Date of manufacture : VZ-24 and K31?

Discussion in 'Curio & Relics Forum' started by Buford Allen, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

How do I determine the DOM on a Czech VZ-24 and a Swiss K-31?
    Is this determined by the Ser.# or are there other markings that are significant?
  2. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

3. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

My K31 is a 1950 according to this. Thanks.
  4. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

Buford,
    Have you taken the butt plate off your K-31 yet? When you do, you may find a tag with the name and address of the original owner, you will also find the month and year the stock was made stamped on the end of the butt. I have three K-31's, two of which had tags. One rifle had two tags in it! Let me know what you find. Good luck, Huck
  5. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

Hey, Huck, that's cool. Mine does have a tag with some writing on one side that I can't read and the ser. # on the other side. There is an X and a 50 on the buttstock. I assume this means October of 1950.
  6. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

Buford,
    That's GREAT! Is the writing hard to read because it's illegible or because it's in German? If it's German, can you post a picture of it, maybe I can help. Another great place to help with tags ( or anything Swiss) is
    www.SwissRifles.com Give them a try. Swiss rifles can also help decode the markings that are stamped on your rifles. If there's anything else I can do to help, let me know.
    Huck
  7. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

It's in German. I wasn't sure what language was spoke in Switzerland, Duh. I have an Aunt that is German and she could probably tell me what is on the tag. I'll have to work at getting a pic. I don't have a digicam right now.
  8. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

Buford,
    A lot of guys have actually gotten in touch with the soldiers who were originally issued their rifles. I've already sent off letters to Switzerland to who I hope are the owners, or families of the original owner. Here's a picture of the tags I found in my 3rd K-31. Here's the translation.
    Issued to Hans Hugi, born 1922
    Stauw.-Flab. Bttr. 1/123 ( 1st Platoon, 123rd Anti-Aircraft Battery, protecting a dam)
    Birkenweg 14 (Street Address)
    Trimbach SO (Town and Canton)
    Kind a cool!
    Huck

Attached Files:

9. Buford Allen

Buford Allen New Member

10. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

Buford,
    Just to let you know, I wrote a few letters to guys in Switzerland with the same name as on my tag. I got an e-mail from one of them yesterday. He's not the original owner of the rifle, but he's going to help me track him down!
    I'll let ya know how it turns out. Did you get your tag translated yet?
    Huck
  11. Huck Finn

Huck Finn Member

Buford,
    I just heard from the family of Hans Hugi (the Swiss soldier who was issued my K-31)! Hans passed away in 1982, but they sent me some photos of Hans and gave me some of his history. I expect to keep in touch with them. The Son in law was really helpful. I'm thinking of having some flowers wired to their home in Switzerland and asking them to place them on the grave of Hans and his wife, out of respect to a fellow soldier.
    How are things coming with your tag? Making any progress? Let me know if I can help.
    Huck