DBL Barrel Shotgun marked Wells Fargo, what's it worth?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Hyster, Apr 30, 2011.

1. Hyster

Hyster New Member

Hi, new here. I read another post here, and saw he was warned there are a lot of fakes. Dunno if what I have is or not, was purchased at an antique auction and has been on display-never fired it. I don't know all the names for gun parts, lol, but here's the descrp. of the gun: Engraved 'Bridge Gun Co' on metal plate near double trigger, and barrel has 'Laminated Figure Belgium' on top between barrels, and also 454 underneath double barrel. Squiggly looking scrolling on all metal parts except for barrel which is smooth. The wood around the 'neck' of the stock looks like its had some minor repairs. Gold, six-sided star underneath star w 'W.F. & Co' roughly carved into it. Looking to sell. I greatly appreciate any advice. Also, my dad had a 30/40 Krag I'm not sure I'm keeping.
  2. BullShoot

BullShoot New Member

You'll do better with the Krag than with the shotgun.
  3. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The Krag is worth more. Much more.

Bridge Gun Company was one of the many trade names used by Shapleigh Hardware on guns, mostly made by Crescent. Crescent was a good shotgun. If it was made in Belgium, it's probably not as good. Laminated makes it unsafe to fire. W.F. & Co. is 99% probability, faked. Even if it is real, Wells Fargo did not keep records so there is no way to prove it's real, so anyone with any knowledge will believe it to be fake. So, you've got an old "hardware store gun", with damascus barrels and a broken wrist (that's what the narrow piece is called - the wrist, not the neck, just FYI) that's been faked to be Wells Fargo. I'd say between 50 and 100 bucks, as a wall-hanger.

There are two types of "30/40 Krag rifles". You've got actual Krag rifles, with the loading door on the right side of the stock, and you've got rifles chambered in 30/40 Krag. I've only heard of a few rifles that were chambered in 30/40, and they were all good guns - no junk. So they will be worth money. An actual Krag rifle is worth even more money. Somewhere between 400 and a couple of thousand, depending on what you actually have and the shape it's in.
  4. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

The Wells Fargo is is 99 and 99/100 per-cent faked, the gold star ( Brass ) was standard for the owner to engrave their initials, Wells Fargo never marked any of their firearms in such a manner. As Alpo stated, you have a JAOBG ( Just another old Belgium gun ) with little value. Even if it was broken, rusted and bent, the Krag would be more valuable. Sorry about that.
  5. Hyster

Hyster New Member

Thanks for all of the prompt replies! I figured, after reading other posts about WF shotguns, that it was a real good possibility of being a fake. I think it was bought for a couple of hundred or so. As far as the Krag goes, I took it out and looked at it. My dad used it for deer hunting and put a Weaver scope on it. On the right side of the gun there is a square metal piece protruding with a metal fin on the top of it for side loading i guess. The scope is covering up an etching. Only the letters 'MORY. and 333371 can be seen. I'm assuming the scope is covering up the word ARMORY. He always called the gun a 30/40 Krag. I have no ammo for it whatsoever. What I like best about it is that the part of the stock underneath the barrell has a smooth gripping groove. Stock has wear , nicks and scratches, but seem minor. A small area where varnish is rubbed away at butt plate, which is rough. needs some tlc
    Any idea what it's worth, given those details? Thanks!
  6. Hyster

Hyster New Member

thanks! I posted some info on the krag
  7. Hyster

Hyster New Member

Love your icon, lol! I'd forgotten Speedy's cousin or brother or whatever. I posted some more info on the Krag. What my Dad told me about it when he was alive, and a description of it. Don't know if he bought it in germany when he was stationed there or not.
  8. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

The Krag-Jorgensen could be worth north of $1000 depending upon condition and originality. If it has been sporterized (receiver drilled and tapped for scope mount, and the stock altered) it loses most of it value. Sporterized Krags sell for around $250 to $300 in this area of Eastern PA. It is chambered to shoot the .30-40 Krag (also called .30 ARMY) cartridge, which was made obsolete in U.S. military service by the .30-03 and then the .30-06 Gov't cartridges. the .30-04 has external and terminal ballistics similar to the .30-30 Win. Several companies still make limited amounts of ammo in that cartridge - offerings are limited. Many are still used for deer and medium size game hunting in PA.
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yes, that be Speedy's cousin. Slowpoke Rodriguez, the slowest mouse in all Mexico. But Slowpoke is not scared of the pussy gato, no no. Because Slowpoke Rodriguez - he carry a gun.