The Firearms Forum banner

Data for the Barnes TSX bullets in 223 & 5.56

11K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Steve Stewart 
#1 · (Edited)
I like the Barnes TSX ammunition and since it's fairly expensive and I am starting to reload now, I thought I'd order some bullets from them and load my own.

I downloaded their load data sheets from their website and noticed the 4895 powder mentioned which I didn't have and recalled seeing some yesterday at the local shop so off I went to pick up a bottle. I wound up with IMR4895 and should have gotten H4895. Calling Hodgdon revealed that they are indeed different enough not to replace one with the other, I called Barnes and asked if they had any load data for the IMR 4895 and am glad I called. The tech I spoke with said they had worked up quite a few loads for their bullets that weren't on their website yet and would be glad to email me the documents for both the 223 AND 5.56 chambers. Wow, instead of one or two powders listed, there were half a dozen or more for each bullet weight, including both the H4895 and the IMR4895 for the same bullets.

There were enough differences between the 223 and 5.56 load data on identical bullets that I was convinced to separate my 223 and 5.56 brass and I am going to work up separate loads for each. Ought to be interesting to see the differences.

My point for posting this is that someone else might be interested in loading the TSX bullets and should know about the revised load data sheets which aren't on their website. If you are interested in their 223 AND 5.56 load data, send me a PM with your email and I'll forward their email to me or you can just call them and ask for yourself since they probably have updated on many more calibers.

On edit: My Stag Ar-15 (m0del 8TL) is chambered for 5.56 and has the 16.5" barrel with a 1/9 twist and will also shoot 223.

See less See more
#2 ·
What bullet weights? I load the 62gr BT TSX for SD/SHTF. I have about 1500 loaded, and stored away. I will PM you.

The .556 data is intended for a .556 chamber, not just .556 brass. I wouldn't load .556 brass to .556 pressures, and shoot them in a .223 chambered gun.

You are on the right track with separating brass. I actually separate my .223/.556 brass by head stamp.

#3 ·
What bullet weights? I load the 62gr BT TSX for SD/SHTF. I have about 1500 loaded, and stored away. I will PM you.

The .556 data is intended for a .556 chamber, not just .556 brass. I wouldn't load .556 brass to .556 pressures, and shoot them in a .223 chambered gun.

You are on the right track with separating brass. I actually separate my .223/.556 brass by head stamp.
I edited my post to describe my gun. Both guides show data for 30, 36, 45, 50, 53, 55, 62 and 70 grain bullets.

I ordered some 50, 55 and 62g bullets and have enough brass to start loading 5.56 rounds separate from my 223 rounds and I am really interested in the velocity differences between them. Last year when deciding on which round to load for home defense, I made and shot some wet news print targets and the Barnes 62g was the most devastating of all the different bullets I tested with the 70g TSX coming in second.

#4 ·
Yep. That's the reason I load the 62gr TSX myself. I don't crimp them due to the grooves it the bullet. I'm also not really at .556 velocities. I just worked the load up till I had a good group at 50yrds, and had a low Standard Deviation, and Extreme Spread. I'm loading AA2230 just above .223 max. It's really a pretty stout load, but only pushes 2975 fps Avg. Per Accurate Powder's data you can load hotter to .556 pressures, but I wimped out before getting there. I figured 2975fps, SD:6, ES:11fps was good enough for home defense. This load also shoots same POA/POI as my 55gr FMJ loads.

#5 ·
I like the Barnes TSX ammunition and since it's fairly expensive and I am starting to reload now, I thought I'd order some bullets from them and load my own.

I downloaded their load data sheets from their website and noticed the 4895 powder mentioned which I didn't have and recalled seeing some yesterday at the local shop so off I went to pick up a bottle. I wound up with IMR4895 and should have gotten H4895. Calling Hodgdon revealed that they are indeed different enough not to replace one with the other, I called Barnes and asked if they had any load data for the IMR 4895 and am glad I called. The tech I spoke with said they had worked up quite a few loads for their bullets that weren't on their website yet and would be glad to email me the documents for both the 223 AND 5.56 chambers. Wow, instead of one or two powders listed, there were half a dozen or more for each bullet weight, including both the H4895 and the IMR4895 for the same bullets.

There were enough differences between the 223 and 5.56 load data on identical bullets that I was convinced to separate my 223 and 5.56 brass and I am going to work up separate loads for each. Ought to be interesting to see the differences.

My point for posting this is that someone else might be interested in loading the TSX bullets and should know about the revised load data sheets which aren't on their website. If you are interested in their 223 AND 5.56 load data, send me a PM with your email and I'll forward their email to me or you can just call them and ask for yourself since they probably have updated on many more calibers.

On edit: My Stag Ar-15 (m0del 8TL) is chambered for 5.56 and has the 16.5" barrel with a 1/9 twist and will also shoot 223.
New to site and need the Barnes data sheet for 5.56 70 gr TSX

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.