTG 715VH4

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Datagg, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Datagg

Datagg New Member

Hi guys, Great forum, glad to be a part of it. Ok, I have a Dan Wesson 357 CTG 715VH4 with a 3/1/4 inch barrel and a 7 1/4 inch barrel. Gun is in great shape. Rubber handle also. I have the original handle and original box.

Trying to get an idea what it is worth as i may sell it. Sorry no pics, yet i can provide if need be.

I also have a Remington 788 .243 with a Tasco 3-8X40 scope. It also has what I think is a Harris Bipod also. Rifle also has strap. Soft gun case also. Rifle is in great shape.

Looking to see what you guys think they are worth... i was looking to perhaps sell on one of the gun auctions, or possibly take to a local gun shop... yet im trying to establish a basic idea as to the value you guys suggest.

Thank you so much for your time and i look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Dan

EDIT - Took a few pictures of the 357 before heading off to bed.... Sorry, used cell and not the best quality....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

G'day and welcome , the Dan Wesson's are our pilot ( Air Force) issue here a while back and a very good quality gun

value i'll leave to the US experts as here ( Australia ) thats a very very expencive gun

we have a free listings area http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51

feel free to offer it to the members here ..
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Datagg,
    Also, welcome.
    Here in Eastern PA, the original Dan Wesson's are staging a bit of a price resurg. I've seen guns in similar condition sell in the $425 to $475 range, with the extra barrel, add about $50 to $75. The DWs that are hot sellers are the cased sets with 3 or 4 barrels and the gap gauge and barrel wrench - I've seen one excellent condition "set" sell for over $900.
  4. Datagg

Datagg New Member

Thank you guys so much for your assessment. Seems I have a good piece here. Thank you also for the link to list it also. I must admit, im a bit scared if you will on how to go about selling it, shipping and payment. Any suggestions on how best to go about this for a smooth transaction.

Oh, also found a quick loader for the 357 also. So based on what Jim says, looks like I can sell it for about $550 ?

Thanks
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Datagg,
    Check local laws in Arizona for regulations concerning face-to-face private sales. If allowed consider selling to a friend, co-worker, etc. You two can haggle over the price. If you don't know the purchaser, you'd be better off conducting a TRANSFER of ownership through a licensed (FFL) dealer in your area.
    Any out of state sales/shipments of handguns falls under the Federal Regulations and you'll have far less hassles by shipping from one licensed FFL dealer to another licensed dealer. You can ship to an out-of-state dealer but will have to use one of the bulk carriers and the shipping cost will be much higher. Selling on one of the on-line auctions sites will probably gain a higher selling price than any other method, but here you will need to comply with Fed. Regs. Maybe a good place for you to start is by going to a gun shop and asking some questions - they may be willing to put in on consignment for you - if you can reach a mutually agreeable selling price - the dealer will set his tag price higher so that he can slice a bit of the pie for himself. Outright sale to a dealer/shop or pawn shop will net you 50 to 60% of real/RETAIL value.
    As to payment - the best most secure vehicle is the US POSTAL SERVICE Money Order, if you're shipping - get payment including shipping charges FIRST. CASH is the best in face-to-face sales.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  6. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

It all depends on how accurate it is. You get your big money for Dan Wessons from revolver silhouette shooters, and how much they pay is directly dependent on how it groups the load they like to shoot.
  7. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Active Member

FYI your gun, made in Monson, MA, is one of the desireable ones. Monson-made guns are considered the best of the Dan Wessons. If you advertise it, be sure to add the words "Monson-made" in the title.
  8. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    IF you do decide to sell, PM me please. I have one Dw in blue that I am dura coating. You have adesirable barrel in the 3; and a barrel that is not so desirable, the 7:. When it comes to the DWs, the 2.5, 3, and 4 inch barrels with schrouds are the ones that are most desirable UNLESS you ahve apictol pack of several barrels. I have seen pistol packs with 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, and 15 inch barrels in them in a hard case made by DW for it. that pistol pack brought over $3k at auction and it was blue as well as used. On the otehr end I have seen just the DW revolver with a 10" barrel only sell for as little as $300 in excellent condition.. Yours will bring more though being the shorter barrel with it. Do you have the original barrel wrench and gap gauge with it? That adds to it as to value.
  9. Datagg

Datagg New Member

I want to thank you all for your help and insight. I listed the 357 at BrandX if anyone wants to take a look.

The forum has been a huge help for me and again I thank you all so very much.

Bless

--Dan
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2011