Date this IVER JOHNSON .32 TOP BREAK

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by wilb67, Jul 29, 2005.

1. wilb67

wilb67 New Member

Can someone please date this iver 32 caliber top break for me? Pic's posted.
    serial# G63384 under left side hand grip, pat's pending nov 17 on bottom of handle,iver johnson's arms &cycle works fitchburg mass. U.S.A. on top of barrel, serial #63384 on trigger gaurd,serial#63384 on barrel under top break.
    I Believe it's a third generation model but would like to know the date of manufacture and also if someone would care to repair it for me?
    Barrel will not turn when trigger is pulled. The pin under barrel does not go down quick enough to let the barrel rotate. Otherwise it works fine if the top break is open.
    Thanks, WILL.
    [​IMG]wilb67@bellsouth.net

Attached Files:

2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi wilb67......welcome to TFF.

Your IJ revolver appears to be the "Safety Automaatic Double Action (aka Old Model Safety Hammer Auto Revolver). This revolver was manufactured between 1893 and 1950.

I've got some bad news.....and some good news.

First the bad news......it isn't worth much. Even in good working condition, value is probably in the $50 to $80 range.

The good news is.....if you can find somebody to repair it, parts are available at GunPartsCorp: http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=0770zOLD MODEL SAFETY HAMMER AUTO REVOLVER

If this is "just another gun", it probably isn't worth repairing.....use it as a paperweight. If was "grandpa's gun" and has been passed down thru the family, it might be worth taking to a gunsmith and seeing what he'd charge to repair it.

BTW....."Barrel will not turn when trigger is pulled".....I think you mean the cylinder. The barrel isn't supposed to turn, the cylinder is. :)
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

wilb67,
    you are correct your revolver is a iver johnson's arms & cycle works 'third model safety automatic hammer revolver'. third models were manufactured 1909-1941. serial number G63384 was manufactured in 1922, there were 10,200 manufactured that year.

because of legalities of shipping handguns it would be best to find some one local to work on your revolver. a good pistol smith should be able to do it. on the other hand some gunsmiths today will not work on these older revolvers.

if the cylinder hand still tries to turn the cylinder then it is most likely that the front edge of the trigger (that engares the cylinder stop) is worn.
    bill