Dan Wesson Sideplate

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by OldFotoMan, Feb 29, 2012.

1. OldFotoMan

OldFotoMan New Member

Anyone know where I can get a sideplate to fit a Dan Wesson model 14? This is the early model with the "L" shaped barrel shroud, and the parts books show it as being the same as the model 12. Numrich lists them for $26.50 but never seems to have any in stock. CZ says they have them and they list for about $59, but they won't sell it unless I ship the gun to them and they install it for $92 total plus shipping. Seems ridiculous to me since BATF says it's not considered the action on a revolver and can be sold to anyone. Maybe they just don't want to sell parts for these older guns, or maybe they're just trying to protect their interest and make sure it's done right. Who knows? All I know is I need one and am quite capable of replacing it myself. Any info would be appreciated.
  2. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

CZ wants them shipped to them so they can be fitted properly. They are not a drop in part. Numrich had them only because someone sold them parts from a old gun and even numrich sends a statement that it may need to be fitted. CZ does not want a complaint phone call that the part they send wont work or caused the gun to malfunction. Not questioning your ablitly but thats the way it works. Sometimes a local smith could get and fit the part for you cheaper.
  3. TRAP55

TRAP55 Active Member

4. OldFotoMan

OldFotoMan New Member

Thanks for the info guys. I'll try these places.

Their wanting to fit it properly does make sense, although I do feel confident in my own ability.

I'm just enough of a tightwad that I don't want to pay that much for an old gun that's just a good shooter. I'd be increasing my investment about 50%.