1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Date of manufacture of Browning SA 22

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by hondolane42, Jun 28, 2012.

1. hondolane42

hondolane42 New Member

I am trying to find out when my Browning SA 22 was made. It says Made in Belgium on the barrel, it has a wheel rear sight and a serial number of 8177 on the butt plate and T8177 on the face of the receiver. I have looked at the Browning serial number page on their web page but it is confusing at least to me. Can someone give me any information on this problem. Thanks very much!
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  2. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I infer that you are talking about a Browning "Take Down" 22 RF semi-auto rifle; and think that you might have your numbers reversed, The "T" prefix should be on the washer that surrounds the magazine tube within the butt-plate. The number on the face of the receiver of these rifles, often does not match and is not the rifle's USA serial number; which was not actually required on a .22 RF until 1968. However, in your case the serial numbers appear to basically match.

If the foregoing is correct, your rifle was likely imported (made) in 1956 or early 1957 as 8177 is a rather low number for a popular rifle made between 1956 an 1960. In 1961 the method of applying serial numbers changed. That is likely why you find the Browning website confusing. The "T" tells you it is .22 LR caliber. An "A" would be .22 Short until 1961. If you contact FN's (Browing & Winchester) historian named Mr. Jensen (I think) he can likely tell you the date that it was shipped and who to, if it is a higher grade rifle for engraving. I do not know if any Grade I info is available, but not published.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  3. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

Would this be the object of the inquiry? This was given me as a birthday present in 63 or 64. It was purchased at Westridge Sporting Goods in Casper, Wyoming. I have the price tag ($79.95) and owners booklet in the black envelope but sadly no box.

Mine has a serial number (2T48XXX) on the bottom of the barrel just ahead of the hand guard. It's small and easy to miss.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012