Date / Value my FN .257 Roberts

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Jzpower, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Jzpower

Jzpower New Member

My dad had been collecting guns since WWII. After his death, drawing straws with my two brothers to see who would go first, I picked the FN Roberts. It is in 99% perfect condition. There are no blemishes on the steel. All 3 visible s/n's match. (6484) It has the original sites. No modifications ever were done. From reading I understand this is a highly sought after wild game rifle. I'm sorry, but I can't go kill anything. So, I would like to sell it to someone who can appreciate the weapon, but I would like to get a fair price. Any information on this rifle would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  2. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Ah ... we seem to be confused.

There is no FN Roberts. 257 Roberts is a caliber, and FN my be Fabrique Nationale of Belgium. More info and photos are apparently needed.
  3. Jzpower

Jzpower New Member

Contenderizer hope these photo's clear up any question on the rifle.
  4. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

JZpower,
    Good photos, thank you.

You have a Fabrique Nationale, (a/k/a Fabrique Nationale d'Arms), (a/k/a FN), of Herstal, Belgium. The company was originally founded in 1889 to manufacture Mauser rifles, under license of Mauser, for the Belgian military. Over the years the company has manufactured rifles, shotguns and pistols, all of which are generally considered to be of high quality.

Your rifle is chambered in 257 Roberts, a rather light but quite capable round for all North American game except, perhaps, moose and grizzly bear. Unfortunately, it is one of those rounds that you either love ... or you never heard of.

I can not tell by the photos which model your gun is, though I suspect it may be an FN Supreme given the rear sight and the quality of the stock. If I am correct, retail value is $650 to $800 in VG or Excellent condition respectively. I suggest to do a little more research to be certain, however. Once you have established a price, drop me a PM as I may be interested.
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  5. roundball

roundball Member

My FN .257 Roberts #28xxx was dated 1954-sorry no pictures. This rifle was sold as a barreled action and stocked by Bishop. These older FN's may be dated on the receiver sometimes under the wood. Back in the day this dating was advertised. There were local unverified stories of FN actions being imported with no serial numbers period.