de-capping question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by hotrod1972, Dec 26, 2011.

1. hotrod1972

hotrod1972 New Member

I am new to reloading and have a question. How do you remove un-fire primers from brass? I have some ammo that i dont trust to shoot and want to de-cap to make dummy/practice rounds with. i could just load them in my gun and pop them, but they are still loud enough that the neighbors would probably still call the police..lol
  2. RandyP

RandyP Member

I simply deprime them with my sizing/decapping die. Slow steady stroke, never had one go off yet.
  3. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Welcome to TFF Hotrod ! I don't recommend decapping live primers unless you've got safety glasses and check your surroundings just in case one does happen to go off. I usually will pop them in the backyard or WD40 them and then decap. There's always some debate as to whether or not WD actually deadens the primers, but I have struck many WD'd primers and never had a single one go off. On that note, I have decapped several live primers, very gently and steady. Never had one pop. It all comes down to : is it worth the risk, a .04c primer can cause alot of damage if you don't take into consideration that it may detonate. Don't assume that it won't, wear safetly glasses and don't decap them while you have live primers in the tube if you prime on the press.

I used to be adamant about not decapping live primers; but after doing some research and finding out about the de-mil process, along with much discussion here on the forum; I found that with proper precautions, it is reasonable to do so.
  4. mikld

mikld Active Member

+1. I've done this on several occations, no "POPS"...
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

The only time I decap live primers is either when I'm planning on reusing them, or (the occasional) one went in sideways, and is crushed.

But if I have some brass that I won't reuse them (like I had about ten pieces of brass one time that had not got put in their place, so I didn't know if they were primed with standard or magnum primers), I just load 'em in the gun and shoot 'em. Point it at the floor and "bap bap bap". It's pretty loud in the house, so put on your ears, but it can't be heard outside through the walls.
  6. hotrod1972

hotrod1972 New Member

ive got about 100 TZZ stamped 45acp that i took apart last night cause they were reloaded by someone i dont know and dont know how old they are. when i got the apart, i found alot of them that have corrosion on the inside from (im guessing) corrosive primers. There is no way i'm going to reuse them for live rounds, but since i got my press yesterday,i'll use them for learning with. I just need to de-cap them first. I might wait till new years night and just pop them off then...lol free fire crackers
  7. American Leader

American Leader Active Member

I agree with all the above, never had a problem depriming live primers. Slow & steady, and never had one not work when reused. All that being said, I'm sure it is safer discharging when possible. Welcome aboard 1972!
  8. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

Just run them through the sizing/de-capping die. If you're seeing corrosion inside the brass (I'm not familiar with those rounds), I'd only use it for set-up brass. And don't forget your safety glasses. Blind shooters have problems with target acquasition.
  9. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

you can decap them if you want. I would just do as Alpo says and pop them off then be done with them and reload the brass or toss in the trash.
  10. medalguy

medalguy Member

Yep. I've deprimed lots of live primers. Just ease the case up into the depriming die very slowly and use slow, steady pressure and it'll just pop out. Dispose of them carefully, and reprime your brass if you want to reload it. Of course, if you're planning on reloading the brass, and the primer is otherwise OK, there's no need to deprime it. Just pull the bullet, dump the powder, resize the case, and reload it as usual. This is not unusual for reloaders to have to do from time to time.
  11. Popgunner

Popgunner New Member

De-cap slowly in your press with safety glasses. Works fine for me.

Or if you do want to pop them off in your gun just grap a shop towel & bunch it up at the muzzle. You won't hardly hear a thing.